Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Maybe this is obvious, but I've been thinking about how we no longer use our cell phones as actual phones. Everyone in the camp of "I'll just do it on my iPhone" or "I can just check the time on my phone instead" might be missing out on the fact that, like phones, watches won't simply function as what they originally were created to do in the years to come.

Browsing websites on smartphones used to be poo poo. There was a valid reason to say "I'll just look at it when I'm on my computer." But now the web has transformed around smartphones and almost every website is optimized or has an app. If the smartwatch category is successful then it might just become the norm to check things on your wrist instead of in your pocket.

I also keep thinking about how we're all sort of augmented humans already. Any information we need is right in our pocket: directions to a business or its when it's open, convert any unit of measurement, translate language, take a photo at a moments notice, etc. It's not hard to imagine that having those capabilities always with us will evolve over the years. The Apple Watch just brings all of that to you even quicker. In a group of people who are all looking up something on their phones and sort of racing to see who can accomplish it first will, in theory, be beaten by the person whose gadget is already fixed to their body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
I had a MS Band from launch day for 4 months before I gave it up because the rubber started to tear away from the battery compartments and the screen part even though I didn't put it through much physical stuff. It was probably related to the form of it, which I got used to quickly, but the fitness tracking and "smart watch" functions completely sold me on wanting a device with al that functionality. It's a case of "I didn't know I wanted it until I had experienced it and it went away" so I'll be buying an Apple Watch at launch and I'll let you all know how awesome or horrible it is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fiki posted:

I had a MS Band from launch day for 4 months before I gave it up because the rubber started to tear away from the battery compartments and the screen part even though I didn't put it through much physical stuff.

Mine is doing the same thing.

Also what that guy said about not burning him is pretty much spot on. I've had lots of first generation Apple products and haven't been let down yet.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

MarcusSA posted:

Mine is doing the same thing.

Also what that guy said about not burning him is pretty much spot on. I've had lots of first generation Apple products and haven't been let down yet.

The Microsoft Store I went to replaced it without hassle, it's covered under the warranty as a defect. I promptly took that warranty replacement and sold it for a nice profit.

I'm curious to see how the Apple Watch compares to my Fitbit in heart rate monitoring during exercise because of its form factor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fiki posted:

The Microsoft Store I went to replaced it without hassle, it's covered under the warranty as a defect. I promptly took that warranty replacement and sold it for a nice profit.

I'm curious to see how the Apple Watch compares to my Fitbit in heart rate monitoring during exercise because of its form factor.

That's good to know I'll have to do that and sell it to fund the apple watch

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I've spent $200 on jawbone devices that I'm ultimately meh on. I liked the features and the idea of fitness tracking, but the jawbone's not that great. $349 on a device I'll actually use seems reasonable to me. The sport watch fitness stuff appeals to me, but I'm not especially bothered at the prospect of leaving the phone and losing GPS.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I'd say I'm on the fence for a Sport. Definitely seeing some of these 3rd party apps intrigue me.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

MrBond posted:

I've spent $200 on jawbone devices that I'm ultimately meh on. I liked the features and the idea of fitness tracking, but the jawbone's not that great. $349 on a device I'll actually use seems reasonable to me. The sport watch fitness stuff appeals to me, but I'm not especially bothered at the prospect of leaving the phone and losing GPS.

Wait, is there a bluetooth more awesome than the ERA?

I'm pissed they ditched the tap tap to end calls from the "old" ERA cause that was legit cool.

That's actually a real inquiry masked in a false misunderstanding.

I call my current setup "handcuffs" because I'm wearing an UP24 and a pebble on opposite wrists.

I've been wearing a smartwatch since high school, in '98. Ironman Triathalon with Data-Link represent.

Never got a Fossil PalmOS watch or a SPOT though.

Space black steel looks to be my jam, price tag be damned, "diamond like" means like diamonds to me am I right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I *kind* of want a regular watch with the Milanese band, but not really $700 worth of want. I'd rather wait for the second or even third generation, anyway.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Endless Mike posted:

I *kind* of want a regular watch with the Milanese band, but not really $700 worth of want. I'd rather wait for the second or even third generation, anyway.

I like the Stainless Steel with links but it's expensive and I'd probably want a band if I did any physical activity.

I might pull the trigger but I'm waiting for reviews and I want to play with one before I buy it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I tell myself that I am a sensible consumer and wait for this generation of watch to pan out, but I question my willpower to last the year+ it will take for that to happen, especially once the refurbs start to creep up. Oh, to be a smart goon who isn't always charmed by new electronics :(

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I tell myself that I am a sensible consumer and wait for this generation of watch to pan out, but I question my willpower to last the year+ it will take for that to happen, especially once the refurbs start to creep up. Oh, to be a smart goon who isn't always charmed by new electronics :(

This is me. Get out of my brain.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I look at it as a donation to push technology further.

Ok not really. It's just wasting money on an expensive toy that I don't need, but on the other hand I've done that a lot in my life and I don't seem any worse for wear for it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

eltoozero posted:

Wait, is there a bluetooth more awesome than the ERA?

I'm pissed they ditched the tap tap to end calls from the "old" ERA cause that was legit cool.

That's actually a real inquiry masked in a false misunderstanding.

I call my current setup "handcuffs" because I'm wearing an UP24 and a pebble on opposite wrists.

I've been wearing a smartwatch since high school, in '98. Ironman Triathalon with Data-Link represent.

Never got a Fossil PalmOS watch or a SPOT though.

Space black steel looks to be my jam, price tag be damned, "diamond like" means like diamonds to me am I right?

Oh I only have the up24. The first up was just the worst, I don't think I've ever had a consumer product break on me more than the UP. The up24 isn't much better - it broke on me once too. Ultimately I just stopped wearing it because using the app to get any information out of it was just too clunky. Having a screen on device is more useful than I expected, plus I found it lacking compared to say Fitbit's.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

MrBond posted:

Oh I only have the up24. The first up was just the worst, I don't think I've ever had a consumer product break on me more than the UP. The up24 isn't much better - it broke on me once too. Ultimately I just stopped wearing it because using the app to get any information out of it was just too clunky. Having a screen on device is more useful than I expected, plus I found it lacking compared to say Fitbit's.

Original UP bit the dust like an hour following the Fizmodo post about them toasting themselves.

Like it got the memo or something.

Got an Up24 a year later and it's only half alive at this point, sun indicator is dead.

First pebble started getting a flakey zebra and got RMA'd, second one just started the same issue ~6 months later.

Long live Apple Watch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I might get one but also not at launch. I actually am waiting to see what is gonna happen with iOS 9 and if I'm staying with the iphone or not (probably am but just want to be sure).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CaptainCrunch posted:

This is me. Get out of my brain.

I'm on my fourth smart watch already and continue to read about Apple Watch despite not having an iPhone.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
One great thing about early adoption of Apple products is that you can resell it when the newer version comes out and recoup 75-85% of your costs! Or buy two watches, keep one sealed in the box, and resell it for 1000% of its price in 2025.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me I have a twentieth anniversary mac in my garage in the original box. Wonder if Gazelle would take it.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'm not sure if they'd take it but I might! How's the condition? Is it complete? I've always wanted one of those.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pzy posted:

I'm not sure if they'd take it but I might! How's the condition? Is it complete? I've always wanted one of those.

The computer is, yeah. I don't think the pen and pencil set or the disk wallet are still there. And last I checked, the speaker cloth was still perfect.

That machine had the best startup sound of any mac ever.

Now I want to fire it up to play with OS9.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Got some pics? I might buy it. For realsies. Assuming nostalgia hasn't bit you in the rear end and you have it set up right now :P

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
You'll have to fight me for it first.

Some douchebag actually tried to pay me to maim a TAM into an iPad stand.

A loving iPad stand.

I did this ages ago: http://www.destruc.tv/minitosh/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll see if I can set it up and get some pics. I don't know if I actually want to sell it because it may be quite the novelty in another 20 years, but you guys have me wanting to play break it out.

edit: That minitosh is cool as hell. There used to be a time when I would extol the virtues of an SE/30 to anyone who would listen. I miss those machines.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
SE/30 will take 128mb as 8x 16mb SIMMs.

I need to juice up my SE/30 one of these days and get it online.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Pics would be awesome either way, but yeah I've been passively wanting to buy one (especially in working condition with boxes and paperwork) to feel like a rich 90s Mac fan. And to relive the glory of OS 9! Maybe I'll start a Hotline server.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

smackfu posted:

I wear my watch on my right hand and I'm right handed. This is odd but practically works fine with normal watches. It seems like it would be really awkward with a smart watch though.
I did not realize that this was considered weird until reading your post. Now I'm questioning everything.

I can't decide which would be more awkward: using the watch with my left hand, or getting used to wearing a watch on my left wrist.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

limekle posted:

I did not realize that this was considered weird until reading your post. Now I'm questioning everything.

I can't decide which would be more awkward: using the watch with my left hand, or getting used to wearing a watch on my left wrist.

Wear it on the hand you don't wipe your rear end with. This is an important signal to send to your watch-wearing brethren.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

limekle posted:

The main reason I've heard is that it can interfere with your writing if you wear it on the dominant hand. Like the strap will drag on the paper.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Another valid reason - when I was a kid my friend told me only girls wear watches on their right wrist

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

pzy posted:

Pics would be awesome either way, but yeah I've been passively wanting to buy one (especially in working condition with boxes and paperwork) to feel like a rich 90s Mac fan. And to relive the glory of OS 9! Maybe I'll start a Hotline server.

OS 9 will run slow on that, and Mac users used Carracho not hotline :colbert:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
How dare you! Hotline is the O.G. file sharing application. I think Carracho and KDX came after, when Hotline was starting to become poo poo adware (coincidentally when they ported it to Windows!)

There's a pretty entertaining story about Hotline and its code being stolen and encrypted and bad business practices and all sorts of fun Aussie drama. I miss it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everything has come full circle. A gizmodo post comparing (sort of) the apple watch to the TAM.

http://gizmodo.com/the-last-time-apple-sold-an-obscenely-overpriced-gadget-1691787901

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

blugu64 posted:

OS 9 will run slow on that, and Mac users used Carracho not hotline :colbert:

FirstClass bitch.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
http://www.macworld.com/article/2897403/choose-wisely-your-all-important-apple-watch-choice.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pzy posted:

How dare you! Hotline is the O.G. file sharing application. I think Carracho and KDX came after, when Hotline was starting to become poo poo adware (coincidentally when they ported it to Windows!)

There's a pretty entertaining story about Hotline and its code being stolen and encrypted and bad business practices and all sorts of fun Aussie drama. I miss it.
Well Hinks was never put back. But that led him to come up with this beauty!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
This wait is kind of ridiculous. Three more weeks to preorder then another two for arrival.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was kind of expecting them to do a "and you can preorder it...RIGHT NOW" type of deal because they probably shouldn't give people a whole month to consider whether or not spending like $700 on a smartwatch is a good idea

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Going with the black aluminum w/ black band, and the classic band. I'm going to preorder immediately then go try it out in store. I imagine initial try-on reservations are going to be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going with the larger sport. I've been using a smart watch for about 6 months now and totally love how useful it is

• Locked thread