Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm always kinda sad I basically missed 4e due to doing pretty much all my RPG playing on IRC or with people who were diehard 3.5 champions back during its heyday. I should give it a try some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If I didn't had an ircgame going on I could try gming a 4e game on roll20 or something

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Exalted being crunchy isn't bad, it's that it's a crunchy system on top of Storyteller which was not really built to hold all that weight. In theory they could fix it but I have a feeling it would require making some really key changes to how the whole thing works.

Yeah, just dumping the clunky as gently caress Storyteller baggage would do WONDERS for making Exalted less poo poo, system-wise. Exalted also really desperately needs to clear out its overload of "powers that add numbers" in favour of "powers that add new abilities." Because the vast majority of all the piles and piles of Charms are literally some variant of "Have a +X to do Y" not "you can now do this thing which you otherwise could not do, giving you new and exciting options."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Night10194 posted:

I'm always kinda sad I basically missed 4e due to doing pretty much all my RPG playing on IRC or with people who were diehard 3.5 champions back during its heyday. I should give it a try some day.

I only played a little bit of 4e when it came out. My character was a Rogue, and it was pretty fun, especially coming from 3.5! But then the game died out and the group I was in got busy with real life stuff so I never really got to try out the system much.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, just dumping the clunky as gently caress Storyteller baggage would do WONDERS for making Exalted less poo poo, system-wise. Exalted also really desperately needs to clear out its overload of "powers that add numbers" in favour of "powers that add new abilities." Because the vast majority of all the piles and piles of Charms are literally some variant of "Have a +X to do Y" not "you can now do this thing which you otherwise could not do, giving you new and exciting options."

It also needs to clear out the "this power is so narrowly useful it might as well not be here because it's never realistically going to come up" charms too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I need to get in on a 4e game but I keep not having time to apply for the games here.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

After picking up Star Realms and the Ascension "Apprentice" pack, I've discovered that I apparently like deckbuilding games like these.

What else is out there that's a) fun, b) inexpensive, and preferable has c) solo play options?

For solo deckbuilding, find Friday.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Part of me wonders if I'd have liked 4e more as a DM so that I'd actually be interacting with the game at all times. Hm. That's kind of a weird thought, I usually prefer being a player by far.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dammit Who? posted:

quote:

The people of Volivat are called the Yennin, which means “Children of Ten Fathers” in their
language. The secrets their ancestors found in the city’s central citadel included a formula for
creating offspring with up to ten fathers, each contributing to the birth of a single child. They
create supermen in this fashion, with only the strongest, wisest, and most gifted men contributing
their seed to the next generation. The resulting cat’s-cradle of clan bonds is largely
incomprehensible to outsiders. Enhanced by the combined strength, wit, and Essence of eleven
parents, the greatest Yennin champions are a match for the sorcerer-princes of Ysyr and the
Dragon-Blooded warriors of Prasad.
Volivat’s thaumaturges have labored to increase the number of fathers participating in
conception, but the progeny have proven abnormal and unstable. Their most ambitious effort, the
so-called Hundred Fathers, were born as abominations and banished to subterranean dwellings.
There they breed in darkness, occasionally emerging to feed on human flesh and wreak wanton
violence against their jailers.
The original draft of Twins.

Like you wouldn't watch CHUD Danny DeVito.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sentrygun posted:

Part of me wonders if I'd have liked 4e more as a DM so that I'd actually be interacting with the game at all times. Hm. That's kind of a weird thought, I usually prefer being a player by far.
The A best thing about 4E is how much of a breeze it is to GM. And (if you want to) you can go full Adversarial DM mode in combat without feeling like a prick.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Splicer posted:

The A best thing about 4E is how much of a breeze it is to GM. And (if you want to) you can go full Adversarial DM mode in combat without feeling like a prick.

Being able to fight the players on fair terms really makes the DM role exciting for me in 4e in a way that not even some goon darlings like Apocalypse World muster. You are always mediating a shared story in apocalypse world, but in 4e you get breaks where it truly becomes a knock-down drag-out 1v4 fight.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Splicer posted:

Like you wouldn't watch CHUD Danny DeVito.

It's Always Sunny in Volivat!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Are there any RPGs where people legitimately enjoy the combat mechanics as mechanics? Like, beyond the narrative it creates, actually have fun fighting because of the mechanics?

D&D4e
Wushu
Mythender
Dogs in the Vineyard

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://www.twitch.tv/diesofmarch I probably should've posted this two hours ago but the Dies of March charity stream is going on right now. Quote of the night: "And that was when I discovered the true nature of a toaster is not to create toast, but to DESTROY BREAD."

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
New quote of the night: "No one man should have all that flour."

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Night10194 posted:

Are there any RPGs where people legitimately enjoy the combat mechanics as mechanics? Like, beyond the narrative it creates, actually have fun fighting because of the mechanics?

D&D 4e (as has already been noted, it's got fun fighting)
Burning Wheel Gold (the positioning system in Gold edition is so much nicer than the old one, and scripted combat is exciting!)
Burning Empires (but oh man, it's a pretty rough learning curve. And Burning Wheel Gold is better.)
Strike! (I mean, of course I enjoy my own game. Wouldn't make much sense if I didn't.)

I thought of other games I love, and they don't really meet the criteria. Mouse Guard/Torchbearer nope. Dungeon World nope. Apocalypse World... yeah, but they're not just for combat, so I dunno if it counts exactly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Where can I find Legend of Wulin/Weapons of the Gods? It sounds like something I'd enjoy. Is it on Drivethru?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Night10194 posted:

Where can I find Legend of Wulin/Weapons of the Gods? It sounds like something I'd enjoy. Is it on Drivethru?

I think the "prerelease" of Wulin is still on DTRPG, but it's pretty much the final book. I heard the physical books finally emerged from shipping hell, but I'm not sure. If you are curious, Wulin is definitely a clear improvement mechanics-wise (still a few problems, as always), and while I like WotG's setting I wouldn't play it straight anyway, and Wulin's setting is not actually bad or anything.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Plague of Hats posted:

I think the "prerelease" of Wulin is still on DTRPG, but it's pretty much the final book. I heard the physical books finally emerged from shipping hell, but I'm not sure. If you are curious, Wulin is definitely a clear improvement mechanics-wise (still a few problems, as always), and while I like WotG's setting I wouldn't play it straight anyway, and Wulin's setting is not actually bad or anything.

Yeah, they did. Book's gorgeous. I posted pictures when I got mine, because I didn't believe it was an actual, physical, thing, either.

And yeah, the "pre-sale" version is the final, as far as I know. That's the version I have on my account.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
WotG's setting was partially based on the Hong Kong comic of the same name, and most of the art in the book is from the comic, but the majority of the setting information and mechanics were made up without taking the comic into consideration. I got to talk to Brad Elliott about it a few years ago and he said the comic license was more or less to attach a name to their game, but the idea of a wuxia game started before they thought to contact Tony Wong. Also, the first draft of the rules was by Greg Stolze!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think there is some fundamental joy created by having a reason to roll enormous numbers of dice. So I cannot help but think that Champions might have occasionally had fun combat for its own sake. But of course the moment you think about combat in the context of the rest of the game and the level of complexity that went into creating a character...yeah I am not sure if you can separate "I love having a 30d6 energy blast" from "oh god do you stack 'independent' and 'no conscious control' when calculating the point discount for elemental control, or are they mutually exclusive?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lynx Winters posted:

WotG's setting was partially based on the Hong Kong comic of the same name, and most of the art in the book is from the comic, but the majority of the setting information and mechanics were made up without taking the comic into consideration. I got to talk to Brad Elliott about it a few years ago and he said the comic license was more or less to attach a name to their game, but the idea of a wuxia game started before they thought to contact Tony Wong. Also, the first draft of the rules was by Greg Stolze!

To attach a license and to get a bunch of Tony Wong art.

I'm biased in favor of WotG, since it's packed to the gill's with Jenna's awesome setting writing, but LotW is more or less a mechanical improvement across the board.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm biased in favor of WotG, since it's packed to the gill's with Jenna's awesome setting writing, but LotW is more or less a mechanical improvement across the board.

-a correct person

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Lynx Winters posted:

Also, the first draft of the rules was by Greg Stolze!

This was the game that had dice system that was somewhat similar to the One-Roll Engine, right? Matching sets of d10s?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tulpa posted:

This was the game that had dice system that was somewhat similar to the One-Roll Engine, right? Matching sets of d10s?

Yeah. It doesn't take advantage of it very much, though.

Edit: Like seriously, "how many dice in a set" and "nudge a die's face to change your sets" are a couple natural mechanical widgets to come out of such a system, but I think Wuxia (the system's name) never does anything but use the dice to create regular sums.

Still a fine game(s) though.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 14, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think it's mostly that it already has the river for manipulating #s of successes by letting you save sets from one roll and add them to a later roll, so adding extra gimmicks might have led to a lot of hemming over how to manipulate the result best, when there's a lot of that already once you start playing with waves and marvels and what have you.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 14, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tollymain posted:

sword-chucks would probably fit into exalted perfectly though
Say what you like about 8-bit theatre, but at one point fighter saves the party from dying in a fall by using his block everything power to block the ground. That's pure distilled dungeon world/danger patrol/epic tier 4E right there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i imagine the abyssals or infernals or whatever they're called have a charmspell thing that is powered by love (and actively, permanently drains it from the world when used) as well

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

Say what you like about 8-bit theatre, but at one point fighter saves the party from dying in a fall by using his block everything power to block the ground. That's pure distilled dungeon world/danger patrol/epic tier 4E right there.
I remember that being an argument about whether that worked or not for the power which does exactly that in Exalted since the release of 1e.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Exalted and D&D 3.5 were the two hotly debated RPG systems of choice on the 8-Bit Theater forums as I recall (faintly and with shame).

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Sounds like I should loving play Legends of the Wulin. I love wuxia. Also shout out to The Great Game from that one WotG supplement for being the best 'resolve your downtime actions mechanically' subsystem ever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zereth posted:

I remember that being an argument about whether that worked or not for the power which does exactly that in Exalted since the release of 1e.

Ah yes the infamous 'can I parry gravity/the ground' debates.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Ah yes the infamous 'can I parry gravity/the ground' debates.

Those who argue no are playing the game wrong.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So this sure is a petition.

quote:

We, the undersigned, DEMAND immediate removal of "Thunder Plains" and all related content from all Monte Cook Games publications current and future, and request an immediate public apology for harm done, regardless of supposed intent from the creators.

The Strange RPG is a game about world-hopping into alternate realities called "recursions" that are based on amassed collective imagination. For example, there may be a "recursion" all about children's games, or one that specifically features a "cops & robbers" theme since it is a game played around the world by children of all ages.

There may be another "recursion" about Wonderland, since it is a well-known book/story throughout the world.

There may be some not based in any realities of our own world, but from collective imaginations based in other alien worlds.

However, Bruce R. Cordell and Monte J. Cook thought it appropriate to appropriate Native culture and create this mass amalgamation pan-Indian world as one of their main 5 listed in their core guide named "Thunder Plains". In it, they have turned "Thunderbird" into an antagonistic god-like creature, and have littered the 'recursion' with 'medicine men' wearing leather chaps and overly large headdresses with antlers, stating that Indians 'revere' the buffalo.

Where it gets interesting is when the M-crew decides to try the usual RPG arguments to defend it.

quote:

They have been made very clearly aware of how harmful this is, with numerous links to articles written by Dr. Adrienne Keene, and multiple studies proving, with numbers, how harmful this is.

Their initial response was simple and completely missed the point.

They stated, from their official accounts at @MonteCookGames and @TheStrangeRPG (quickly followed by mouthpiece @ShannaGermain) that their "intent" was to show that this is from collective imagination and that collective imagination and stereotypes are wrong. This is never stated in their book (that this is stereotypically racist and incorrect) and presented solely by itself.

Oh and then Shanna Germain started mocking natives on twitter and Cordell accused people of just wanting to be outraged. :v:

quote:

When confronted with these issues, there have been offers for inclusion on review boards, but no acknowledgement of mistakes or harm, no apologies, and plenty of jibes and rude comments (especially from Shanna Germain). The official twitter of the individuals, game company, and game itself have repeatedly blocked anyone speaking against it, and thereafter began mocking the real harm done and real discussion being had as "outragism" and a non-issue (see attached image from Bruce Cordell twitter).

The image isn't actually in the petition, but is presumably on the site this originated. http://lastrealindians.com/cultural-and-intellectual-property-its-not-a-game-by-danielle-miller/

March has been a hella interesting month.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That link has an ad for "INDIAN HEADDRESSES AND WAR TOTEMS"

Talk about appropriation

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Someone saying that people "just want to be outraged" is one of those handy phrases that let you know that you can safely ignore anything that person has to say about anything, ever.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
gently caress Monte Cook and gently caress that game.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't like every game that tries to include real world cultures engage in the sweeping stereotypes and generalizations? Is there any way to use the real word as a game setting that isn't going to piss off someone?

Also, when the hell did kobolds become related to dragons?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

bunnielab posted:

Doesn't like every game that tries to include real world cultures engage in the sweeping stereotypes and generalizations? Is there any way to use the real word as a game setting that isn't going to piss off someone?

I guess if you really did your research, you might be able to, but for the most part this is probably why people stick to dead cultures and religions like the Greek-Roman or Norse pantheons because there is no one to complain if your players are able to barge into Mt. Olympus, slay Zeus with their +6 Vorpal Sword, and take all the Ambrosia they could want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Have there been situations where this hobby has interacted with the real world outside it's bubble and didn't come off as a poor joke?

bunnielab posted:

I think it largely depends on how respectful it is and how far you go to actually try to engage. The link mentions Assassin's Creed as a positive example; Ubisoft actually hired people on to help them regarding their depictions of Mohawk culture and approached it from the sense of "ok we don't actually know much about this, help us not be blithering assholes," and the end result worked out really well (shame about the actual game though...:smug:). In this case Monte Cook Games just went full Peter Pan. It's one step away from transcribing "What Made the Red Man Red?"

quote:

Also, when the hell did kobolds become related to dragons?

D&D 3e.

• Locked thread