Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Right. That's kind of the point I was making. The guy knows how to franchise Spider-Man. If he wasn't writing the main Spider-Man book, he'd be great to have on a B title where he could introduce his weird ideas, and then let a more capable writer cherry pick the good ones for Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Seriously, you guys are bending over backwards to poo poo on Slott. The point has never been that he's a good writer, rather that his run has produced good ideas for Spider-Man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I dispute that. I can't think of one idea I like of his, that isn't just insert character into other characters stick.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kaleidoscope posted:

Seriously, you guys are bending over backwards to poo poo on Slott. The point has never been that he's a good writer, rather that his run has produced good ideas for Spider-Man.

There are a couple, yeah, but there aren't any that weren't more satisfyingly executed by other people. I would genuinely like to see Gage or Wells or Gerry Conway give a serious whack at Peter as a struggling industrialist, but Slott seems to view it as an obnoxious distraction.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CharlestheHammer posted:

I dispute that. I can't think of one idea I like of his, that isn't just insert character into other characters stick.

I genuinely loved Spider-Man/Human Torch, and that was basically all him.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Reminder made Flash Venom good. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

His ideas aren't even that good, he just seems to be able to pitch his ideas better than most and not have them shot down immediately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

His ideas aren't even that good, he just seems to be able to pitch his ideas better than most and not have them shot down immediately.

Hasbro must love him for how many action figures have been churned out of his run.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Seriously, you guys are bending over backwards to poo poo on Slott.

hi welcome to the BSS spider-man thread

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Speaking of Slott and Spider-Gwen, what was even the creative timeline for the design of that character? Because you'd think some wires got crossed somewhere, or that Slott just didn't give a gently caress, since her portrayal in Amazing Spider-Man was almost totally different from her portrayal in Edge of Spider-Verse.

Like, in her first appearance, Gwen gets established as this guilt-ridden punk rock superhero, then she shows up again in the main story (written by Slott) and displays virtually none of the quirks from that issue. Like she has this quiet air of flirtatiousness and speaks a little more elegantly and it really feels like Slott is writing her in character to 1973 Gwen Stacy; she almost seems like she's approximately Peter's age rather than somebody who's clearly nineteen or twenty at best. Then Hopeless starts writing her, and she's back to being a teenager, but she's just part of a Pippin/Merry team with Anya or Silk and not visibly morose or pensive at all. Then, at the tail end of the event when Slott writes her again, Peter Parker finally says something about "band practice" and that's the first time any of the story elements from Latour's issue get mentioned.

There's enough ambiguity with the timeline that I'm not sure if this is a problem with deadlines or a matter of writers (Slott and Hopeless and, I guess, Conway) not giving enough of a gently caress. Maybe a little of both?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
From that interview that was linked before it just seems that Spider-verse spiraled out of his grasp. At first it was going to be SpOck and a few spider-people, including 2099 and Spider-UK, teaming up for three issues and he thought of Gwen having a red and blue version of the clothes she wore when she died. Then at some point editorial went "uhhh this isn't going to be a Superior storyline... we thought that was obvious... also here's the designs for spider-gwen, no you don't have the power to reject them, this is literally the best costume ever."
So by the time Spider-gwen happened, Jason Latour had some brilliant ideas for her character while Slott had just gone with "1973 Gwen but with Spider powers" he thought of a year before. Similarly, Spider-punk was just this UK-based guy and Jed Mackay thought up a whole story and asked himself "why would he be white?" as Slott focused on the main story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gosh, it's almost as if the SV tie-ins were better than the core book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Gosh, it's almost as if the SV tie-ins were better than the core book.

That's been true as long as Slott has been on Spider-man. Without fail.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Kaleidoscope posted:

If he didn't have a twitter account most people would just say he's a bad writer and move on, but most of the time he's actively trying to troll certain groups of fans and get a reaction out of them which is why people hate him so much.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Flameingblack posted:

If he didn't have a twitter account most people would just say he's a bad writer and move on, but most of the time he's actively trying to troll certain groups of fans and get a reaction out of them which is why people hate him so much.

So you're saying it's his fault because he's provocatively dressed?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

So you're saying it's his fault because he's provocatively dressed?
Are you actually comparing Dan Slott being a poo poo on twitter to women being raped?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Slott's writing Renew Your Vows. God dammit. Burn it down.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nobby posted:

I should've known, hope is for fools. :negative:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

“With any story where you give people what they want—there’s a difference, as a storyteller, between what your readers want and what your readers need. In a good Peanuts story, you want Charlie Brown to kick that football. But if Charlie Brown kicks the football, it’s over!” says Slott. “All the best stories in serialized fiction–it’s always about teasing the greatest wishes and wants, but monkey-pawing it. Always giving you what you want, but not the way you want it.”

This guy is supposed to be a professional writer?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So what he's saying is that he's been writing Newspaper Spider-man the whole time?

e:

actually Newspaper Spider-man seems to be getting some stronger character beats than Slott right now

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 16, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Codependent Poster posted:

This guy is supposed to be a professional writer?

He at least sounds like one.

"Don't like what I wrote well, uh, I did that on purpose! Ha-ha I am a master artist!"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

He's actually Vince Russo + 175 more pounds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

He's actually Vince Russo + 175 more pounds.

I can't wait until he causes Marvel to be dropped by Disney.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nobby posted:

drat YOOOOOOU MONKEY'S PAW!
:arghfist::spidey:

Also I realise it's :spergin: but they couldn't even glance at the cover of ASM Annual #21 to get the wedding dress right?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So what he's saying is that he's been writing Newspaper Spider-man the whole time?

e:

actually Newspaper Spider-man seems to be getting some stronger character beats than Slott right now
That's because Stan is still The Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's because Stan is still The Man.

It is actually Stan's brother or cousin or whoever that writes the daily strip.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

It is actually Stan's brother or cousin or whoever that writes the daily strip.

Nepotism: better than Dan Slott

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Batgirl isn't exactly setting the world on fire with quality, they took heat for how they handled a trans character and now this Joker cover.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

^burtle posted:

Batgirl isn't exactly setting the world on fire with quality, they took heat for how they handled a trans character and now this Joker cover.

I don't read Batgirl, but the writer apologized and fully accepted they made a mistake with the first one, and protested the Joker cover(and then the artist who drew it regretted it and requested it be pulled, which it was).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Batgirl character was never trans and one of those rare actual instances of people being mad over nothing

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Blockhouse posted:

The Batgirl character was never trans and one of those rare actual instances of people being mad over nothing

It hit the "this character's gender isn't what you thought it was!" and "this character's hero/villain orientation isn't what you thought it was!" beats at the same time, which is an old trope that's hurtful to trans people. So not exactly nothing, even if it wasn't what the creators intended. I think the apology pretty much said everything that needed to be said.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Blockhouse posted:

Yes, that's also what was my impression when reading the comic - the villian wasn't trans at all, he just dressed up as Batgirl because he wanted to become Batgirl, the character, not necessarily Batgirl the woman. At most he seemed an obsessed, creepy crossdresser, but even that didn't seem the intention from the author. But it was easily read in the other context too, especially if you didn't read the books before.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I always thought the controversy was because the main villain was a crossdresser who acted in the most stereotypical evil crossdresser ways.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always thought the controversy was because the main villain was a crossdresser who acted in the most stereotypical evil crossdresser ways.

Pretty much.

And everybody apologized and acknowledged that while you try and make a better or more inclusive product you gently caress up sometimes but the important part is to acknowledge that and improve.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah creepy crossdresser is still pretty bad, I guess. Just not transphobia bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

yeah creepy crossdresser is still pretty bad, I guess. Just not transphobia bad.

Hey, if you make a character who's a perverted leather daddy with a lisp that's straight, I can see it making gay people upset. A misstep shouldn't condemn a well-meaning run, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

You don't see how "The person you THOUGHT was a GIRL was ACTUALLY A GUY!" is offensive to trans people?

Lurdiak posted:

A misstep shouldn't condemn a well-meaning run, though.

Totally, the creative team seems hella great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well here's another interview with Slott on Renew Your Vows.

Dan Slott posted:

As a Spidey writer, the Spider-Marriage has been a locked off part of the Spidey U. toy box. It’s taken something as big as Secret Wars—an event where every rule can be broken, where nothing is off limits—it’s taken something this epic to give me the freedom to go to the Powers That Be and ask, ‘Can we bust the lock?’
Odd, he's never come out as wanting to use the marriage to my knowledge before (other than unsubstantiated hearsay). Also interesting he states this is meant to based on the late '80s/early '90s Spider-books, which would presumably make the kid baby May.

Also it's interesting that the EW article suggests 'The Regent' is the villain of the piece - considering the talk of Barons and stuff, presumably whoever it is took over from the 'legitimate' Baron that's meant to be ruling that region.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Renew your Vows sounds like it's going to be retconned immediately because of Secret Wars.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

Renew your Vows sounds like it's going to be retconned immediately because of Secret Wars.

Uh, there's really nothing to retcon. A lot of Secret Wars books are pretty much just alternate universe tales, except they all exist on Battleworld. There might be some carry over from them when Secret Wars ends, but it's not retconning anything, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
In Tales From Spider-Verse, "our" Peter met another Spidey during a lull in the battle, where they tried to figure out where their universes diverged. Only at the end do we see that the one he'd been talking to had a wedding ring on.

That's the Spider-Man we're going to see in Renew Your Vows.

• Locked thread