Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Zombie Gregor will just be one of those skeleton things from The Children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Beeez posted:

We don't even know for sure that the Mountain will be headless in the show.

Dorne will be outraged when they find out they were given Ian Whyte's head instead.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Whatever happened to the first Mountain's head?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

lifts cats over head posted:

On a pike somewhere in The Hobbit.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

It'll be interesting to see how things go this season. 4 out of the 5 directors are new (although one of them, Jeremy Podeswa, has done a ton of poo poo for other HBO shows). D&D aren't directing any episodes, but are writing seven, with two being written by Cogman (generally pretty good IMO) and one by a guy who they gave an episode to because he suggested that potato boy should kill Ygritte last season.

In It For The Tank posted:

Do you have a source for this? It sounds too good to be true.

If that guy does write an episode, I hope that the entire thing is just as telegraphed as that. I want every piece of foreshadowing to be accompanied by an Arrested Development style musical sting.

Late but here you go: http://variety.com/gallery/photos-showrunners-impact-report/#!13/david-benioff-d-b-weiss/

quote:

“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay at Castle Black and become a Night’s Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’ ‘And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he’s the one who ends up killing Ygritte?’ This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like I'm supposed to be impressed with that last sentence.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Did Dave Hill also say the kid should give a nod to Jon Snow after doing it?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
“We had an assistant named Preston Jacobs,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that Varys guy who gets his balls chopped off with a knife? The one who helps Tyrion escape from King's Landing?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Preston, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’s actually the king of the mermen -or Merlings- and that his ultimate goal is to melt the Wall and flood the rest of Westeros so his fish soldiers (including Cthulhu) can invade Westeros? What else is he going to do?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’ ‘And what if during the flooding of King's Landing, Sweetrobin hacks his head off with Dawn and Varys preincarnates into Euron Greyjoy?’ This year, Preston Jacobs is a writer on the show.”

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ague Proof posted:

“We had an assistant named Preston Jacobs,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that Varys guy who gets his balls chopped off with a knife? The one who helps Tyrion escape from King's Landing?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Preston, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’s actually the king of the mermen -or Merlings- and that his ultimate goal is to melt the Wall and flood the rest of Westeros so his fish soldiers (including Cthulhu) can invade Westeros? What else is he going to do?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’ ‘And what if during the flooding of King's Landing, Sweetrobin hacks his head off with Dawn and Varys preincarnates into Euron Greyjoy?’ This year, Preston Jacobs is a writer on the show.”

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

:D im laugh

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

Is this all real poo poo this guy "theorized"?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

lifts cats over head posted:

Oh fine, I'll post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uagxX6OV6Lg

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Beeez posted:

He does have a weird preoccupation with Sweetrobin someday becoming something more than a sniveling victim.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is that a show that people actually watch? :psyduck:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Ballz posted:

I'm guessing no and they'll drop Robert Strong and just make it clear its Zombie Gregor from the get-go

Its pretty clear in the books too, dude.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I honestly didn't realize that it was in any way ambiguous that Rober Strong = The Mountain until a friend of mine wondered aloud about who Stong was over the weekend.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Beeez posted:

Probably not but he thinks Dany is the daughter of Rhaegar and Lyanna and that Jon Snow is Rhaegar's brother.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

oatgan posted:

Its pretty clear in the books too, dude.

I think he means publicly - officially, Robert Strong is not the Mountain and the Mountain's head is sent to Dorne, even if people suspect something is up. In the show they might just skip that whole thing and claim Gregor survived the poison and is joining the Kingsguard and he's just a freaky zombie who still has his head.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Says somebody who watches Game of Thrones. :ironicat:

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 16, 2015

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

lovely Writing posted:

“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?’ ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay at Castle Black and become a Night’s Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’ ‘And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he’s the one who ends up killing Ygritte?’ This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

That scene was terrible and felt like it was made for network TV. I really, really hope we don't get more of that (we will).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dolash posted:

I think he means publicly - officially, Robert Strong is not the Mountain and the Mountain's head is sent to Dorne, even if people suspect something is up. In the show they might just skip that whole thing and claim Gregor survived the poison and is joining the Kingsguard and he's just a freaky zombie who still has his head.

That's what I mean. They'll drop the "surprise reveal" the same way they totally skipped Arstan Whitebeard.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ballz posted:

That's what I mean. They'll drop the "surprise reveal" the same way they totally skipped Arstan Whitebeard.

It might complicate things. The Dornish need Gregor to be dead (and not a zombie) so they won't rebel.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ballz posted:

Yeah I can see that. Publicly, Gregor just recovered as a result of Qyburn's treatment.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lycus posted:

Yeah I can see that. Publicly, Gregor just recovered as a result of Qyburn's treatment.

But that denies the crown the conciliatory gesture of sending his skull to the Martells; how will the showrunners ever satisfactorily address that plot point :geno:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ballz posted:

I dont think they will. It was impossible to delay the reveal of "Arstan Whitebeard", as the audience knew Barristan and would recognize him instantly.

Robert Strong, if I recall correctly, wore a helmet all the time in the books, making possible to conceal that he is actually Gregor.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Yes and it is glorious

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Elias_Maluco posted:

Robert Strong, if I recall correctly, wore a helmet all the time in the books, making possible to conceal that he is actually Gregor.

"Oh look, it's another almost unfathomably huge guy helping Cersei right after the last unfathomably huge guy helping Cersei was put into the care of her friend, Dr. Frankenstein. Huh. What an astonishing stroke of luck!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ague Proof posted:

It might complicate things. The Dornish need Gregor to be dead (and not a zombie) so they won't rebel.

There's a lot we don't know about what the plot of the Dornish storyline is going to be about in the show, though, so I'm not going to assume that something somewhat important to it in the books is going to be important in the show.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was a pretty bad non-mystery, so I can see skipping it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Steve2911 posted:

Yes, and you should, too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sarcastro posted:

"Oh look, it's another almost unfathomably huge guy helping Cersei right after the last unfathomably huge guy helping Cersei was put into the care of her friend, Dr. Frankenstein. Huh. What an astonishing stroke of luck!"

Yeah, I never said it wanst obvious. Its just that was impossible to conceal that Whitebeard was Barristan in the show, and in this case it is not (but it is kinda pointless really).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I thought Potato Boy did the head-nod after killing some rando, not after killing Ygritte?

EDIT Nuhhhh it really was after killing her. gently caress that is so stupid. His stupid little face even has incredibly excessive fake blood on it like he just ate Styr's parents.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 16, 2015

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Speaking of Arsten Whitebeard, I hope since this season appears to feature the slave fighting pits that we get a casual Strong Belwas reference.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought Potato Boy did the head-nod after killing some rando, not after killing Ygritte?

EDIT Nuhhhh it really was after killing her. gently caress that is so stupid. His stupid little face even has incredibly excessive fake blood on it like he just ate Styr's parents.

You mean his dead mama AND his dead papa??

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

GRRM just updated his blog talking about canceling cons so he can write about the Jets TWOW. No biggie, he's been doing this for the last year or so but his last sentence...

quote:

(Should I complete and deliver WINDS OF WINTER before these cons roll round, I reserve the right to change my mind).

:staredog:

Even if he considers it an outside chance, the fact that he considers it any sort of possibility might actually mean he's kind of close to finishing the damned thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Maybe Pratchett dying freaked him out.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Ballz posted:

GRRM just updated his blog talking about canceling cons so he can write about the Jets TWOW. No biggie, he's been doing this for the last year or so but his last sentence...

:staredog:

Even if he considers it an outside chance, the fact that he considers it any sort of possibility might actually mean he's kind of close to finishing the damned thing.

Words are wind

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Ugh get a loving shadow writer already!

If it does come out, I hope it's not a cheese description fest and two pages of battle.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
So it's still not out?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Ballz posted:

How quickly we forget the afterward to A Feast for Crows. GRRM's optimism means nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
I've been re-watching all of GoT starting at Season 2, in order to brush up for the new season. I just finished watching Joffrey's wedding at the beginning of Season 4, and am I the only one who so thoroughly enjoys watching him die a terrible death? I think he's the most hated character in TV or movie I've ever seen. I also love Cersei having to see it happen in front of her eyes. Only thing that sucks is watching Tyrion go through all of that, then being accused. Do Joffrey's on-screen acts match up to what happens in the books, or did they invent new horrors for him for the screen?

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 17, 2015

• Locked thread