Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, so here's a good idea of how to order stuff you'd like from me to ensure you get the right stuff(some of these are hard to tell apart) based on a Cool Dude who ordered a bunch of stuff(and all the translucent purple tentacles I had...I ain't judgin') :

quote:

1) 4 each (8 total) of the purple translucent tentacles sets (these are priced as a set of two, rather than individually) (Exp. #2: 92849, 92850)
2) 1 each (3 total) of the barrow wardens (Exp. #1: 92825, 92826, 92827)
3) 2 each (10 total) of the zombies (Exp. #1: 92815, 92816, 92817, 92818, 92819)
4) 1 each (1 total) of the ice troll (Exp. #1: 92821)
5) 1 each (1 total) of the stone giant (Exp. #1: 92808)

Using that one spreadsheet with all the prices from earlier in the thread, that'd be:

1) 92849, 92850: $5.79 per set of 2
2) 92825, 92826, 92827: $2.79 per
3) 92815, 92816, 92817, 92818, 92819: $6.49 per set of 5
4) 92821: $4.29 per
5) 92808: $4.99 per

Using the google doc for pricing and this handy guide for picking out specific figures from expansions and such you want. Just knock 20% off the total of everything you'd like and we'll go from there.

Almost done with the post/edit for my SA-Mart thread stuff for it all.

edit: and the post is up! :haw:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Haha, and here I just thought I was being a spaz with how specific I was being. You're welcome, and thank you for completing my "Space Marines: A Grand Tentacle Rape Adventure" set.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They way you did it allowed me to pinpoint each exact figure in less than five minutes total, which considering they come in a big jumbled bag inside the boxes, is a godsend. :v:

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Bad Munki posted:

Sure thing. It's really not a very good job, though: it's super rough and chunky, I painted it like three times before I found a method I liked, and didn't care to clean it off between because gently caress it, it's like 30 cents worth of plastic and isn't anything special. Also, it's not done: the body still needs a boatload of work and the legs and face and base haven't been attended to yet. But I do more or less like the carapace. I think this one is "Prairie Tick Queen" from the Savage Worlds portion of Bones II.

Still hella cool job. Ta for the close up!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Got a message from Parcelforce - UK customs is holding my stuff until I pay nearly £100 in duty and other charges :(

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Reaper's bases are now up in the Preview Gallery. They have several new versions.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 5, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, Invictus. Something that might prove useful to you. They're not selling the Expansions at normal retail. They ended up with too few to make it practical. They're currently trying to decide whether to sell them on the online shop or just bring them on the convention circuit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As in, the boxed sets of the expansions themselves? I've already busted open the majority of mine, so I can't sell'em complete anymore anyways. Thanks for the heads up, though! :)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

As in, the boxed sets of the expansions themselves? I've already busted open the majority of mine, so I can't sell'em complete anymore anyways. Thanks for the heads up, though! :)

Yeah, the boxed sets. Bryan said they have less than a thousand of each, so there just aren't enough for retailers.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

With my weekly RPG rapidly approaching the end of the campaign, I figured I better start getting the big big bads ready for painting, which means trying my hand at pathcing gaps with the green stuff...

I got kind of excited with the great old one and enhanced the tendons around the mandibles...

And then the old one's base was too floppy to hold its weight so I reinforced it with a layer of apoxysculpt sandwiched between the base and a bit of plastic I rescued from the recycle bin...

They seem like suitable end-game antagonists.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Those are some great tendons.

Germ
May 7, 2013

I actually painted a Bones mini! This is the Mashaaf model that I'll be using as a Chimera in my Nurgle-themed Warhammer Fantasy army. I didn't use the base it came on; rather, I modeled up a set of maggot bases and cast them up in resin. the Mashaaf model is incredible; really huge and full of character.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Germ posted:

I actually painted a Bones mini! This is the Mashaaf model that I'll be using as a Chimera in my Nurgle-themed Warhammer Fantasy army. I didn't use the base it came on; rather, I modeled up a set of maggot bases and cast them up in resin. the Mashaaf model is incredible; really huge and full of character.

I've been tempted to grab one, and I really should have during the KS, but due to sudden fund allocations I couldn't really indulge in minis at the time.

Your painting style really captures it, and it looks fantastic. Could it be possible to put a regular infantry-sized guy next to it for scale?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

I've been tempted to grab one, and I really should have during the KS, but due to sudden fund allocations I couldn't really indulge in minis at the time.

Your painting style really captures it, and it looks fantastic. Could it be possible to put a regular infantry-sized guy next to it for scale?

Ack! Packed up the camera and lightbox, so :effort:

How about a Putrid Blightking? That, I have a shot of. Blightkings are on 40mm bases and a bit smaller than GW Ogres and a bit larger than regular infantry:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Germ posted:

Ack! Packed up the camera and lightbox, so :effort:

How about a Putrid Blightking? That, I have a shot of. Blightkings are on 40mm bases and a bit smaller than GW Ogres and a bit larger than regular infantry:

That's perfect. I think I might show this to my Nurgle CSM friend as an idea for Maulerfiends.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

That's perfect. I think I might show this to my Nurgle CSM friend as an idea for Maulerfiends.

Cool. In that case, think of the Blightking as being terminator-sized. Mashaaf is a seriously great model. I feel like Reaper really knocked it out of the park on her.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

My one regret is... that I have... boneitis.
So I just got my portion of a split Bones II order. I was putting together some of the figures last night, using some Locktite Gel (in the Control bottle), which is CA glue, at the suggestion of a friend. For the most part I liked it, but in a few places it seemed to be taking an extremely long time to harden. For example the "mouth flaps" on Mashaaf were still kind of loose (the glue had become tacky but not hard) even after 10 or so minutes of sitting there (after being held in place for a minute). I didn't get a chance to check this morning before heading out to work to be sure it had hardened (I certainly hope it has, but I guess I'll see when I get home from work tonight). Those flaps are also the parts I was gluing on that had the most tenuous connections. Most of the other things I was putting together had much deeper grooves that the parts were being pressed into, so that may have been a factor too (ie if some of the others weren't quite totally dry yet I might not have noticed it as much).

Anyway I wanted to check in and see what others experiences had been, and if maybe I did something wrong (or if there might be a better option going forward). In my last Bones order I didn't end up with any minis that needed assembling so this is new territory for me.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

DrOct posted:

So I just got my portion of a split Bones II order. I was putting together some of the figures last night, using some Locktite Gel (in the Control bottle), which is CA glue, at the suggestion of a friend. For the most part I liked it, but in a few places it seemed to be taking an extremely long time to harden. For example the "mouth flaps" on Mashaaf were still kind of loose (the glue had become tacky but not hard) even after 10 or so minutes of sitting there (after being held in place for a minute). I didn't get a chance to check this morning before heading out to work to be sure it had hardened (I certainly hope it has, but I guess I'll see when I get home from work tonight). Those flaps are also the parts I was gluing on that had the most tenuous connections. Most of the other things I was putting together had much deeper grooves that the parts were being pressed into, so that may have been a factor too (ie if some of the others weren't quite totally dry yet I might not have noticed it as much).

Anyway I wanted to check in and see what others experiences had been, and if maybe I did something wrong (or if there might be a better option going forward). In my last Bones order I didn't end up with any minis that needed assembling so this is new territory for me.

After cleaning, I fluid-CA'ed those same flaps onto Mashaaf with no problems.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

Paolomania posted:

After cleaning, I fluid-CA'ed those same flaps onto Mashaaf with no problems.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did clean (and dry) everything before starting. I guess if I find going forward it's not working for whatever reason I'll pick up some liquid CA Glue and see if that works better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's possible you just got a duff pack of glue, I've had that happen. Does the glue work on other stuff?

Alternatively, did you clean the parts? I don't think CA would hold well on mould release agent.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I did clean everything before getting started. I'll have to check on some of the other parts a bit more closely, I suppose it is possible I just got a bad batch. I hadn't even thought of that!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

For what its' worth, I have never had superglue need time to 'work'. Either you hold it in place for a minute and it's good, or it's never going to hold properly at all. It's not like some glues that might have like a particular set time before you handle it. If I couldn't get a hold on something in ten minutes I would clean it up and assume that something was wrong, either with the glue or the surface prep.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

Ashcans posted:

For what its' worth, I have never had superglue need time to 'work'. Either you hold it in place for a minute and it's good, or it's never going to hold properly at all. It's not like some glues that might have like a particular set time before you handle it. If I couldn't get a hold on something in ten minutes I would clean it up and assume that something was wrong, either with the glue or the surface prep.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check up on everything tonight but it might be time to look into a new bottle.

DrOct fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 16, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've had A LOT of bad bottles of Loctite Gel Control. I really like it when it's good, but maybe 1 out 3 bottles are crap. It was enough of a problem that I stopped buying it altogether.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've had bad luck with superglue in a high humidity environment. I realize that chemically CA glue SHOULD work better, but mine just didn't.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I've had A LOT of bad bottles of Loctite Gel Control. I really like it when it's good, but maybe 1 out 3 bottles are crap. It was enough of a problem that I stopped buying it altogether.

Oh wow! Well now I'm kind of thinking maybe I really did just get a bad bottle. Any better luck with the liquid? I did almost get a Control bottle of that. I really liked that the gel didn't run really which made it easy to use, but that kind of ratio of good to bad batches is pretty damning.

DrOct fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 16, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I mostly use the loctite professional now. It's a pain 'cause it's super thin, but I've gotten stronger bonds with it than anything outside the actual professional/ industrial CA.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Derrrrp. Double post.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've occasionally had annoyingly long drying times with Zap-a-gap, but it typically happens when I use too much.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

Just as an update, when I got home last night I did check and everything did seem to have dried and to be pretty solidly connected. I pulled somewhat hard on the parts and didn't really feel any give. I do wonder if it's possible I just used too much? I didnt' think I was using an excessive amount but I did probably put more than was strictly necessary.

Anyway, I might try picking up another bottle and seeing if it works better/faster, but for now things seem ok, at least with the stuff I glued the other night.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DrOct posted:

I didnt' think I was using an excessive amount but I did probably put more than was strictly necessary.

The gel is liable to make that a likely case. That's actually one of the advantages of thinner stuff: you use a teeny tiny amount, but it flows and coats in a nicely thin layer. Remember, CA glue is NOT a filler, and using it like one (intentionally or otherwise) will lead to headaches.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I hosted a bones painting party this weekend where I learned two things: a) ALL my friends are absolutely terrible at painting (but they had fun and that's what matters) and b) I wanna get me some bones next time there's a kickstarter.

The models belonged to one of the attendees, and knowing how cheap they were sorta took the pressure off compared to warhams, and their generic nature means they might actually get some use in games if I end up getting some for myself. Coloured basecoat, wash dump, blocking then 2-3 levels of highlighting and some detail pickout seemed like a good compromise, I did a gnoll, a wolverine animal companion, a turtle man, an ape demon and a mouseling over a couple days and got the first few levels done on another gnoll, a bugbear and a minotaur

so is there any news/buzz/guesses as to when the next KS is likely to be, and are any of the current models likely to be offered again at KS prices? I REALLY want the dragon-turtle and the mushroom men to make a bowser based encounter but only if I can pay KS prices for them, retail or close to it is a bit much for a whim.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Captain Invictus may be your best bet for that.

DrOct
May 6, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

The gel is liable to make that a likely case. That's actually one of the advantages of thinner stuff: you use a teeny tiny amount, but it flows and coats in a nicely thin layer. Remember, CA glue is NOT a filler, and using it like one (intentionally or otherwise) will lead to headaches.

I'll keep that in mind going forward. I also realized something else while I was at a store today on my lunch break picking up some new bottles. I was not using the "regular" Locktinte CA Gel, I was using the "Ultragel" which was the only gel I saw for sale at Lowes the first time, so I didn't realized it was different from the "regular" gel. The copy on the "Ultragel" packaging does actually mention a slower setting time (as a feature, as in you have a bit more time to work with it, it also claims to have a somewhat more durable bond) so that might have been a factor. I still think it should have set more in the time I was holding it together (package still says 30-60 seconds and I did 60), but that slower setting time might have been a factor, along with possibly using somewhat too much.

Anyway I picked up a bottle of the liquid, and of the "regular "gel, so I'll be experimenting with all three going forward to figure out the differences and such, and what I like best/what is best to use in what situation.

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I'm still fairly new to miniature painting/assembly so it's great to have folks to ask questions of.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I look forward to hearing about news of Bones III in this thread from people who still havent painted a single Bones I (me)

I'm not one of those people that gets depressed at seeing a monster backlog.
Owning them does make me happier than painting them.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Germ posted:

That's awesome! Here's a crosspost of the same model I'm doing for iamthespaceinvader (very glossy because of the gloss varnish I'd just put on it):

And the kraken, which refuses to stand up properly no matter how I pose it

The kraken will have a starfield on its back, plus the teeth, eyes and a few other bits on both to do

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Looks gooey :barf:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

How tall is the Minotaur Lord, by the way? From the highest shoulder to foot, preferably, but how high the halberd would also be nice.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

djfooboo posted:

Looks gooey :barf:

That's the gloss varnish...or the ectoplasm of recent victims...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Slimnoid posted:

How tall is the Minotaur Lord, by the way? From the highest shoulder to foot, preferably, but how high the halberd would also be nice.

I don't know, but since you bring that model up, I just wanted to say that I was tempted to get it but in retrospect am glad I didn't. It's got a pretty severe case of tiny head syndrome that either wasn't on the preliminary picture or that I didn't realize at the time. I guess some people prefer that look (most obviously, the sculptor) but it's a big turnoff for me.

Maybe I can find something that'd make an appropriate headswap, if I ever find the time for such a project.

• Locked thread