Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Happy NCAA D1 Wrestling Bracket Release Day! At-Large bids will be announced starting at 1PM EDT, starting at 125 with a new weight starting every half hour. Then they'll do a bracket release livestream at 6PM EDT to reveal the seeds..

Get hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Roy Dean was a pretty decent competitor, is a skilled black belt and by all accounts is an excellent instructor. As Eddie Bravo has shown us, none of these things are mutually exclusive with being a huge dink.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Decades posted:

What's the goonsensus on Roy Dean? ...he seems ...really intelligent ...

Read this as Roy Nelson initially and was greatly confused. Gonna check him out though, just cancelled my bjjlibrary subscription so there's a whole in my bjj-video-watching life.

e: oh, maybe not, looks like his stuff is gi only :smith:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 12, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Holy poo poo the IBJJF NY Open registration fee for either gi or no gi is $110 and for both is $195. Is this price increase in registration universal or just for the NY Open?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yuns posted:

Holy poo poo the IBJJF NY Open registration fee for either gi or no gi is $110 and for both is $195. Is this price increase in registration universal or just for the NY Open?

Isn't all IBJJF stuff single elimination, too? $100 for maybe just one match seems like a terrible proposition.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yup traditionally its all single elimination. My favorite was when 2 of my teammates got accidentally paired in a first round match (Normally they should have been in opposite brackets) so that they paid $60+ to roll against their training partner.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I guess this is the best place for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLmeuf-Nn0

Edit: dat armdrag at 1:28

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Man, I had no idea sumo was so badass.

Naked men struggling to heave each other over rules. Does he have a background in any other grappling, or is that all sumo on display?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I guess this is the best place for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLmeuf-Nn0

Edit: dat armdrag at 1:28

Any place is the best place for this because it owns.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Size matters not (until you get promoted to makuuchi, then you will lose all your matches)

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Agreed posted:

Naked men struggling to heave each other over rules. Does he have a background in any other grappling, or is that all sumo on display?

I have no idea but he looks like he has a wrestling background

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Agreed posted:

Most of the foreigners in sumo did some other kind of grappling beforehand. Takanoyama was a judoka but got into sumo pretty young, when he was a teenager -- amateur sumo is pretty popular in a bunch of Eastern European countries, for some reason.

The sport is more notably dominated by Mongolians who grew up doing Mongolian folk wrestling.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 12, 2015

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I have very little exposure to grappling outside of Judo, BJJ, and wrestling (well, and MMA) - is there anything else as awesome as this around? Mongolian Folk Wrestling is something I'll be looking up now, thank you :)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Someone post the video of the kickboxer vs sumo thing ft. Peter Aerts

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Agreed posted:

I have very little exposure to grappling outside of Judo, BJJ, and wrestling (well, and MMA) - is there anything else as awesome as this around? Mongolian Folk Wrestling is something I'll be looking up now, thank you :)

I mean there's the entire sport of sumo if you want more sumo. There's a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461947&pagenumber=55#lastpost

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Size matters not (until you get promoted to makuuchi, then you will lose all your matches)

Please tell me what this means. After that video I'm curious.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Captain Log posted:

Please tell me what this means. After that video I'm curious.

It's the highest sumo division.

Tonight I was messing around with the "tornado guard" and farted in a buddies face while being in this position

It was the highlight of my day

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 14, 2015

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Takanoyama highlight video rules, but he's actually a pretty mediocre sumo because it turns out that being a giant fat guy who sort of effortlessly shoves people out of the ring is better than being good at throws.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The greatest thing about Takanoyama is that his diabetic stablemaster gave him his insulin to help him put on weight and then died. This is a real thing that happened.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The greatest thing about Takanoyama is that his diabetic stablemaster gave him his insulin to help him put on weight and then died. This is a real thing that happened.

:stare:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Sumo is the best, even its scandals.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
What the... Does that even work?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

General Emergency posted:

What the... Does that even work?

Well, Takanoyama did put on a decent amount of weight before the Sumo association gave him a warning and his stablemaster died.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, bodybuilders (and athletes, I guess, too, obviously) use it, and natural bodybuilders sometimes go to some effort to try to time their insulin sensitivity best for muscle growth as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Is it worth it to go watch Pan Ams for a couple hours tomorrow morning? I've got a flight out of SNA at 1 so if I head down to that area when matches start I could watch for 2-3 hours before having to head out. But if it just a mess that likely wont start on time I wont bother.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 13, 2015

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
One of my buddies from school trains BJJ with Chael here in Portland and he says that Chael's HUGE these days.

Should be interesting to see him in there with somebody less ridiculous than last time. Plus the two have a history or sorts, right/

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Just wanted to drop a post that bjjhq are doing rolling sales right now, a new sale every 20min.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pwny_Xpress posted:

One of my buddies from school trains BJJ with Chael here in Portland and he says that Chael's HUGE these days.

Should be interesting to see him in there with somebody less ridiculous than last time. Plus the two have a history or sorts, right/

He beat Babalu in some little D-league show back when both of them were nobody, then Babalu triangled him in Sonnen's UFC debut, which featured Babalu catching him in a heelhook in the first round that Sonnen literally screaming in pain while grabbing the fence

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Like fat huge or no more drug testing life is good huge?

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

canada jezus posted:

Like fat huge or no more drug testing life is good huge?

Since he is in the next Metamoris id say the latter

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Is it worth it to go watch Pan Ams for a couple hours tomorrow morning? I've got a flight out of SNA at 1 so if I head down to that area when matches start I could watch for 2-3 hours before having to head out. But if it just a mess that likely wont start on time I wont bother.

I went. It seemed really well run, at least as a spectator. And with 12 mats there was always some action going on. I wish they would have been doing some heavier weight classes so I could have seen some brown and black guys who are my size go at it. But it was still worth the trip and the admission fee.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Thoguh posted:

I went. It seemed really well run, at least as a spectator. And with 12 mats there was always some action going on. I wish they would have been doing some heavier weight classes so I could have seen some brown and black guys who are my size go at it. But it was still worth the trip and the admission fee.

Nice man, how much was the admission?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Odddzy posted:

Nice man, how much was the admission?

$15

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't think I'm going to have time to put together a big effortpost for the NCAA Wrestling Championship this year. Does somebody else want to do it? Or just chat about it in here?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

widunder posted:

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/gabi-garcia-to-focus-on-jiu-jitsu-postpones-mma-debut-at-jungle-fight/

meanwhile

"Jungle Fight, the No. 1 MMA promotion in Brazil, will start drug testing fighters this year. Longtime MMA promoter Wallid Ismail told MMA Fighting that two fighters will be randomly selected to do the test after every event, starting on March 28. Ismail will do it even though he expects to lose a lot of money with it."

The Jungle Fight drug test will consist of showing the fighter a number of flashcards with depictions of various drugs on them. The fighter will have to correctly identify the majority of the drugs in order to pass the test.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Thoguh posted:

I don't think I'm going to have time to put together a big effortpost for the NCAA Wrestling Championship this year. Does somebody else want to do it? Or just chat about it in here?

Ahh c'mon man. I remember your write up was pretty good last year. I like watching the wrestling but it's worse when I know literally nothing about it, and I think your the only big fan around these parts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Seltzer posted:

Ahh c'mon man. I remember your write up was pretty good last year. I like watching the wrestling but it's worse when I know literally nothing about it, and I think your the only big fan around these parts.

:unsmith:

I suppose I can half rear end something by tomorrow afternoon.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
ONE STRANGE FOOT-CHOKE, GRAPPLERS HATE HIM (?)

https://instagram.com/p/0REJqwmzln/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah those are women or I'm out of my drat mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah those are women or I'm out of my drat mind.

Can't it be both?