Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

hot sauce posted:

So does this cradle just hold the 3ds after you plug in the wire? Or does it actually charge like the OG 3ds cradle?

Charges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just want the loving adapter. :negative:
As was stated, get the Mayflash one. It's excellent. And available.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Someone had asked many pages back about the Black Woodgrain Decalgirl skin, so some pics:

I actually put the outside on last, which was probably both smart and a mistake, since hte inside didn't come out as well. I would say overall you should probably NOT necessarily listen to their advice of putting the small pieces on first and the larger ones last, with some exceptions.

Edge on of the back, where the thin hinge piece meets the top cover piece. this is the only place where things don't really end up flush, so it's up to you to decide if you want the hinge flush with the inside top screen or if you want it flush from the outside, which you would only see when the thing is closed.

The back was actually the easiest to put on, but I also put it on last and that's why it basically went on perfectly aligned.

Note that the speaker holes are slightly off... in general all the small holes in this top piece were a pain in the rear end, so this is the hardest piece to put on. Also notice how I sort of messed up on the straight alignment of the thin strip at the bottom of the screen because I had already put the hinge piece on (as the instructions recommended) so I had very little room for error since the decal is loving awesome at sticking to itself. (put the hinge piece on last) We'll get into the bubble later.

Bottom pieces were pretty easy to put on, the bottom screen border might be the trickiest bit. Also note the ends of the hinge have small little stickers of their own. I made the mistake of putting the left one on first and then the right side one didn't line up with my flush masterwork because of the hole in it for the notification light, so put the that side on first and then line up the other side the same way if you're super anal. The piece for the buttons leaves very little leeway around the buttons, but rest assured they all depress just fine, though I was slightly off. Those two pieces were the first ones I put on, which in retrospect was pretty stupid since they're the most important functional spaces on the machine.

Close in of the little bubble which I tried to get as centered and linear as possible without ripping/stretching the vinyl, to make it at least look like less of a fuckup. I made the mistake of applying the thing right to left when you should totally do it top-bottom and LAST. Notice how the edges sort of fuckup witht eh top inside bit, as mentioned above.

Overall I'd say the matte finish is AMAZING and I'm not having the oily smudge issue that other goon complained about, but then I don't sweat like fiend like apparently everyone in this thread does. :smugbert: If I were to apply another skin, I'd make the adjustments in order and placement as mentioned above to really make sure I got the best finished product, but live and learn... I really like the overall look and the feel of the unit with the decal on is actually a lot grippier and nice. Definitely would recommend grabbing SOME sort of decal, if you want something that's sedate and kinda classy, this Black Woodgrain one is your best bet, it looks goddamn amazing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

hot sauce posted:

So does this cradle just hold the 3ds after you plug in the wire? Or does it actually charge like the OG 3ds cradle?

Yup, it's the same as other Nintendo product charging docks. You plug the adapter into the cradle, then just drop the 3DS into the cradle to charge. It uses the two copper contacts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fuzz posted:

This looks great

I have a red one, though. Kinda thinking about getting something now, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

KennyMan666 posted:

As was stated, get the Mayflash one. It's excellent. And available.

I should have mentioned this before. I'm such a Nintendo fanboy that I tend to only purchase properly licensed accessories. Plus I don't like Mayflash products in general from past history.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It continues to suck to be stuck under Nintendo of Australia's division.

We got the first 3D classic of this latest Sega batch, but missed out on Fantasy Zone for seemingly no reason, and now it looks like we won't be getting Outrun either.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

Someone had asked many pages back about the Black Woodgrain Decalgirl skin, so some pics:

I actually put the outside on last, which was probably both smart and a mistake, since hte inside didn't come out as well. I would say overall you should probably NOT necessarily listen to their advice of putting the small pieces on first and the larger ones last, with some exceptions.

Edge on of the back, where the thin hinge piece meets the top cover piece. this is the only place where things don't really end up flush, so it's up to you to decide if you want the hinge flush with the inside top screen or if you want it flush from the outside, which you would only see when the thing is closed.

The back was actually the easiest to put on, but I also put it on last and that's why it basically went on perfectly aligned.

Note that the speaker holes are slightly off... in general all the small holes in this top piece were a pain in the rear end, so this is the hardest piece to put on. Also notice how I sort of messed up on the straight alignment of the thin strip at the bottom of the screen because I had already put the hinge piece on (as the instructions recommended) so I had very little room for error since the decal is loving awesome at sticking to itself. (put the hinge piece on last) We'll get into the bubble later.

Bottom pieces were pretty easy to put on, the bottom screen border might be the trickiest bit. Also note the ends of the hinge have small little stickers of their own. I made the mistake of putting the left one on first and then the right side one didn't line up with my flush masterwork because of the hole in it for the notification light, so put the that side on first and then line up the other side the same way if you're super anal. The piece for the buttons leaves very little leeway around the buttons, but rest assured they all depress just fine, though I was slightly off. Those two pieces were the first ones I put on, which in retrospect was pretty stupid since they're the most important functional spaces on the machine.

Close in of the little bubble which I tried to get as centered and linear as possible without ripping/stretching the vinyl, to make it at least look like less of a fuckup. I made the mistake of applying the thing right to left when you should totally do it top-bottom and LAST. Notice how the edges sort of fuckup witht eh top inside bit, as mentioned above.

Overall I'd say the matte finish is AMAZING and I'm not having the oily smudge issue that other goon complained about, but then I don't sweat like fiend like apparently everyone in this thread does. :smugbert: If I were to apply another skin, I'd make the adjustments in order and placement as mentioned above to really make sure I got the best finished product, but live and learn... I really like the overall look and the feel of the unit with the decal on is actually a lot grippier and nice. Definitely would recommend grabbing SOME sort of decal, if you want something that's sedate and kinda classy, this Black Woodgrain one is your best bet, it looks goddamn amazing.

drat this looks sweet. I thought woodgrain would be all PT Cruiser or some poo poo but it looks good.

Is that bubble actually a bubble or just a crease? You can probably use a needle to pop it :shrug:

e: got home and set up my cradle. I like this thing a lot more than I thought I would. I was kind of hoping that I could be pissed at Nintendo for selling me a stupid piece of $9 plastic but now I'm :allears: I should have known better.

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 13, 2015

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Astro Nut posted:

Oh yeah, couple deals for UK goons: The Game Collection (Yes, an actual website) has Majora's Mask 3DS at £24.95 and Monster Hunter 4 for £28.95, though that's honestly just a pound less than what Amazon will get you (though still better than Nintendo or GAME). Both deals go in about six hours.

Someone mentioned this site earlier in the thread, and it's now my absolute go-to for sealed 3DS games. A week ago, they were selling Monster Hunter 4 for £25 shipped, and Theatrhythm Curtain Call for £12 shipped.

quote:

I'm admittedly thinking of saving up for a new 3DS sometime later in the year, to replace my current XL, and I'm curious what the general mood about the two successor models is. Ie, is the increase in the size of the base 3DS good enough that the extra size of the XL is not really so necessary, or is the increased price for a bigger size still justified?

I've been playing on a 2DS since that came out, and after switching to a New 3DS, I've really noticed the increase in screen size. It's bigger and heavier than the 2DS, but the stable 3D and the larger screens definately justified the upgrade.

From what I played of my housemate's New 3DS XL before picking up the base model, I don't really see it having any benefits. It's certainly REALLY BIG, but the base model is big enough, feels comfortable and definitely looks a lot nicer with the Xenoblade or Majora's Mask cover plates on. If they were both the same price, I'd probably choose the base model over the XL model any day.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 13, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

remember when the 3DS not only came with a charger but actually came with a cradle smdh what a world etc etc :corsair:

Nintendo is really weird with accessories. You still cannot find the Gamecube WiiU adapter anywhere. Tons of Gamecube controllers, though! :thumbsup:

I think with piracy becoming a real thing on the 3DS, Nintendo is crazy to get rid of Club Nintendo. Penny wise, pound foolish and all that.

I had a standing cradle charger for the DSiXL that looked just like the new3DS one. Only difference is the DSiXL obviously didn't have metal contacts, so it just kind of "pushed" into the charging port. It was pretty sweet regardless. Wanna get one for my new3DS when Nintendo restocks.

My WiiU came with a pile of plastic poo poo I just threw into a drawer but the 3DS is so cut rate they stripped the charger

How does that work

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just grabbed Mighty Switch Force 2, because why the hell not for $1.49. Is there any reason to play the first one since the second came out?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ragequit posted:

Just grabbed Mighty Switch Force 2, because why the hell not for $1.49. Is there any reason to play the first one since the second came out?

Not really, but it's also $1.49 for the same type of gameplay.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

So if anyone is looking for og 3ds's it looks like nintendo sent the last ones out to walmart recently were buried in them here. Got over a dozen more all red ones in the back too. Still $169 though

Edit: also Pokemon battle trozei is actually pretty fun if infuriating.

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 13, 2015

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just hit platinum for the first time with 600 coins. What happens now? Can I spend my coins on say Super Mario 3D Land and then later this month I'll get to choose a free game as a platinum reward?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Housh posted:

I just hit platinum for the first time with 600 coins. What happens now? Can I spend my coins on say Super Mario 3D Land and then later this month I'll get to choose a free game as a platinum reward?

Yup

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Housh posted:

Yes the coins are deducted from your usable balance while your reward status remains gold or platinum.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nintendo is so stupid with naming conventions and this is the worst. Putting New as part of the name makes search queries come up primarily with new copies of the "old" 3DS.
Finding one online proved to be a hassle, even with the normal search engine tricks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Inzombiac posted:

Nintendo is so stupid with naming conventions and this is the worst. Putting New as part of the name makes search queries come up primarily with new copies of the "old" 3DS.
Finding one online proved to be a hassle, even with the normal search engine tricks.
Imagine searching for one on ebay. I started out doing that, until I followed some advice in this thread that I should probably buy from a brick-and-mortar store so I have some recourse if I got a lemon. Amazon.com is the only online retailer with a return policy worth two shits, and they don't have the Nu3DS.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Housh posted:

Yes

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Seriously, check Toys R Us. They probably have them in stock. They do out here, and I'm in the most densely populated area of the country, by far.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
My Walmart has 3 news in stock right now. If you can't find one, I can buy you one for price + shipping + tax + $5 + beef jerky.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

My Walmart has 3 news in stock right now. If you can't find one, I can buy you one for price + shipping + tax + $5 + beef jerky.

And a dick suckin'

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Guys, I'm looking for more games that have the SNES/GBA 16-bit art style for the 3DS. Almost exactly like what Shantae does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9f67LN_PQc

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

noirstronaut posted:

Guys, I'm looking for more games that have the SNES/GBA 16-bit art style for the 3DS. Almost exactly like what Shantae does:

Have you played Shovel Knight? It's a good game. Though it's more 8-bit than 16--bit.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So I need 20 coins. What to get to put me over that edge? Kirby Kirby Kirby gets me what 40?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There simply aren't a lot of high-quality pixel art games for 3DS for whatever reason. Shantae and Shovel Knight are at the top of the heap, and then there's the first Adventure Time game, the Epic Mickey game (it's no fun but it looks great), less detailed stuff like Nicalis'/Renegade Kid's games... Steel Empire, I guess?

There also the 3D Classics, of course.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uhh I searched for Nintendo new 3ds, found nintendos site and they linked to retailers where I promptly bought one. It was pretty easy.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Fetus posted:

Have you played Shovel Knight? It's a good game. Though it's more 8-bit than 16--bit.

Shovel Knight is super good, I don't usually enjoy those kind of games but Shovel Knight is divine please buy it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

dog days are over posted:

Shovel Knight is super good, I don't usually enjoy those kind of games but Shovel Knight is divine please buy it

Its soundtrack is Megaman 1-3 addictive for good reason. Its worth it for the soundtrack alone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Inzombiac posted:

The box says "new" on it as do the sites that sell it. It is advertised as the "new" 3ds. It's also the only one that is $200. Unless you are in a different country than the US this shouldn't be a struggle.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

The box says "new" on it as do the sites that sell it. It is advertised as the "new" 3ds. It's also the only one that is $200. Unless you are in a different country than the US this shouldn't be a struggle.

Those things don't exactly help when formulating search engine queries, which is where his complaints originate.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't see a problem?

https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+new+3ds&oq=buy+new+3ds+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2102j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Hm, yeah. Now that I actually try searching for it myself, it definitely seems fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, the big annual Level-5 event is scheduled for next month, and they're promising talk on two new Yokai Watch games (YW3 and Yokai Busters, which I guess is a hunting game based on the multiplayer mode from YW2), Layton 7 (which was announced years ago, who knows what's up with that), Fantasy Life 2 and some new collaborative and/or cross-media projects.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

noirstronaut posted:

Besides those mentioned...

Azure Striker GUNVOLT
Shantae Risky's Revenge (DSiWare, 3DS Remake coming)
XeoDrifter
OlliOlli
Witch and Hero
The Legend of Dark Witch
Phoenix Wright Trilogy (gba ports)
Rabi Laby (3 is on 3DS, 1 and 2 DSiWare)
Glory of Generals
Another World 20th Anniversary
World/European Conqueror 3D (sorta)

Tons more DSiWare too, like Commandos Steel Disaster

Also if 3D classics count:
3D Shinobi III
3D Sonic
3D Fantasy Zone
3D Streets of Rage
3D Ecco the Dolphin
And those are just the sidescrolling ones

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I was spreading misinformation and must be stopped. :geno:

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 13, 2015

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not sure if I could do that to myself again.

The first one sort of just ate 150 hours of my life away at some point. It probably helps that we were in the progress of moving internationally, so I had nothing but time to spare, but still.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

My New 3DS is kawaii.

Too bad Europe won't get the theme to go with it but still totally worth overpaying on eBay for.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

il-landier posted:

Too bad Europe won't get the theme to go with it but still totally worth overpaying on eBay for.
Nippon Yasan sells Japanese cover plates for cost price + international shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cardboard Box A posted:

Besides those mentioned...

Azure Striker GUNVOLT
Shantae Risky's Revenge (DSiWare, 3DS Remake coming)
XeoDrifter
OlliOlli
Witch and Hero
The Legend of Dark Witch
Phoenix Wright Trilogy (gba ports)
Rabi Laby (3 is on 3DS, 1 and 2 DSiWare)
Glory of Generals
Another World 20th Anniversary
World/European Conqueror 3D (sorta)

Tons more DSiWare too, like Commandos Steel Disaster

Also if 3D classics count:
3D Shinobi III
3D Sonic
3D Fantasy Zone
3D Streets of Rage
3D Ecco the Dolphin
And those are just the sidescrolling ones

Thanks for the list! Sadly, I think I'm looking for some games a bit more SNES. Shantae, OlliOlli (kinda), Azure Striker, and 3D Outrun are 16-bit (inspired) and have that style that I'm going for.