Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So the parking lights will come on when you turn the key to park.

Getting the feeling the battery is hosed. I'll just put the fresh one out of my busted rear end Virago in tomorrow and see if everything lights up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

nitrogen posted:

It'll be bikini weather here within a month so I will keep that in mind.

Seriously, though, I would try some kind of alcohol. Methanol, if you can get your hands on some. Isopropyl alcohol might work, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ArbitraryTA posted:

Getting the feeling the battery is hosed. I'll just put the fresh one out of my busted rear end Virago in tomorrow and see if everything lights up then.

This will end with you going to the store and buying a $10 multimeter.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

ArbitraryTA posted:

Electrical wiring for motorcycles seems really effed up. Either that, or the PO of mine did some wacky poo poo that I spent all morning re-doing.

The brakelight was pretty much worthless till I fixed it.

Now for today's dumb question:

After a ride, i see some gooey poo poo around one of my exhausts:

I pulled some of it off and it was VERY stringy.

The two bits on the left were me wiping whatever the gently caress it was off of my glove.

Now that it's cooled off, its a dull black and not shiny.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your bike shat itself.

Taste it and find out what it is (it's probably melted plastic or electrical tape). Do you ride with a backpack or similar tied to your bike?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Dumb question of the day: You guys think a R/R unit off of a 1993 Yamaha Virago will work on a 2001 Suzuki SV650S? I'm broke as hell and about to start cannibalizing the dead Yamaha for parts if they'll work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Electrical wiring for motorcycles seems really effed up. Either that, or the PO of mine did some wacky poo poo that I spent all morning re-doing.

The brakelight was pretty much worthless till I fixed it.

Now for today's dumb question:

After a ride, i see some gooey poo poo around one of my exhausts:

I pulled some of it off and it was VERY stringy.

The two bits on the left were me wiping whatever the gently caress it was off of my glove.

Now that it's cooled off, its a dull black and not shiny.

That's a Multistrada right? That makes me believe the two parts of your post are related. :v:

Ducati teaches you electrics like a "a boy named Sue" was taught to grow up tough. I'm thinking an electric connector in the tail has melted against the exhaust, explains both the black goo and the electric gremlins. Mi scusi, i gremlins elettrico.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Your bike shat itself.

Taste it and find out what it is (it's probably melted plastic or electrical tape). Do you ride with a backpack or similar tied to your bike?

Goddamn you're good.

I feel silly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ArbitraryTA posted:

Dumb question of the day: You guys think a R/R unit off of a 1993 Yamaha Virago will work on a 2001 Suzuki SV650S? I'm broke as hell and about to start cannibalizing the dead Yamaha for parts if they'll work.

Yeah it should work, the wires probably won't be the same colours etc but I'm sure you're capable of getting around that. Have you bought a multimeter yet?

nitrogen posted:

Goddamn you're good.

That's what your mum said :cool:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum: Did You Buy A Multimeter Yet?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you want the nicest of the cheapo meters, this is a good one. Expensive for home use but it'll do almost every job a several hundred dollar Fluke will do and they don't break that often. Took me a couple years of heavy use to blow my last one out. Only thing I wish it did was tachometer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-digital-multimeter-98674.html

Otherwise, anything that does DCV and ACV and Ohms and diode test is good. Amps is nice to have too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If you want the nicest of the cheapo meters, this is a good one. Expensive for home use but it'll do almost every job a several hundred dollar Fluke will do and they don't break that often. Took me a couple years of heavy use to blow my last one out. Only thing I wish it did was tachometer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-digital-multimeter-98674.html

Otherwise, anything that does DCV and ACV and Ohms and diode test is good. Amps is nice to have too.

And if you're not going to be doing much more than checking battery voltage and finding open circuits, this one isn't bad: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-69096.html

Especially if you find the coupon that makes it free.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
So I just did an oil change at 3000 miles on my Ninja 300. The only earlier change was the 500 mile break in oil change. I noticed some small sparkly metal bits in the oil. Am I correct in assuming that these are probably from the transmission, and nothing to worry about? The dealer mentioned I might see some.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Deeters posted:

And if you're not going to be doing much more than checking battery voltage and finding open circuits, this one isn't bad: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-69096.html

Especially if you find the coupon that makes it free.

I have two of those free ones that I give away to people who try to troubleshoot electrics without one.

I also have this one from when it came in a yellow cover. Haven't managed to screw it up yet, although it's been through a half-dozen batteries because putting it facedown in just the right way can turn it on.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My favourite budget quality multimeter option is BK Precision, their stuff is nearly as good as Fluke but costs a lot less.

Plus they're the gooniest option since they're headquartered in Yorba Linda and founded by a guy whose last name is Korn. :dance:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Giblet Plus! posted:

So I just did an oil change at 3000 miles on my Ninja 300. The only earlier change was the 500 mile break in oil change. I noticed some small sparkly metal bits in the oil. Am I correct in assuming that these are probably from the transmission, and nothing to worry about? The dealer mentioned I might see some.

How small are we talking? If we're talking fine grain, then that's generally OK. Anything larger is cause for concern.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Odette posted:

How small are we talking? If we're talking fine grain, then that's generally OK. Anything larger is cause for concern.

Yeah they were very small. Nothing is off about how the bike runs.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Giblet Plus! posted:

Yeah they were very small. Nothing is off about how the bike runs.

Sounds like 100% normal wear and tear on a brand new engine. Kinda surprised the manual didn't tell you to change the oil at 500 miles, though.

Maybe I'm an old school idiot but I always thought you had to have an early oil change on new motors to get the fine metallic shavings out, but I've been wrong about this poo poo a million times before.

If the engine is behaving, don't sweat it and go have fun.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I put a battery I had available that has good charge in and the park lights will come on but turning the key to on does nothing. With a multimeter what/where should I be testing to figure out what in the world is going on?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I put a battery I had available that has good charge in and the park lights will come on but turning the key to on does nothing. With a multimeter what/where should I be testing to figure out what in the world is going on?

Not even a click? If not:

Check clutch, sidestand, etc sensors first. Try shorting those to see if the bike then starts.

Try starting it in neutral also.

Otherwise check starter relay. You can try shorting the correct pins to see if the relay is toast.

Also assuming you are hitting the start button after turning the key on whatever motorcycle this is.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

nitrogen posted:

Not even a click? If not:

Check clutch, sidestand, etc sensors first. Try shorting those to see if the bike then starts.

Try starting it in neutral also.

Otherwise check starter relay. You can try shorting the correct pins to see if the relay is toast.

Also assuming you are hitting the start button after turning the key on whatever motorcycle this is.

It's an SV650S and no the problem is that literally nothing is coming on when I turn the key to On. Like we're talking no dash lights, gauges, odometer, head and tail lights, horn won't sound, nothing. The entire thing is dead. It's not just a problem with the starter relay or motor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did you connect the wiring harness ground as well? It's attached to the negative battery terminal wiring harness and sometimes it slips off.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Z3n posted:

Did you connect the wiring harness ground as well? It's attached to the negative battery terminal wiring harness and sometimes it slips off.

Do you mean the black rubber thing that kinda ties down into around where the right footpeg is? That all seems connected.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Not sure exactly what you're referring to there - it should be a small connector attached about 3 inches down the wire that attaches to the negative battery terminal. Pictures, perhaps?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like the main relay or main relay fuse might be blown. That fuse is usually separate to the others and is directly mounted to the relay housing instead of sitting in the fuse box.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I just thought about something. A day or two before the bike gave out while all this poo poo was happening, I recall a burning plastic smell coming from around the gas tank.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I think I'm cursed.

My ducati (620 multistrada '06) now has the oil light coming on at low RPM's.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My Triumph did that right before it spun a bunch of bearings at >100mph. :v:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

CURSED I tell you. CURSED.

Maybe I should give up this motorcycle poo poo before I completely lose it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Man buys retarded ancient Italian motorcycle against all reason and advice. Said motorcycle fucks out. Man blames motorcycles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

CURSED I tell you. CURSED.

Maybe I should give up this motorcycle poo poo before I completely lose it.

I hear the SV is a good bike. :v:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

So I finally got my full exhaust installed (2013 Ninja 650 so no slip-ons), after I got done, I noticed a small brass or copper ring in the box, is that supposed to go between the header pipe and the block? How important is it? I don't really want to take it all back off, though this exhaust would be much easier to remove than the oem, the 4 header bolts then one on the canister that I can actually reach without taking off the entire drat footpeg assembly.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If it's the same diameter as the header, yes, that's a copper exhaust gasket that will need to go on to create a seal. Have you started it yet? Should make a clicking a sort of noise if there's a leak.

E: Something like this?

http://www.sportslinkup.com/shop/0-Copper-exhaust-11-bin.html

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 17, 2015

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah that's it.

Meh, I left the fairings off for an oil change tomorrow, took long than I thought to do the exahust and got dark on me. I'll just take it back off, shouldn't take too long.

I did start it, but I'm partially deaf so I wouldn't be able to hear something subtle like that. Part of the reason I wanted a new exhaust, so I can hear it better with my hearing aid off.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Man buys retarded ancient Italian motorcycle against all reason and advice. Said motorcycle fucks out. Man blames motorcycles.

2006 is ancient?

Even if y'all did tell me not to buy it (which I don't remember) I probably would have ignored you anyway. I'm the type of person that can't love anything without some pain involved.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Ripoff posted:

Sounds like 100% normal wear and tear on a brand new engine. Kinda surprised the manual didn't tell you to change the oil at 500 miles, though.

Maybe I'm an old school idiot but I always thought you had to have an early oil change on new motors to get the fine metallic shavings out, but I've been wrong about this poo poo a million times before.

If the engine is behaving, don't sweat it and go have fun.

No you're right, the manual asked for a 600 mile change, which I did early at 500. I didn't notice anything in the oil then, but I did at the 3000 mile change yesterday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nitrogen posted:

2006 is ancient?

Even if y'all did tell me not to buy it (which I don't remember) I probably would have ignored you anyway. I'm the type of person that can't love anything without some pain involved.

It's ancient in ducati years :v:

In that case, pain is what you shall receive, carry on old son.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nitrogen posted:

2006 is ancient?

It's like dog years. 1 year is like 7 Ducati years.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I didn't know multimeter guy was on an SV650s! I went with a friend to un winterize his bike today (SV650s) and even with a freshly charged battery (been on the tender for a few months) it wouldn't work. It just clicked the first time then everything turned off. I decided we didn't tighten the battery terminals enough. Nope. Then I decided it was a fuse. Nope.

Fast forward an hour and we have taken the side covers and seat off 4 times, jumped it twice, push started it once, and this time we decided to keep it revved while he screwed the seat and side cover on (kept dying while idling - we came to the conclusion earlier that it had come unhooked from the tender or something). So I'm holding it at 5krpm while he screws on the stuff and it dies. At that point I said it must be the battery so we went and bought a new one.

Tomorrow we will find out it is some other wacky problem so stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Astoundingly astute from a man who buys correct parts made incorrectly.