Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Duggler posted:

Gus is one of my favorite bad guys ever. The scene where he doesn't say a word and cuts the throat out of that guy whose name I can't remember was one of the best "don't gently caress with me" scenes I've ever seen.
Boxcutter, great episode.

quote:

Hopefully they didn't write Nacho too sane, because Michael Mando can do crazy extremely well
drat shame Vass dies so early in the game because Hoyt is milquetoast compared to Vass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Huh, one of the cops in 501 of Breaking Bad is called "Jacocks," that's the name of the Sex Toilet guy right? I mean it's obviously a different character and implying otherwise would be dumb but just something I noticed.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Ok. So, the assumption is that Gus was working as the cartels meth distributor for years. All the while he was in the background working on his own thing, setting up the super lab, getting a chemist (Gale), and building his own production, and then cutting out the cartel.

Once he had all the pieces in place, he cut out the cartel and then started to sell his own meth. The cartel sent their guy to demand half of his new endeavor. When Gus refuses they just start killing their guys. The cartel needs Gus, so they don't kill him when he comes out to surrender.

I also assumed Gus is also the equivalent of a Soprano's "Made Man", you don't kill them lightly. He is related or tied to nasty S. American secret police, and if someone kills Gus for whatever reason, someone will come and whack you.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

sout posted:

Huh, one of the cops in 501 of Breaking Bad is called "Jacocks," that's the name of the Sex Toilet guy right? I mean it's obviously a different character and implying otherwise would be dumb but just something I noticed.

They talk about this in one of the podcasts too. It was also used on the X-Files.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

The interesting thing is that Walter kind of seemed desperate for Mike's approval. He always tries to get Mike on his side, and in that scene it's played almost as though Walt impulsively shoots Mike because he's mad that Mike is saying he's an idiot who hosed everything up.

I'm still catching up on the podcasts and just today at the gym I listened to 507. Vince/the writers said that when Walt went to bring Mike his bugout bag that he had no plans at that time, it wasn't until he opened it and saw the gun that he started thinking ahead. They also mentioned it was Mike yelling at him that pushed him over the edge, comparing him unfavorably to Gus and especially the line 'if only you had known your place'. That's what flipped him on to full Heizenburg, if only for a moment, and resulting in him shooting Mike. Also that bloody handprint on the boulder was added in digitally since the cameras didn't really pick up much of the blood they dumped on the ground.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They spent a few episodes building to it but yeah, when I watched it both the first time and recently it was apparent that Walt killed Mike only because he was pissed off. It's a moment in the series where Walt finally does something that even he cannot justify with any rational argument.

Also this was a discussion from a few pages ago but in Felina I thought it was very obvious that Walt was under the impression Jesse had partnered up with the Nazis to keep them from killing him off. I don't know how Walt could have known Jesse was in captivity beforehand.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Duggler posted:

Hopefully they didn't write Nacho too sane, because Michael Mando can do crazy extremely well

The great thing about Nacho is that they're using Michael Mando differently than in Far Cry 3. Vaas is clearly crazy, and he calms himself just down long enough to explain himself to people, and still freaks out and gets violent. Nacho is a calculating criminal, and he knows when to be loud and frightening to intimidate people, but he's not crazy.

For anyone who hasn't played Far Cry 3, this is Michael Mando's defining moment in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n_1zsCVBxw

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really loved that scene. Walt does his normal dissembling but he's talking to himself as much as Mike when he's trying to figure out why he did what he did. Mike tells him to shut the gently caress up, and, in that silence, Walt realizes he can't even justify this to himself. He's just totally hosed. It really reminds me of me when I'm totally caught doing something totally stupid and I just can't talk my way out of it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One thing I noticed is that Walter's an excellent meth producer but a terrible business partner. Fring held on to his empire for twenty years while Walt managed to have every business relationship burn to the ground in a year and a half. He tries selling to Tuco, it blows up in his face. He enters a contract with Fring, he quickly becomes a liability. He convinces Mike into a partnership, he kills Mike over some petty bullshit. He gets Nazis to do his dirty work, said Nazis take his millions and kill his brother-in-law. Walt may have become a bigger criminal over time but he was always out of his element.

Here's a thought: if Walt never tried selling to Fring then there would have been no party to call off the Cartel from killing Walt over Tuco's death.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm still catching up on the podcasts and just today at the gym I listened to 507. Vince/the writers said that when Walt went to bring Mike his bugout bag that he had no plans at that time, it wasn't until he opened it and saw the gun that he started thinking ahead. They also mentioned it was Mike yelling at him that pushed him over the edge, comparing him unfavorably to Gus and especially the line 'if only you had known your place'. That's what flipped him on to full Heizenburg, if only for a moment, and resulting in him shooting Mike. Also that bloody handprint on the boulder was added in digitally since the cameras didn't really pick up much of the blood they dumped on the ground.

I oughta listen to the Breaking Bad ones. I listen to other podcasts, though, so it's tough to fit all those episodes in. But yeah, what I mean is it's interesting how easily Mike can get under Walter's skin. As much of an egomaniac as he was, I don't think Walter would've reacted quite that violently to just anybody saying what Mike said.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aaaa holy poo poo, Jimmy will be MC'ing a bingo game in the same outfit from the "There She Is" thing from Tim & Eric" :v:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Wow gently caress AMC for showing a preview of the episode am literally about to watch

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The awkward silence

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Who wears a double breasted suit?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good Cop/Bad Cop isn't always this transparent in real life, is it?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Good Cop/Bad Cop isn't always this transparent in real life, is it?

I think that was legit, the older guy knew how things really worked and was on Mike's side.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, Chuck's learning to live outside?! :staredog:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Chuck's looking good :unsmith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chuck's gonna die before he gets to go back to work, isn't he? :smithicide:

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Wonder if Jimmy figures that Chuck will do that work for him if he leaves the paperwork in Chuck's house.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No loving way Jimmy can afford this kind of upgrade doing elder law.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Poor Jimmy :(

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Getting shut down sucks :smith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Winkie01 posted:

Getting shut down sucks :smith:

She didn't say no, she just changed the subject!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is going to end poorly for Jimmy :(

And Saul rises from the ashes

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DOOP posted:

This is going to end poorly for Jimmy :(

And Saul rises from the ashes

Saul does have multiple ex-wives...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha jimmy's "please don't say Hamlin, Hamlin, and McGill" plea to mike.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna be disappointed in Jimmy if he overreaches the extent of what that bribe got him just because he was trying to mack on Kim.

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008

New Division posted:

Wonder if Jimmy figures that Chuck will do that work for him if he leaves the paperwork in Chuck's house.

Kind of expect there to be some sort of electronic device hidden in there, after he saw the doctor turn on whatever it was she did before.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The Kettlemans are about to need the kind of lawyer guilty people hire

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Give this whole loving family the death penalty.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

DarklyDreaming posted:

A criminal lawyer?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
This is criminallaw.txt right here complete with the delusional family member who isn't looking at doing the time deciding the deal.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Mrs. Kettleman is really good at self-deception

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

gaaawd these two

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

FUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DarklyDreaming posted:

Is Jimmy going to get them out of this completely somehow in order to get back at Kim?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Better Call Saul!!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DarklyDreaming posted:

yep

HHM gonna fire Kim, Kettelmen's hire Jimmy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Jimmy is amazing.

• Locked thread