Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Ad Astra Games Kickstarter is proceeding apace. We're over 50% of the base funding goal already. A new tier has been added, $90 for PDFs+a boxed game. There is also more swag news:

I don't get the challenge coin thing, but I can tell a good one when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah same. I don't care much for the dark elves, but I'm hoping the Sisters of Battle-alikes will be nice.

All but 1 of the preview models was very stripper pose like the majority of the line if that is your thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LordAba posted:

All but 1 of the preview models was very stripper pose like the majority of the line if that is your thing.

Yeah I was slightly excited at the prospect of new SoB models but then the ones they previewed made me lose that enthusiasm.

Does anyone know anything about this one?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/314069658/grimslingers-a-card-dueling-game/posts

It looks interesting and the art is cool. It's also not an expensive buy in if it all goes to hell.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I'll probably get the not-cheesecake ones for Sisters of Sigmar but goddamn: this is possibly the worst time to release the armies they're releasing. I can't say for Dark Eldar, but Sisters of Battle barely have a codex, and Warhammer Fantasy is imploding. And if you didn't already have a Dark Elf army, you could get one from any of the rats fleeing the ship concerned players dumping their forces on eBay and Craigslist right now. And if you do have a Dark Elf army, the last thing you're looking for is a way to invest more money into it.

I'm in for the Fantasy Sisters as well - I'm hoping they make good proxies for Mordheim. What's the deal with WFB? I thought the End Times stuff was like gangbusters?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It...seems the Arcanum 30th Anniversary guy has had something of top-blowing over some refunds while the actual project seemingly just continues far, far slower than anticipated? Don't recall any other instances quite so...publicly vivid.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159628170/the-arcanum-30th-anniversary-edition/posts

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Someone here with access to those backer-locked updates HAS to explain this one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

berzerkmonkey posted:

What's the deal with WFB? I thought the End Times stuff was like gangbusters?

Some rumours came out a few weeks ago make 9th look really bad. Since then, a lot of them have been confirmed. WD photos have shown fantasy units on round bases, armies have been killed off or removed in the fluff, and a recent photo seems to confirm that End Times concludes with Chaos shattering the Warhammer world into balls of reality.

GW has been making matters worse (of course) by refusing to confirm or deny anything. I know my LGS has stopped restocking fantasy until the dust settles, and people are dumping armies.

The GW death countdown thread has a lot more about it.

e: Most of the 9e rumors had a shared source, which included round bases. When the round based warmachines were spotted in an official studio photo, it gave a lot of credibility to the other (far more dire) predictions.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 13, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Some rumours came out a few weeks ago make 9th look really bad. Since then, a lot of them have been confirmed. WD photos have shown fantasy units on round bases, armies have been killed off or removed in the fluff, and a recent photo seems to confirm that End Times concludes with Chaos shattering the Warhammer world into balls of reality.

GW has been making matters worse (of course) by refusing to confirm or deny anything. I know my LGS has stopped restocking fantasy until the dust settles, and people are dumping armies.

The GW death countdown thread has a lot more about it.

Gotcha - I've only just started reading the WFB Khaine fluff and the second novel in the series, so I'm a bit far behind. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait, some people saw photos of a war machine on an oval base and automatically jumped to the conclusion that WFB was moving everything to round bases? Haha, what the hell, you loving nitwits... Even if they did that, it won't negate their old square bases in any way.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 13, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Gotcha - I've only just started reading the WFB Khaine fluff and the second novel in the series, so I'm a bit far behind. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait, some people saw photos of a war machine on an oval base and automatically jumped to the conclusion that WFB was moving everything to round bases? Haha, what the hell, you loving nitwits... Even if they did that, it won't negate their old square bases in any way.

The warmachines in question are specifically designed to be ranked in units with square models so it was a little weird.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Radish posted:

The warmachines in question are specifically designed to be ranked in units with square models so it was a little weird.

OK, you're right - I forgot about that. But they're still nitwits for freaking out (nothing new there, though.)

To get off my derail, I found this: The Lost Dungeons of Xon. For $1 you get the module, and for $5 you get the module with all stretch goals.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wasn't that round base a serious gaylord photoshop or were there more?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

One was his, the rest were legit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moving to round bases is seen as confirmation of a predicted move to a skirmish game and away from a strategy/tactical maneuvering game. This would reduce the differentiation between fantasy's playstyle and the 40k playstyle. A common theme among Fantasy players is regarding their game (our game, I guess I should say) as being much more refined and less stupid than 40k, so this is seen as bad. Also bad: folks invested hundreds of dollars in blocks of infantry, which presumably wouldn't be of much use in a smaller-scale skirmishy game.

So the round bases are proxies for worry over the direction of the game itself, and not worry over the actual shape of plastic bases.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think Mare Nostrum hits kickstarter this weekend. I think I like the trend of OOP boardgames getting a potential second life on kickstarter

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

John Harper posted a couple KS updates with a few excerpts from the Quickstart rules for Blades in the Dark. One of them is an example of play.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Blades in the Dark quickstart just got posted for backers. This is honestly the first storygame I'm actually interested in playing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Uncharted Worlds has 4 days left and is fully funded, working towards an expansion of the careers and backgrounds to add stuff like psionics and the like. I'm really excited about this one.

My favorite part is how everything is based on the same sort of modular chassis. Sort of a hybrid between Fate's aspects and Apocalypse World's tags and moves. You're not restricted to playbooks like in a lot of Powered by the Apocalypse game, building your own out of careers and backgrounds. It's a really cool take on the whole style of game.

It also has previews of up the character creation, moves, and equipment on the page.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

John Harper has released the Quickstart Rules for Blades in the Dark to backers.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
48 hours left for blood rage. It's picked up a fair number of stretch goal miniatures and if it hits 710,000, which seems likely, it will get an exclusive 6th clan. For $75 seems like a good deal for miniatures and probably a decent game along with it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Does anyone have the scoop on Mantic's Dungeon Saga: the Dwarf King's Quest? Their link on their website gives an error (dwarfkingsquest.com) - I was hoping to do a bit of reading on it since I was interested but missed the campaign.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TastyAvocado posted:

48 hours left for blood rage. It's picked up a fair number of stretch goal miniatures and if it hits 710,000, which seems likely, it will get an exclusive 6th clan. For $75 seems like a good deal for miniatures and probably a decent game along with it.

I'm not sure how I feel about them breaking up the expansions into smaller stretch goals. Like, what, if they don't hit the specified goal certain clans won't get their shaman figures?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about them breaking up the expansions into smaller stretch goals. Like, what, if they don't hit the specified goal certain clans won't get their shaman figures?

That usually means they're sure they'll hit that stretch goal, and they planned to do it anyway. Thus the illusion of progress is created.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mister Sinewave posted:

Does anyone have the scoop on Mantic's Dungeon Saga: the Dwarf King's Quest? Their link on their website gives an error (dwarfkingsquest.com) - I was hoping to do a bit of reading on it since I was interested but missed the campaign.

The alpha for the standard rules is available, what else were you after? Mantic is going to do a website per game, all based on the same template with painting tips, play guides, etra fluff, etc, they've just only done the Dreadball Xtreme site as a test so far.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I guess I was hoping someone here had been following the campaign and could tell me whether it's on track, maybe a release date, or whether it looks like a shitshow so far or not.

I was expecting the game's website (http://dwarfkingsquest.com) to say more than

pre:
This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
That's the link direct from OUR GAMES at Mantic's website. It's been like that for a couple weeks at least. I looked for an email address or something on their contact page to give them a heads up but all I could find was a contact form that's basically all "We probably won't see your message for a long time, we're very busy". Filled it out anyway but :shrug:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The mantic thread might be a better place to ask

But it's on track, they have released a draft of the rules and updates are still coming every so often. No idea what the original target date was or whether they are primed to meet it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
If I remember correctly they were aiming for a release this fall, like September or so, and this far they are on schedule. They sent out alpha rules and the first adventures to all backers, but they also said that they would do some additional rounds of rules testing before moving on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The best place for updates on a Mantic KS is the KS project page itself, they always keep pretty good contact and give updates on there - it's only once the project approaches a retail release that they start talking about it more on their blog and social channels. They should probably fix that dead link though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

GMS has posted a Far West update that isn't "here you go, here's the game." I'm not surprised, the sun rose this morning after all.

Posting here because it's got a new bit of art:

Any idea where bits of this are stolen from? From the look of it, the hat/face/scarf are the same source, the hands/guns are a separate one (easy to tell by the differences in light), and the background's a third. All photos through a lovely Photoshop filter.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Hands and guns are from this:

e: I right-clicked and hit "Search Google for this image", if anyone's curious, and this was the eighth result. Skarka is terrible.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 16, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That was fast. I like how the hands are even bigger, somehow. :ocelot:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What filter is he using? Anybody know?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Somebody posted that art at RPGNet too, so now we're just waiting for the inevitable "goddammit why are people CRITICIZING my WORK that's three years late?!?!" whining and flounce.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He could even just hire a cosplayer for cheap and take his own photos. This is beyond unprofessional.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Somebody posted that art at RPGNet too, so now we're just waiting for the inevitable "goddammit why are people CRITICIZING my WORK that's three years late?!?!" whining and flounce.

That was me, too. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I guess I was hoping someone here had been following the campaign and could tell me whether it's on track, maybe a release date, or whether it looks like a shitshow so far or not.

I've been following along. It seems to be on track. The alpha rules are very raw and will need a fair amount of polishing. I posted comprehensive feedback on their feedback thread. That's a must-read thread before you consider buying, because at this point, the rules are poo poo.

Not that they won't work, mind you. Just that it's a baby game for babies, the main balancing factor is a turn limit for the heroes which, when passed, means the "necromancer" player has won... and to progress in the campaign, the heroes must start over. Yay! Let's run this same scenario over and over until the heroes have enough of the map memorized, and/or are lucky enough, to get to the end in time! Since the heroes progress and advance in power over time (apparently as a function of finding loot? I'm not totally clear on that), scenarios get easier each time and players can literally grind for power if they want. The Necromancer's role is thus more of a placeholder for a computer game's AI: his loss is inevitable eventually, he's just there to face an ever-increasing challenge from the other players. Whereas the players' role is the opposite: their victory is inevitable, they just face an ever-decreasing (but fairly random) challenge from the scenario's design, with perhaps a small amount of additional challenge based on exactly how the Necromancer player deploys and uses his assets.

This is the "basic" rules, though, and we're promised advanced rules. This is also the introductory scenarios, both of which seem to be designed to just... introduce the key game concepts, while not being too complicated. If Mantic can develop much more interesting Advanced rules and scenarios, the game could certainly still be made into something fun.

It's early days Alpha though, so I'm not panicking about my purchase yet. Hell, I won't panic, period, because if the rules suck, I'll just import different rules... I've already got Advanced Heroquest, and I'll be getting the Conan board game, and between those three, I'm sure I can glom together something good.

But yeah, Mantic has a fair amount of work to do to turn this into a game someone over the age of 12 would enjoy playing more than twice.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 16, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for the tips and the link, that's a pretty good starting point for my level of interest in the game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The artwork seems fine and the miniatures will be up to Mantic's usual quality, so It's not a disaster by any means. Just, if you've already missed out on the kickstarter, I don't see much reason to buy in (unless there's a deadline I don't know about) before the full rules are ready and we can find out if they're OK or not.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Got my copy of Night Witches today, looks nice.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

ravenkult posted:

Got my copy of Night Witches today, looks nice.

Very fine book. The cover is weird, though; seems like it's going to show fingerprints even from basic handling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Zurui posted:

Very fine book. The cover is weird, though; seems like it's going to show fingerprints even from basic handling.

Yeah, it picks up the oils of the hand a lot. Kinda like the covers that CreateSpace does.

• Locked thread