Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ummm....the general consensus for Origin's combat was that it was buggy and broken.

The game is very buggy, yes, but it's well designed, at least in my opinion as someone who has played the poo poo out of all the games.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: The leadup to Firefly was great, the actual bossfight was way too gimmicky and reliant on QTEs.

That fight was just horrible. The game immediately kept telling me exactly what to do before I could try out anything, then zooming in on things to show me that I'd had a desired effect on my opponent. It's like the people testing were too stupid to figure out this fight so they basically turned it into Simon Says.

I'm not saying the boss fights were great, but they were usually still a drat sight better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I84uXWmKx4E&t=90s

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually liked the fights with Deathstroke and Shiva. It felt like Rocksteady figured out how to do stealth bosses in City with Freeze, and these guys figured out martial arts bosses.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Cons have stopped being just a cellar dweller event at this point. You're as likely to find a group of pre-teens wandering around as a 60 year old bald guy searching through long boxes.

As for prices, it's a fantastic opportunity to find deals. Treat every purchase like a bazaar because that's what it is. If you pay sticker price, you're not doing it right.

I paid full price at most places except the last. It was still cheaper than online options so I considered it a win. But I'll do more extensive haggling next year.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The idea of a Batman-themed Metroidvania is really solid and there are moments in Blackgate where it actually works, they're just so few and far between that it ends up being tedious and disappointing.
Doesn't that bring us full circle since that's exactly what Asylum was anyway?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

What a coincidence that he just happens to meet Harley on his very first night out, which is also the same night the Mad Hatter, Anarky, Riddler (excuse me, ENIGMA), Bane and Deathstroke meet Batman for the first time. And he still had time to organize a massive takeover of blackgate after having this character-defining revelation!

Frankly I didn't have too many problems aside from the Joker hijacking the story like you already mentioned, EXCEPT for that loving Riddler Enigma sidequest which honestly pissed me off, moreso than any dumb collect-a-thon should. I mean, I get it, it's supposed to be Batman's first time meeting all these villains so I guess they didn't want to come out and say "Oh hey I'm the Riddler" right from the start but on the other hand they actually play it like a mystery when it is so goddamned obvious it's just annoying. Oh, and then your reward at the end is... to see that he gets away and you get a Riddler Trophy and you're supposed to be like "Oh man it's the Riddler!" but again, loving everyone playing the game figured that out at least 100 trophies datapacks ago if they were actually bothering to 100% the game. Oh, and before he takes off, he drops some hint that he knows who Batman is, but since the game's a prequel, it's pointless since we know he clearly never follows through on doing anything with the info (plus one of the Arkham City interview tapes shows that Riddler definitely doesn't know who Batman is).

I don't need a boss fight and I don't need Bats to beat him to a bloody pulp, but even in Asylum you got to hear the satisfying conclusion of the cops breaking down Riddler's door and catching him over the radio at the end. If I'm going to be doing a massive undertaking like that stupid collectathon I want a bit of catharsis at the end besides "Enigma is the Riddler! WOW :geno:"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What was the thought process behind this

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Cable being a classic first person shooter protagonist

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The thought was: "I'm drawing Cable and the year's something like 1992."

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cardboard Box A posted:

"I must draw the coolest image possible".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wanna see what Greg Capullo's art will look like in another 20 years.

Ghostlight posted:

It was pretty much "gently caress gently caress gently caress I have to draw a foot gently caress gently caress gently caress" and like four hours of procrastination drawing.

Wrong Cabler.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 15, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cardboard Box A posted:

It was pretty much "gently caress gently caress gently caress I have to draw a foot gently caress gently caress gently caress" and like four hours of procrastination drawing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Because he's going to fight somebody that looks just like him, only in spiky armor - - face to face!! Get it? Get it?

See what's why he says literally.

Because they have the same face.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The idea of a Batman-themed Metroidvania is really solid

Have there been any other well-done superhero games in this vein? I could see Spider-Man being a pretty obvious candidate for one...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

well-done superhero games

Well, y'see, the thing with that is...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I vaguely remember a decent DS Spider-man game with a bit of sprawling 2d platforming to it.

e: Shattered Dimensions looks the part from Youtube. Not sure if that's the one I tried.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 15, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Teenage Fansub posted:

I vaguely remember a decent DS Spider-man game with a bit of sprawling 2d platforming to it.

e: Shattered Dimensions looks the part from Youtube. Not sure if that's the one I tried.
Spiderman Web of Shadows DS is the one that is a straight up 2D Metroidvania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_uhAJhBGMw

Short though

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghostlight posted:

Doesn't that bring us full circle since that's exactly what Asylum was anyway?

Blackgate's got a bit more nonlinearity / level interconnection and backtracking through old areas with new gear. It's more of a Metroidvania than Asylum, it's just not a better game.

It's also got the worst bossfight in the entire Arkham series.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's also got the worst bossfight in the entire Arkham series.

You have to tell me which this is just because this is already the worst Arkham game, hands-down, and yet because it was a gift I'm going to finish the little bastard. Also in what is probably the perfect summary of how much of a disaster this game is:

The unloved bastard animated series makes its only video game appearance in the unloved bastard Arkham title.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The final fight: Catwoman.

On the bright side the game did have Red Son Batman as an outfit, and the Joker and Grundy fights weren't bad given the limitations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Son Batman is in Injustice and Arkham Origins. You don't need to subject yourself to a bad 3DS game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, but if you do it helps as a coping mechanism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really hope I can use the dumb loving alt skins right off the bat in Arkham Knight. I'm so tired of playing as Mecha-Batman while I have awesome comic/cartoon outfits right there, taunting me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

"I must draw the coolest image possible".

90s.txt

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Well, y'see, the thing with that is...

To be fair superhero games are inoffensively mediocre at worst. There's been some recent stinkers like that Silicon Knights X-Men game but Activision's top down brawlers are some of the best co-op games of last gen and we really need another gritty Punisher shooter.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

al-azad posted:

we really need another gritty Punisher shooter.

Max Payne kind of fills this niche however I totally agree. Make it all Arkham style and instead of bat-tools unlocking you'd just get a new gun or something that explodes real good.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

al-azad posted:

To be fair superhero games are inoffensively mediocre at worst. There's been some recent stinkers like that Silicon Knights X-Men game but Activision's top down brawlers are some of the best co-op games of last gen and we really need another gritty Punisher shooter.

Not as badly as a new Punisher/Fury side scrolling beat 'em up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I just want a competent company to attempt to make an X-men RPG.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of bizarre that nobody has ever made an X-Men game where you got to make your own Mutant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I just want a competent company to attempt to make an X-men RPG.

muscles like this? posted:

It is kind of bizarre that nobody has ever made an X-Men game where you got to make your own Mutant.

You guys are joking right? (though to be clear, about completely different games).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's not that weird. Even at the height of the X-Men film's popularity, there probably wasn't a massive demand for a game where you don't get to play as the famous characters.

Add to that, the one game that came close was Silicone Knight's trainwreck X-Men: Destiny and, well...

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Liefeld is heading a series about Adam and Eve.

They're gonna be so buffffffff

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
An lo they did hide their shame with fig leafs draped over their feet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

NotAnArtist posted:

Liefeld is heading a series about Adam and Eve.

They're gonna be so buffffffff

Damnit Liefeld, it's Adam who has a rib missing, not Eve!!!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Madkal posted:

Damnit Liefeld, it's Adam who has a rib missing, not Eve!!!

No, it's cool, Eve only has one rib!

That's how that works, right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assume the Serpent is going to be this full-on x-treme Mr Mind in 52 Cthulu monster.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Check out Sex Criminals #11 solicits.

quote:

SEX CRIMINALS #11
story: MATT FRACTION
art / cover: CRIP ZNBLOODZ

JUNE 24 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

NEW STORY! NEW ARC! SAME OLD MATT AND CHIP.
Jon and Suzie have a gift: when they have sex, they stop time. And they’re not alone. Get on board the book that’s been called “hilarious” and “arousing” — by Chip’s mommy. OH! All these issues? They’re all in a sealed bag because 1000 totally random blank covers have been “customized” by Matt and Chip. Will YOU be one of the lucky ones (thousand)? Will YOUR copy be worth a million dollars one day because it is one-of-a-kind and unique (probably not)? YES! (No.)

quote:

SEX CRIMINALS #11 BRYAN LEE O’MALLEY XXX VARIANT
story: MATT FRACTION
art: CHEP DURKDURK
cover: BRYAN LEE O’MALLEY

JUNE 24 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $4.69

The same comic as SEX CRIMINALS #11 only with the first of five XXX variant covers shipped in a solid polybag so it cannot be seen until opened. Ever want to see Scott Pilgrim’s business? What about the bing-bong? What if you could see his floober, too? WHO KNOWS WHAT “MAL” WILL ‘DRAW!!!’
ONE PRINT RUN ONLY.
I look forward to see how Matt spells Chip's name every month.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I want to see Scott Pilgrims bing-bong.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Not as badly as a new Punisher/Fury side scrolling beat 'em up.

You and me, we're buddys now.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/17/valerie-dorazio-on-chris-sims/

Bleeding Cool and Valerie D'orazio are making a scene about Chris Sims being on X-men '92.

It's kind of a non-story but it kinda makes me think it's a cautionary tale for anyone that wants to make it to the big two through blogging with poor inter-personal skills (referring to both Sims and D'Orazio).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shawn posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/17/valerie-dorazio-on-chris-sims/

Bleeding Cool and Valerie D'orazio are making a scene about Chris Sims being on X-men '92.

It's kind of a non-story but it kinda makes me think it's a cautionary tale for anyone that wants to make it to the big two through blogging with poor inter-personal skills (referring to both Sims and D'Orazio).

You know, I was having a pretty lovely day at work today, but between this and the DC thread it made me feel real good that I don't work in comics.

• Locked thread