Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

That's true, though I've never been completely clear on how that works, since my understanding is that manga is relatively mainstream while anime has a much smaller audience of children and/or loser manchildren. I guess it's to attract children to the kids stuff like Level 5 games, and also gain the notice of the obsessive otaku who will buy BDs and a ton of merch until ~their waifu~ looks at a guy and they burn it all?

From what I've gathered: A manga/game company will commission an anime of one of their popular series. The anime company will then buy a late night block of programming on TV (11:00pm-5:00am.) They then sell DVDs of the program in 2-3 episode chunks with a sampler CD for around $80. Since the Voice Actors and animators are paid barely anything, the money from those sales then goes into the pocket of the production company and licensor. If they want more money they will then put out art books, character goods, or round up the VAs for a drama CD.

On an unrelated Note: I've hit about level 48/chapter 6 in Shallie and now need to wait for the patch to really move on. The bosses and enemies I've been facing need better gear, but I feel like I'm missing out on the growth system as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I was one of those people who enjoyed the third act of BD immensely. Turning off random encounters and speeding up battles in low level areas was necessary though, so I probably would have never finished the original JP release.

The only thing that bugged me was that while most of the asterisk holders had new story and dialogue for each section, a few notables had nothing new. Also, I hated the last boss' classic FF "kill everyone" attacks and abused friend summons to beat him even though I was fairly high level, enough to handle the chapter 8 gauntlet without much trouble.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

bloodychill posted:

I was one of those people who enjoyed the third act of BD immensely. Turning off random encounters and speeding up battles in low level areas was necessary though, so I probably would have never finished the original JP release.

The only thing that bugged me was that while most of the asterisk holders had new story and dialogue for each section, a few notables had nothing new. Also, I hated the last boss' classic FF "kill everyone" attacks and abused friend summons to beat him even though I was fairly high level, enough to handle the chapter 8 gauntlet without much trouble.

If you use alchemy to raise your max HP above 999, it's impossible for him to kill you. And the fight becomes the most boring thing ever. What annoyed me about it was that his attack wasn't counterable with Bushido for absolutely no reason.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
atelier shallie is basically atelier dune

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
So just finished SMT IV neutral ending, and was picking up Bravely Default, when I realized about 8 hours in that I absolutely hated every single character in the loving game, and as much as I like the job system, refuse to pick it up past this point. (I think it really comes down to the awful writing / characters and the terrible anime cliche poo poo.)

Looking for other suggestions for 3DS games, having trouble finding Monster Hunter, also considering Persona Q, and would be open to other RPG-like games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is that a serious post, or are you really asking if you should pick up Persona Q when bravely default expended your anime limit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wookie Bouquet posted:

So just finished SMT IV neutral ending, and was picking up Bravely Default, when I realized about 8 hours in that I absolutely hated every single character in the loving game, and as much as I like the job system, refuse to pick it up past this point. (I think it really comes down to the awful writing / characters and the terrible anime cliche poo poo.)

Looking for other suggestions for 3DS games, having trouble finding Monster Hunter, also considering Persona Q, and would be open to other RPG-like games.

Crimson Shroud

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Don't play PQ it's bad and if you thought BD had bad writing then PQ will kill you. Etrian Odyssey 4 is alright, Rune Factory 4 is good, Devil Survivor is also good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wookie Bouquet posted:

having trouble finding Monster Hunter

But Monster Hunter is on the eshop :confused:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Is that a serious post, or are you really asking if you should pick up Persona Q when bravely default expended your anime limit
they like persona, so it doesn't have anime cliches

now come doki doki with me, tae-senpai

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
did i just enter the vita thread without realizing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all threads are the vita, all vitas are the thread

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vita is life, anime RPGs are hometown.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Million Ghosts posted:

Don't play PQ it's bad and if you thought BD had bad writing then PQ will kill you. Etrian Odyssey 4 is alright, Rune Factory 4 is good, Devil Survivor is also good.

OK good call scratching PQ from the list. Thinking I'll check out Devil Survivor, but Etrian Odyssey and Rune Factory seem too cutesy for me. I really like the idea of a farming simulator thing though...

The White Dragon posted:

But Monster Hunter is on the eshop :confused:

Oh my god. This is a thing. I just got the system, and hadn't even looked at the store.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Let me give you a hint, most of those games are as anime or worse than BD. Just play Monster Hunter.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
EO is 'cutesy' if by that you mean 'will mercilessly slaughter you for being a dumbass'

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you have trouble with bad writing and characters I'm not sure Devil Survivor is for you either. Especially not 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why not just play crimson shroud, or alternatively rune factory 4

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

corn in the bible posted:

why not just play crimson shroud, or alternatively rune factory 4

On that note, how does 4 compare to 3?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

better idea: embrace the anime, motherfucker

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If you don't like bad writing and characters maybe RPGs aren't for you

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Endorph posted:

WARNING! WARNING! Anime containment chamber breached, all posters proceed to the panic room.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My first JRPGs were Final Fantasy VII and Xenosaga Episode 1.

I fear no Anime and neither should anyone else.

Also you don't need to be an RPG to have bad writing/anime/lovely characters. See: Devil May Cry or Resident Evil

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 15, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wookie Bouquet posted:

OK good call scratching PQ from the list. Thinking I'll check out Devil Survivor, but Etrian Odyssey and Rune Factory seem too cutesy for me. I really like the idea of a farming simulator thing though...

You should take a look at the Etrian Odyssey demos. They're pretty substantial and should give a good idea what the games are like.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Overminty posted:

On that note, how does 4 compare to 3?

It's real good, yo. It adds requests, but otherwise mostly it's similar to 3.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The villagers aren't quite as... interesting in RF4 but other than that yeah it's just 3 but better.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

yea

atelier shallie is an awesome game and is anime as gently caress. i hope they patch the bug out because i'm level 35 last time i played. been spending more time fusing items than anything right now tho

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Has anyone actually seen the bug for themselves? I'm sure it's in there, but I'm wondering how much it affects the game from someone who's seen it first hand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Has anyone actually seen the bug for themselves? I'm sure it's in there, but I'm wondering how much it affects the game from someone who's seen it first hand.
There's not much really binary there. It crashes the game when you open the menu. It affects the game in that it's clearly expecting you to upgrade your characters using that system, and so not having it means your characters get weaker and weaker relative to the enemies as the game goes on, until the game's nearly unwinnable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you ever play 7th saga for the snes? it's like that, but on accident

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

hubris.height posted:

yea

atelier shallie is an awesome game and is anime as gently caress. i hope they patch the bug out because i'm level 35 last time i played. been spending more time fusing items than anything right now tho

Yeah, I just got to chapter 5 where The two Shallies team up and even with its idiosyncrasies it is really great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sad about the game-ruining bug because otherwise I'd be recommending the poo poo out of it, but as it stands I really can't.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i've almost started working on the atelier thread

this is my progress report

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cake Attack posted:

i've almost started working on the atelier thread

this is my progress report
I'm interested in seeing the thread, I've never played an Atelier game and until now didn't realise they were popular/meant to be good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think they're all that popular, it's just been quietely chugging along ever since the PS1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Yeah, I got to 40 last night. It doesn't crash the game is soon as you open the menu, but it does when you move the cursor over any of the passive augments and all the descriptions are still in Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I'm interested in seeing the thread, I've never played an Atelier game and until now didn't realise they were popular/meant to be good
they're one of these things

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Paperhouse posted:

I always got the impression that they were a big thing in Japan but we never got those early games, so a lot of those good ideas from those games were eventually copied into other games so we never noticed the influence that Atelier had on the genre.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
They haven't been 'good' good until recently but they've made a niche for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
They're pretty upbeat games with a complex crafting system. I've enjoyed them as far back as Iris on PS2 but they've improved remarkably in the last few years (translation and bugs aside).