Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
So they're not divorced yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
he really made that shadow run

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Am I the only one who didn't like Curtis during Shadowrun? He reminds me of That Guy in every improv class I've been in who has to make every scene about him and how he's super special and talented

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Well, I'm apparently the only one who likes Erin, so let's form a club.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

drunkencarp posted:

Well, I'm apparently the only one who likes Erin, so let's form a club.

You and everyone on Reddit, apparently. Any dissenting opinions are downvoted into oblivion.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like Erin but she can be annoying. Any of them can be annoying depending on the episode. I generally like all of the regulars.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Erin is usually fine, she just has the least sense of self-control and how to share stage space and let's be honest here, the name of the show is loving "Harmontown" so Dan gets an inordinate pass for his interruptions to the flow of conversation and it only really becomes bad in extreme cases like morality

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I like Erin but I think there's an element of rooting for her just because some episodes you can tell the audience just doesn't like her. And as much as the documentary tried to make me appreciate them, I don't like that group.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Erin plays better in person, when you can see her facial expressions and how excited she always is. So kinda how the video feed works.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I like the crew and I like Harmontown :)
Chris was great though the Shadowrun was a bit crazy if you're interested in the game, but as a show it was hilarious. The show has been on a roll recently, even Goldberg is being quiet (thanks Bee!).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Zsinjeh posted:

I like the crew and I like Harmontown :)
Chris was great though the Shadowrun was a bit crazy if you're interested in the game, but as a show it was hilarious. The show has been on a roll recently, even Goldberg is being quiet (thanks Bee!).

Last night was the only time I've shown up in a month or so. And probably for a while to come -- the crowd was 95% new it seems like, and the show only really started an hour in when they got around to telling stories. Dan is stressed about community, wants to rap and say poop, doesn't get black people.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Thankfully that new crowd was veteran enough to know who to have up for Shadowrun :v:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
They'll never top quaalude girl.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
These audio engineers sure are bad at normalizing audio.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Adam, you exist here and you also created the subreddit, so I feel like you're qualified to answer this. Why is the subreddit such an extreme circle jerk to the extent that anyone who criticizes the show in any way is completely vilified?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

MY ABACUS! posted:

Adam, you exist here and you also created the subreddit, so I feel like you're qualified to answer this. Why is the subreddit such an extreme circle jerk to the extent that anyone who criticizes the show in any way is completely vilified?

They don't bully people, ok?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

Harmontown attracts and celebrates outcasts, misfits and socially awkward nerds. This isn't a bad thing, it's part of the charm, but it also means the subreddit is going to be filled with outcasts, misfits and socially akward people who dislike change and people talking ill of them or their hobbies/interests.

Add that to the fact that subreddits generally go to poo poo the larger they get in a linear fashion. Throw in a potent mix of the dumb, dumb, voting system and you got yourself a hivemind.

edit: basically just imagine a website filled with irish joes

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Zsinjeh posted:

Harmontown attracts and celebrates outcasts, misfits and socially awkward nerds. This isn't a bad thing,

Throw in a potent mix of the dumb, dumb, voting system and you got yourself a hivemind.

A hivemind hostile to any criticism or differing opinion is a bad thing, and, ironically, goes against the "inclusiveness" to show claims to celebrate.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
What you're talking about is a rat king.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
That's why we can't have nice things.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Erin was so awkward interviewing Curtis Armstrong that it eventually became hilarious.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

MY ABACUS! posted:

Same reason it was back in Episode 76, Earthshine. (Please note that I'm very careful not to APOLOGIZE for banning Levi, and that my story of 'protecting him from obsession' was one of the better answers I thought I could get away with).

The people who dislike the show are generally told not to listen, and the only other critique is people posting ERIN SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE I STARTED (since that's half of reddit anyway).

The show's been going on for years and years, it's changed nights (so anyone who was free Mondays and isn't free Sundays stopped going), and it represents a coherent worldview. If you listen to Dan talk about politics (in a way that's mostly articulate wrong, sometimes transcendent, and sometimes 'Get off my lawn, I'm bored of myself') for 276 hours, you're gonna start hugboxing.

There aren't other outlets for people who were screwups, still say they're screwups, and made it in Hollywood. So the idea that anything is less than ideal is critiquing not Dan Harmon, or his wife, but the very conceit of Nerds Succeeding.

(Except those dreaded other audience members , who are inarticulate mealy-mouthed fuckups who wouldn't say what I, a reddit genius, would say! If you want a comparison on what it's actually like to be on stage, consider Earthshine (the episode where I come off the best and actually get Dan to pause talking) to almost any other appearance (where a word in edgewise is hard to come by).

It could be a savior complex, though. Everyone thinks they could somehow convince DH to stop drinking, shower often and write Community in under 80 hours a week.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 10, 2015

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Thanks for that, Adam. Just like Community, once one gets past your navel-gazing aspects, there's plenty of value to be had. You're much better at writing than shouting improvised one-liners at the talent, if you happen to be taking life advice.

And shame on anyone comparing Adam to Irish Joe - at least Adam brings substance, grating as it is. Irish Joe is actually the first troll supercomputer, designed by IBM to pass the Turing test, but only if the human subjects are nerds who find it conceivable for a real human being to voluntarily waste their life by constantly making GBS threads on the shows they obviously care about and the people who make them.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I've really had to rethink everything I know about myself, because the few Irish Joe posts i've seen around the place havnt been all that bad, I've even agreed with him on some things, but his reputation is so, so bad.

As for the show, it amazes me that people will have the hosts explicitly tell them to stop shouting, that no-one cares, that they're making a joke out of themselves and still continue to do it. How desperate for attention do you have to be if you think that being nothing but the butt of a joke is better than simply enjoying the show like everybody else there? If we wanted to hear you we'd subscribe to your podcast and if Dan wants to hear from you he'll ask. It seems to have become a real thing now, it's not just Adam it's a whole host of people.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

It seems to have become a real thing now, it's not just Adam it's a whole host of people.

It seems like the last few real times someone in the audience is being a real rear end in a top hat, they've been really, really drunk.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Plenty of drunk people are able to attend events without desperately clawing at the stage for scraps of attention. I think they're generally selfish, self-obsessed bad people first, drunks second, but who knows.

Anyway, if this Community thing doesn't work out i'd be willing to Kickstart Dan's debut album. It wouldn't be too much work, just collate the best verses from the show, have Yeezy and Killer Mike come in for some guest spots, Gambino to produce. I can see it now, crowds of people waving lighters to the 9/11 song.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

Plenty of drunk people are able to attend events without desperately clawing at the stage for scraps of attention. I think they're generally selfish, self-obsessed bad people first, drunks second, but who knows.

Oh yeah, they're pricks for sure. Some comedy places will throw people out quickly if they get disruptive, but I think that would go against the Harmontown ethos.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Anyone listen to Erin's new podcast? I made it about halfway through and was completely bored.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

Anyone listen to Erin's new podcast? I made it about halfway through and was completely bored.

Is it This Feels Terrible? I like Erin a lot, but I'd rather eat my own poo poo than listen to people whine about past relationships.

edit: nope, nevermind

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 13, 2015

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

DangerDummy! posted:

Is it This Feels Terrible? I like Erin a lot, but I'd rather eat my own poo poo than listen to people whine about past relationships.

edit: nope, nevermind

Human Conversation with Erin McGathy and Wayne Federman

http://www.feralaudio.com/1-human-conversation/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It didn't show up in the RSS feed, but here's episode 139, "Live from SXSW '15":

Video - http://download.harmontown.com/video/harmontown-2015-03-14-final2.mp4
Audio - http://download.harmontown.com/video/harmontown-2015-03-14-audio.mp3

(I wonder if they put up those audio links every time, when the video links go up.)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Harmon is also on this week's Gilbert Gottfried podcast. Its a great listen if only to hear how uncomfortable he sounds when Gilbert steers the conversation away from gasbag Harmon's idiotic pontificating to anal penetration and blow-up dolls.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I didn't know you worked at The Verge Joe
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/16/8225401/community-dan-harmon-yahoo-sxsw

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is the verge part of Vice?

quote:

, the live episode of Harmontown turns out to be terrible. Harmontown is one of those shambolic, off-the-top-of-our-heads type of celebrity-man podcasts
Should be man-child, but what the hell else is this supposed to be? This feels wierd, like harmontown accidently went out into the light and someone is saying it should be more like bing bong theurem perhaps.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
That article read like a cartoon of a critic.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

He's upset that RPG apparently takes paperwork and it's not at all like a scripted tv-show :what:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Irish Joe posted:

gasbag Harmon's idiotic pontificating

Pot, this is Kettle. You'll get along great, you're both black.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Pretty lame episode to be fair and that loving 9/11 song. The Erin/Dan stuff got quite excruciating this time. Anyway, they don't seem to work away from Nerd Melt anymore. Or at least SxSW looks like a piece of poo poo thing. Surely the ROI in marketing at these kinds of events is terrible. However, watching Chris McKenna giggling at Harmon rap was pretty great.

And gently caress services that are "new apps" because they just happen to support a mobile platform and social media. Christ these people have no imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Maybe it's worth it for anyone reading that article to also read through the comments section. It's a bit fanatical (as to be expected) but good points are made about the critic's misunderstandings of the attending audience and that Harmontown actually wasn't sponsored by Yahoo! to promote Community, it was just a bonus to Harmontown fans. Also Spencer says some stuff about it.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 17, 2015