Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm surprised that nobody's yet mentioned that the 2015 Knesset Elections are today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Muffiner posted:

Sandwichet Ghawwar: you go to buy a steak sandwich. You get sold a steak sandwich. Unbeknownst to you, the vendor has tied the steak in the sandwich to a string, and yoinks out the steak just as you take the first bite out of the sandwich, reselling it in another 'steak sandwich' to the next trusting schmuch to come along.

I don't know if you were just explaining it to people who hadn't heard of it, but if you imagine chemical weapons with a string wrapped around them, it fits given how the "disarmament" deal went down.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

I'm surprised that nobody's yet mentioned that the 2015 Knesset Elections are today.

There's an I/P thread devoted to it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Grouchio posted:

why should people care? it's a rotating chair of racists and the next huge massacre/war/oppression will follow no matter who's in charge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that's the other problem: in reality it's going to be about how far to the right the government will be. Even the marginalized leftist parties aren't all that keen on liking the Palestinians.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Well because the european catholic powers spent a few century starting wars against them and massacring the smaller sects (i mean read about the waldesians), the protestant people who stayed weren't really encouraged to go into splinter mode.

That, and also because Protestant states would regularly violently suppress the 'wrong' kind of Protestant, particularly Anabaptists and Unitarians. Calvin at the very least allowed the Geneva city council to execute several of his theological opponents for heresy. Even Lutherans and Calvinists barely managed to tolerate each other after the first stages of the Reformation.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that's the other problem: in reality it's going to be about how far to the right the government will be. Even the marginalized leftist parties aren't all that keen on liking the Palestinians.

But it's a little more interesting now that bibi guaranteed no 2 state negotiations if re-elected. Not that he was the least bit keen on it before, but at least gave lip service to the idea.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phlegmish posted:

That, and also because Protestant states would regularly violently suppress the 'wrong' kind of Protestant, particularly Anabaptists and Unitarians. Calvin at the very least allowed the Geneva city council to execute several of his theological opponents for heresy. Even Lutherans and Calvinists barely managed to tolerate each other after the first stages of the Reformation.

Cuius regio, eius religio!

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

why should people care? it's a rotating chair of racists and the next huge massacre/war/oppression will follow no matter who's in charge.

On the other hand, there's a prime chance that someone who won't literally cause world war 3 might be elected.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

quote:

Palestinians in Ramallah Expect Little to Change, Whoever Wins
RAMALLAH, West Bank — Elections in Israel? Abu Ahmad shrugs.
by Diaa Hadid

“They are all the same,” he said as he waited for passengers to board the bus he drives for a $2.30 ride to Aboud, a village 31 miles away.

“Likud, Labor, Yisrael Beiteinu — all of them work for Israel, not for the Arabs,” said Mr. Abu Ahmad, 63, echoing a popular refrain among Palestinians.

He said he did not think Israel’s policies toward Palestinians would change, regardless of whether a center-left or right-wing coalition came to power. And he said he would not welcome new peace talks, because the negotiations that have already been held, on and off since 1993, have not made Palestinians any better off; rather the opposite.

“Remember the days of Peres and Rabin?” he said, jabbing his nearly extinguished cigarette in the air for emphasis, referring to two left-wing Israeli leaders of the past. “What they did for us? They only made promises, and we got nothing but poverty.”

A passenger nodded in agreement. Another, leaning on the door, counted on his fingers the four Israeli settlements that have been built around Aboud, a process that continued regardless of which party was in power.
In a nearby shop selling traditional Palestinian embroidery, the shopkeeper, Sana al-Maridi, was just as cynical in her outlook. “An ugly face, a pretty face — underneath, they are all ugly,” Ms. Maridi, 52, said of the Israeli left and right, as a college student tried to bargain down the price of a $19.90 clutch to $12.50.

“You say, maybe if the left came to power, it would be better,” she said. “But under that ‘maybe’ we had Oslo,” an allusion to the Oslo peace accords of 1993 and 1995. “And they destroyed us for 20 years.”

Some Palestinians see the election of a conservative Israeli government as in their interest, if only to increase international pressure against its occupation.

“I think there is a significant minority of Palestinians who think that the Labor Party gives a pretty face, a deceiving face, of Israel,” said Ghassan Khatib, vice president of Birzeit University outside Ramallah. “But Likud shows its real face.”

In an electronics shop selling colorful, cheap smartphone covers and portable speakers, a 29-year-old salesman named Mohammed said he had not given the elections much thought, though he suspected the outcome would somehow affect his life.

Asked how he felt about the fact that Israelis in the Jewish settlements surrounding Ramallah were allowed to vote in the election, but the Palestinians inside the city could not, Mohammed smiled. “That’s the policy of the occupiers,” he said.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

On the other hand, there's a prime chance that someone who won't literally cause world war 3 might be elected.

Golda Meir, one of those fake-pretend 'leftists', was perfectly willing to use nuclear weapons to maintain their occupation of the Sinai unless America came to their rescue, so there's not much difference when it comes to that probability.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 17, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spacetoaster posted:

I don't see why people think baptists are an American thing. Germany is full of evangelical baptists.

I think baptists that are either incredibly awesome people or incredibly lovely people with no middle ground are uniquely American.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Another day of mysterious closures and paranoia here in Ash Sharqiyah. Stormy weather isn't helping the mood.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Fairly passive posted:

Another day of mysterious closures and paranoia here in Ash Sharqiyah. Stormy weather isn't helping the mood.

dude can you be more specific about the 'paranoia'? nobody's mentioned anything to me yet.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be

Al-Saqr posted:

dude can you be more specific about the 'paranoia'? nobody's mentioned anything to me yet.

Some of my fellow westerners seem a little nervous, what with the various closures. Some old-hands have said that the situation is making them think of leaving sooner rather than later.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some new photos from Caesar's archive of torture were released. First woman of the bunch, as well as what appear to be some kids. Late teens at most. Hard to tell through the malnourishment.

:nms: obviously.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CATxwnGU0AE7xhi.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CATx07OU8AAEK_8.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CATx1UuUQAAWHn-.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CATx0l-UkAEm0Y0.jpg

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

quote:

RAMALLAH, West Bank — Elections in Israel? Abu Ahmad shrugs.
by Diaa Hadid

“They are all the same,” he said as he waited for passengers to board the bus he drives for a $2.30 ride to Aboud, a village 31 miles away.

“Likud, Labor, Yisrael Beiteinu — all of them work for Israel, not for the Arabs,” said Mr. Abu Ahmad, 63, echoing a popular refrain among Palestinians.

He said he did not think Israel’s policies toward Palestinians would change, regardless of whether a center-left or right-wing coalition came to power. And he said he would not welcome new peace talks, because the negotiations that have already been held, on and off since 1993, have not made Palestinians any better off; rather the opposite.

“Remember the days of Peres and Rabin?” he said, jabbing his nearly extinguished cigarette in the air for emphasis, referring to two left-wing Israeli leaders of the past. “What they did for us? They only made promises, and we got nothing but poverty.”

A passenger nodded in agreement. Another, leaning on the door, counted on his fingers the four Israeli settlements that have been built around Aboud, a process that continued regardless of which party was in power.
In a nearby shop selling traditional Palestinian embroidery, the shopkeeper, Sana al-Maridi, was just as cynical in her outlook. “An ugly face, a pretty face — underneath, they are all ugly,” Ms. Maridi, 52, said of the Israeli left and right, as a college student tried to bargain down the price of a $19.90 clutch to $12.50.

“You say, maybe if the left came to power, it would be better,” she said. “But under that ‘maybe’ we had Oslo,” an allusion to the Oslo peace accords of 1993 and 1995. “And they destroyed us for 20 years.”

Some Palestinians see the election of a conservative Israeli government as in their interest, if only to increase international pressure against its occupation.

“I think there is a significant minority of Palestinians who think that the Labor Party gives a pretty face, a deceiving face, of Israel,” said Ghassan Khatib, vice president of Birzeit University outside Ramallah. “But Likud shows its real face.”

In an electronics shop selling colorful, cheap smartphone covers and portable speakers, a 29-year-old salesman named Mohammed said he had not given the elections much thought, though he suspected the outcome would somehow affect his life.

Asked how he felt about the fact that Israelis in the Jewish settlements surrounding Ramallah were allowed to vote in the election, but the Palestinians inside the city could not, Mohammed smiled. “That’s the policy of the occupiers,” he said.

No no, people told us we weren't listening To The People when I said Palestinians know the "left" isn't any better.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 17, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

No no, people told us we weren't listening To The People when I said Palestinians know the "left" isn't any better.
[/quote]

You can respond to my arguments directly and see how that aren't invalidated by anything said here, though I could see how it's more convenient to make these sort of statements in a different thread instead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reuters posted:

Syria's state news agency SANA said on Tuesday its air defenses brought down a U.S. surveillance plane in the coastal province of Latakia.

"Syrian air defenses brought down a hostile U.S. surveillance plane in northern Latakia," SANA said in a bulletin, without giving further details.

It was the first such incident since the U.S.-led coalition began carrying out air strikes against the hardline militant Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria last summer.

Sooo... Now that Syria has officially opened hostilities against the coalition, will there be retaliations against the regime's forces?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Sooo... Now that Syria has officially opened hostilities against the coalition, will there be retaliations against the regime's forces?

Drones (if that what the plane was) are still in a kind of mystery grey area where it doesn't automatically mean a state of war. does it? I mean the Iranians managed to bag a pretty important and advanced drone but that didn't cause an incident.

if it was Piloted however then I'm not sure, but I think they'll look the other way.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well to be fair the result of this incident today will also be Iran getting a U.S. drone, or at least the wreckage of one. I wouldn't be stunned if this was a polite but firm message to remind the U.S. of how the relationship works.

Xipe Totec
Jan 27, 2006

by Ralp

Cat Mattress posted:

If I shoot down your military aircraft bombing my country, this is me 'opening hositilities' towards you?

The way you guys speak is really weird to someone not immersed in propaganda 24/7

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xipe Totec posted:

If I shoot down your military aircraft bombing my country, this is me 'opening hositilities' towards you?

The way you guys speak is really weird to someone not immersed in propaganda 24/7

Islamic State territory hasn't been Syria for 4 years. :eng101:

Xipe Totec
Jan 27, 2006

by Ralp

Al-Saqr posted:

uhhh, no?

the gulf played a key role in the region by financing the fight against nationalism, secularism, leftism, communism, in the cold war, bankrolling an eternal war against Iran in the 80's, spreading the most reactionary and lovely interpretation of islam that's super subservient to dictators yet also super obscurantist and socially silly, who happily bankroll the destruction of the only shot the arab world ever had at democracy, bankrolling military regimes to kill democracy, monopolizing the entire media of the arab world to ensure no pesky 'free thought' takes root, propping up the western arms industry by buying weapons their too incompetent to use except internally, etc.

Israel is the aircraft carrier, while the gulf is the banking arm of oppression in the middle east. utterly indispensable for western interests in the fight to keep the Arab world backwards and in ruin.

if I were the west I wouldn't even dream of having a better ally.

what would you think about broadening the BDS campaign towards both israel and saudi arabia?

Vijay Prashad mentioned off-hand this while during a talk giving a historical explanation for the way things are in the middle east today

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xipe Totec posted:

The drone in question was apparently a surveillance plane, not a bomber.

Nevertheless, my understanding of the situation wrt. airstrikes in Syria was that the coalition would only attack Daesh (and other terrorist groups like JaN) and leave the regime alone as long as the regime did not hamper these operations. So Syria boasting through its national news agency about shooting down a US drone seems like breaking this unwritten agreement.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You can respond to my arguments directly and see how that aren't invalidated by anything said here, though I could see how it's more convenient to make these sort of statements in a different thread instead.

I am sorry, I thought it was this thread. Explains why I couldn't find the exact quote.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 18, 2015

Xipe Totec
Jan 27, 2006

by Ralp

Cat Mattress posted:

The drone in question was apparently a surveillance plane, not a bomber.

Nevertheless, my understanding of the situation wrt. airstrikes in Syria was that the coalition would only attack Daesh (and other terrorist groups like JaN) and leave the regime alone as long as the regime did not hamper these operations. So Syria boasting through its national news agency about shooting down a US drone seems like breaking this unwritten agreement.

yeah, again such 'understanding' only makes sense to others immersed in the same 'thinking' as you (such as this forum)

to people outside of this it looks weird, especially your enthusiasm for more violence from The Coalition

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xipe Totec posted:

yeah, again such 'understanding' only makes sense to others immersed in the same 'thinking' as you (such as this forum)

to people outside of this it looks weird, especially your enthusiasm for more violence from The Coalition

Assad's biggest criticism of the US during this whole thing has been that they aren't "really" committed to fighting terrorism. The regime doesn't care the coalition is bombing ISIS in Syria. They care that the coalition isn't carpet bombing anyone who doesn't live in the right parts of Syria while praising Assad for his restraint and just leadership, as well as his glorious efforts to fight global terrorism.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I can't imagine Syria making it through this whole conflict either as an intact state with its present borders or with Assad still alive.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Drones (if that what the plane was) are still in a kind of mystery grey area where it doesn't automatically mean a state of war. does it? I mean the Iranians managed to bag a pretty important and advanced drone but that didn't cause an incident.

if it was Piloted however then I'm not sure, but I think they'll look the other way.

Looks like it was a drone, which is probably pretty "fine" since while they aren't the cheapest things, there's no dead or captured American to turn into a full on incident. This is part of why drones are so great, it allows a lot of flexibility in diplomatic and military options.

If it was a piloted aircraft, about the only proper response would be to blow away a few SAA installations in exchange (though honestly I wouldn't complain about that).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Xipe Totec posted:

Your insinuation that shooting down a surveillance plane only seems strange in a propaganda-soaked echo-chamber is provocative, but not very grounded. If you're going to accuse people of not being able to see something because they're blinded by propaganda and bloodlust you have to then try and explain it.

When there were reports of regime forces getting into skirmishes with Kurds was your reaction "of course, the Kurds are acting as rebels by not swearing their allegiance to the rightful government in Damascus, why shouldn't regime forces try to put down their implicit uprising"? Because the more natural reaction would be to wonder why the regime would provoke a group that's currently neutral into fighting them when their forces are already stretched thin. Similarly, whether or not Syria's regime has the right to attack Coalition forces flying in their airspace, picking a fight with the Coalition seems unwise when they're currently attacking an enemy of the regime - it's just bad strategy, and the "understanding" isn't a bloody-minded Imperial construct it's the classic "the enemy of my enemy is my friend, or at least someone I should leave alone until my enemies get tired of beating on each other".

We'd probably react exactly the same way if the opposition rebels attacked the Kurds or hell if ISIS launched another attack into Lebanon.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

At this point, I'm not sure it even makes sense to refer to the Assad government as "Syria's Regime." Syria has at least four or five regimes at the moment.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Somehow I feel Germans would understand baptists considering what happened in Munster.

Those were Anabaptists, not Baptists. It's confusing, I know.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think the Iraqi military is finally using those Mi-28s they bought from Russia. Towards the end of this video of fighting in Tikrit you can see an attack helicopter and while its hard to see Im pretty sure its a Havok:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_TAJFjh2fs

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Islamic State territory hasn't been Syria for 4 years. :eng101:

Latakia is pretty firmly in the hands of the regime if I'm not mistaken. But it's definitely not ISIS territory.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Xipe Totec posted:

Yeah, as though the Syrian government, which still has near total air superiority despite four years of civil war, somehow didn't have the opportunity or means to bomb the well-flagged IS positions in Aleppo, Raqqa or Deir ez-Zour before the US and even a "coalition" of useless Gulf Arab air forces had to do it.

In a just world, Assad's presidential palace would have had a dozen JDAMs through the roof at the same time the headquarters of Al-Khilafah got the same. The latter couldn't have flourished without the former:

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Yeah it's pretty obvious that the Syrian regime is going to keep up its non-aggression pact with ISIS and let them gobble up all the other rebel units until there's nothing but ISIS left.

Also they're still dropping chemical weapons on civilians. Chlorine bombs killed 6 and injured scores in Sarmin last night. 3 of the dead were infants.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e759_story.html

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

In this Rolling Stone article near the bottom, an Asaib militia commander is being interviewed and he admits that their standard operating procedure is to kill every Sunni man in every town they retake.

quote:

For Maher, the fight is an existential one against an enemy whose brutality justifies the harshest tactics. Aware of what would befall them if they were captured, his militia routinely executes prisoners. "The hardcore ones, we kill. What else can we do?" he says. Any Sunnis who remain in the area meet the same fate. "We treat them like Daesh. Either they leave their houses and flee, or they're killed in the fight."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/inside-baghdads-brutal-battle-against-isis-20150313#ixzz3UiYVkwGG

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
The drone was shot down last night over or near Lattakia, there are some images of it after it got hit on social media. Haven't seen any images of the wreckage though.
Lattakia is a regime stronghold, so the drone there had nothing to do with coalition operations unless it got shot down on its way to or from a surveillance mission. This is probably the regime saying "don't overstep the boundaries of our agreement" to the US, or it could have something to do with the renewed CW campaign going on between Hama and Aleppo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
Some images of the drone that was downed have appeared, it is a predator that took off from Incirlik according to Hurriyet. Album is here.

Zaman Al Wasl has found some images of pro-regime detainees who have been tortured to death among the Caesar images.

• Locked thread