Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

I don't know if this is the correct thread or not, but I've been considering raising meat rabbits for food. Does anyone have any good resources or a thread to point me to?

Try goons with spoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Here's an old one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481580 (possibly :nms: for this thread)

As the OP implies, notsoape had another one up before that one, maybe you can find it via post history or maybe someone in GWS still has it bookmarked.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
We have a dwarf bunny who in the last few days has gone off her food a bit. She's still drinking but just not eating half as much. She loves veggie scraps (carrot, Brussel sprouts etc.) but wouldn't touch what I gave her last night. Also every now and then she'll make these weird jumping movements that she's never done before, like there is something biting her? She's a house rabbit and we have no other pets so I sincerely doubt she's picked up a parasite.

I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow, but do those symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I am taking care of my sister's rabbit for a bit. He tends to get violent when treats are involved and I don't know if there is something to do about it. If you don't give him a treat right away he will try to climb up to it and sometimes grunt and swipe at you. When you do give him a treat he acts like you are going to take it away from from. I have seen him attack the food dish that his own face is in, who knows why. In general he is incredibly aggressive about food. Apparently the person she got him from didn't know how to properly care for a rabbit which explains a bit. It took a while before he would let anyone pet him let alone pick him up and he was overweight which is why pellets were only a treat for a while. But this was all a 2-3 years ago and in general he is much better except when treats are involved.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CampingCarl posted:

I am taking care of my sister's rabbit for a bit. He tends to get violent when treats are involved and I don't know if there is something to do about it. If you don't give him a treat right away he will try to climb up to it and sometimes grunt and swipe at you. When you do give him a treat he acts like you are going to take it away from from. I have seen him attack the food dish that his own face is in, who knows why. In general he is incredibly aggressive about food. Apparently the person she got him from didn't know how to properly care for a rabbit which explains a bit. It took a while before he would let anyone pet him let alone pick him up and he was overweight which is why pellets were only a treat for a while. But this was all a 2-3 years ago and in general he is much better except when treats are involved.

TBH this is all pretty normal bunny behaviour.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I am used to a bunny who is so excited for treats he will repeatedly fall over backwards trying to reach them. Grunting and attacking doesn't seem normal.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

CampingCarl posted:

My bunny acts this way when I have treats for her.

And when I don't have treats for her.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet will run up, sit patiently while I pull em outta the box and the second I have it in my hand she'll rip it out with force and run away to eat it as if I was going to steal it.

Also, this morning, she decided the best way to get me to let her out of the cage was to binky, and the flop onto the food and water bowls, spilling both. I have a spaz bunny

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CampingCarl posted:

I am used to a bunny who is so excited for treats he will repeatedly fall over backwards trying to reach them. Grunting and attacking doesn't seem normal.

There is a huge range of behaviours that can be considered "normal" for a pet rabbit, based on any number of factors. Being aggressive around food is definitely in that range.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 13, 2015

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm so afraid for those cords :gonk:

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

grack posted:

There is a huge range of behaviours that can be considered "normal" for a pet rabbit, based on any number of factors. Being aggressive around food is definitely in that range.

Particularly so for rabbits with a rough past, their instinctive obsession for food is strong enough without the learned behavior that food can be scarce or hard to come by.

We have had a foster bunny for the past couple of months who spent several nightmarish years caged up in a hoarder house. She's an amazingly sweet, cuddly bunny, but when it comes to food she basically goes momentarily insane (more than normal bunny treat madness). I've learned my lesson the hard way about reaching down to give her anything like I do with our own rabbits. Two times now she has clamped down like a vise on a fingertip and jerked and pulled for several seconds while I try to get her to snap out of a food frenzy. I can only imagine the potential behavior of a less sociable or human tolerant bunny, with a similar past, when food comes into play.

Despite the finger chomping she really is an awesome rabbit and I've got to get around to sharing some pics and videos with the thread sooner rather than later.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Remora posted:

I'm so afraid for those cords :gonk:

though it does look like gracie is plotting cord destruction, all those cords are pretty well put away. anyway, her taste is much more towards chewing on grace, sorry, baseboards

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I think Harriet wants me to stop drinking so much.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Harriet wants me to stop drinking so much.

Nah dude she wants you to share

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I had some friends over and one of them threw a couple of their cigarette butts into the Garden and our lop Charlie ended up hollowing them out and eating all the insides. He stopped eating and moving for half a day (only figured out what he'd eaten later) and we syringe fed him every few hours , gave him stomach medicine, rubbed his belly and locked him in the dark laundry overnight.
Next day he thumped in annoyance at being trapped but has been so full of energy for the last week. He's been even cuddlier and more affectionate than usual, he figured out how to use the stairs at our new place and runs up them all the time. He's been sneaking into all our housemate's bedrooms but never chewed anything, he's been jumping up on beds just for pats and has stopped minding if we pick him up. He's been standing on his back legs like a meerkat trying to get people's attention then just turns into a liquid when you pat him.

Did poisoning our bunny end up being some sort of catalyst that turned him from a great bunny into the best bunny ever?

He just roams the entire house now never chewing anything, eating plenty of hay but just loving attention and being super happy all the time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

boberteatskitten posted:

Nah dude she wants you to share

....Probably true. She has always tried to steal whatever I was drinking.

Karandras posted:

I had some friends over and one of them threw a couple of their cigarette butts into the Garden and our lop Charlie ended up hollowing them out and eating all the insides. He stopped eating and moving for half a day (only figured out what he'd eaten later) and we syringe fed him every few hours , gave him stomach medicine, rubbed his belly and locked him in the dark laundry overnight.
Next day he thumped in annoyance at being trapped but has been so full of energy for the last week. He's been even cuddlier and more affectionate than usual, he figured out how to use the stairs at our new place and runs up them all the time. He's been sneaking into all our housemate's bedrooms but never chewed anything, he's been jumping up on beds just for pats and has stopped minding if we pick him up. He's been standing on his back legs like a meerkat trying to get people's attention then just turns into a liquid when you pat him.

Did poisoning our bunny end up being some sort of catalyst that turned him from a great bunny into the best bunny ever?

He just roams the entire house now never chewing anything, eating plenty of hay but just loving attention and being super happy all the time.

Did the nictoine cause brain damage?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did the nictoine cause brain damage?

Who knows! He's way more confident and his spatial skills are a lot better as well (Probably related, he's just trying jumps he was too timid to do before?). Hopefully it isn't something that he suffers the opposite of it later.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also smack your idiot friend for being an rear end in a top hat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If your rabbit is grunting and swiping for treats but isn't biting or panicking it's probably a dominance move. He just wants to see if he can boss you around.

I'm not sure the best way to scold or discourage the behavior, but once he knows you're dominant to him he'll calm down a bit. They're very hierarchy-focused animals.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One of the rabbits nabbed the apple I was eating and ran off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet,

I know you are a supervilllain, but please can you call for a ceasefire with my roommate? Yes she is a vet and occasionally picks you up for brushing and a checkup. But, do not break out of your cage (Side note: Seriously, stop body slamming the cage door) scratch on her door, headbutt her door open, run under her bed and start thumping while she's asleep, and then later stalk her through the apartment, and leap on her whenever she bends down to get things like remote control, video game controllers, or a dropped loonie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I got home from work today with mom all worried because Ella hadn't come out from under her hidey couch on the patio all day to eat any of the treats she saved for her from today's cooking. Lift up hidey couch, Ella is not there.

Find her in Dad's room, chilling out in the middle of the carpet. She'd been hanging out in there for hours, from the state of his paperwork. Hope you weren't serious about that investment prospectus, dad! Strangely, she had not pooped or marked anywhere in the office. This might be because dad is Favorite Human.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Chompsky was interested in what I was doing this morning.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's a rabbit that wants to destroy your laptop with his claws and teeth.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Chompsky was interested in what I was doing this morning.

Human, what is that and where are it's wires for me to destroy. We have things to discuss.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Surprisingly, she has no interest in wires. It's pretty great to be honest.

That doesn't mean she doesnt try to destroy all my other poo poo, but it's kind of nice not having to worry about her chewing on cords and electrocuting herself.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
poster: 'hey look at my beautiful rabbit'
thread: 'who knows what evil lurks beneath the fur'

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

poster: 'hey look at my beautiful rabbit'
thread: 'who knows what evil lurks beneath the fur'

me:I know what evil lurks behind Harriet's fur
Thread: SHE'S SO FLUFFY AND ADORABLE

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

me:I know what evil lurks behind Harriet's fur
Thread: SHE'S SO FLUFFY AND ADORABLE
Yeah, but let's be fair. Your suffering makes us grow stronger.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I was wondering; If a Vet Clinic is claiming only 60% of female bunnies survive the spaying procedure is that correct?

My SO took in her new bunny to be spayed this morning and the bunny hasn't woken up possibly due to over-anesthetizing.

The vet is racking up some nice charges that don't seem reputable, would it be common to pay hundreds of dollars for a spay that fails and ends in the bunny's death? (started as a basic 70$ for the spay)

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 1, 2015

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I am not a vet but that seems super low.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Remora posted:

I am not a vet but that seems super low.

This is sort of what I thought and unfortunately kind of feel like my SO didn't do her research and kind of brought this on herself and the bunny :/ Though I don't blame her, you can't just trust someone cause they're a vet.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Bob Log posted:

I was wondering; If a Vet Clinic is claiming only 60% of female bunnies survive the spaying procedure is that correct?

My SO took in her new bunny to be spayed this morning and the bunny hasn't woken up possibly due to over-anesthetizing.

The vet is racking up some nice charges that don't seem reputable, would it be common to pay hundreds of dollars for a spay that fails and ends in the bunny's death? (started as a basic 70$ for the spay)

That all sounds really sketchy. Spays are somewhat risky in general, but that 60% number is a huge red flag. The only time I've ever even heard of a bunny spay cost being that low was when a vet around here was having a discount supplemented by outside donations and their own charity work.

How old and about how big (breed/weight) was this bunny? Did they ask her to not let the bunny have food or water for a certain period of time before the spay?

Here's a blurb from the House Rabbit Society on what kind of safe spay rate a proper rabbit vet should have:

"90% success is way too low. Every doctor, whether for animals or humans will occasionally lose a patient; usually because of an undiagnosed problem. veterinarians across the country who spay and neuter rabbits for the House Rabbit Society have lost on average less than 1/2 of 1%."

http://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/

One of you should inquire into everything they do in regards to rabbit spays, and compare to the information on that page, the type of anesthetic used could be a big problem going by what you've described. The same for the details of the questions I asked above, there are a lot of things done for dog/cat spays that do not apply to rabbits and in many cases are flat out dangerous.

The337th fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 1, 2015

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

The337th posted:

How old and about how big (breed/weight) was this bunny? Did they ask her to not let the bunny have food or water for a certain period of time before the spay?

She's a 4 month old Mini-Lop, we rescued her from someone who fed her Frosted Cereal and Girl Scout cookies, she was malnourished and for the last 2 weeks we have been feeding her properly, giving her regular greens etc....

They said that because of how fast bunny metabolism is that she should be fed continuously up to surgery.

Honestly, if I was there, I would've walked out from some of the things my SO was telling me, they thought the bunny was supposed to be a cat and commented on how rare it was for them to see a bunny then she had to wait for 3 hours after the appointment time just to get the bunny in.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Bob Log posted:

She's a 4 month old Mini-Lop, we rescued her from someone who fed her Frosted Cereal and Girl Scout cookies, she was malnourished and for the last 2 weeks we have been feeding her properly, giving her regular greens etc....

They said that because of how fast bunny metabolism is that she should be fed continuously up to surgery.

Honestly, if I was there, I would've walked out from some of the things my SO was telling me, they thought the bunny was supposed to be a cat and commented on how rare it was for them to see a bunny then she had to wait for 3 hours after the appointment time just to get the bunny in.

4 months old would be on the border line of a bare minimum age for a spay, I think most experienced vets recommend something more like 6 months, especially for smaller breeds like a mini lop. Even more so in the case of a rabbit who was possibly still underweight if she was malnourished. I'm not an expert here, but I'd imagine this has a lot to do with being able to minimize the risk with anesthetics.

I only asked about the feeding because anyone with enough expertise would know that you don't avoid feeding because rabbits aren't prone to the risk of vomiting and choking during a surgery like a cat or dog, and the added risk that with rabbit digestive systems you never want them to go long at all without food and water. If a vet wasn't specifically aware of this, they absolutely shouldn't be operating on them.

I'm just hoping the poor thing is getting some sort of proper after care if it is still groggy / affected by the anesthetic, it can take less than a day for a rabbit's GI tract to start shutting down if it isn't getting any fluids or nutrients after a surgery like that.

Those are just some of the reasons rabbits are considered "exotic" pets when it comes to vet care. Responsible veterinarians know this and wouldn't cavalierly attempt caring for them as if their knowledge of cat/dog care is sufficient.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Thanks for the replies, I will definitely be more involved in caring for the bunny in the future (we haven't named her) and I appreciate the insights so I can be a good bunny parent.

Just as follow-up, she has survived, but is unable to move/eat/drink/etc.. under her own power. She's going to require syringe feeding and essentially nursing home level care for the time being. I'm hoping she will pull through to her normal self, I know how bad a bad anesthesia session can be.

On a happier note here's a picture of her being adorable:

She was originally an outdoor bunny and we have tile, so pre-surgery she would run around a lot on her belly, slithering about while she learns to get traction on tile, it's pretty funny.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Thanks for the replies, I will definitely be more involved in caring for the bunny in the future (we haven't named her) and I appreciate the insights so I can be a good bunny parent.

Just as follow-up, she has survived, but is unable to move/eat/drink/etc.. under her own power. She's going to require syringe feeding and essentially nursing home level care for the time being. I'm hoping she will pull through to her normal self, I know how bad a bad anesthesia session can be.

On a happier note here's a picture of her being adorable:

She was originally an outdoor bunny and we have tile, so pre-surgery she would run around a lot on her belly, slithering about while she learns to get traction on tile, it's pretty funny.

Edit: Sooo: The vet claims she was pregnant (but that doesn't make sense at 4months of age, also they charge more for it) They claim she was 5 1/2 months (and other vets who she has seen said she should be 4mo). They left her in her carrier the whole time after the procedure. FYI: This is the local county humane society, not just a random vet AND This particular humane society was specifically recommended by the House Rabbit Society.

Edit^2: It was House Rabbit Society that recommended the vet. I'm just a loving idiot who doesn't know the difference between society and association.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 2, 2015

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Man, if that recommendation thing is the case I would consider contacting them (the House Rabbit Society) to let them know all about the stuff yourselves and this bunny are going through because of following their recommendation. The idea of more people following that advice and dealing with what you guys are is a pretty terrible thought. I don't know if the place was one of the vets they have on their recommended links on the site or what, but I would be surprised if they didn't take that sort of information seriously about a place they apparently consider trustworthy. Also, if there was anyone to put some pressure onto this place to get their act together, I would think the House Rabbit Society people might be the ones to do it.

Here's to hoping she makes a full recovery, it really sucks for that bunny to be lucky enough to get taken in by someone willing to do the right things and then have that result come from bad vet work. It's definitely nothing you guys should feel you've done wrong, I think the vast majority of bunny owners figure it all out through trial by fire. That's just some serious worst case scenario stuff, if I've ever seen it.

e: just realized you typed House Rabbit Association and I just breezed over it assuming it was House Rabbit Society, not personally familiar with the Association if that is a separate group.

The337th fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Pet of the day has a bunny from my local rescue up today.

http://petoftheday.com/archive/2015/April/02.html

I always forget to get some video of her whenever I visit the rescue, she might be the coolest rabbit I've been around. Her thyroid condition really does make her the most hyperactive and outgoing rabbit I've ever seen, from the time you walk in to the time you leave she does laps up and down her 3 floor hutch begging for attention, and no amount of attention is enough.

The337th fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 3, 2015