Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Sarchasm posted:

Here's a weird one: What's good on Netflix that doesn't actually have to be watched? I just had a minor eye procedure and I'd like to be able to set the iPad beside my bed and listen to something with my eyes closed. I've already burned through my backlog of podcasts and an audiobook, I'm not picky at the moment.

Samsara, duh.

(Hopefully this isn't needed but don't put Samsara on)

But for real, how do you feel like a narration-heavy documentary? I mean, as long as you're dealing with movies or tv there will be an important visual component, so this isn't really an easy question. You're gonna miss something no matter what. The best I can think if would be something like a Herzog documentary (Happy People, maybe?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of Ken Burns stuff that you could definitely enjoy without being able to see it. I mean its better if you can but there's still a lot of narration and readings of first hand accounts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Here's a weird one: What's good on Netflix that doesn't actually have to be watched? I just had a minor eye procedure and I'd like to be able to set the iPad beside my bed and listen to something with my eyes closed. I've already burned through my backlog of podcasts and an audiobook, I'm not picky at the moment.

Berberian Sound Studio would be an interesting experience.

Any Ken Burns documentary.

How are you picking the movies?

...How are you reading this post?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Samfucius posted:

But for real, how do you feel like a narration-heavy documentary? I mean, as long as you're dealing with movies or tv there will be an important visual component, so this isn't really an easy question. You're gonna miss something no matter what. The best I can think if would be something like a Herzog documentary (Happy People, maybe?)

Along those lines, the Ken Burns Documentaries might be a good option. You'll miss out on olde tyme pictures of people and events, but they're otherwise pretty narrative heavy and could be listened to without really missing out on much.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Listen to the original War of the Worlds radio broadcast or the recording of the Jonestown massacre.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Educational shows where they interview experts, like Nova or The Universe. Also those true-crime shows like Dateline or from A&E.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eggnogium posted:

Listen to the original War of the Worlds radio broadcast or the recording of the Jonestown massacre.

Jonestown massacre is a fascinating listen. It is up on the Wikipedia page.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Mama is an interesting, disturbing, and genuinely sympathetic villain in a lot of ways, probably thanks to Lena Headey pretty much always playing that type of role really well. It could be that if they had a different actress it would've come across as much more misogynistic. In a similar vein does the original script have Judge Anderson turning the tables on Wood Harris when he fantasizes about hurting her? Because that owns and definitely lifts the movie above misogynistic right when you think it's going to go there.
Oh wow, I had no idea that was Lena Headey playing Mama. That explains why her character was so much better than you'd expect it to be. She's also the only reason to watch 300: Rise of an Empire (which doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere currently though).

But yeah I didn't see Dredd as particularly misogynistic, especially given the great scene you put in spoilers.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Sarchasm posted:

Plenty of stand up sets available that only occasionally rely on visual gags.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Especially this one. :v: I'm pretty sure you were just being cheeky but I love me some male eye candy. Looks like I've got quite a list.

No no, was being quite serious. It's why I enjoyed it. Every scene is full of sweaty, shirtless men giving each other lustful gazes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea that was Lena Headey playing Mama. That explains why her character was so much better than you'd expect it to be. She's also the only reason to watch 300: Rise of an Empire (which doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere currently though).

But yeah I didn't see Dredd as particularly misogynistic, especially given the great scene you put in spoilers.

Eva Green is the only reason to watch 300 2

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Also the best part of Penny Dreadful! :eng101:

Timothy Dalton is super-close second best.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Sarchasm posted:

You might want to visit the podcast thread. Have you listened to Serial?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Immortals is terrible but it's totally worth watching. I think it's probably the best looking bad movie I've ever seen. Tarsem needs to make more movies.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

It Just Got Worse posted:

IIRC, it read as being incredibly mysogynistic with regards to anything involving Mama, and her death scene in particular reads as if the writer was getting off on it . Like, the script has a strong vibe of being written by a guy with some seriously hosed-up views towards women in general, and who is doing a really, really bad job of repressing said issues. For what it's worth though, I went in with pretty much the same apprehensions and didn't have a problem with the film itself.

Ding ding ding ding ding

Specifically the script draft I read was suffused with terror about female sexual agency, especially in the form of Mama who was at the time written as an obese, older, very unattractive woman. For a bit of fun, here are the lines in the script about the scene you mentioned in your spoiler tag:

"CUT BACK TO - SLO MO of MA-MA's continuing fall. The fat woman screaming . . . Alone. Looking down, just as she - hits the ATRIUM floor. Head first. Very slowly. Hypnotic to watch… Her skull crushes, flattening. And the rest of her massive body follows. As the body is slowly pulped, GO TO -"

It's that kinda vibe everywhere, with the sense that holy poo poo, everything about this slutty uggo ought to be met with terror and/or scorn. It even bleeds over to Anderson in a way. In the actual film, my understanding is that the scene between her and Wood Harris y'all have been mentioning plays out by her making him see a vision of Mama biting his dick off, like she did to a guy in her backstory, right? In the draft script, the scene is the same except there's no mention of dick-biting at all, the horror is just that oh my God you're getting blown by an unattractive woman, live in feeeeaaaaar.

Like, every indication I have is that that weird poo poo got ironed out in a later draft of the script, or in between the script and the shooting proper. I have every indication that the film is at least reasonably dope. It's just so loving bizarre basically that what everyone's recommending as this really cool action film with a sick aesthetic and a couple neat subversive elements started out as that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Donnie Brasco - pretty good mob drama, but a big step below Godfather/Goodfellas tier. Pacino steals the show as a low ranking mob hitman. He looks like a downtrodden used car salesman most of the time and the movie does a good job of subtly showing (and not telling) why he's never moved up the ladder much. I'm pretty sure Michael Madsen is naturally the most sleazy, vaguely-dangerous-looking dude alive. There's a couple of moments that felt a bit hammy for what they were going for (Lefty telling his woes and the Sad Music cutting in was the most noticeable) but I thought the weakest part was actually Johnny Depp. His accent was pretty bad and I just never bought him in the role. Most of the time he felt a bit detached and he permanently played the character so stiff as if he was totally new to this undercover thing and was afraid to open his mouth at all without being spotted.

The Bicycle Thief - this movie has haunted my queue since I first got Netflix but I finally vanquished it. Pretty brutal :smith:. Equally brutal was the subtitles; it felt like they gave up when there was more than one character talking and just didn't print anything. I feel like I'm probably missing out a bit.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jonny Angel posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding

Specifically the script draft I read was suffused with terror about female sexual agency, especially in the form of Mama who was at the time written as an obese, older, very unattractive woman. For a bit of fun, here are the lines in the script about the scene you mentioned in your spoiler tag:

"CUT BACK TO - SLO MO of MA-MA's continuing fall. The fat woman screaming . . . Alone. Looking down, just as she - hits the ATRIUM floor. Head first. Very slowly. Hypnotic to watch… Her skull crushes, flattening. And the rest of her massive body follows. As the body is slowly pulped, GO TO -"

It's that kinda vibe everywhere, with the sense that holy poo poo, everything about this slutty uggo ought to be met with terror and/or scorn. It even bleeds over to Anderson in a way. In the actual film, my understanding is that the scene between her and Wood Harris y'all have been mentioning plays out by her making him see a vision of Mama biting his dick off, like she did to a guy in her backstory, right? In the draft script, the scene is the same except there's no mention of dick-biting at all, the horror is just that oh my God you're getting blown by an unattractive woman, live in feeeeaaaaar.

Like, every indication I have is that that weird poo poo got ironed out in a later draft of the script, or in between the script and the shooting proper. I have every indication that the film is at least reasonably dope. It's just so loving bizarre basically that what everyone's recommending as this really cool action film with a sick aesthetic and a couple neat subversive elements started out as that.

Holy loving poo poo.
Yeah, none of that comes through in the movie, it's really female empowering.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh poo poo, how did I get those two mixed up? Yeah I totally had Lena Headey confused with Eva Green for some reason.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's because Headey is in the first 300. She does a good job, as she is apt to do, but she doesn't really steal the show like Green does.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Counterpoint: The movie is a giant waste of time and has all kinds of insane tone issues and horrendous acting. Looking at the Wikipedia article, it looks like critics either loved it or hated it, so your mileage may vary, I guess. It's definitely...different. But I found it pretty unengaging.

Did you at least like the score? It's so good I bought the album.

Definitely a divisive story but the audio and visual craftsmanship is amazing. The set designer admitted to cribbing from basically every movie that you'd think this resembles, but they pushed it farther and dirtier then anyone else. The opening scene alone used 2.5 tons of fish.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I remember thinking Pontypool was all in the dialogue and the visuals of the film were mostly extraneous. Phoneposting though so can't check if it's on NF.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'd argue they both do a pretty good job. The longer I go without seeing 300: Rise of an Empire, the more fondly I remember most aspects of it. It's at least an exceptionally bad movie, which, following 300, is about as good as an exceptionally good sequel. The writing is uneven and a lot of the themes aren't explored to their best potential, but the acting, action, and direction are all quite good and, I dare say, give the original a run for its money.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a sequel to 300? Did anyone else not know that?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Gladney posted:

If it makes you feel better there was a period of a few months where I'd think to myself "Wait, they're making another Sin City?", and then "Wait no, they're not, they're just making another 300. I got confused because of Frank Miller."

Repeat a week later with the movies reversed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The best part about Dredd is that it doesn't spend more than a few minutes telling you about the setting upfront, since you learn about that stuff throughout the movie. Just go to a comic book store and find the first in whatever collected series of Judge Dredd comic books they have. If it seems cool, you'll probably like the movie. If you liked Starship Troopers and RoboCop, it's like those but more violent and bleak.
If you liked Starship Troopers and RoboCop and wanted those movies except instead of the self-awareness and irony you want a movie that literally just worships the guy who shoots all the bad guys, then you'll love Dredd!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jack Gladney posted:

It's very very bad, but Eva Green is very very good in it and it has the best sex scene of last year.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Chichevache posted:

Sonatine is one of the most beautifully shot movies I have ever seen. Dark, funny, heartwarming. Violent. People have been recommending it for years in these threads and I should have listened to them earlier. Easily in my top 20 of all time, maybe top 10.

Is it on netflix again? It wasn't a month ago.

So I actually watched Sonatine tonight and wow. Not at all what I was expecting, but I loved it. It is all the things you said it was, and has kind of stuck itself into my brain cavity. Though you left out sad. Not depressing, or downtrodden or grimm, just genuinely sad. I think I'm gonna give it a few days and watch it again.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

axleblaze posted:

Immortals is terrible but it's totally worth watching. I think it's probably the best looking bad movie I've ever seen. Tarsem needs to make more movies.

Basebf555 posted:

Its actually good though. If you're into movies with stunning(even aside from the men) visuals I think you'll like it.
I couldn't finish Immortals, despite loving Tarsem and the visuals. He was going to make a Marco Polo movie, which could've been incredible given how his visuals play with orientalist imagery. Unfortunately the studios refused to release The Fall despite it being totally great, so I doubt he'll be able to get many ambitious projects greenlit at this point. I wonder if the Netflix series grew out his Marco Polo project.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you liked Starship Troopers and RoboCop and wanted those movies except instead of the self-awareness and irony you want a movie that literally just worships the guy who shoots all the bad guys, then you'll love Dredd!
Maybe it's because I'm familiar with the comic books enough to know the universe well. But while the movie is lighter on the satire and dark comedy than the comic books, it's also possible you don't really "get" Judge Dredd.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

The Time Dissolver posted:

I remember thinking Pontypool was all in the dialogue and the visuals of the film were mostly extraneous. Phoneposting though so can't check if it's on NF.

Yes to both!!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Leper Residue posted:

So I actually watched Sonatine tonight and wow. Not at all what I was expecting, but I loved it. It is all the things you said it was, and has kind of stuck itself into my brain cavity. Though you left out sad. Not depressing, or downtrodden or grimm, just genuinely sad. I think I'm gonna give it a few days and watch it again.

I've said it before in this thread, but the paper sumo scene in Sonatine is one of my favorite scenes in all of film.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions on things to watch while my eyes are recovering, by the way. Last night I listened to a good chunk of Prohibition while resting my mangled eyeballs, it worked pretty well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why is Houdini so early 2000s bad at times. Like the soundtrack which is LOUD FOR NO REASON and I think I heard a Marilyn Manson song.

Still enjoyed it but drat.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

The Time Dissolver posted:

This was the creator's intent! He actually also created a radio drama for Pontypool while filming the movie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

If you like The Shining, Room 237 is a documentary that's mostly analyses and "fan theories" of that movie, and it's pretty much all just people talking over relevant scenes of the movie.

Joke answer: Mad Ron's Previews From Hell, although that's not as much of a joke if you really like shlocky movie trailers.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Sarchasm posted:

John Hodgman: Ragnarok is great if you like his dry style of humor. I don't think there's any visual gags in it unless you count his general appearance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Why is Houdini so early 2000s bad at times. Like the soundtrack which is LOUD FOR NO REASON and I think I heard a Marilyn Manson song.

Still enjoyed it but drat.

Cause it was made for the History Channel.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leper Residue posted:

I probably should have mentioned other people would find it very sad, but I found the ending so empowering that it didn't leave me with that feeling. I am a weirdo.

Sarchasm posted:

I've said it before in this thread, but the paper sumo scene in Sonatine is one of my favorite scenes in all of film.

That scene was so beautiful I called my fiance into the room so she could watch it with me again. It might be my favorite scene in a film ever, or at least it has stuck with me. I need to make an avatar of those two guys prepping for the sump fight in double speed. :allears:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I wasn't big on it at first but Kimmy Schmidt really grew on me in the end. The premise seemed very one-note but they do have a nice arc going.

GonSmithe posted:

Holy loving poo poo.
Yeah, none of that comes through in the movie, it's really female empowering.

I'm still kind of reeling over the idea of someone bothering to read the script to Dredd :raise:

I mean I love the movie but not exactly for its intricate plot or amazing Glengarry-esque dialogue.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 14, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

If it makes you feel better there was a period of a few months where I'd think to myself "Wait, they're making another Sin City?", and then "Wait no, they're not, they're just making another 300. I got confused because of Frank Miller."

Repeat a week later with the movies reversed.

The saddest part of either film is that Robert Rodriguez directed the one that was much worse.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm still kind of reeling over the idea of someone bothering to read the script to Dredd :raise:

I mean I love the movie but not exactly for its intricate plot or amazing Glengarry-esque dialogue.

The plot wasn't an Umberto Ecco novel, but it was pretty intricate for what it was. Everything ties together very coherently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Chichevache posted:

The plot wasn't an Umberto Ecco novel, but it was pretty intricate for what it was. Everything ties together very coherently.

Yeah but something tells me reading "and then Dredd executes an entire room full of thugs by shooting and exploding them in various visually creative ways for 10+ minutes" isn't quite as interesting as seeing it play out.