Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

SlimGoodbody posted:

THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S THE FREEWAY. You don't say "take freeway," you say "take the freeway," as in "take the 5 freeway to the 405 freeway."

edit: I said freeway too many times. Freeway!!
"Take highway 101 to San Francisco." Bam. No "the".

Fake edit: Also, speaking as a Massachusetts transplant, they're all just highways you idiots. Stop saying freeway. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Fake edit: Also, speaking as a Massachusetts transplant, they're all just highways you idiots. Stop saying freeway. :colbert:

There is a technical difference between a highway and a freeway.

It is correct that all freeways are highways, but not all highways are freeways. Look it up.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

enraged_camel posted:

Seriously, the situation in the valley is so awful that a lot of techies are starting to flock to smaller but saner tech hubs. Austin is the fastest growing city in the US right now. Seattle has Microsoft and Amazon, and on the East Coast you have New York and Cambridge, Boston. At the same time, remote work in the software field is fairly common and it's gaining more widespread adoption, which gives people even more choices. There are a growing number of software developers who live in flyover states and enjoy stellar standards of living.

There was a recent article passed around for women in tech that suggests the Bay Area is basically a bad deal

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-business/wp/2015/02/25/what-gender-wage-gap-d-c-is-the-best-city-for-women-in-technology/

And yes, the bay area is becoming less attractive, but it's still very much a place to build a serious career in the industry. Seattle is still very much a microsoft town, and way smaller compared to the Bay Area in terms of opportunity. I've heard pretty grim things about Amazon as an employer, and they seem to have an incestuous hiring relationship with MS. "Oh, you were laid of at MS, come work at Amazon" Leading to a sort of bitter nerd office culture. (At least so I hear, I have no idea if that's actually true.) I'm not saying the bay area is the only place to get a job, but it's still, for now, a really good place to build your career...

There's still a big problem with telecommuting jobs. Remember when Yahoo decided to lay off all their telecommuting jobs all at once? Mothers, Pregnant Women, etc.. you suddenly have a lot less job security when you telecommute. Don't get me wrong, it'd be amazing to live in, like, Iowa, and own a 4 bedroom house for like 100k, with a mortgage of like $1000 a month.

Other places are really eager to spin up their own tech industries, . Here, have this hilarious list...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_with_%22Silicon%22_names

Yeah, you can get out of California, and go 'ruin the culture' of some more affordable US City. Or build a ton of housing in Marin, just to see wealthy hippies absolutely lose their minds.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wow, what's with #3 on that list? A lot of the old industrial parks I drive by around Warren and Fremont are still nearly empty on weekdays.

Yeah for what it's worth I'm rather suspect about the list. It's basically more a testament to how messed up SF Housing prices are, and how rough it still is for women in the Tech Industry. If you're a strawman arrogant young brogrammer dude, you don't mind shelling out 3k a month in rent in a shady neighborhood, cuz like...you're saving the world by working 70 hour work weeks. Woo!

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 16, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Wow, what's with #3 on that list? A lot of the old industrial parks I drive by around Warren and Fremont are still nearly empty on weekdays.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

I was just in the Arts District of LA over the weekend, "artist lofts" for 2500/mo and literally adjacent to Skin Row.

Leases in downtown are essentially priced for gentrification/neighborhood renewal that is probably ten years out. I can really appreciate the advantages living downtown (potentially having the least-lovely commute to anywhere in Los Angeles would be nice) but those are not the prices for a neighborhood where people would not feel safe at night.

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 16, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"The" is one less syllable than "highway". Therefore, "The" is the more efficient and preferred nomenclature.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

kaynorr posted:

Leases in downtown are essentially priced for gentrification/neighborhood renewal that is probably ten years out. I can really appreciate the advantages living downtown (potentially having the least-lovely commute to anywhere in Los Angeles would be nice) but those are not the prices for a neighborhood where people would not feel safe at night.

Yeah well it's full on gentrified, all white and they had an umami burger.

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 16, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

kaynorr posted:

lol, what a dump.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

My last employer used a shady contract manufacturer in Fremont. I visited a.couple times and it was full of 18-24 year old Chinese women working on electronics assembly in an environment that said more "shirt waist" company rather than silicon valley.

But hey, women and tech. Count it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The former NUMMI factory, now a Tesla factory, is in Fremont.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah well it's full on gentrified, all white and they had an umami burger.

Correction: white and Asian, mostly. There's a huge set of apartment blocks adjacent to Little Tokyo that seemed largely comprised of young, professional, Asian Americans.

Koreatown was a fun place to live, though. Rent wasn't quite as ridiculous, and the food/drink scene was outstanding.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SlimGoodbody posted:

Correction: white and Asian, mostly. There's a huge set of apartment blocks adjacent to Little Tokyo that seemed largely comprised of young, professional, Asian Americans.

Koreatown was a fun place to live, though. Rent wasn't quite as ridiculous, and the food/drink scene was outstanding.

Speaking of, here's a map of rental prices at future LA metro stops

http://laist.com/2015/03/13/rent_along_future_metro_lines.php

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Re: landlord chat

Last year in Santa Cruz, there was a perfect storm of a housing crisis. The university offered less housing than usual while accepting an unusually large class, meaning that a lot more people than usual were looking for housing off-campus. Simultaneously, the city started doing housing inspections, and kicked a bunch of people out of homes that were "unfit to live in" (whether they were actually unfit to live in depends on who you ask). This means that there were a lot fewer places to live off campus. Predictably, the landlords took advantage of the higher demand and lower supply and jacked prices way up, where they have stayed since.

IMO landlords are scum, and are pretty much the perfect example of rich people leeching money off of poor people for deigning to want a place to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Was reading an article about Houston in the Economist and saw this:

quote:

Last year authorities in the Houston metropolitan area, with a population of 6.2m, issued permits to build 64,000 homes. The entire state of California, with a population of 39m, issued just 83,000.
:(

That is not very many homes, guys.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

That's because its out of context:

quote:

Census state-level building permit data help show where building is taking place. Building permits are issued by local building departments prior to construction and are a useful proxy of construction activity. Texas led the nation in total home building (multifamily and single-family) with more than 380,000 permitted units over the 2011-2013 period. Florida (almost 194,000) and California (just under 185,000) were second and third – but of course, larger states should have larger absolute totals.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/economic-intelligence/2014/08/05/which-states-are-building-the-most-homes-and-why

Also, Houston's lack of zoning making getting new building permits a breeze.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Cicero posted:

About those homes that are coming, they aren't being built anywhere you want to be, and are far far away from any mass transit, and lack water.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

VikingofRock posted:

Re: landlord chat

Last year in Santa Cruz, there was a perfect storm of a housing crisis. The university offered less housing than usual while accepting an unusually large class, meaning that a lot more people than usual were looking for housing off-campus. Simultaneously, the city started doing housing inspections, and kicked a bunch of people out of homes that were "unfit to live in" (whether they were actually unfit to live in depends on who you ask). This means that there were a lot fewer places to live off campus. Predictably, the landlords took advantage of the higher demand and lower supply and jacked prices way up, where they have stayed since.

IMO landlords are scum, and are pretty much the perfect example of rich people leeching money off of poor people for deigning to want a place to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Rumor has it that the university is the one that put the pressure down on the city to crack down on the inlaw units and such.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The former NUMMI factory, now a Tesla factory, is in Fremont.

Ah, that's right.

I remember reading the news comments section about the NUMMI factory's closing back in 2010 and got this gem:

quote:

They're all black, Latino and Filipino! Maybe some white women! Where are the white MEN?? We built this country and now we have to take a backseat to other races...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember reading the news comments section about the NUMMI factory's closing back in 2010 and got this gem:
Eurrrghgh.

On the bright side, the Tesla plant now employs as many people as the NUMMI plant did before the crash, and it's growing as quickly as it can.

Elon Musk :unsmith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

lol, what a dump.

the price premium is worth it since it includes being able to experience The Purge movies every night

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Trabisnikof posted:

That's because its out of context:

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/economic-intelligence/2014/08/05/which-states-are-building-the-most-homes-and-why

Also, Houston's lack of zoning making getting new building permits a breeze.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

About those homes that are coming, they aren't being built anywhere you want to be, and are far far away from any mass transit, and lack water.
I don't really care about Houston (I don't want their ridiculously sprawling cities), but I was just struck by how few homes that is for California. If the on average you have 2 people to a home, that's an increase in the number of homes of 0.43%. Even if you assume each home houses 4 people on average, that's still only a 0.85% increase, which seems absurdly low for state where the cost of housing is so high.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I don't take stock in those "best places for business" articles, but Bloomberg just put us at #1 in that category.

quote:

There are plenty of reasons to presume that California must be a bad place to do business. The Tax Foundation says the state's tax structure is the third worst for business in the U.S. Forbes ranks California's business costs fifth highest among the 50 states and its regulatory environment the eighth most burdensome.

Why then does the market, where buyers and sellers determine relative value, show otherwise? California-based companies surpass their competitors in the U.S. by most measures of performance favored by investors.

Since January 2011, when Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown Jr., became governor for the third time, the 63 publicly traded California companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 produced the best total return among the five states with the largest populations. California companies in the S&P 500 delivered returns of 134 percent; the closest big-state challenger was Florida, whose S&P companies had an 82 percent return, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Texas-based companies delivered 52 percent during the period.

Companies domiciled in California also outperformed the S&P 500 during the past four years by a margin of 23 percent. Among the California industries making the state No. 1 in business are health care, returning 267 percent, consumer staples (302 percent), specialty pharma (235 percent), energy (30 percent) and biotech (333 percent).

Maybe high taxes and strong regulations don't daunt business leaders if well spent and well aimed. Places that prepare for big 21st-century challenges such as urbanization, climate change and globalization are likely to be the most successful. California companies lead the U.S. in confronting these risks with superior results for shareholders and bondholders. The corporate performance coincides with growing confidence in the state under Governor Brown, now in his fourth term. That's shown by the biggest four-year drop in the cost of state credit default swaps, a kind of insurance against bondholders' losses and a way to speculate on creditworthiness.

The revenue from technology companies may be the most revealing measure of how successfully California business deals with disruption. As of this month, the trailing 12-month revenue of technology companies in the state was $715 billion, or 52 percent of technology company sales in the U.S. New York was No. 2 with 11 percent, followed by Washington's 7 percent, Massachusetts' 4 percent and Virginia's 3 percent.

Among the 122 U.S. companies in the Bloomberg Americas Clean Technology Index, 26 are based in California. These publicly traded companies spent an average of $118 million, or 25 percent of their sales, in research and development. That was the most in U.S. industry last year, when 9.4 percent was the average. California's greater commitment to clean technology is resulting in more jobs, with a median rate of employee growth in clean tech jobs during the past 2 years of 7.5 percent compared with 2.3 percent for similar U.S. companies. Analysts also forecast a 70 percent gain for the California clean tech companies in the next 12 months, compared with 33 percent for the industry. The lead in innovation makes analysts more bullish on companies domiciled in California, as reflected in their average 12 month forecast of 24 percent return potential compared with 19 percent for the Russell 3000.

The exceptional performance of California companies helps explain why (with no official gross domestic product data available yet) the state would have the world's seventh largest economy if it were a country, bigger than Brazil's, which saw its GDP decline in 2014. Here's the rough calculation: Companies based in California grew 4.7 percent during the first three quarters of last year. Using 4.7 percent as a proxy for the growth of the market capitalization of California, the total market cap of the state grew to $2.3 trillion from $2.2 trillion in 2013. (Brazil’s GDP declined 1 percent from $2.25 trillion in the first three quarters of 2014 as its exports of raw materials fell.) As of March 10, 33 California companies are included in the 500 largest companies in the world. At the end of 2009, when the U.S. was recovering from the worst recession since the Great Depression, there were only 24 California companies in the Global 500, according to Bloomberg data.

As unemployment declined to 7 percent in December from a peak of 12.4 percent in 2011, California's growth was substantial enough that during the 24-month period ended Sept. 30, 2014, the jobless rate fell the most of any state. This helps explain why California remains the No. 1 state for manufacturing, producing $239 billion, or 12 percent of all manufacturing in the U.S., according to Bloomberg data. Texas is No. 2 with $233 billion.

If taxes are really the bane of California existence, why aren’t they preventing rich people from making the state their primary residence? Some 123 of the world's wealthiest 400 people live in the U.S., and 28 of them, or 23 percent, are California residents, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. New York is No. 2 with 22 billionaires, or 18 percent, according to the Bloomberg Billionaire’s Index.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

I don't really care about Houston (I don't want their ridiculously sprawling cities), but I was just struck by how few homes that is for California. If the on average you have 2 people to a home, that's an increase in the number of homes of 0.43%. Even if you assume each home houses 4 people on average, that's still only a 0.85% increase, which seems absurdly low for state where the cost of housing is so high.

But by your logic New York must be far worse off seeing how it's got both a high population and even fewer home permits than California.

Also these are new home permits including multi-family and I doubt each unit gets a permit. So this is more of a statement on Texas suburban sprawl.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I don't take stock in those "best places for business" articles, but Bloomberg just put us at #1 in that category.

California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see. But believe me or not, you don't find it so hot if you ain't got the dough-ray-mi!

:10bux:

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 17, 2015

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

jeeves posted:

Rumor has it that the university is the one that put the pressure down on the city to crack down on the inlaw units and such.

Interesting. Was the idea to increase the standard of living for the students? Because if so boy howdy did that backfire.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

In other news, San Francisco landlord finds and exploits legal loophole to raise tenant's rent from $2,145 to $8,900:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153190864139878

Here's her explanation:

Here's the letter she got:

The landlord may not have gotten the necessary permits to remove the first apartment:

quote:

Update: Jeremy Pollock, a legislative aide for supervisor John Avalos, sent The Bold Italic the following email: “It seems pretty clear to me that if the landlord did remove the downstairs apartment, they didn’t get a permit for it, which makes it an illegal merger. There’s no record of any merger permits in Planning’s system. We’ve asked Planning Department staff to look into this.”

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Zeitgueist posted:

Speaking of, here's a map of rental prices at future LA metro stops

http://laist.com/2015/03/13/rent_along_future_metro_lines.php

Well poo poo Crenshaw is pretty affordable. :whatup:

VikingofRock posted:

Last year in Santa Cruz, there was a perfect storm of a housing crisis.

... IMO landlords are scum, and are pretty much the perfect example of rich people leeching money off of poor people for deigning to want a place to live.
SC is exceptionally bad for this. lovely SF dropouts come down there to "buy a house" and by "buy" they mean put up fake walls all over every room to turn a 4 BR house into a 15 unit set of "rooms" for rent so other people buy their house for them. (A closet is a "room" if you can fit a small person in it right? Backyards count as "half baths" right?)

SC was beautiful but had some of the worst living situations I had seen. I assume its only gotten worse.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

FRINGE posted:

Not for long, people are already buying houses and tearing them down to build McMansions.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The best part is they've been writing the same articles for 20 years at least (probably longer). The Bay Area is hugely friendly for business/industry, especially in competitive industries, actually has some very competitive laws (the non-compete stuff in particular), a massive skilled labor pool, and is hugely friendly to immigrants (in that lots of the major cities and suburbs are close to majority immigrant). Our mass transit isn't amazing, but exists, and the weather is phenomenal. Focusing on taxes is silly, because it assumes that somehow all other things are equal - they aren't. Move away from where the innovation is happening where people are off creating new companies and you aren't going to do very well, so the tax rate ceases to be all that important.

Industries rife with collusion or outright monopolies, that still somehow need to employ Americans, are the ones who are happy to move to some shithole state (and get big tax breaks) where employee quality doesn't matter and employees don't have many other choices. The business may move, but the quality employees have plenty of choice and generally won't be dumb enough to move to states with less protections (and happen to be run by extremist conservatives).

The spot Silicon Valley currently occupies could move or change, but it would have to be to a place that has:
- A vast, deep skilled labor pool (ie, lots of top/mid-level colleges) on par with the Bay Area
- Favorable business/IP/labor laws (need to be able to have people leave a company and start up their own without getting nailed by non-competes)
- Immigrant friendly (no insane Christian bullshit, considering the amount of Chinese/Indian workers)
- Access to vast amounts of capitol, willing to be spend on very risky (but high reward) ventures.
(The weather is also a big plus I imagine)

Alternatively we could gently caress up one of the above. I expect the industry to cool before the area really prices itself out completely, but there isn't a metropolitan area in the US that could really fill in. Boston and Seattle are definitely hubs though.

Space-Bird posted:

And yes, the bay area is becoming less attractive, but it's still very much a place to build a serious career in the industry. Seattle is still very much a microsoft town, and way smaller compared to the Bay Area in terms of opportunity. I've heard pretty grim things about Amazon as an employer, and they seem to have an incestuous hiring relationship with MS. "Oh, you were laid of at MS, come work at Amazon" Leading to a sort of bitter nerd office culture. (At least so I hear, I have no idea if that's actually true.) I'm not saying the bay area is the only place to get a job, but it's still, for now, a really good place to build your career...

A lot of folks I knew who were at MS are now at Amazon, so there's some truth to it. I do know some really good people there, but a lot of them work in Sunnyvale and not Seattle. Amazon does have a lot of unique jobs in Seattle because of how prevalent AWS is. Seattle has a lot of issues though, but hey, no income tax!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

FRINGE posted:

SC is exceptionally bad for this. lovely SF dropouts come down there to "buy a house" and by "buy" they mean put up fake walls all over every room to turn a 4 BR house into a 15 unit set of "rooms" for rent so other people buy their house for them. (A closet is a "room" if you can fit a small person in it right? Backyards count as "half baths" right?)

SC was beautiful but had some of the worst living situations I had seen. I assume its only gotten worse.

I used to rent in SC and I can't believe people were even allowed to live in some of the shitholes that I stayed in. Santa Cruz is like the perfect storm for slum lords because of the fact that it is a tourist spot plus the UC kids plus the fact that it is in a relatively isolated, compact location which limits the sprawl and new developments.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Well this was an interesting (terrifying) op-ed on the water situation in the state.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
More opinions on water:

Here Are the Water Restrictions California Should Have Passed Today
http://gizmodo.com/here-are-the-water-restrictions-california-should-have-1692031986

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FRINGE posted:

More opinions on water:

Here Are the Water Restrictions California Should Have Passed Today
http://gizmodo.com/here-are-the-water-restrictions-california-should-have-1692031986

Hey, look, a bunch of feel good measures that don't deal with ag!
Lets continue with gravity irrigation as is, but you can't wash the bird poo poo off your car! (Commercial car washes recycle a huge portion of water, pay retail for water, and don't actually use as much water as people think).

quote:

Who is promoting dietary alternatives to meat and almonds and all the other resource-sucking foods which are parching the Central Valley?
Yes, the problem is that people eat meat and almonds. Seriously, most of our almonds are consumed out of state, are we going to do a "don't eat California almonds" campaign in China?
The problem is that the farmers who own these properties don't have enough incentive to save water. Drip irrigation is really expensive and ag water is really cheap, even when it is "expensive."

nm fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 18, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

nm posted:

Ag is obviously a problem, but if you can get spoiled people in OC to internalize the idea that grass lawns and daily carwashes are "wasting water" then you have a more receptive public to the entire issue of water.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

FRINGE posted:

Ag is obviously a problem, but if you can get spoiled people in OC to internalize the idea that grass lawns and daily carwashes are "wasting water" then you have a more receptive public to the entire issue of water.

Ag is the problem, what you are talking about is akin to people bitching about Al Gore for his energy use.
What you are talking about is an issue that needs addressed, it is not the problem.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nm posted:

Lets continue with gravity irrigation as is, but you can't wash the bird poo poo off your car! (Commercial car washes recycle a huge portion of water, pay retail for water, and don't actually use as much water as people think).

Yes, the problem is that people eat meat and almonds. Seriously, most of our almonds are consumed out of state, are we going to do a "don't eat California almonds" campaign in China?
The problem is that the farmers who own these properties don't have enough incentive to save water. Drip irrigation is really expensive and ag water is really cheap, even when it is "expensive."

I did think it was funny a couple days ago when KQED Forum did an hour on the drought. The first thing they mention is that ag uses 2/3 of the water in the state, then they spent literally the entire rest of the hour talking about measures to reduce residential water use.

Also my neighbor was washing his car in the driveway today. :bang:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Papercut posted:

Also my neighbor was washing his car in the driveway today. :bang:

You're generally allowed to do that 1 day per week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I don't wash my car very often but when I do, I'm way more efficient than a drive-through car wash is, in terms of water use.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I don't wash my car very often but when I do, I'm way more efficient than a drive-through car wash is, in terms of water use.

You aren't because they recycle water, but the bucket method isn't bad as long as you shut off the hose when not needed. That is where the real waste is.
Some people park on thier lawns when they do it, which I guess if you use it instead of sprinklers that day is pretty decent.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
No talk about our Dear UC President?

‘We Don’t Have To Listen To This Crap’ when the UC Regents meeting got crashed by student protesters.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-tuition-hikes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

No talk about our Dear UC President?

‘We Don’t Have To Listen To This Crap’ when the UC Regents meeting got crashed by student protesters.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-tuition-hikes/

Read some of the top comments for your daily dose of :psyduck: