Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's always funny how posters like the IDF guy only show up when the bombs start dropping....hmmm....

illrepute posted:

The I/P thread during the summer war in Gaza was a knock-down drag-out brawl and I'm glad I got to poo poo all over Kaal and that IDF guy.

Duckbag posted:

Quick guys, start making GBS threads on Sharon again. I want to see an entire page that's just Avshalom posts.

even for an I/P thread these are bad posts, shut up about posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

So we should know the election results by 6pm EST?

No. After the ballots close at 22:00 Israel time the unofficial 'outside the ballots' poll results are released, this is I think 4pm EST, then, tomorrow morning (around your midnight I think) the partial results consisting of about 90% of the ballots being tallied will be published, in two days time the almost-really-final results accounting for 99% of the ballots should be published, then somewhen towards the weekend the really-actually-final results accounting for soldier's and diplomat votes would be released.

The unofficial poll is usually relatively accurate but I personally remember at least one occasion (1996) when the poll predicted a marginal victory for Shimon Peres but by the morning after the actual tally shown that Netanyahu won by quite a few seats.

tl;dr: tomorrow morning Israel time. about 14 hours from now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wait a couple days to release actual numbers so the current prime minister knows where he needs to cook the books.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
While election fraud happens on some level in Israel (deceased citizens have been known to vote on occasion, particularly in the Haredi sector), mass forgery and doctoring of the election results in a way that would actually tip the scales is simply unheard of, for what it's worth the US seems to have a a far more shady track record when it comes to this sort of thing, that kind of tinfoil paranoia is simply misplaced, a couple of days to accurately count several millions of votes does not seem unreasonable to me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's only Tuesday and it's already been a particularly crap week so watching that fat piece of poo poo Netanyahu flounder around trying to save his political career while covered in a thin sheen of racism and flopsweat has been a nice pick-me-up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's only Tuesday and it's already been a particularly crap week so watching that fat piece of poo poo Netanyahu flounder around trying to save his political career while covered in a thin sheen of racism and flopsweat has been a nice pick-me-up.

Thin?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Bye Bye Bibi, I'm gonna miss you so

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
don't worry, your bibi-sitter isn't going anywhere.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
What would netanyahu do if he isn't PM again, would he get a cabinet position or go work as a military lobbyist or something?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It appears as though chickenshit's "The arabs are voting!!" schtick had possibly had a rather negative effect, the voting turnout in Israeli-Palestinian cities is reportedly somewhat lower than it was during the previous elections which seems to defy everybody's expectations, according to MK Ahmed Tibi this is the result of Netanyahu's comments instilling a false sense of complacency among Israeli-Palestinian voters. MK Tibi is calling upon Palestinian citizens to vote immediately, it's too bad no one told him that the best recourse is actually to not vote at all or vote for Netanyahu cause accelerationism and karmic justice or whatever.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

What would netanyahu do if he isn't PM again, would he get a cabinet position or go work as a military lobbyist or something?

If he's not in the governing coalition my understanding is as the head of the largest non-governing party he would be the head of the opposition (unless he resigned or was forced out).

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Really really desperate for that schedenfreude if Tom Cotton and the Republican senate end up bringing down Netanyahu.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4637898,00.html

To the surprise of no one, Likud admits it released a forged tape of Moshe Kahlon (Kulanu) endorsing Bibi.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

evilweasel posted:

If he's not in the governing coalition my understanding is as the head of the largest non-governing party he would be the head of the opposition (unless he resigned or was forced out).

The rumors are that if Netanyahu fails to secure the PM office for another term he'll be ousted by the Likud general assembly with former MK Gideon Saar taking his place, it is actually customary in Israeli politics for a PM who's lost the elections to bow out of the party's leadership for at least one term, I'd say it's very unlikely we'd say Netanyahu as head of the opposition.

JeffersonClay posted:

Really really desperate for that schedenfreude if Tom Cotton and the Republican senate end up bringing down Netanyahu.

The congress address certainly didn't do him any favors but his recent collapse in the polls likely has more to do with his histrionics this past week, particularly the Kahlon tape mentioned by Bear Retrieval Unit could have tipped the scales against him, it was a very dumb move.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
"Right-wing rule is in danger. Arab voters are streaming in huge quantities to the polling stations,” Mr. Netanyahu said in the video. “The left-wing nonprofit organizations are bringing them in buses.”"

So openly racist even the NYT is calling him on it.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/world/middleeast/netanyahu-israel-elections-arabs.html?_r=0&referrer=

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Netanyahu tried to make a live televised statement today but the Central Elections Committee banned him from doing so. He must really be desperate.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/israel-elections-vote-results/netanyahu-expected-to-make-a-statement/

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

He really does act like a loving small-town mayor.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ultramega posted:

He really does act like a loving small-town mayor.

The entire country has less than the population of NYC, so while he's not so much a small-town mayor he is basically a big-town mayor.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Xandu posted:

"Right-wing rule is in danger. Arab voters are streaming in huge quantities to the polling stations,” Mr. Netanyahu said in the video. “The left-wing nonprofit organizations are bringing them in buses.”"

So openly racist even the NYT is calling him on it.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/world/middleeast/netanyahu-israel-elections-arabs.html?_r=0&referrer=

Imagine an American politician acting publicly alarmed at black voter turnout

oh wait

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

bencreateddisco posted:

Imagine an American politician acting publicly alarmed at black voter turnout

oh wait

Yeah American conservatives say that very thing about buses pretty much every election

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.cna.org/sites/default/files/research/DRM-2013-U-004480-Final2.pdf

Just gonna drop this here.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Voter turnout at 65% right meow.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anshel Pfeffer predicts that tomorrow we will have 2 victory speeches and no coalition.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

The entire country has less than the population of NYC, so while he's not so much a small-town mayor he is basically a big-town mayor.

This reminds me of a comment Noam Chomsky said in a debate with Alan Dershowitz, something to the effect of "The jews don't need a second homeland, they already have New York City."

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 17, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

evilweasel posted:

Except that Israel is significantly larger, and is an independent state with, among other things, it's own army. So he's actually nothing like a big-town mayor.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Main Paineframe posted:

Netanyahu tried to make a live televised statement today but the Central Elections Committee banned him from doing so. He must really be desperate.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/israel-elections-vote-results/netanyahu-expected-to-make-a-statement/

"Salim Joubran, a judge on the Supreme Court of Israel"

Yet another Arab conspiracy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Who the gently caress is ahead right now.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Except that Israel is significantly larger, and is an independent state with, among other things, it's own army. So he's actually nothing like a big-town mayor.

Yeah, I would say he's more like the PM of a small country. You terrible analogy using fucks.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The ballots are open for another half an hour, there are no results yet.

Blatzmobile
Nov 1, 2012

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Torrannor posted:

Apparently, you never heard of Frank Rizzo.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Exit polls when?!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Exit polls when?!

Exit poll Ch 2: Likud 28 ZU 27 Arab list 13 Lapid 12 Kahlon 9 Bennett 8 Shas 7 UTJ 6 Lieberman 5 Meretz 5 Yachad 0

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Exit polls when?!
Channel 1 exit poll:

Likud 27
Zionist Camp 27
JAL 12
Yesh Atid 12
Kulanu 10
Jewish Home 9
Shas 7
United Torah 6
Meretz 5
Yisrael Beitenu 5
Yachad 0
(all others zero)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well poop.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Exit poll Ch 2: Likud 28 ZU 27 Arab list 13 Lapid 12 Kahlon 9 Bennett 8 Shas 7 UTJ 6 Lieberman 5 Meretz 5 Yachad 0

Channel 1 Likud 27 ZU 27 TJL 12 YA 12 Kulanu 10 BY 9 Shas 7 UTJ 6 Meretz 5 YB 5

edit: nvm, this is the one al hazred posted.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Long night ahead, huh?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OK what does all that mean for those of us paying only passing attention? The two major parties I know, but where do the others fall on the scale, who's likely to form a coalition with who, that sort of thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Channel 10 Results:

Likud 27
Zionist Camp 27
Joint List 13
Yesh Atid 11
Kulanu 8
Jewish Home 8
Shas 7
UTJ 7
Yisrael Beitenu 5
Meretz 5
Yachad 0.

Keep in mind that none of those includes anyone voting after 8PM, and this isn't a count, but an exit poll. There may also be additional soldiers` and diplomats` votes which may move things around as it seems that three parties are on the brink.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

OK what does all that mean for those of us paying only passing attention? The two major parties I know, but where do the others fall on the scale, who's likely to form a coalition with who, that sort of thing.

Here's the anti-Netanyahu crowd in Rabin square all shut the gently caress up, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Netenyahu has a much easier path to a coalition than the Zionist Camp, so if he actually tied with them he's probably going to remain PM.

• Locked thread