Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Put me in the long odds then at 28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
You got mine wrong but I'll roll with the punches and keep it at 1, besides the only ones who count as "people" on Everest are the sherpas in my book.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The mountain's hunger will not remain satiated as the elder ones awaken. 19 deaths including bloggers on the mountain tweeting about how dangerous it is

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I will take 19 too, or twenty if not that.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Put me in for 18.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

The North Tower posted:

Current bets chart for the Everest Deaths 2015 Guessing Contest!!!

<snip>

DumbparameciuM:

DumbparameciuM, you will receive a WWE action figure of your choice (up to $20) if this happens, regardless of the number of deaths, since I appreciate your imagination. You may also pick a number to be eligible for a prize.

<snip>

You loving rule, North Tower xD

I'll take the last 1 death guess I suppose!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'll take 2. Both sherpas who die setting a line or some other work related incident.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012
I waited too long. So, I'll say the mountain deals itself blackjack.
21 is my guess.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
35 people die, and I hope it's loving televised.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

StoneOfShame posted:

Everest will claim six including Sherpa. Bonus guess, on of those claimed will of course be Alyssa Azar the Australian trying to become the youngest woman to summit and she will die in an avalanche as befitting someone who was there for last years avalanche and decided it didn't faze her.

I thought some 13 year old or 14 year old beat her to the punch, rendering her pre-written book obsolete

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll take 23 all day.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Smasher posted:

I thought some 13 year old or 14 year old beat her to the punch, rendering her pre-written book obsolete

Yeah but she was Indian soooooo....

Although, she summited last year, a month after the Sherpa incident. I didn't realise anyone had gone up there at all.

eta- LOOONNNNNGGGG but interesting blog post from Alan Arnette about last year's season - I'll quote some bits I found interesting

quote:

From Tibet over 100 people summited. And from Nepal, six summits, albeit aviation assisted since the climbers flew to Camp 2 instead of climbing through the Icefall.

quote:

In general, the new generation of sherpas are quite different from their fathers and grandfathers. They have more western style education, they are more ambitious, they do not hesitate to show their emotions.
Oh no!! The sherpas are getting uppity! How dare they fight back against their generally lovely/patronising treatment!

quote:

The Everest Haters, found red meat in this action, using it as further evidence that today’s Everest climbers (and the Haters reject even using the term climber) were incapable of attempting Everest without the support of the sherpas. They were correct.

It kills me how bitchy the community is, you can read so much between the lines of this article.

A wealthy Chinese lady summited, with the help of a helicopter..

quote:

Local newspapers called her “legendary”. When asked about helicopters, she refused to comment but two days later said she never used a helicopter and had climbed the Icefall. Her helicopter pilot and new organizer said she had flown into the Camp 2. The Ministry said they would look into it before issuing a final summit certificate.

Finally on June 6, she told Chinadaily she did take a helicopter.

There was also a link to this article about the Sherpa, I haven't got around to reading it yet (about to go to work) but I'll post it here.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/mountaineering/Disposable-Man-History-of-the-Sherpa-on-Everest.html

Rondette fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 15, 2015

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Put me down for 19.5; this year, one midget will die on Everest's uncaring face.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Maybe some helicopters crashing because more and more fly to camp 2.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

gonna go with a nice round 20

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

The North Tower posted:

Updated list - we're pretty much out of the typical range by now, with 2-15, 17 and 26 all taken - sorry if you weren't able to enter with a number you wanted, but I did follow request solely in chronological order, and there's always next year for the big 20-year-anniversary party!

enziarro, bonus for 3 dead climbers, sherpa quintuplets

stab

Zo

Pick
HEY VAPER

2s are all taken for now
SaltLick
SteveVizsla
sleepycat

3s are all taken for now
Pale Ale, with a bonus for all climbers, no sherpas
Demonachizer, with a bonus if one of them is a Count
Gripen5, with a bonus for 1 sherpa, 2 climbers

4s are all taken for now
Minrad
captainobliviou, with a bonus for K2 having more than Everest
Bunnita

5s are all taken
Angela Christine
polpotpotpotpotpot
I Greyhound, with a bonus for all climbers, no sherpas

6s are all taken
Dely Apple
Grim Up North
StoneOfShame, with a bonus of Alyssa Azar being one of the deaths

7s are all taken
elwood
The North Tower
redreader:
<8 (Caltrain deaths as of the end of the day March 13, 2015, PST) - (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize--locking you in at 7 for now)

8s are all taken
LongDarkNight
Ogive
mistressminako

9s are all taken
Plinkey
Fatkraken, with a bonus for 6 on the Tibetan side and 3 from the Nepalese side
Catpain Slack, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 7 climbers

10s are all taken
Chris!
effervescible
lilljonas, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 8 climbers

11s are all taken
Doctor Schnabel
Paramemetic
Default Settings, with a bonus for one being spectacularly stupid

12s are all taken
Rondette
Catpain Slack:
2-12 (2D6), with a bonus for all climbers (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize) - locking you in at 12 unless you change it
spinst, with a bonus for 2 sherpas, 10 climbers

13s are all taken
Man Whore
littleorv
I Own Soulz

14s are all taken
Crusty Nutsack
Lolance, with a bonus for 2 sherpas and 12 climbers
Nuggan

15s are all taken
The Fuzzy Hulk
Van Kraken
Leperflesh

dirtycajun
Hijo Del Helmsley

17s are all taken
Picnic Princess
ranbo das
Sanguinary Novel, with a bonus for 2 sherpas, 15 climbers

gggiiimmmppp, all climbers

Daedra

BaronVonVaderham, 5 sherpas 17 climbers

26s are all taken
Leperflesh
Stoat
Germstore:
2-26 (1D6+1D20) (please pick an exact number to be eligible for the prize, and also pick your bonus, since 1D6 sherpa and 1D20 climbers is too vague) - locking you in at 26 for now unless you change it

Gehenomm, all climbers

Josef K. Sourdust

Happy Hedonist:

Butt Wizard

If I knew how many permits where issued I'd give you that number, but I can't find it :(

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Triple-Kan posted:

Put me down for 19.5; this year, one midget will die on Everest's uncaring face.

you can't have .5 for a midget, but you DO get a fractional score for every lost digit and limb, so if there's enough frostbite you could make up that .5 from lost fignats, toes, hands and feet.

donar
Nov 16, 2008
Put me down for an even 30 climbers (0 sherpas).

donar fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 15, 2015

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Sticking with my 10, but I'll add a 7/3 tourist/Sherpa split to my guess.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I'm voting two and a half men. Someone's gonna lose their legs.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

gently caress it: calling 23. (Illuminati gonna get involved! :tinfoil: )

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

SimianNinja posted:

gently caress it: calling 23. (Illuminati gonna get involved! :tinfoil: )

Vladimir Putin mysteriously shows up sitting next to Green Boots, autopsy reveals he's been dead for.... ten years!!!!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Meatwave posted:

I'm voting two and a half men. Someone's gonna lose their legs.

Can we just put the cast from Two and a Half Men on the mountain and watch them freeze to death?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rotinaj posted:

Can we just put the cast from Two and a Half Men on the mountain and watch them freeze to death?

Ashton would wander off to punk green boots.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Her blog says youngest Australian now so I guess so. In her defence she does seem pretty well prepared so maybe she wont become a summit crazed moron but who knows.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
18, with four Sherpas.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I made a beautiful banner

(added to the OP along with the current guessing numbers)

Rondette fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 15, 2015

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Rondette posted:

So I made a beautiful banner

This is amazing!

Some animation would be pretty sweet. Like rotating corpses or something? Or just go full Blingee?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SimianNinja posted:

This is amazing!

Some animation would be pretty sweet. Like rotating corpses or something? Or just go full Blingee?

haha, animation is beyond my ken.

BLINGEE Muhahah, that is stupid fun

Rondette fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 15, 2015

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I'm in for 16 with 3 Sherpas, if 16s are still open.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Give me a 23!

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Jesus Christ.

I'm going to say 18, because I like to think the mountain is feeling ambitious and will want to pass last year's record (also, I feel like we're all going to hell for this).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
lots of people are guessing awfully high, is this just because all the lower numbers are occupied or do y'all think that the poo poo that went down last year will make the mountain extra crowded/dangerous?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
IMO it brings bad luck to bet on people's deaths, everytime I open this thread I want to spit and spin around three times.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah, maybe there could be secondary/honorary guesses for realistic and thus "full" numbers.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I'm sticking with my 4 vote, but I'll give Sherpas one (1) and Tourists three (3) of those deaths.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I'm gonna add a bonus guess of 12 climbers, 3 Sherpas.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You can't say I didn't warn you.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Kurtofan posted:

You can't say I didn't warn you.

Throw some salt over your shoulder, too.

Also, I actually think the number will be lower, but 18 wasn't taken yet. Well, that and even the high ones don't seem that farfetched, because between the climate change stuff messing up the mountain's stability and the likely super-glut of climbers this year, all it would take is one bad day at the Icefall or another serac tipping over, and boom--Base Camp turns into a batch of Corpsesicle Surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Rondette posted:

haha, animation is beyond my ken.

BLINGEE Muhahah, that is stupid fun

Yesssss :3:

• Locked thread