Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

How far are we going back? RTR gave us Abrupt Decay and Deathrite Shaman, as well as shocklands reprints. I'm fairly sure Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation see some fringe play in modern as well.

Voice of Resurgence is a Hatebears mainstay.

Theros block has Courser, Brimaz, and Keranos, I think Spirit of the Labyrinth saw a little play as well.

Innistrad has some stuff as well if we wanna go back three blocks.

Theros block also had Eidolon of the Great Revel, Anger of the Gods, and a reprint of Thoughtseize. RtR block also had Skullcrack and Boros Charm. And then Khans had Monastery Swiftspear and Tasigur. It is kind of funny how much power burn decks have gotten over the last few blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are apparently good but boring rules reasons why you can't just jam creature subtypes onto things.
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/426
We're talking about standard here, so just Theros, M15 and Khans. There are obviously some eternal playables but not all that many. I guess the fact that there are lots of fairly viable decks all using different cards helps spread out the cost too.

I guess what I'm looking for is the specific problem that can't be fixed by changing the rules to say, "Enchantments can have a creature subtype now."

The article basically suggests that they could, they just didn't want to because reasons.

One cited example in that article:

quote:

Since the correlations are unique, all subtypes imply their types. If a card is a Goblin, it is by definition a creature, so "creature" hasn't needed to be said.
--Example: Fever Charm says "Deal 3 damage to target Wizard." Damage can't be dealt to a noncreature permanent, yet this card doesn't say "Deal 3 damage to target Wizard creature." It doesn't have to. "Wizard," by definition, implies "creature," so this shortcut can be taken.

This sounds like the flimsiest poo poo ever. I mean, just say that non-creatures, players and Planeswalkers can't be assigned damage, right?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 13, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Theros block is full of enchantment creatures with subtypes, giving actual enchantments creature subtypes seems needlessly complex. Maybe it wouldn't have been at the time but it definitely is now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

We're talking about standard here, so just Theros, M15 and Khans. There are obviously some eternal playables but not all that many. I guess the fact that there are lots of fairly viable decks all using different cards helps spread out the cost too.

Then there are plenty of Eternal-playable cards, but Deathrite Shaman was the last card that you could jam into whatever and have it perform spectacularly, and that versatility is what drives prices wild. I mean, Brimaz has won SCG Legacy Opens but other major archetypes have no interest in his exposed nipple.

Compare Snapcaster, which asks your deck to just be blue before he starts vomiting value at you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

Theros block is full of enchantment creatures with subtypes, giving actual enchantments creature subtypes seems needlessly complex. Maybe it wouldn't have been at the time but it definitely is now.

Except creature is an actual card type. I don't see how that's confusing in any way and in fact, it seems way more confusing to have Tribal as a card type that doesn't actually do anything since Tribal cards have to be other card types as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The past few sets haven't had that much in the way of eternal playables I guess? And I guess Khans was opened so much that even the super chase lands are now at a reasonable cost.

Question for the floor- what's an "acceptable" number of eternal playables for a new block? For formats where things aren't rotating out, is there a certain number of new cards that need to be relevant in order to shake things up, or is that you need one or two cards that really make an impact? If you're trying to keep a non-rotating format fresh, which is better?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Except creature is an actual card type. I don't see how that's confusing in any way and in fact, it seems way more confusing to have Tribal as a card type that doesn't actually do anything since Tribal cards have to be other card types as well.

Are you suggesting that the word tribal is confusing because it's not a card type? I genuinely cannot understand why that would be.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Are you suggesting that the word tribal is confusing because it's not a card type? I genuinely cannot understand why that would be.

No, Tribal IS a card type.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I just genuinely don't see the issue here. This seems like an answer looking for a problem.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

No, Tribal IS a card type.
Tarmogoyf, told me so!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ultimately the reason Tribal is a card type (and not a supertype) is so that they could print Tarmogoyf as a teaser for Planeswalkers, while also introducing a new card type for it to count.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

I just genuinely don't see the issue here. This seems like an answer looking for a problem.

The issue is why does it need to be a card type instead of a supertype. I'm home and found the dtailed explanation:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/askwizards/0507

quote:

Q: Why is it that tribal is a type and not a supertype like legendary? Since it is an adjective, and because it seems more like an augmentation of the original card than an actual type of card, it seems strange and a little awkward to fit it as a type. Does this mean there will be tribal cards that are just tribal, or will they be like Bound in Silence, alterations of existing noncreature card types that allow them to have creature types? On that note, why did Bound in Silence have to be tribal at all? Why not just make it an Enchantment — Rebel Aura? Why can't the rebel subtype be used on noncreatures?
–Jacob, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

A: From Kelly Digges, Magic editor:

Rulesmeister Mark Gottlieb is out today tending his wombats, so I'll field your questions, which have appeared in the Ask Wizards box... oh, let's say "a few times."

Fair warning, though—the following is a feast for Melvin, and not for the faint of heart.

I'll start with the last question. Why was Tribal necessary at all? Why not just print an enchantment with the Rebel and Aura subtypes? That single card might seem innocuous, but the deeper issue here has to do with some very important rules that prevent some very silly things. See, rule 205.3d in the Comprehensive Rules states that—stop me if you've heard this one—each card type has its own possible list of subtypes, except for two pairs of types that share their list of subtypes. One such pair is instant and sorcery, allowing both of those to be Arcane; the other is creature and tribal.

If 205.3d didn't exist, we'd have a lot more freedom in adding subtypes to things. Instead of Arcane, we could have just made instants and sorceries that were Spirits! (That's ignoring the obvious problems that arise with splice.) Of course, we can't just have a generic list of subtypes, because it seems clear that Imagecrafter shouldn't turn things into Shrines or Equipment. So we could just define "creature types" as those subtypes that have been printed on a creature, right? (Well, or given to a creature, or created as a creature token...) That way Volrath's Laboratory can't make Forests. Oh, wait, crud, what about Dryad Arbor and Life and Limb? Now Mistform Ultimus taps for Green Mana, because Forest has been printed on a creature! This is what we call a Bad Thing, and we avoid the whole mess by keeping discrete lists of subtypes.

So we have 205.3d to keep the lists of subtypes separate (except the ones that share nice), and we have 205.3e to state explicitly that for cards with multiple types (such as Bound in Silence), each subtype gets correlated to the correct type. That second one keeps us from landing in the exact same trouble that 205.3d is meant to prevent.

Of course, that leaves the question of why tribal couldn't be a supertype like legendary or basic. The issue here is that subtypes are correlated with types, while supertypes aren't (205.3d again, in a big-ticket team-up with 205.4a). So what exactly would the tribal supertype mean? Would it mean that this object can have creature subtypes, or would it mean that this object's types can have creature subtypes correlated with them? The first causes big problems with 205.3d, and the second gets weird if the permanent starts losing types, as with Neurok Transmuter or Soul Sculptor. You could argue that tribal still applies to the new types, so the subtypes are kept, but then you've got something that works differently than other cards do when types change... These issues aren't necessarily intractable, but they're messy and counterintuitive either way, and everything works a lot more cleanly if tribal is a type. The rules do specify, however, that tribal always appears on cards that have at least one other type (that's 212.8a, for those keeping score at home).

So why does it "sound like" a supertype? I can't speak to this one as easily, as I wasn't here yet when the decision was made, but as I understand it the name "tribal" was chosen because it's evocative and descriptive, and it's already associated with creature types for established players. Some people argue that it should be a noun, because all types are nouns (like instant... well, in some definitions), and not an adjective the way supertypes are (like snow and, um, world...).

Okay, I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek there, but what I'm saying is that these are "rules" we bend when the actual rules and creative needs dictate. Most players can play the game thinking that tribal is a supertype, or ignoring it entirely, and not be affected at all. If you need to know that tribal is a card type, odds are you already do.

Whew! We're done, and I didn't even have to say "tribals."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then there are plenty of Eternal-playable cards, but Deathrite Shaman was the last card that you could jam into whatever and have it perform spectacularly, and that versatility is what drives prices wild. I mean, Brimaz has won SCG Legacy Opens but other major archetypes have no interest in his exposed nipple.

Compare Snapcaster, which asks your deck to just be blue before he starts vomiting value at you.
Good point. I guess what I really mean is that they don't really have as many (new) stone-cold staples that go into loads of different decks (except formerly Treasure Cruise I guess, which is a common).

AlternateNu posted:

Theros block also had Eidolon of the Great Revel, Anger of the Gods, and a reprint of Thoughtseize. RtR block also had Skullcrack and Boros Charm. And then Khans had Monastery Swiftspear and Tasigur. It is kind of funny how much power burn decks have gotten over the last few blocks.
Yeah burn has made out like a bandit from the last few sets (there's also Destructive Revelry for the sideboard). And they're possibly about to get Skullcrack 5-8 in Modern.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

Ultimately the reason Tribal is a card type (and not a supertype) is so that they could print Tarmogoyf as a teaser for Planeswalkers, while also introducing a new card type for it to count.

Didn't they use it in futuresight first? I thought there's a pacifism variant that is a rebel that they used to show off the mechanic.

C-Euro posted:

Question for the floor- what's an "acceptable" number of eternal playables for a new block? For formats where things aren't rotating out, is there a certain number of new cards that need to be relevant in order to shake things up, or is that you need one or two cards that really make an impact? If you're trying to keep a non-rotating format fresh, which is better?

A single card like treasure cruise, mental misstep, deathrite shaman can warp a whole format on their own.

If you're trying to keep a non-rotating format fresh, I think having several low-power playables is probably better to one format warping superstar. It's more fun when a lot of different decks get some new tools and new variants can happen, but when you have a format warping superstar come out what it really does is push out a lot of fringe decks and improve the blue decks.

Cards like Young Pyromancer and Brimaz are examples of the kind of power level I'm talking about having several of come out at any given time.

Snapcaster is pretty awesome but he's still not as format warping as DRS/TC/MM.

Bumping this from a few pages ago,

Does anyone have any recommendations for which duel decks are fun / to avoid from the recent releases?

My girlfriend is interested in magic and I want some fun/balanced decks to graduate her into once she gets bored of the trial decks I have.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 13, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Didn't they use it in futuresight first? I thought there's a pacifism variant that is a rebel that they used to show off the mechanic.

Yeah, its bound in silence. You can search it up with Amrou Scout.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for which duel decks are fun / to avoid from the recent releases?

My girlfriend is interested in magic and I want some fun/balanced decks to graduate her into once she gets bored of the trial decks I have.

Phyrexia vs. the Coalition is probably the worst balanced. Black vs. five color wonky mana base is just asking for trouble. Every other one I've played is pretty reasonably balanced though. I liked Izzet vs. Golgari and Sorin vs. Tibalt(Sure you end up with Tibalt, but his deck itself is fun)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Bumping this from a few pages ago,

I liked Jace v Vraska, the decks are well-balanced and have a fun dynamic if you don't mind fairly slow games.

Plus as a new player it's difficult not to cackle with glee when you get Vraska out and start blowing everything up

e: why do you only get two assassin tokens though :argh:

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 13, 2015

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Sigma-X posted:

I know it's slightly off-point, but my friends and I found that the Commander 2014 decks are well-balanced against one another right out of the box. It might be too wide a variety of things to throw at her at this stage, but what the hell.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Sigma-X posted:

If you can find it, Koth vs. Venser is my go to. Failing that, Jace vs. Vraska is alright and Sorin vs. Tibalt is fun.

Knights vs. Dragons and Phyrexia vs. The Coalition are the only ones I would say actively avoid.

Also don't forget the Clash Packs exist for Magic 2015 and Fate Reforged. They're basically just standard specific Duel Decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For a few years, Mana Source was a separate card type.

There was a point where I somehow knew that mana sources can't be countered, but didn't know about Errata, so I told my friends that they could counter my other copies of Dark Ritual but not that one. I think we finally looked up how cards work when one of my friends started running 4 Dark Ritual and 4 Rito Oscuro in his deck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Tell that to the "mythics" cards, i'm pretty sure we will find common cards that are better than these... AAARGH but WTF! How it is even POSSIBLE to imagine a 9ccm card doing just... THAT playable?? And MYTHIC!

AT 4 ccm i'm not even sure this would have been used out of limited but 9??? COME ON!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Someone getting mad about the Clone thing we got today?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

It almost reads like that post I think was linked here where the guy who had only ever played Hearthstone (but had someone quick explain how to play magic to him one time) critiqued some expensive magic cards.

I don't want to call a dude out for not understanding wizard poker very well, but do you mean the dude in this thread who didn't understand why you would pay life for something and didn't think the shocks and bob are very good?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

compton rear end terry posted:

I've been out of magic for a long time. Looking at recent winning standard decks. Since when can you build competituve standard decks for ~$200? The top 8 of GP Miami are all under $250.

The top 8 of a single GP are not the end all be all of competitive decks, dude.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I don't want to call a dude out for not understanding wizard poker very well, but do you mean the dude in this thread who didn't understand why you would pay life for something and didn't think the shocks and bob are very good?

It was a thing on Reddit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Having played Hearthstone a bit now I can see why he thought Bob was bad - it's because it would be a really bad card in Hearthstone for a few different reasons.
- Hearthstone is a lot less kind to undersize creatures (in Hearthstone 3/2s and 2/3s for 2 are standard). If your opponent plays a 2/3 then you play a 2/1 they are going to eat it immediately since they can target their attacks at your creatures.
- Having 1 toughness is way worse in Hearthstone than in M:tG. Three out of nine heroes can basically always kill a 1 toughness creature without even spending a card, and there are a fair few "ping, draw a card" spells too. This combined with the previous factor means that Dark Confidant would actually usually cause you to lose card advantage in Hearthstone.
- There is a 2/1 for 2 that gives you a card when it dies. This is almost always going to be better than Dark Confidant since it's incredibly unlikely to survive two turns (and it's not even that great a card anyway).
- Mana curves are higher in Hearthstone, there are no lands, and aggro is usually a very powerful strategy. The damage taken would be larger and it's likely to be relevant quite often.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 13, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

One cited example in that article:

This sounds like the flimsiest poo poo ever. I mean, just say that non-creatures, players and Planeswalkers can't be assigned damage, right?

Tribal doesn't even do anything solve that problem. Which is why in the Oracle text, Fever Charm now targets a Wizard creature.

The other objection raised in the article:

quote:

Flavor
Each subtype makes flavor sense for its type. Furthermore, the subtypes don't merely describe or classify their cards, they say what those cards actually are in the Magic realm. A "Creature — Goblin Shaman" is a goblin shaman in the same way that I'm a human gamer. Honden of Infinite Rage is a Shrine.

As soon as "Land — Goblin" is printed, these distinctions crumble.

Tribal certainly doesn't address that either. Eyeblight's Ending pretty clearly isn't an Elf in the same sense that I am a human.

e: I guess it would slightly change how Neurok Transmuter works, but... does that actually matter?

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 13, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, I just lucked out. Got two foil restoration Angels for 7 bucks each. My LGS's owner took three in trade the other day for store credit, and he didn't pay attention to the fact that two were foil. I didn't notice, either, until just now when I was adding them to my inventory.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
You realize, of course, that honor demands that you...

....never ever tell him he got the raw end of that deal. Seriously, keep your mouth shut and keep buying like you're god's own little angel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's clearly just a miracle, no need to come clean with him.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, right, considering that I pointed out the fact that he had 10 rabblemasters in his dollar box after they jumped up in price.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Yeah, but see, he hadn't sold those yet. That wasn't value he'd already lost.

If you tell him that he gave you a couple of foils for way less than he could have, he'll feel pretty lovely, because he can't just go back on his deal.

I guess you could give him the price difference though. That'd be cool-dude of you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Breaking your own staunchly defended rules is fine as long as it pertains to the latest set.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Breaking your own staunchly defended rules is fine as long as it pertains to the latest set.

There are cards at common that care about Dragons right? I'd say that still counts.

EDIT: Also, he could have just blamed development, there was a common Dragon (or even a cycle?)

VV: True, I suppose. I was referring to how someone can crack a booster an expect a bunch of mentions of dragons, at least, but yeah I see it.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 13, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Serperoth posted:

There are cards at common that care about Dragons right? I'd say that still counts.

I wouldn't because they rely on cards of higher rarity.

quote:

EDIT: Also, he could have just blamed development, there was a common Dragon (or even a cycle?)

Yeah, but the fact that he didn't is half the point.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Alaan posted:

Phyrexia vs. the Coalition is probably the worst balanced. Black vs. five color wonky mana base is just asking for trouble. Every other one I've played is pretty reasonably balanced though. I liked Izzet vs. Golgari and Sorin vs. Tibalt(Sure you end up with Tibalt, but his deck itself is fun)

I would put "izzet vs golgari" on the maybe list. Graveyard mechanics in golgari are sometimes intimidating to new players. I played it with 2 new players and 1 was intimidated by the graveyard stuff and one tried to understand it but never fully got why it was good. YMMV :shrug:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sigma-X posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on recent duel decks for casual play?

I would avoid Elspeth vs Kiorra. There are some sweet cards in there but the Elspeth deck is undertuned. It doesn't have enough aggro to overtake Kiorra's ramp and there's more than enough bounce in Kiorra to handle it anyway. If Elspeth can come out by turn 5 or 6, she wins, otherwise she loses basically every time. You have to make serious adjustments to how the Elspeth deck plays just to make it an even match. I don't really know what the designers were thinking.

The Fate vs Fury decks, however, are awesome. Hypnotic Siren and all the Bestow cards make some hilarious moments. The Fury (GR ramp) deck plays very smoothly and is easy to rework further into a strong devotion deck with a few tweaks. It's a great way to get introduced to the building blocks of some competitive staples right now (Satyr Wayfinder, Genesis Hydra, Courser of Kruphix, etc).

I've *heard* that the Jace vs Chandra deck is great but I can't speak on the Khans ones (Power vs Profit, Speed vs Cunning). I'm interested if anyone has opinions on those.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Rinkles posted:

Do you think anyone is going to miss that dragons are the main theme of this set?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Wait, this is a dragons set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
asfan?

• Locked thread