Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Three Olives posted:

My guess would be volume, Apple intends on selling a shitload of Apple Watch Sports and the marginal cost of throwing in two cheap bands is easier than managing more SKUs. The Steel will get more personalized attention to help you select the proper band.

For instance, If you plan on purchasing the 42mm SS Link watch and the Sport Band you will end up with 3 bands for $1050. If I purchase the 42mm SS sport band watch with the link bracelet separately It would only have 2 bands for the same price. Doesn't make sense to me.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

gohmak posted:

Has anyone figured out why the Apple Watch Sport comes with two bands, as does buying the Sport Band separately but the other watches and bands only come with one?

Two different sizes.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

RVProfootballer posted:

People will keep buying Macbooks Air actually, until the 2nd or 3rd generation of Macbook "Just Macbook" Edition gets battery life, speed, and keyboard quality back up to Air levels (e: I realize I don't actually know how speed compares, I just vaguely remember people being disappointed in the new Intel M chips, right?)

If those are the cons that are going to hold back sales, then I really have to disagree. No one cares about speed anymore. It's been "good enough" for Gmail and Facebook and Office spreadsheets for years. The keyboard is what it is. The Macbook will never get thicker than it is now. If Sir Jony Ive could have designed a better keyboard, they would have shipped that one instead. Battery life is probabbbbbly good enough, but there's room to debate that one. On the other hand, you have that gorgeous Retina display, ridiculous size and weight, and color options. Put an Air and a new Macbook in front of a normal prospective buyer and I'd wager the Air doesn't stand a chance.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
One day the form factor of the Macbook will have MBP-level performance and it will loving own

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

illcendiary posted:

One day the form factor of the Macbook will have MBP-level performance and it will loving own

And Microsoft Office will still be laggy on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kobayashi posted:

Put an Air and a new Macbook in front of a normal prospective buyer and I'd wager the Air doesn't stand a chance.

100% truth. The benefits far outweigh the cons for the average user.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Speaking of high-priced, premium phones, I got to play with a Porsche Blackberry at an old job of mine. Thing retails for almost 2 grand and there's nothing that nice about it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

bobfather posted:

The difference is that when I drive my McLaren P1 that has an engine hand-built by a craftsman, I'm pretty certain that I'm paying extra for the car because it produces in excess of 900 horsepower and can out-accelerate just about anything else on the road.

The best-made mechanical watch movements crafted by the finest Swiss watchmakers don't tell time better than the cheapest quartz-powered Casio. They just look better.

I don't know where the unrelated car analogy is coming from, but if you think that the purpose of a watch is to tell time, you are wrong. It's jewelry. If you want something to strap to your wrist to tell time, then yes, the casio is for you. No one pays >10k on a watch to tell the time, just like no one buys a McLaren to get to work.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Speaking of high-priced, premium phones, I got to play with a Porsche Blackberry at an old job of mine. Thing retails for almost 2 grand and there's nothing that nice about it.

That is one ugly Blackberry and Blackberries were already pretty ugly phones.

Unrelated, I've never heard of Vertu before. Consider my mind blown. :psyduck:

Getting a fair amount off topic, are those even good Android phones (I don't really know Android) or is it all about that creepy whatever-you-want-if-money-is-no-option concierge service? I never knew this insane luxury market existed, and I find it fascinating in a morbid way.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 13, 2015

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't know where the unrelated car analogy is coming from, but if you think that the purpose of a watch is to tell time, you are wrong. It's jewelry. If you want something to strap to your wrist to tell time, then yes, the casio is for you. No one pays >10k on a watch to tell the time, just like no one buys a McLaren to get to work.

Yep, Apple Watch -- confused as I may be as to the reason for its existence -- is an indication that Apple is outgrowing the technology sector. Apple Watch Edition is about the only aspect of Apple Watch that I understand. It is a luxury play. I like the car analogies because they're on a similar collision course with technology. Luxury and performance automobiles are amazing spectacles of design, but they are increasingly and almost universally ruined by in-vehicle digital experiences that loving suck. It's been said that software is eating the world. It would be foolish to assume that the luxury market is immune to this. Watches and cars are but two examples of technology's outward expansion. There's going to be a whole lot more of where Apple Watch Edition came from in the future...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They really are going to build a car, aren't they. Strong glass, metal case, batteries, speakers, color choice and software is 70% of what a car of 20 years from now will be. They just added a leather contracting competency for the watch and I'd not be surprised if the two companies they signed are unknowingly inside of an audition process for their upholstery ambitions.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Lol if you really think we're going to have cars 20 years from now.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Snuffman posted:

That is one ugly Blackberry and Blackberries were already pretty ugly phones.

With the price they want for any of their phones, I'd want all those visible screwheads lined up the same way.

quote:

Announce your individuality with exclusive ring and alert tones, all created for Vertu by renowned composers and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.
Haha, really?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

rear end Catchcum posted:

Lol if you really think we're going to have cars 20 years from now.

Urbanization will be a continuing trend but dude, we are going to have cars 20 years from now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

Two different sizes.

Yep. Look at the bottom of the sizing PDF:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/pdf/static/pdf/content/Watch_Sizing_Guide.pdf

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

spookygonk posted:

With the price they want for any of their phones, I'd want all those visible screwheads lined up the same way.

Haha, really?

The whole site reads like a parody from a GTA game ("LET PEOPLE KNOW YOU'RE A STAR WITH YOUR OWN $500 VIP RING TONE!") but its REAL.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Snuffman posted:

Getting a fair amount off topic, are those even good Android phones (I don't really know Android) or is it all about that creepy whatever-you-want-if-money-is-no-option concierge service? I never knew this insane luxury market existed, and I find it fascinating in a morbid way.

Android phones, at some point, are basically commodity level hardware; look at all the Android phones you can buy on Alibaba for $250-$300 each and get a 40' container worth of them if you want. So Vertu can get a cheap blank canvas to start with.

Take this $17,100 Vertu for Bentley phone. They mention Bang & Olufsen sound and Hasselblad camera, sounds prestigious right? But read closer, the sound was tested by Bang & Olufsen, and the camera was certified by Hasselblad. Of course, the "testing" and "certification" process was most likely simply testing and certifying that Vertu's checks made out to B&O and Hasselblad cleared the bank.

From the specs this thing looks like it would be about on par as a smartphone with a Galaxy S5 or any of its contemporaries, certainly no better, in every respect. But you get that concierge app. Also you get to carry this phone and see it match your Bentley. And when you're taking shots of your child at riding lessons or maybe Instagraming your dinner at the club even though the club frowns upon that poo poo, everyone will cast you a knowing nod when you mention the "Hasselblad" camera because they know Hasselblad things cost a lot of money and so you must have a lot of money too.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 13, 2015

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Yep, Apple Watch -- confused as I may be as to the reason for its existence -- is an indication that Apple is outgrowing the technology sector. Apple Watch Edition is about the only aspect of Apple Watch that I understand. It is a luxury play. I like the car analogies because they're on a similar collision course with technology. Luxury and performance automobiles are amazing spectacles of design, but they are increasingly and almost universally ruined by in-vehicle digital experiences that loving suck. It's been said that software is eating the world. It would be foolish to assume that the luxury market is immune to this. Watches and cars are but two examples of technology's outward expansion. There's going to be a whole lot more of where Apple Watch Edition came from in the future...

I completely agree with you, and I by no means thing that the apple watch isn't a threat to the watch industry in general. I think that their are two types of people who drop that kind of cash on a watch: someone who wants to make an obscene display of wealth, and someone who enjoys a fine piece of jewelry (not implying that there isn't any crossover). I don't think that the apple watch applies to the latter. I think that the apple watch edition is going to do very well, but let's not make it into something it isn't.

If you want to see some beautiful pieces that integrate technology in a tasteful and artful way, I'm a fan of Richard Hoptroff.

Fwiw I agree that in vehicle computers are terrible and need to be fixed, but I still don't think car analogies apply to watches. A computer and interface is only part of a car. CarPlay will work with existing automobiles, and may see some deeper integration with future ones, but ultimately the automobile experience is in the chassis and drivetrain. With a watch, the computer is the entire experience.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

Fwiw I agree that in vehicle computers are terrible and need to be fixed, but I still don't think car analogies apply to watches. A computer and interface is only part of a car. CarPlay will work with existing automobiles, and may see some deeper integration with future ones, but ultimately the automobile experience is in the chassis and drivetrain. With a watch, the computer is the entire experience.

I can't wait to see the first Apple Store with an attached garage where a minimum wage teenaged kid rips out your old head unit and replaces it with a shiny new CarPlay. It'll be the mid-nineties Best Buy experience all over again.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Considering the only Vertu phone I've ever seen was in that "Pics from a Chinese gangster's phone" gallery that was going around,

http://www.vice.com/read/triad-or-try-hard-chinese-gangster-phone-photos-authentic-reddit

While I think they sell the air of riding lessons and member's clubs, I don't think you'd find much legitimate money in their customer base. Its a great phone for "I'm sitting on a million dollars of unbreakable drug cash and am likely to be executed by the state, my enemies, my friends within the next 18 months, which is the right phone for my lifestyle?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For those interested in how Vertu works, The Verge paid them a visit at the end of 2013:

Article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/3/5167460/inside-vertu
Podcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9XDmnRUEg#t=8m13s

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird there are two Apple watch sizes? I feel like the difference would be negligible, it's kinda bulky as is...

If I buy one I'm probably picking up the 38mm

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Not having two sizes meant that its was going to be viewed as a geek beacon and feel "too large" for half the population no matter what size it actually was. I don't think they'll ever escape from large/small or mens/ladies sizing with any of their future personal tech efforts. I think split size iphone models are here to stay. Not sure about the ipad since you aren't supposed to keep it on your person, but people do.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird there are two Apple watch sizes? I feel like the difference would be negligible, it's kinda bulky as is...

If I buy one I'm probably picking up the 38mm

It's very traditional for watches to come in men's and women's sizes. Beyond just wrist size, women have historically worn smaller watches relative to wrist size.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

You can find actual size images of the two watch faces in the Apple Store app.

has that been mentioned already in this thread? Idk

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I didn't find it too useful though. It doesn't give any sense of how it feels on your wrist. I certainly wouldn't preorder one blindly.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is it just me or does the Watch app they put on everyone's phones seem really hastily thrown together? The main screen looks like a "Hello World!" app or some students first build....

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

ZShakespeare posted:

If you want to see some beautiful pieces that integrate technology in a tasteful and artful way, I'm a fan of Richard Hoptroff.

These are really cool. Do you have one of these? Any idea where to get them in the US?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Even the large size is significantly smaller than the LG G watch and as a man with relatively small wrists I can comfortably wear the G Watch without it looking particularly large on me so I think everyone should be fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I would definitely first compare it to the current stable of Android Wear devices before you call it "bulky."

The Moto 360 is probably the one that looks the least bulky of the AW devices, and even then the 38mm knocks it out of the park.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know round faces look better, but it seems like so much less of an efficient use of space. Plus the Moto one have letterboxing or some poo poo, so you get even less space than it would first appear.

edit: wow that zenwatch is ugly. And huge.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone figured out how the Apple Watch pairing works? If you try to start pairing in the app, it asks you to hold it up to the viewfinder... I wonder if that is just a trick to get you to hold it a certain position?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

Has anyone figured out how the Apple Watch pairing works? If you try to start pairing in the app, it asks you to hold it up to the viewfinder... I wonder if that is just a trick to get you to hold it a certain position?

I imagine that on first boot, the watch shows a barcode (or some other encoded image) that allows the app to identify the watch and stand up a Bluetooth connection without you having to manually look for it in the settings and pair it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

These are really cool. Do you have one of these? Any idea where to get them in the US?

Unfortunately I don't, but I was struck by them when I first saw one. I'm not in the US, and I don't know of any importers.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

ZShakespeare posted:

Unfortunately I don't, but I was struck by them when I first saw one. I'm not in the US, and I don't know of any importers.

I was really excited about it at first, but I downloaded the app and the sports scores functionality is limited to football (not the hand-egg kind). Oh well, I was hoping for baseball scores.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone bored and likes to read about manufacturing processes:
http://atomicdelights.com/blog/a-glimpse-at-how-the-apple-watch-is-made

And if anyone remembers the whole gold patent hullabaloo, they don't appear to be using that process.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

japtor posted:

For anyone bored and likes to read about manufacturing processes:
http://atomicdelights.com/blog/a-glimpse-at-how-the-apple-watch-is-made

And if anyone remembers the whole gold patent hullabaloo, they don't appear to be using that process.

Well, there it is:

quote:

This level of inspection is, to put it mildly, fastidious beyond where most other companies would go (save Rolex). Immersion ultrasonic inspection is typically reserved for highly stressed medical implants and rotating components inside of aircraft engines; not only does this step take time, it also is typically performed by custom built machines of tremendous expense.

The new paradigm is not how mechanically complex the watch on your wrist is now, but how invasivly machined it was back in Guangdong Province. The 'complication' that used to be tallied as moments sitting on your arm has moved back a step to counting needless processes in the assembly line.

"But Pierre, your watch, was it anodized with a Hullman-Boyer brand redip catalyst? No? *scoff*. Pleb."

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That's not a new paradigm.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

quote:

This level of inspection is, to put it mildly, fastidious beyond where most other companies would go (save Rolex). Immersion ultrasonic inspection is typically reserved for highly stressed medical implants and rotating components inside of aircraft engines; not only does this step take time, it also is typically performed by custom built machines of tremendous expense.

haha then we slap this plastic piece of poo poo onto it for you to really complete the package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Plastics are cool, actually.

• Locked thread