Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Very tiny detail with Actor. It sounds like life support breathing in the background in the cutscene before his final level(Final Cut). I guess it's just more spooky prophetic nonsense, like whenever Richard appears!
Also gently caress Death Wish on Hard! It's fun, but gently caress! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right, but it's a dream sequence? Just about the only common thread running through most people's freakouts is Richard. Pardo is off doing his own thing, he only tangentially gets involved in what everyone else is doing. His only real connection to the Fans is via Evan.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Because it and the Actor's part each operate using a completely disjointed set of symbols and explanations from all the other stories and each other.

How so?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

Right, but it's a dream sequence? Just about the only common thread running through most people's freakouts is Richard. Pardo is off doing his own thing, he only tangentially gets involved in what everyone else is doing. His only real connection to the Fans is via Evan.

Yes, it's still part of the dream.Actually I think that was part of the movie. Other instances of fortune telling occur, like when Mark hands out the Richard masks and they're clearly speaking dialogue that takes place in the future, with their tower raid against the Sons of Russia going wrong. I don't think this has any meaning except to make the player share in the sense of wrongness the characters had. Whoops nevermind.

Erata fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 16, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Speedball posted:

What IS the Detective's ability?

He can eat two bullets before dying, 100% of the time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I guess that's a no on the Steam question.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesnolk posted:

I've admittedly not caught up with the thread so as to avoid spoilers, but does anyone know if there's an ETA for a fix with the steam version? Enemies bug out constantly and the controls don't even work more often than not. For example, pressing LMB will either do nothing at all or act as if the button is being held down.

Other than enemies getting stuck in doors and corners at times I don't have any of these problems, so I'm not so sure it's a problem with the Steam version itself.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

They give patch notes in the steam forum- I'll pull them now.

edit: weird, no notes. The forums are of course discussing the possibility of a secret ending. Time to S-rank all the scenes on both difficulties!

New ending ala Portal: After the poem, you get another stinger: TO BE CONTINUED

IN NUCLEAR THRONE

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I haven't had any left-clicking problems in this game but the enemies bugging out is definitely not unique to the Steam version or anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So hey people on Reddit found out that you can use the buggy-rear end beta level editor if you have the GOG version of the game using a hex editor. Apparently it's really not worth it though because a) you can't share the levels you make obviously, and b) it's extremely buggy, even buggier than the preview they publically showed off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The oooh, is this just a movie set? OR IS IT thing is played differently in the two scenarios for no other purpose than pulling the rug out from under the player in a way that makes no coherent sense. "it was just a dream- and you were the killer all along!" and "the gun was really loaded!...for some reason" twists are something M. Night Shyamalan would come up with- but even then they'd be the core of the narrative, not disconnected from all the other narrative threads. The puppet in particular is a symbol tossed into the narrative without need, and without any association with any of the other content of the other narratives of the game. The two uses of filmsets are opposed to each other, but not contrasted in any way that produces a motif or thematic meaning. The Actor is given no setting that establishes his supposedly disturbed mental state except a dream sequence- so the only reason people say he's hosed up is because Richard says he's hosed up, in the hosed up dreams Richard is giving him.

Again, the narrative structure of the game is basically a list of different ideas for sequels to the first game tossed together with no support or coherence, unless the message is either "violence is bad", "nothing matters because the sweet release of death embraces us all", or "the spooky talking chicken head man is always right".

It's like the Errant Signal criticism of the first game, taken to its illogical conclusion. The writers know, use and benefit from narrative design in order to make the clever statement that narrative design can be inconsistent and incomplete-so why bother. But they did bother, and they know it can be effective, so their point is self-defeating. It's like crafting the first two chapters of a novel and the third chapter is HA HA BOOKS ARE FOR NERDS and the other pages are blank.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

The Actor is given no setting that establishes his supposedly disturbed mental state except a dream sequence- so the only reason people say he's hosed up is because Richard says he's hosed up, in the hosed up dreams Richard is giving him.

Richard isn't real, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

Richard isn't real, though.

Richard is appearing to more than one character with consistent characteristics between their appearances, with knowledge of events they don't know. He may not have a physical form, but he's real. If the Actor is hosed up, the only reason the Actor is hosed up is because of Richard- and even then, that isn't demonstrated. They would just need one scene of the actor doing or seeking violent stuff outside of Richard's influence or a movie set and they could establish motivation and character. They didn't.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 16, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

Richard is appearing to more than one character with consistent characteristics between their appearances, with knowledge of events they don't know. He may not have a physical form, but he's real. If the Actor is hosed up, the only reason the actor is hosed up is because of Richard. They would just need one scene of the actor doing or seeking violent stuff outside of Richard's influence or a movie set and they could establish motivation and character. They didn't.

It's a shared hallucination/memetic. At the end the mother isn't literally teleported away and replaced with him. The NG+ intro isn't really happening either. Their dead bodies didn't all get back together to do the same thing again. They're dead. He's supposed to be representative or symbolic, not literally there. The actor is hosed up because he's getting so into the role and has latent tendencies and urges he's acting out. Actually, when the actress runs from his apartment I didn't know if it was supposed to be the movie or not. I assumed it was him waking from his dream, that happening, then transitioning to the movie part as if it were all interchangeable.

e: It's even like you admit; 'it's not demonstrated'. In his dream he's facing himself, like the Son (is this what you want dad?) and Pardo.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 16, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I wish the pistol weapons were a bit more accurate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a shared hallucination from the events of HLM1. At the end the mother isn't literally teleported away and replaced with him. The NG+ intro isn't really happening either. Their dead bodies didn't all get back together to do the same thing again. They're dead. He's supposed to be representative or symbolic, not literally there.

Shared hallucinations can't predict the future or create psychic mindlinks. If Richard is supposed to be symbolic, then he lacks any coherence or meaning and is a lovely symbol.

RBA Starblade posted:

The actor is hosed up because he's getting so into the role and has latent tendencies and urges he's acting out. Actually, when the actress runs from his apartment I didn't know if it was supposed to be the movie or not.

There's no demonstration that the actor has any "latent tendencies" aside from Richard saying he has them. You're giving the writers too much credit.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: It's even like you admit; 'it's not demonstrated'.
The thing that's not demonstrated is that the actor is in any way mentally unwell.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I was kinda surprised the Actor didn't do more. I vaguely recall some of the previews implying that he was going on his own vigilante murder spree in order to "get in character."

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Anatharon posted:

He can eat two bullets before dying, 100% of the time.

So, basically no ability then.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
Wait so.. How do we access NG+? Does that just mean hard mode?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

Shared hallucinations can't predict the future or create psychic mindlinks. If Richard is supposed to be symbolic, then he lacks any coherence or meaning and is a lovely symbol.

There's no demonstration that the actor has any "latent tendencies" aside from Richard saying he has them. You're giving the writers too much credit.

In his dreams he admits he wants to hurt people, like how in Pardo's dream he realizes he's the murderer he's chasing for the desire he craves, and how the Son faces up to the fact that he's going down his father's path not knowing what he wants for himself. Mark realizes how it's going to end. Evan realizes he can either go all in on his book or reconnect with his family. Richter realizes his regret. Jake never sees him iirc, and when Evan does it's just a mask. Richard says Beard does but I don't really know what he means by that.

quote:

I was kinda surprised the Actor didn't do more. I vaguely recall some of the previews implying that he was going on his own vigilante murder spree in order to "get in character."

This is why the Actor's part is dumb, not something about Richard actually literally existing. Other than the actress leaving and him thinking it he doesn't ever actually act on it except in the film.

e: Truth and premonition in dreams isn't really a new concept.

quote:

Wait so.. How do we access NG+? Does that just mean hard mode?

The intro changes when you do New Game as well, it's just easier to say NG+ for me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 16, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

In his dreams he admits he wants to hurt people, like how in Pardo's dream he realizes he's the murderer he's chasing for the desire he craves, and how the Son faces up to the fact that he's going down his father's path not knowing what he wants for himself. Mark realizes how it's going to end. Evan realizes he can either go all in on his book or reconnect with his family.
So Richard is an author insert who tells everyone what they're doing wrong. He does this via dreams which in the Actor's narrative are the only source of supposed evidence that the actor wants to hurt people.

RBA Starblade posted:

This is why the Actor's part is dumb, not something about Richard actually literally existing.

Richard exists. The visions he has with characters establish that he can show people the future and has awareness of events before they occur.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Truth and premonition in dreams isn't really a new concept.

Yes, and when the truths and premonitions are being delivered in dreams by the same character every time but one, and when that character gathers all the people he's been delivering truths and premonitions to in one room and has a conversation with them, and says that he met one of them before, it's a pretty good sign that they exist in the narrative as something other than a hallucination.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 16, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

So Richard is an author insert who tells everyone what they're doing wrong. He does this via dreams which in the Actor's narrative are the only source of supposed evidence that the actor wants to hurt people.

Richard exists. The visions he has with characters establish that he can show people the future and has awareness of events before they occur.

When Jacket was seeing Beard in HLM1, was he really there? How about the zebra and the owl? How about when he tore his own head off?

quote:

So Richard is an author insert who tells everyone what they're doing wrong.

No, that's not it at all. Again, truth (especially about yourself) and premonition in dreams isn't exactly new in media.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Jesus Christ the third area on hard mode casualties.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Brovstin posted:

I figure the actor part is less about the Actor himself than about how famous Jacket is for his murder sprees, though. It's exposition.

Discendo Vox posted:

So the actor was lying in his own dream interview? That seems convoluted.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
Edit: Nevermind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vic Boss posted:

Jacket was in a coma for like 80% of his levels.

The Son is tripping balls, but clearly Richard is there.

e: sorry I guess I sniped you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Richard is a shared symbol in much the same ways that Pardo and the Actor both have the film-set scenes as a result of them both using simulated or manufactured violence for their own ends. The plot's not earth-shattering, but it's coherent. You're just being astronomically thick.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Trick Question posted:

I figure the actor part is less about the Actor himself than about how famous Jacket is for his murder sprees, though. It's exposition.

Act One is called Exposition. :vince:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Oxxidation posted:

Richard is a shared symbol in much the same ways that Pardo and the Actor both have the film-set scenes as a result of them both using simulated or manufactured violence for their own ends. The plot's not earth-shattering, but it's coherent. You're just being astronomically thick.

So once again, if the plot is coherent, our possible meanings are "violence is bad", "nothing matters because the sweet release of death embraces us all", or "the spooky talking chicken head man is always right".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Geight posted:

Act One is called Exposition. :vince:

Each part is named after parts of a story! Though Climax sort of jumps the gun. :v:

quote:

So once again, if the plot is coherent, our possible meanings are "violence is bad", "nothing matters because the sweet release of death embraces us all", or "the spooky talking chicken head man is always right".

You had fun, didn't you?

But seriously I feel like HLM2 is more just a followup on 1 than trying to say its own message. At the least it's about how violence can envelop everything around you until it burns your whole world out.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 16, 2015

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

The chicken is death, god, fate, or something like that.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Trick Question posted:

I guess, I still think it would have been a nice premise for a few levels. I suppose I know what my first level editor creation will be.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Each part is named after parts of a story! Though Climax sort of jumps the gun. :v:

I don't have the exact chronological order of events memorized, but I'm thinking it's right where it should be. For me though the climax of the story was the end of Act 4. I cared a bit less about what came afterwards.

Also does the game really not have a way to show friends-only leaderboard stats?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

You had fun, didn't you?

I was incredibly disappointed. I thought the developers would have learned from the first game, but it's as if they learned all the wrong lessons. I wanted the game to do any of a number of things from a play or a narrative direction, and instead it's a celebration of its inability to do any of them.

Phil Niekro posted:

The chicken is death, god, fate, or something like that.
If a symbolic accounting of something has to include the phrase "something like that", it's a really bad sign. More generally, if you need an omniscient character to appear to everyone to tell them what is right and wrong, it's a really bad sign.

Geight posted:

Also does the game really not have a way to show friends-only leaderboard stats?

On that note, is there a way to scroll through the leaderboard faster than 10 at a time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

I was incredibly disappointed. I thought the developers would have learned from the first game, but it's as if they learned all the wrong lessons. I wanted the game to do any of a number of things from a play or a narrative direction, and instead it's a celebration of its inability to do any of them.

Yeah me too, but with the gameplay and design choices but I've bitched about that enough. I loved the rest.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

On that note, is there a way to scroll through the leaderboard faster than 10 at a time?

That would also be a good addition. Why would they mess up the leaderboards, of all things. :v:

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

If a symbolic accounting of something has to include the phrase "something like that", it's a really bad sign. More generally, if you need an omniscient character to appear to everyone to tell them what is right and wrong, it's a really bad sign.

Agreed. The story isnt very good.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I didn't even know you could lock on to enemies. Also check out this sick vid https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Wgz2TbcfE

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

This is part of why I got all excited by the Richter's father stuff, and why I'm still poking around for connections- I'd love it to be good. It's such a waste of potential. If they patch the gameplay and release a level maker with story controls, expect some fanfic revisions from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay this is really late but I'm pretty sure the main clue to the actor being messed up is the fact that, in the levels we play as him, things appear as "real" despite just being a film. I think it's supposed to show how, despite being "just a movie", it comes across as more"real" to him because of how much he wants to live out his violent fantasies.

• Locked thread