Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Unique little thing about the Detective: Someone pointed out earlier that he can turn around faster than other characters and even has an animation for it if you swing him around fast enough, but I've discovered that he can actually finish off downed enemies if he's holding a shotgun (Via a blow to the head, no ammo expended) and will maintain posession of it afterwards.

He can execute with any gun, which is unique to him.

paint dry posted:

Most of it, I think. HM2 was probably in development before HM1 was released. There's detailed previews of it dating back to Spring 2013.

Also, to people wondering why nukes didn't start flying after Hawaii was invaded, it kind of makes sense to me. The Cold War hinged on Mutually Assured Destruction, but as a concept it was never put to the test (well uh... it hasn't yet...). I always wondered whether the people in charge would actually go through with, y'know, the whole Apocalypse thing, or if they would try and avoid it by any means necessary (for example by giving up Hawaii.)

The whole thing doesn't make any sense though because San Francisco was NUKED.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Son starts talking to his father and the other guy who turns into Richard too, but only Evan at the end gets to choose what he does.

You know I actually would be interested in a brief follow-up to HLM2. Maybe a couple level dlc or another comic or something. It probably wouldn't say anything we don't know but it'd be neat.

Well The Son talks to his dad, it's the ninja girl that turns into Richard. I doubt there'll be a comic or anything because well, the devs' self inserts nuked the world. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finished this morning after going back and playing some HLM1. I didn't know what to expect, but that was not what I expected. One story question though - was the San Francisco bombing from the comics or something? I didn't see any reference to it in HLM2.

The similar character designs was really confusing - I thought Richter was the henchman for the longest time, and couldn't understand what was happening. I also thought Richter was "the Son" since his mom is a character. And then we met Pardo's "son" and I thought JESUS CHRIST I AM GOING TO PLAY AS THAT?! But no, that was probably too messed up. And then I realized who the Son actually was,, and it was just kinda "oh."

Looking back, I think most of the issues I had with the game could have been fixed by the camera zooming out, like in Teleglitch. One of the nicer things about pixel art is that zooming out makes it look better, and there's a just too much important information off-camera. Some FPS games use a subtle indicator of enemies that are in your LOS but off-camera - that would have made things a lot less frustrating. (Or just zooming out.)

Playing back through some HLM1 helped me figure out what I didn't like about the larger level design. In the first one, a whole "kill puzzle" typically fits on one screen. In 2, the screen only covers a fraction of what you need to know. It's effectively a blind jump problem in platformers.

I also felt like my options were crippled with regard to how I'd want to play a level. There's something magical about the first game's mask menu, and deciding which gimmick you want to employ. Choosing between Fans is probably the closest thing, and it's generally a non-choice after I the Swans finally clicked for me.

Definitely got my $17 worth.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

moths posted:

I finished this morning after going back and playing some HLM1. I didn't know what to expect, but that was not what I expected. One story question though - was the San Francisco bombing from the comics or something? I didn't see any reference to it in HLM2.

The similar character designs was really confusing - I thought Richter was the henchman for the longest time, and couldn't understand what was happening. I also thought Richter was "the Son" since his mom is a character. And then we met Pardo's "son" and I thought JESUS CHRIST I AM GOING TO PLAY AS THAT?! But no, that was probably too messed up. And then I realized who the Son actually was,, and it was just kinda "oh."

Looking back, I think most of the issues I had with the game could have been fixed by the camera zooming out, like in Teleglitch. One of the nicer things about pixel art is that zooming out makes it look better, and there's a just too much important information off-camera. Some FPS games use a subtle indicator of enemies that are in your LOS but off-camera - that would have made things a lot less frustrating. (Or just zooming out.)

Playing back through some HLM1 helped me figure out what I didn't like about the larger level design. In the first one, a whole "kill puzzle" typically fits on one screen. In 2, the screen only covers a fraction of what you need to know. It's effectively a blind jump problem in platformers.

I also felt like my options were crippled with regard to how I'd want to play a level. There's something magical about the first game's mask menu, and deciding which gimmick you want to employ. Choosing between Fans is probably the closest thing, and it's generally a non-choice after I the Swans finally clicked for me.

Definitely got my $17 worth.

Jake's three masks change the playstyle of his levels quite a bit. It would be fun if you could have a 'replay any stage with any character' kinda mode.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm sure it'd be hard but I hope people can figure out ways to mod in new masks, if only so The Son can get some unique techniques and Richter can get his trademark uzi. Seriously what the heck Dennaton.

If the level editor allows for intro/outro scenes too I'll be interested in seeing alt versions of Miami 2.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 14, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This is actually a pretty impressive feat of game design because he managed to make people go from "wtf this is such frustratkng bullshit" to "holy poo poo this game is awesome" again. It's literally the process everyone went through playing HM1. It's not easy to have essentially the same gameplay but to raise the bar another level so that even people who got crazy good at the first one had to work again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My main complaint is you can't just play through the levels minus the story stuff. I'd love to be able to just redo/choose levels from score screen. I think you can only redo a level when you're still on it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Groovelord Neato posted:

My main complaint is you can't just play through the levels minus the story stuff. I'd love to be able to just redo/choose levels from score screen. I think you can only redo a level when you're still on it.

EDIT: I can't read.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Anatharon posted:

If the level editor allows for intro/outro scenes too I'll be interested in seeing alt versions of Miami 2.

Evan: hey pardo i am writing my book on dicks
Pardo: boy i love dicks i enjoy sucking many

OBJECTIVE: kill all the dickmen

Yes. I see wonderful things ahead.

E: Personally I can't wait to make a level full of Henchman's Cat :3:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't know why i can't stop laughing at blinking, toothed Richard when he's a still image

the german is icing on the cake

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i don't know why i can't stop laughing at blinking, toothed Richard when he's a still image

the german is icing on the cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I really want to like Corey, but the dodge feels way more stylish than useful, so I keep using him anyway. :downs:
Hard mode is fun. :doubledowns:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Daily reminder to play with the Dallas mask.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Erata posted:

I really want to like Corey, but the dodge feels way more stylish than useful, so I keep using him anyway. :downs:

Corey is a she :ssh:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I made the mistake of going for A+ in all levels, quite possibly the worst idea I've had in a long time.

I was proud of this at least, so long as I ignore the total time.

(Death Wish)

I never want to see another loving glitchy doorway ever again. And yet I know I will :smithicide:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Erata posted:

Corey's roll is best used for baiting. Charge into a room, go "cya shitlords" and roll back out, then slaughter everything who rushes after you.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Overall time is entirely unrelated to Time Bonus, right? I saw a review that said it was, but I guess they were just misinformed.

Also, what does Special mean? Is it related to a character's special abilities, or..?

vvv The boat is by far the worst level. Just push through it and it's gravy.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 15, 2015

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
I just got to the boat level. I don't think I'm having much fun anymore.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Corey is a she :ssh:

Good good, now tell me which one is Alex and which one is Ash.

Songbearer posted:

Evan: hey pardo i am writing my book on dicks
Pardo: boy i love dicks i enjoy sucking many

OBJECTIVE: kill all the dickmen

Everybody comparing this game to a romhack of the first will get to experience firsthand what a real romhack of the first game would be like. :getin:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Sykic posted:

I made the mistake of going for A+ in all levels, quite possibly the worst idea I've had in a long time.

I was proud of this at least, so long as I ignore the total time.

(Death Wish)

I never want to see another loving glitchy doorway ever again. And yet I know I will :smithicide:

whoa gently caress and i thought my 30 minutes were already an eternity

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is actually a pretty impressive feat of game design because he managed to make people go from "wtf this is such frustratkng bullshit" to "holy poo poo this game is awesome" again. It's literally the process everyone went through playing HM1. It's not easy to have essentially the same gameplay but to raise the bar another level so that even people who got crazy good at the first one had to work again.

This. All I had to do was walk away for a day. Granted I switched to the snipes in the level I was pissed at (casualties), but I went from swearing at my ps4 to beating it and all the Richter levels on my goddamn Vita for christs sake.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

King Vidiot posted:

Good good, now tell me which one is Alex and which one is Ash.

Alex uses the chainsaw, Ash uses the pistol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Choosing to play the final stage from the Continue menu is a bit of a :stare: moment.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Choosing to play the final stage from the Continue menu is a bit of a :stare: moment.

please stop

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Oxxidation posted:

please stop

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Something I noticed about the twins - one of the best things is doing a chainsaw execution while the other provides covering fire. You get to directly control her aim, it's fantastic! Everything about the twins is the best thing about the twins.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

moths posted:

Something I noticed about the twins - one of the best things is doing a chainsaw execution while the other provides covering fire. You get to directly control her his aim, it's fantastic! Everything about the twins is the best thing about the twins.

It's also an achievment, and it's a great tactic to kill big guys.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moths posted:

Something I noticed about the twins - one of the best things is doing a chainsaw execution while the other provides covering fire. You get to directly control her aim, it's fantastic! Everything about the twins is the best thing about the twins.

poo poo I never thought to try that

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Alex uses the chainsaw, Ash uses the pistol.

This is the biggest mistake of the entire game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

freeipods posted:

This is the biggest mistake of the entire game.

Nah, chainsaw maniac girls are hot as heck

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

eviscerate me alex

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, I forgot about Corey's ability to get into levels by rolling through windows from the outside. I recall they advertised that feature in an interview once, can you still do that in the final game? If so I might have a reason to play as her on a couple levels on hard mode (but maybe not, because Alex/Ash).

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Yeah, I didn't catch that until my second playthrough. I guess she's wearing armor or something?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At first I totally missed what was going on when Pardo visited Alex's house. Didn't know who the girl was, or why the clothes got shoved under the bed

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

I remember in the first game when the janitors/devs were making a big point about how they didn't pressure people at all to go on those missions to slaughter people -- that they just left the voicemail, sent the masks and let them do their own thing. Was that a lie/meta bullshit? It seems like 50 Blessings was actively threatening people with physical harm.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Feminition posted:

I remember in the first game when the janitors/devs were making a big point about how they didn't pressure people at all to go on those missions to slaughter people -- that they just left the voicemail, sent the masks and let them do their own thing. Was that a lie/meta bullshit? It seems like 50 Blessings was actively threatening people with physical harm.

Retconned so that HM2 could be a lorefest.

Similar to how Jacket vomited after the first level of HM1 but now in HM2 he's actually a trained war veteran.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Pirate Jet posted:

Retconned so that HM2 could be a lorefest.

Similar to how Jacket vomited after the first level of HM1 but now in HM2 he's actually a trained war veteran.

Homeless people get him nauseous, that's totally reasonable.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Maybe he vomited because he was high as gently caress or something

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Probably not too farfetched to say that killing other soliders is one thing but murdering a homeless guy is another

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Probably not too farfetched to say that killing other soliders is one thing but murdering a homeless guy is another

Or that he vomited from the fact that he was killing again, after he had thought he had left the war behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Food poisoning, totally unrelated.

• Locked thread