Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please buy all of the Sega 3D games. Not only do they own, they'll scratch your pixel itch. I spent a couple hours last night playing Outrun, and it is gorgeous.

I'm perhaps a bit biased, as I pumped a ton of quarters into the local (Pizza Hut, lol) standup outrun cab as a childe, but it's a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

3D Outrun is sooo good.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They need to hit up Disney and somehow get Shadows of the Empire in 3D and remade on this.

Also if we're talking 16 bit 2D classics, where are my motherfucking Strider and Desert/Jungle/Nuclear Strike?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone played Lego city undercover on a nn3ds? I'm wondering if the long load times of the original are cut down?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fuzz posted:

They need to hit up Disney and somehow get Shadows of the Empire in 3D and remade on this.

Also if we're talking 16 bit 2D classics, where are my motherfucking Strider and Desert/Jungle/Nuclear Strike?

That or some Rogue Squadron games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wamdoodle posted:

That or some Rogue Squadron games.

I'd do terrible, terrible things to get the Rogue Squadron games ported to the 3DS, Buick and all. The first two, anyway.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently Level 5 are having some kind of event next month where they're announcing a new Layton, Fantasy Life and Yokai Watch 3

http://www.level5.co.jp/vision2015/

E: oh ok I should read the thread more carefully but I'm excited for more Layton

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Factor 5 made an enhanced Rogue Squadron compilation for Wii but Lucasarts didn't release it because reasons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For everyone in NA who is still all crabby about not getting the new small 3ds, take solace in the fact that the nn3dsxl has IPS screens and all other revisions, even non-xl new 3ds's have TN.

The bottom screens are still TN panels all around.

Look at dem viewing angles:

http://i.imgur.com/kHG0Web.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/raaKqQR.jpg

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Does/did Layton still sell well when it came to the 6th installment?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It did okay but it was definitely petering off.

Layton 7 was announced for iOS and maybe 3DS a few years back; what they showed looked very different to the previous games and Layton himself wasn't featured anywhere.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For everyone in NA who is still all crabby about not getting the new small 3ds, take solace in the fact that the nn3dsxl has IPS screens and all other revisions, even non-xl new 3ds's have TN.

I don't know what those acronyms mean so I can't take any solace in this.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For those of us that aren't hardware engineers, what do any of these acronyms mean and what are the implications of them?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

For those of us that aren't hardware engineers, what do any of these acronyms mean and what are the implications of them?

It's better.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Do people often play their 3DSes at a 90 degree angle or

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

TN panels are the original LCD technology used in most cheaper monitors, looks shittier but has really fast response time. IPS panels look nicer in general, I believe it's what iPads use for their displays.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So what you're saying is that Apple should buy Nintendo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

So what you're saying is that Apple should buy Nintendo

Didn't this almost happen once?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I said come in! posted:

Didn't this almost happen once?

That was Microsoft.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

take solace in the fact that the nn3dsxl

:stare:

Wait, what? So there is the New 3DS XL (n3dsxl) and a New, New 3DS XL (nn3dsxl). Im not even trolling. Im lost. :saddowns:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

eightysixed posted:

Wait, what? So there is the New 3DS XL (n3dsxl) and a New, New 3DS XL (nn3dsxl). Im not even trolling. Im lost. :saddowns:

New Nintendo 3DS XL I'm guessing. C'mon, keep up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

eightysixed posted:

It's gold and the next Zelda is exclusive to it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Louisgod posted:

New Nintendo 3DS XL I'm guessing. C'mon, keep up.

Oh. Well then. :smith:

Whatever, I'm still enjoying my non-xl Version 1 Nintendo 3DS :colbert:

e: my nxlv1n3ds

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 13, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

eightysixed posted:

Look at this plebeian.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

sup nxlv1n3ds buddy :hehe:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IPS is an acronym for in-plane switching. The technology allows the pixels to kinda shift around, which improves the quality of the display from an angle. That's all it does, though. Head on, it's equivalent to any other panel.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there some technology bullshit going on to make games look really great on the XL now? Code Name STEAM has an almost retina-like (whatever the right term is, pixel density?) quality to it whereas I remember older games looking a bit stretched on the XL.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Code Name STEAM has an almost retina-like (whatever the right term is, pixel density?) quality to it

No it doesn't.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Is there some technology bullshit going on to make games look really great on the XL now? Code Name STEAM has an almost retina-like (whatever the right term is, pixel density?) quality to it whereas I remember older games looking a bit stretched on the XL.

yeah you are actually out of your mind

Still giving the game a chance though

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

noirstronaut posted:

What games look stretched? The resolution and scale are the same between the OG 3DS and XL minus the pixel density being less in the XL. I wonder if IPS was needed due to the 3D headtracking?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

epitasis posted:

yeah you are actually out of your mind

Still giving the game a chance though

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. would be a great game even if you had an original Fisher Price 3DS.

Louisgod posted:

What games look stretched? The resolution and scale are the same between the OG 3DS and XL minus the pixel density being less in the XL. I wonder if IPS was needed due to the 3D headtracking?

MK7 looks noticeably stretched whenever I play it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cat Machine posted:

Do people often play their 3DSes at a 90 degree angle or

Well, the ips screen and it's great viewing angle, combined with the gyroscope, combined with the face tracking, means you can tilt your 3ds all over and still see it. That's a pretty big deal over TN screens or no face tracking or both

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Louisgod posted:

I wonder if IPS was needed due to the 3D headtracking?

The poster who mentioned this said the small New 3DS doesn't have an IPS screen, so the head-tracking can't really have anything to do with it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
So is Codename S.T.E.A.M. good or is it poo poo. I have seen both sides of the spectrum online.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

NickRoweFillea posted:

So is Codename S.T.E.A.M. good or is it poo poo. I have seen both sides of the spectrum online.

It's good, but Alien Movement could be the name of the Special Olympics.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

in my opinion it is solid with a likely upgrade to dope af once I get my lucina amiibo and get bae in the game swording dudes

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Playing STEAM and I finished up the first chapter or whatever you wanna call it. I think it's a good game mechanically but the Alien Movement really is abysmal. I heard it was bad and braced myself but oh my lord it is far worse then I thought.

Biggest problem I had was in mission 3 when I noticed there were infinitely spawning enemies. In a game like this who thought that was a good idea? First two maps lacked infinite spawns so hoping it's a rare thing but that alone has me a little nervous.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NickRoweFillea posted:

It depends entirely on your tolerance of enemy phase waiting. If you're expecting Fire Emblem speed of turn combat, don't try this. Imagine the same XCOM "process each enemy turn" thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know of any brands that sell flat USB chargers? Trying to not import one from Japan for rear end many dollars.

Also, did anyone receive their shipping notification yesterday for their dock? I got mine, but the actual page has the same information and there's no tracking number. Should I just wait and see what happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Codename Steam still have long enemy turns in the full version even on New 3DS? I really liked the demo but the waiting is awful.