Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Here we go, bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Until I saw the interview with neil gaimann I hadn't had released that terry pratchett could no longer read. That just is really depressing, him as an author neither being able to read nor type, but still being able to think completely normally. Seems almost like a very cruel punishment :(

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah that's the one. Also he's more visibly smiling in it.

I think it's great because he's not even looking at the camera, it's like the photographer just stumbled in on an ordinary day for him.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
In the unlikely event that anyone on this thread needs to be told to go read him, I've gone back and "scored" all the Discworld books I've read (many times). It's x out of 5, where 1 is "good" and 5 is "best".

1. The Colour of Magic (1/5)
2. The Light Fantastic (1/5)
3. Equal Rites (2/5)
4. Mort (3/5)
5. Sourcery (2/5)
6. Wyrd Sisters (3/5)
7. Pyramids (3/5)
8. Guards! Guards! (4/5)
9. Eric (2/5)
10. Moving Pictures (3/5)
11. Reaper Man (5/5)
12. Witches Abroad (4/5)
13. Small Gods (5/5)
14. Lords and Ladies (4/5)
15. Men at Arms (4/5)
16. Soul Music (3/5)
17. Interesting Times (4/5)
18. Maskerade (4/5)
19. Feet of Clay (5/5)
20. Hogfather (5/5)
21. Jingo (2/5)
22. The Last Continent (3/5)
23. Carpe Jugulum (4/5)
24. The Fifth Elephant (3/5)
25. The Truth (5/5)
26. Thief of Time (3/5)
27. Night Watch (5/5)
28. The Wee Free Men (3/5)
29. Monstruos Regiment (2/5)
30. A Hat Full of Sky (4/5)
31. Going Postal (4/5)
32. Thud (3/5)

Good starting books are Mort, Pyramids or Small Gods. For the witches, start with Wyrd Sisters, and for Vimes&Co start with "Guards! Guards!". The first "good" Rincewind book could be Sourcery.

Overall, the best are probably Small Gods and Night Watch. The first one can be read on its own, even if having read more Discworld will help appreciate the finer details and the setting. Night Watch really needs some background story on the Guard.

Very Good Ones Besides Those Two: Feet of Clay, Hogfather and The Truth.

Good Ones: all of them.

My personal favorite is usually a somewhat obscure pick, but this thread quotes it in the loving title: Reaper Man.

Rest in Pieces, you brilliant bastard.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

mastervj posted:

1. The Colour of Magic (1/5)
2. The Light Fantastic (1/5)
3. Equal Rites (2/5)
4. Mort (3/5)
5. Sourcery (2/5)
6. Wyrd Sisters (3/5)
7. Pyramids (3/5)
8. Guards! Guards! (4/5)
9. Eric (2/5)
10. Moving Pictures (3/5)
11. Reaper Man (5/5)
12. Witches Abroad (4/5)
13. Small Gods (5/5)
14. Lords and Ladies (4/5)
15. Men at Arms (4/5)
16. Soul Music (3/5)
17. Interesting Times (4/5)
18. Maskerade (4/5)
19. Feet of Clay (5/5)
20. Hogfather (5/5)
21. Jingo (2/5)
22. The Last Continent (3/5)
23. Carpe Jugulum (4/5)
24. The Fifth Elephant (3/5)
25. The Truth (5/5)
26. Thief of Time (3/5)
27. Night Watch (5/5)
28. The Wee Free Men (3/5)
29. Monstruos Regiment (2/5)
30. A Hat Full of Sky (4/5)
31. Going Postal (4/5)
32. Thud (3/5)

It's interesting you rated Reaper Man so highly and Jingo and the Thief of time relatively low compared to it, because I'd say they are both superior novels.

Reaper Man's "main plot" is pretty awesome, but all the side plot with the shopping malls is pretty bad. You need to read it a few times before you really "get" what's going on and the deeper meaning behind it. Or at least I did and the people I know who read Pratchett did.

Jingo on the other hand is a pretty solid "whodunnit" style murder mystery with plenty of references to real world jingoism (I mean the title in of itself is a clever reference) and explores how Ankh-Morpork is considered one of the most influential places on the planet despite being "just a city". Whereas Thief of Time is an interesting "diversion" from the usual story lines (wizards, watch, witches) that explores the concept of time and history.

I know it's just a matter of opinion but I think they are really good novels and I enjoyed them more than Reaper Man (though I did enjoy Reaper Man).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kitchner posted:

Jingo on the other hand is a pretty solid "whodunnit" style murder mystery with plenty of references to real world jingoism (I mean the title in of itself is a clever reference) and explores how Ankh-Morpork is considered one of the most influential places on the planet despite being "just a city". Whereas Thief of Time is an interesting "diversion" from the usual story lines (wizards, watch, witches) that explores the concept of time and history.

The title of Jingo isn't exactly a clever reference, but the book does have many references that make a lot more sense if you're familiar with Macdermott's War Song.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jingo is a pretty great commentary on racism as well.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kitchner posted:

It's interesting you rated Reaper Man so highly and Jingo and the Thief of time relatively low compared to it, because I'd say they are both superior novels.

Reaper Man's "main plot" is pretty awesome, but all the side plot with the shopping malls is pretty bad. You need to read it a few times before you really "get" what's going on and the deeper meaning behind it. Or at least I did and the people I know who read Pratchett did.

I know it's just a matter of opinion but I think they are really good novels and I enjoyed them more than Reaper Man (though I did enjoy Reaper Man).

I agree with the order Reaper Man > Jingo & Thief of time, except for remembering that I enjoyed J and ToT I didn't really remember them but Reaper Man really struck a chord. You're right that the b-plot is sub par though, just shows how good the main arc is. Pyramids is kindof similar, first half in AM is the most enjoyable discworld book, second half forgettable fun.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Dirty Frank posted:

Reaper Man really struck a chord.

This.

I should have given Jingo a 3, anyway.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Also Mort being a 3/5? Come on. That was some peak Pratchett.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Also Mort being a 3/5? Come on. That was some peak Pratchett.
No it wasn't. Mort's a mess, the pacing is weird, the writing is mediocre. It introduces some cool ideas that Pratchett explores better elsewhere.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Kitchner posted:

It's not that bad, you just gotta stop fretting and enjoy the ride. How often do you get to see the faculty cut loose?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hut hut.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Here we go, bigger.

What is that image even from? Do the pratchetts have some sort of family farm where they raise wooly pigs and brew giant champagne? Either way it's awesome :3:

mastervj posted:

In the unlikely event that anyone on this thread needs to be told to go read him, I've gone back and "scored" all the Discworld books I've read (many times). It's x out of 5, where 1 is "good" and 5 is "best".

You have all these numbers here that are different to 5 and I don't even know what to do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Markovnikov posted:

What is that image even from? Do the pratchetts have some sort of family farm where they raise wooly pigs and brew giant champagne? Either way it's awesome :3:

The man pictured is actually three feet tall.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Markovnikov posted:

What is that image even from? Do the pratchetts have some sort of family farm where they raise wooly pigs

That is what pigs look like if they are not kept in high density factory farms.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Yo!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I made a thing stealing all the awesome things from reddit and various other places, as is the Gods-given right of Internet denizens.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

daggerdragon posted:

I made a thing stealing all the awesome things from reddit and various other places, as is the Gods-given right of Internet denizens.

GNU Terry Pratchett

It's not just Reddit and other places.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

double nine posted:

Has anyone ever read a dutch translation of a discworld book? I 've always read them in English, so I have no point of comparison and I'd like to give them to a few friends whose English skills aren't quite up to par.

I was introduced to Discworld by way of the local library having the books in Dutch many years ago. Read about half the series that way, and the translation is overall pretty decent. A lot of the jokes are reasonably intact, even some of the harder-to-translate ones.

Names are a mess though if you're used to the English ones.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
35% through Monstrous Regiment. I can't decide if I like Sgt. Jackrum or not. He's repulsive, but he's also kind of cool and avuncular to the troop. He seems like a fatter, meaner (but still well-intentioned) Sam Vimes.

Maladict and Igor are the best though.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

35% through Monstrous Regiment. I can't decide if I like Sgt. Jackrum or not. He's repulsive, but he's also kind of cool and avuncular to the troop. He seems like a fatter, meaner (but still well-intentioned) Sam Vimes.

Jackrum is what he has to be to do what needs to be done in the clusterfuck that is that army, maladict is awesome, strappi is annoying in the best way.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

You have all these numbers here that are different to 5 and I don't even know what to do.

That was the challenge!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just read Nation for the first time, and I regret that I hadn't read it before.

It may be his best book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mastervj posted:

Overall, the best are probably Small Gods and Night Watch. The first one can be read on its own, even if having read more Discworld will help appreciate the finer details and the setting. Night Watch really needs some background story on the Guard.

I don't know. The only Discworld book I've read before Night Watch has been Mort and at 89 pages in I feel like I'm "getting" Night Watch and enjoying the poo poo out of it. I'm already upset it'll end eventually.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Night Watch is absolutely superb and is probably the best Discworld book, but it's really even better if you know Sam Vimes going in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hedrigall posted:

<Just look at that mug. What is not to love?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

theshim posted:

Night Watch is absolutely superb and is probably the best Discworld book, but it's really even better if you know Sam Vimes going in.

I can definitely discern that, yes, but even then Vimes is described with the right balance between broad archetype and continuing detail that I felt very comfortable with him right away. I'm not loving Carcer, but I get that's kind-of the point. I'm where Vimes has settled in Dr. Lawn's house and is going on his first patrol as Keel and is feeling pretty drat swell, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but sadly I left it at work. I picked it up solely based off the title as I just started a night shift job and figured the coincidence was serendipity, but that also means I'm not reading it during hours when the Daystar is visible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I just read Nation for the first time, and I regret that I hadn't read it before.

It may be his best book.
It's still Night Watch. If Pratchett could have kept up the quality of the first third through the whole book I'd have given it a Newbury.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always dreaded the day I click on this thread and find out he died.

Godspeed you! amazing person. Must have something in me eye...

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hedrigall posted:

This is the best post.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I can definitely discern that, yes, but even then Vimes is described with the right balance between broad archetype and continuing detail that I felt very comfortable with him right away. I'm not loving Carcer, but I get that's kind-of the point. I'm where Vimes has settled in Dr. Lawn's house and is going on his first patrol as Keel and is feeling pretty drat swell, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but sadly I left it at work. I picked it up solely based off the title as I just started a night shift job and figured the coincidence was serendipity, but that also means I'm not reading it during hours when the Daystar is visible.

Thanks, this is fascinating to me. Night Watch is my favourite Discworld book, but I too would have assumed that it wouldn't have that much appeal to a reader who wasn't already intimately familiar with Vimes' journey and the evolution of Ankh-Morpork over the first 30 books. Please feel free to continue to post your comments; I for one am very interested in your experience of reading it.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know. The only Discworld book I've read before Night Watch has been Mort and at 89 pages in I feel like I'm "getting" Night Watch and enjoying the poo poo out of it. I'm already upset it'll end eventually.

No go with some more Discworlf. Starting with Guards! Guards! and following the Vime's books.

Then go back to reading Nigh Watch.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I remember first reading Jingo as the Iraq War built up and went off and then realizing a few years later that no, Terry wasn't writing about that in particular since he'd have needed a time machine to do that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the JJ posted:

I remember first reading Jingo as the Iraq War built up and went off and then realizing a few years later that no, Terry wasn't writing about that in particular since he'd have needed a time machine to do that.
Only You Can Save Mankind is literally about the Gulf War. Middle-east conflicts were definitely on Pratchett's radar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ConfusedUs posted:

It may be his best book.

When my next paycheck comes in, I'm going to order Nation and Night Watch on amazon and re-read them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mastervj posted:

My personal favorite is usually a somewhat obscure pick, but this thread quotes it in the loving title: Reaper Man.

Glad people like the thread title choice, I agonized over it!

Personally though my favorite Pratchett books, plural, are the Guards series and the Witches books between Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies. I feel like the Death books are too hit-and-miss; even the good ones tend to have entire subplots that just don't seem to work or come together. On the other hand my favorite Pratchett book, singular, is Hogfather. It might just be that for me the Death books need Susan Sto-Helit to really work.

I think Guards, Guards is the best place to start. Anything Pratchett wrote before that, like Equal Rites or Color of Magic, you can tell it was still all piecing together in his head; Guards, Guards seems like the first "mature" Pratchett discworld novel. Anything before that you're not getting the full Discworld experience.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 18, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Yeah. I remember having just discovered that Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams exist, and checking out books by them both in a library. I gave myself at random the options of the Tea-time of the soul, and Sourcery, and went home with Adams, because that beginning hooked me up straightaway, whereas Sourcery not so much... I'm pretty sure I had to watch Going Postal before finally giving Discworld a shot, although then I went from the first one anyway. :shrug: (I might be misremembering, though.)

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
I have a dedicated bookshelf for Terry Pratchett's work, because I decided long ago it was worth buying them in hardcover the instant they were released. I'm going to miss running down to DreamHaven Books every time I'd hear of a new one. If I ever find that poorly framed snapshot the next guy in line at a book signing took of Terry and me, it's going on the shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Only You Can Save Mankind is literally about the Gulf War. Middle-east conflicts were definitely on Pratchett's radar.
Could you elaborate on that? I've read that book about 15 years ago, and I remember nothing but some boy and his video game involving misunderstood aliens and very long space flights.