Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How did Clark convince Martha to take the bug into the FBI office (or, for that matter, steal files) for him anyway? I can't remember despite having seen the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
He was there to expose dirty agents and poor security practices type of thing iirc

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Fetus Tree posted:

He was there to expose dirty agents and poor security practices type of thing iirc

And I think the guy Gaad introduced to Martha (the guy who asked about the logs) is with the department Philip is supposed to be with. That's why her bullshit meter is on high alert. I think. Who knows? I'm just here for the wigs.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Was checking out this thread to also ask who got shot. I'm stuck in a hotel so no DVR but I'm going to re-watch and try to figure it out.

In the meanwhile, to try to contribute re: South Africa... basically at this point in the cold war, I guess USA is still supporting South Africa's government. USSR is supporting the anti-apartheid ANC movement. Basic cold war proxy politics I guess?

So, they find out this college kid is a spy for the SA government. He's infiltrating the anti-apartheid movement in the US, planning to wreck poo poo by causing an attack - supposedly on behalf of the movement that he's in - that will make that movement look bad. Like bomb people and blame it on anti-apartheid protesters, discrediting the movement, helping SA government stay in power, etc.

So USSR sends in this ANC (anti-apartheid) bigwig to meet up with the spy kid. He sets up a second meeting in the hopes that it will lure out the kid's handler to try to grab/kill the ANC guy. But instead Phillip and Elizabeth will be there waiting to grab the SA spy kid and handler instead.

So it does seem pretty complicated but I hope that helps clear it up a little bit. And I hope I've got it right!

Also I guess based on what Howe_Sam and Fuckstick said earlier - maybe the lady that got shot was actually there on behalf of SA, to try to help the spy kid grab the ANC bigwig guy sent by USSR. She just got beaten by basically the same plan on the opposite side.

tl;dr: They find out that this kid is a spy for South Africa and send in a guy to help capture the spy kid and his handler.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm confused on why Phillip believes he has a son in Afghanistan. Wasn't he skeptical of Irina telling him about it, way back in season one?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What I don't get is, even if they're 100% successful with Paige, why isn't Philip realizing that the Center's going to want the *same loving thing* with Henry? Elizabeth seems pretty dead-set on turning Paige into ~PROLETARIAT SUPER SPY~, and likely is so zealous about it because 1) she wants to 'save' Paige from a life of religious zealotry, and 2) wants self-affirmation that *she* did the right thing by becoming a spy.

Claudia said "the children of Directorate S" - not "eldest child only."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Henry is sort of a dunce though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

"He fits the profile perfectly. He's intelligent, but an underachiever. Alienated from his parents. Has few friends. Classic case for recruitment by the Soviets."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't even recognize Phillip Ramone until he started talking to the waitress, holy poo poo.

This show is so great. What's the angle on the Northrop lady though? It seems very convoluted.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm confused on why Phillip believes he has a son in Afghanistan. Wasn't he skeptical of Irina telling him about it, way back in season one?

Yes, but now the Soviets grabbed Irina and know about it themselves. Before that point, it was a thing she'd only told him, to his skepticism. Now there's a good amount of bureaucracy who know about it and are telling him that it's the case.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Finished binging through season2 and up to the current episode. End of 2 surprised me with Jared. Pretty tired of Nina though. Her storyline is veering into Doug on house of cards s3 dullness.

I had a friend in jr. High find God like Paige did so it's kind of interesting to me. What happened to Paige's friend that got her into church though?

Also I had no idea non-premium cable could get away with this many butts.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 12, 2015

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Reverse Centaur posted:

I didn't even recognize Phillip Ramone until he started talking to the waitress, holy poo poo.

This show is so great. What's the angle on the Northrop lady though? It seems very convoluted.

Haha was caught off by the costume as well. So I think but if someone who was paying more attention could clarify?

As far as Northrop lady is concerend - Eliz has built a friendship and paved the way to her new job, which I remember is like the person who deals in some way with security clearance, which would be a handy to thing to know about. She talked about her new bf (Philip) and that they meet because he is from a Northrop competior(?) who paid Eliz to answer questions about her work. I am thinking they will try and pay her off to reveal sensitive information iirc?

Also as some one said Martha knows something is up with Clark as the new dude is from the same company and if Clark was legit he would know where the bug came from. I am guessing Clark told her how to destroy it if found, otherwise hell it would be something else if Martha was the one to bring down Super spy Philip!

Last scene was basically the set up team realising they were in the other set up teams way and SA Eliz accent got her killed as she had a van to transport the dude they wanted dead. Basically the russian plan in reverse?

Good episode but defo need a rewatch!

ally_1986 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 12, 2015

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Also I guess based on what Howe_Sam and Fuckstick said earlier - maybe the lady that got shot was actually there on behalf of SA, to try to help the spy kid grab the ANC bigwig guy sent by USSR. She just got beaten by basically the same plan on the opposite side.

Yeah, that's 100% the case, she had a really obvious Seth Efrican accent and that's why she got wasted. It wasn't set up when they were planning the operation because E&P weren't expecting a third SA agent, so Elizabeth spoke to her to make sure she's not just some random who really is there by accident. SA didn't do illegals and would just use regular spies, so Elizabeth knew she could identify the lady by hearing her voice and made a snap judgment.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ally_1986 posted:

As far as Northrop lady is concerend - Eliz has built a friendship and paved the way to her new job, which I remember is like the person who deals in some way with security clearance, which would be a handy to thing to know about. She talked about her new bf (Philip) and that they meet because he is from a Northrop competior(?) who paid Eliz to answer questions about her work. I am thinking they will try and pay her off to reveal sensitive information iirc?

As usual with this show, it's Elizabeth (or Philip) befriending/aligning with someone under a false persona with the goal of collecting something for the Soviets.

Was her fake character supposed to be in AA or some other form of rehab, which was her in to the woman from Northrop?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CBJSprague24 posted:

Was her fake character supposed to be in AA or some other form of rehab, which was her in to the woman from Northrop?

The lady from Northrup is Elizabeth's sponsor at AA.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Reverse Centaur posted:

Presumably it's about stealing info on the B-2 since that was Northrop's big project around that time, and one of the minor storylines last season was about getting hold of the radar deflecting paint. And there was a dude in real life who got busted in like 83 or 84 for trying to sell info to the USSR.

e: wait last season was all about getting info on the stealth bomber nevermind

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 12, 2015

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure the South African woman who got shot was the same woman Elizabeth and her protege saw talking to the South African intelligence guy on their stakeout towards the beginning of the episode.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

comes along bort posted:

Presumably it's about stealing info on the B-2 since that was Northrop's big project around that time, and one of the minor storylines last season was about getting hold of the radar deflecting paint. And there was a dude in real life who got busted in like 83 or 84 for trying to sell info to the USSR.

e: wait last season was all about getting info on the stealth bomber nevermind

I thought last season was about the super secret prop that ended up causing a sub to sink. Anybody think martha is gonna rat out clark? I figured she was gonna eat her gun but that look at the end of the episode was intense.

edit: I guess they also had drews cross dressing brother from the drew carey show that worked in that paint factor and wore glue shoes.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Which happens first, Martha getting iced or Kimmy getting laid?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Branis posted:

I thought last season was about the super secret prop that ended up causing a sub to sink. Anybody think martha is gonna rat out clark? I figured she was gonna eat her gun but that look at the end of the episode was intense.

edit: I guess they also had drews cross dressing brother from the drew carey show that worked in that paint factor and wore glue shoes.

Yeah there was the paint guy, plus trying to reverse engineer ARPANET to gain access to the software and calculations they used to design the aircraft. The irony with the last part is the fundamental concepts behind stealth design came from a Russian mathematician the Soviet government ignored because they thought his research had no immediate practical application, so they let him openly publish his work.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Saw this image from That 70s Show and thought for a second that it was Philip:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Henry is basically a young Amador. That is why Stan understands and gets along with him better than his own son. I can see Henry growing up to join the FBI instead of joining Directorate S.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Gaussian posted:

I'm pretty sure the South African woman who got shot was the same woman Elizabeth and her protege saw talking to the South African intelligence guy on their stakeout towards the beginning of the episode.

Yeah I caught this as well.

I thought Liz took the "I have a son" news pretty well. Maybe it's because he's in Afghanistan.

TCD fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 12, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what a great episode

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
At first I thought Phillip was serious about the extra pineapple, anchovies, and pickles on the pizza and was all, Well, that sure explains how messed up this family is! :smith:

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

wayfinder posted:

Saw this image from That 70s Show and thought for a second that it was Philip:

I want those abba zabbas.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I think we hit Peak Wig with this episode.

Also, Phil's the best character on TV.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Wow, fantastic episode. I love how the show is usually a slow burn with intermittent bursts of action, keeps you on the edge of your seat without getting dull.

I hope you're all doing your part spreading propaganda for this show! 90% of the people I tell about this show haven't even heard of it :(.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bowser posted:

I hope you're all doing your part spreading propaganda for this show! 90% of the people I tell about this show haven't even heard of it :(.

I have a whiteboard in my cube at work that I write a silly message of the day on. Yesterday I made it "Watch The Americans you jerks". Somebody asked me what The Americans was :argh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Fun tidbit from the slate podcast - the original music choice for the climactic scene was Rolling Stones' slave.

I much prefer The Chain, but interesting none-the-less. Also, they'll have Martha's actress on next week - so we're bound to get more Clark/Martha insanity next Wednesday,

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Alison Wright killed it this episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone did. I thought that conversation between Stan and Stan Jr. was really poignant.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah it was the first time I wasn't annoyed by Stan Jr's acting.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It took about halfway through that scene before I was able to figure out where Phil was by process of elimination.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

A bunch of you must have face blindness or something!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

dreffen posted:

A bunch of you must have face blindness or something!

Welcome to the SA forums. There's guys here who saw The Departed and didn't realise Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon were different people.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

GimpChimp posted:

Welcome to the SA forums. There's guys here who saw The Departed and didn't realise Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon were different people.

I've only recently started to notice that this was a large issue honestly.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GimpChimp posted:

Welcome to the SA forums. There's guys here who saw The Departed and didn't realise Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon were different people.pretended he couldn't tell the difference between DiCaprio and Damon, because goons loving love flaunting their lack of awareness of pop culture.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
loving goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Hmm, since everyone here is making fun of goons, I suppose I'll have to go against the grain.

Goons are rad! :dance:

• Locked thread