Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cakefool posted:

Welcome to December?

Oh my goodness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
December looks awful, can we get a different month please?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Can you guess what safety device has been installed (badly) here?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hello old friend the garage door safety beam.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Indolent Bastard posted:

Can you guess what safety device has been installed (badly) here?

Just spitballing, CO detector?

fake edit: wait that's a loving garage door cutout sensor isn't it? :stonk:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SynthOrange posted:

Hello old friend the garage door safety beam.

:siren:Winner:siren:

Tough to stop the door from pinning little Jimmy if the beam travels a 6 inch gap rather than being placed on either side of the door.

I kind of hope the guy who installed it damages his car as the door continues to close on his hood since there is effectively no safety mechanism anymore.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its just one of those things that keep coming up in this thread. :allears:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

December looks awful, can we get a different month please?

Nope, we're going back to December all the time.

Turns out freedom isn't nothing but missing terrible construction.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Just spitballing, CO detector?

fake edit: wait that's a loving garage door cutout sensor isn't it? :stonk:

That is obviously a fire extinguisher. :colbert:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Don't garage doors have a pressure sensor? All the ones I've known in the past 20-30 years or so use the IR sensor, but I seem to remember in my younger days before they used IR that if you shoved something under the garage door, it would stop and open back up.

edit: if pressure sensors have been replaced by IR optic sensors, I just came up with a new idea for a high output can crusher.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 17, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

Don't garage doors have a pressure sensor? All the ones I've known in the past 20-30 years or so use the IR sensor, but I seem to remember in my younger days before they used IR that if you shoved something under the garage door, it would stop and open back up.

edit: if pressure sensors have been replaced by IR optic sensors, I just came up with a new idea for a high output can crusher.

I think it's more of torque limiter that goes into reverse if the electric motor suddenly increases load due to something stopping the door from traveling all the way down.

Regardless, I think the downforce is still enough crush pets and break little Jimmy's bones before that kicks in. That's why IR beams are mandated now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

They have both. But you SHOULD have both. Because the same kind of person who puts the light sensors like that is also going to crank the down force sensor up to "cut children in half" rather than lubing their garage door tracks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poo poo I just have a manual door.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

His Divine Shadow posted:

Did you just get a horseless carriage and indoor plumbing, too?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got those around the same time you got your scooter for getting around inside the supermarket.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm going to assume that when you close your door, in order to duplicate modern safety techniques, you shut your eyes tight and slam the door down as hard as you possibly can.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How hard is it to actually line up those sensors across the width of a garage door? I am trying to get a sense for exactly how lazy people are being about this.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bad Munki posted:

I'm going to assume that when you close your door, in order to duplicate modern safety techniques, you shut your eyes tight and slam the door down as hard as you possibly can.

I've also welded a number of meat cleaver blades to the bottom of the door. Just incase some aristocracy wander onto my yard.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ashcans posted:

How hard is it to actually line up those sensors across the width of a garage door? I am trying to get a sense for exactly how lazy people are being about this.

They just need to be roughly pointed at each other. I bent the metal hanger on mine once and it took maybe 15s to re bend and fix it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've also welded a number of meat cleaver blades to the bottom of the door. Just incase some aristocracy wander onto my yard.

A different sort of safety mechanism, good man.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Those IR sensors make for great foot-activated "whoops forgot something inside" switches.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I got those around the same time you got your scooter for getting around inside the supermarket.

:iceburn:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Super lazy. They literally clip on to the door track, so they don't even needs to be screwed onto anything. You then roughly aim them at each other and if the LED doesn't come on you adjust from there. The hardest part is the 5 minutes you'll spend tacking the wire up on the wall/ceiling with the cable staples that come in the box with the opener.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man that is super depressing. If it was some sort of Mission Impossible poo poo with angling mirrors or whatever I would understand people getting frustrated and trying to shortcut it to finish the job, but if its that simple and people just don't give a gently caress... :smith:

I don't know why I should be remotely surprised given everything else in this thread.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Maybe they live in some crazy plot of land where the sun is always setting? At my old house during fall I think the drat thing wouldn't close at 5-6pm when the sun was setting and blinding one of the sensors. Had to get a cardboard box to place in front of my garage door to cast a shadow on the thing and then close the door and go back outside to collect the box :argh:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

Maybe they live in some crazy plot of land where the sun is always setting? At my old house during fall I think the drat thing wouldn't close at 5-6pm when the sun was setting and blinding one of the sensors. Had to get a cardboard box to place in front of my garage door to cast a shadow on the thing and then close the door and go back outside to collect the box :argh:

Most likely all you would have had to do to solve that problem would be to swap the left/right sensors.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Or maybe they just like hitting the garage door button and then running out of the garage under the door before it closes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zhentar posted:

Or maybe they just like hitting the garage door button and then running out of the garage under the door before it closes.

You can still do that! Just pretend there's a string connecting the sensors that you have to hop over and look like an idiot while you do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do those sensors look when installed correctly? I've never actually seen an automatic garage door before. Mine is big heavy chunk of wood from 1951 and my opener is my wife if she's in the car.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A little black box at the bottom of the track on each side of the garage door opening, aimed at each other. There's an IR light shining out of one and a sensor in the other. If the sensor sees the light, the door is probably clear and is allowed to close. If it doesn't, it must be blocked, and the door reverses back up.

e: I'm a nice guy, so I googled it. Here's an example, you'd have one on each side:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So if something is taller than the beam it gets crushed? I remember now my grandpa had an automatic door on his garage and I once closed it while his truck's bumper was sticking out. It touched the bumper then backed off, sort of like an elevator door. With the IR sensor I imagine I'd have been hosed? Some sort of pressure system seems way safer, and no false trips from running out the door.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

So if something is taller than the beam it gets crushed? I remember now my grandpa had an automatic door on his garage and I once closed it while his truck's bumper was sticking out. It touched the bumper then backed off, sort of like an elevator door. With the IR sensor I imagine I'd have been hosed? Some sort of pressure system seems way safer, and no false trips from running out the door.

Yeah, if you have something sort of leaning out over the beam then of course the beam won't trip. But far more common is that you have something standing on the beam path. Like Motronic said, the motor is also supposed to detect obstructions; it's a multi-step safety.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Baronjutter posted:

I've got both.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, if you have something sort of leaning out over the beam then of course the beam won't trip. But far more common is that you have something standing on the beam path. Like Motronic said, the motor is also supposed to detect obstructions; it's a multi-step safety.

And on commercial doors you typically have a third safety: a compression strip that's part of the gasket on the bottom of the door that will trip if it hits something.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

You can still do that! Just pretend there's a string connecting the sensors that you have to hop over and look like an idiot a ninja while you do.

My preferred exit strategy.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Can't wait till that thing malfunctions and you end up with a lukewarm cat-piss-poo poo slurry being slowly agitated and swirled as the water level slowly rises, the granules floating at the top of a soup of cat waste wheeling like a cat-piss-poo poo nebula

Those granules have got to smell pretty good after getting soaked in pisswater a couple times

Had an ex-girlfriend who had one. The litter is non-porous plastic, and the water gets an added dose of a enzymatic mixture and a deodorizer. Nifty kit, but drat expensive to buy and maintain.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Devor posted:

You can still do that! Just pretend there's a string connecting the sensors that you have to hop over and look like an idiot while you do.

Or worse, jump too high and hit your forehead on the door as it's coming down. :cripes:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The Orange Mage posted:

Or worse, jump too high and hit your forehead on the door as it's coming down. :cripes:

Or race the door while driving a utility cart and almost kill yourself and a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFb0y7TrqHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Why do all these improperly installed sensors still have all the excess wire slack? Are they delusional enough to think that they will fix it later? :effort:

e: Or does the wire come stripped and they are too lazy to cut and strip it again?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 18, 2015