Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Maybe Hillary will take him down a notch in 2017.

And maybe Santa Claus will teach him the true meaning of Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I would be delighted to one day tell the children how I lived to see the US president tell the PM to gently caress off.
One can only hope.

E: ^^^^ yup.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If the Palestinians vote for Hamas it proves they are uninterested in peace and not worth brokering with.

If the Israelis vote for Likud...

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ahahaha no....

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

I don't see us voting against Israel in the UN. If it's anything other than business as usual in public, I will be legitimately shocked. Anything uncivil or hostile won't reach the public.

We don't have to vote against them at the UN, we just have to not keep using our veto as a permanent security council member to cover their rear end which I think would be in the realm of possibility now.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:lol: Hillary is more pro Israel than Obama.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

And maybe Santa Claus will teach him the true meaning of Christmas.

And Hamas will change its charter to recognize the right of Israel to exist.

Clinton will have to deal with the mess of Obama's faltering relation with the Jewish base of the Democratic party. The way to do so is by allowing Israel a leadership role in levantine security policy, while making strides to renew the relation through distancing herself from her Turkish connections.

Translation: Expect Clinton to recognize settlements are essential to Israeli security policy, to recognize the Armenian Genocide, and to call for three-state accords with freezes on Palestinian funding/foreign accounts until they are willing to come to her table.

Of course, there's a better-than-50% that Jeb wins '16, in which case you should probably accept the reality of the situation and propose a compromise workable to both of the major stakeholders in Israeli security, that is, Israel and America.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

We don't have to vote against them at the UN, we just have to not keep using our veto as a permanent security council member to cover their rear end which I think would be in the realm of possibility now.

I suppose anything is possible, but not using our veto is the same as a vote against at the end of the day. And the domestic blowback would be severe.

It would take an Obama who was truly and completely bereft of fucks to do something like that, which I just don't see. But I've been wrong plenty.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How can Netanyahu even go on governing after saying he will 100% guarantee no Palestinian state under his tenure? That's, um, a lot to answer for, internationally.

The amount of pressure Obama can exert on Israel with a pro-Israel majority in both houses of Congress is limited. Although Netanyahu's speech has hurt his standing significantly with Congressional Democrats, the Republicans rule the roost. Executive authority allows him some leeway, but he needs a majority in Congress if he wants to dismantle much of the pro-Israel law built up over the decades. For example, there's the Palestinian Anti-Terrorism Act of 2006, which explicitly bans the federal government from negotiating with Hamas, PFLP, and several other Palestinian groups, automatically halts aid to the PA if Hamas gains any real influence in it, and so on.

Besides, honestly, I can't see the US taking much real action against Israel. We might cut back on our support for Israel, but it's not like the IDF occupation is going to lose against Hamas fighters just because we stop giving Israel a discount on fighter jets, or anything like that. And it's not like the Security Council is going to order a UN invasion of Israel if we stop vetoing, or anything silly like that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The president (not PM) declared that he'll try to assemble a union government from the Likud+Zionist camp.
Probably a pipe dream.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The president (not PM) declared that he'll try to assemble a union government from the Likud+Zionist camp.
Probably a pipe dream.

I dunno, election's over, wouldn't an impure coalition without Bibi be better than an idealogically pure opposition to Bibi?

Now's probably the most challenging time Bibi faces, one where the ambitious of his party understand that they can get so much further for themselves with him gone.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been an Israeli adaption of 'House of Cards'? That would be a good watch.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'd like nothing better than an anti Bibi coalition but that's probably not gonna happen.

See you all again for election in two years time.:coal:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No this one will last. Possibly full term.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

McDowell posted:

Has there been an Israeli adaption of 'House of Cards'? That would be a good watch.

A show about a cabal of Jews murdering their political enemies, controlling the government from the shadows, and using natural disasters / terrorist attacks for their own gain? They already made a documentary about it. Google "Loose Change."

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Welp. Just stopped in to say how loving disappointed I am with the results. Just like everyone else. When will we have the actual recommendations down from the parties (not that it's gonna be a surprise)?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A show about a cabal of Jews murdering their political enemies, controlling the government from the shadows, and using natural disasters / terrorist attacks for their own gain? They already made a documentary about it. Google "Loose Change."

Jet Fuel can't melt steel memes.

In 2004 didn't the rest of the world wonder 'are the Americans crazy?'

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Hamas should give up shooting IDF soldiers and instead play tag with them and watch IDF kill their own because Hannibal Protocol.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

Jet Fuel can't melt steel memes.

In 2004 didn't the rest of the world wonder 'are the Americans crazy?'

Off by 4 years. Which direction depends on your party affiliation.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Miftan posted:

Welp. Just stopped in to say how loving disappointed I am with the results. Just like everyone else.

Basically came in here to say the same thing. Hopefully the exit polls are garbage and the actual results are better.

I probably don't need more reminders to get the gently caress out of here.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Job Truniht posted:

Hamas should give up shooting IDF soldiers and instead play tag with them and watch IDF kill their own because Hannibal Protocol.

As long as they don't play on the beach.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

McDowell posted:

We don't read the Bible - we write it.

We don't adapt your shows - you adapt ours.

I really didn't (or shouldn't) have expected things to work out differently. At least Yachad is dead, I suppose.

Edit: vvvvvv

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, fellow Isradudes, post your vote. I voted Joint Arab List.
Shas, obviously. Let us bring back the former glory!

quote:

What do you think about Tyrant?
I don't.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 17, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

We don't adapt your shows - you adapt ours.

What do you think about Tyrant?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The best case scenario is that Netanyahu has done irrepairable diplomatic damage the past two days and that there will be significant sanctions taken by the EU and possibly by Obama, two-state solution has been the credo of the american administration for over twenty years, even AIPAC might not be able to block the tide now if Obama and Europe openly brand Netanyahu's Israel as a 'peace refuser'.

We'll see, there's still some measure of hope that the real results might lean more positively.

Not a chance. The army's (and diplomats') votes that have yet to be counted always lean to the right. Our only chance is a union government which will last two years and then we go to yet another mad scramble.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

Not a chance. The soldiers' (and diplomats') votes that have yet to be counted always lean to the right.

I'm actually technically one of the 'diplomat' votes and in my very specific and small environment there is a slight lean to the left, so you never know. I didn't get to vote this year because I was in Israel when the voting was going on here, and back here when the voting was going on in Israel. Kind of blows, but really it would've been between Meretz and Joint List and they both did as well as I could've hoped.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Meretz. Last time there were less than 10 people who voted for them in my district.

gently caress my life/district/city/country.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Miftan posted:

Welp. Just stopped in to say how loving disappointed I am with the results. Just like everyone else. When will we have the actual recommendations down from the parties (not that it's gonna be a surprise)?

Sorry man. :(

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Real time voting map: http://z.ynet.co.il/short/content/2015/elections_map2015/

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Why is anyone surprised that a racist and violent society voted for a racist and violent candidate, or that his popularity increased when he stepped up his level of racism and violent rhetoric?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Why is anyone surprised that a racist and violent society voted for a racist and violent candidate, or that his popularity increased when he stepped up his level of racism and violent rhetoric?

I think a lot of us were hoping that his panicky flailing was an indication that there has been at least a tangible loss of confidence in him among his own constituents, but I guess that was wishful thinking. I wonder how the final tally will look, though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Dunno why I'm bothering to bite on this obvious trollbait, but yeah, I wasn't astonished in the slightest when Americans voted for another four years of killing in the Middle East in 2004 either.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Meretz here as well, at least I live in an area that was predominantly non-Likud last time.

Heck, Meretz even got like 10% of the vote or something in the neighborhood last time!

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

:eyepop: Wow, Avshalom, I really love the stuff a few pages back. Your craft has really evolved.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Miftan posted:

I'm actually technically one of the 'diplomat' votes and in my very specific and small environment there is a slight lean to the left, so you never know. I didn't get to vote this year because I was in Israel when the voting was going on here, and back here when the voting was going on in Israel. Kind of blows, but really it would've been between Meretz and Joint List and they both did as well as I could've hoped.

Well, there's a reason why I put you guys in parentheses. ;) You're minuscule compared to the number of soldiers voting and the IDF is really loving right leaning.

EDIT: Shout out to all my Meretz bros. We made it in at least!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doflamingo posted:

Well, there's a reason why I put you guys in parentheses. ;) You're minuscule compared to the number of soldiers voting and the IDF is really loving right leaning.

The IDF is the most moral army in the world by definition, therefore what it does is the most moral by definition, therefore it makes sense to vote for a political party that embodies the values expressed by the actions of this army, for these are all honorable servicemen. :smith:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did you actually go back just to vote? That is some dedication.

About the diplomat votes. Most of them aren't even diplomats. There's a load of people that technically are employed by the government but aren't really, so they get to vote while overseas. Not shockingly, a lot of these people are people who are trying to leave the country (cough cough) so they're very left leaning. The actual diplomats are mostly self righteous dickheads (anecdotal) so they probably voted for the self righteous dickhead who gave them their job.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Today is one of those days where it sucks more than usual to be Barack Obama.

Why? Pages back, but why?

Bibi showed all his cards in his speech to US congress in his one great omission - Israel is not willing to commit to open war with Iran. (in spite of the terrible global threat of nuclear Iran that they want to impress on the global community)

Obama gets to cruise the rest of his term. Israel ain't starting any major poo poo, and the US isn't going to proxy-war for them in Iran like they did in Iraq.
No go-nowhere dog-and-pony-show peace talks either. He can focus on other, more productive things.

For Obama, Israel is back-burnered for the remainder of his time in office. And the international community will stew for that time.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Doflamingo posted:

EDIT: Shout out to all my Meretz bros. We made it in at least!
Congrats to all of you guys/gals for voting. You did your part and tried your damnedest, have no regrets.

Do It Once Right posted:

Why? Pages back, but why?

Bibi showed all his cards in his speech to US congress in his one great omission - Israel is not willing to commit to open war with Iran. (in spite of the terrible global threat of nuclear Iran that they want to impress on the global community)

Obama gets to cruise the rest of his term. Israel ain't starting any major poo poo, and the US isn't going to proxy-war for them in Iran like they did in Iraq.
No go-nowhere dog-and-pony-show peace talks either. He can focus on other, more productive things.

For Obama, Israel is back-burnered for the remainder of his time in office. And the international community will stew for that time.
Obama hates Bibi, and now has to deal with him for the rest of 2015 and 2016 rather than having a nice, mostly clean "reset" with a Zionist Union coalition.

Also Bibi has done (even more) possibly irreparable damage to the US-Israeli relationship by explicitly saying "no 2-state solution". The US has had the "2-state solution" line as official policy for decades, even if it was mostly just lip service. Now Bibi has officially torched the idea, and the US can't really pretend he said otherwise. Bibi could do a 180 shortly, but I don't think he's going to.

Also the Iran deal is still in talks, and Bibi's victory might be the last, spiteful push needed to come to a deal with Iran. "Fine, you guys want that fucker Bibi so much? Well then enjoy our new deal with Iran that you assholes tried so loving hard to tank."

Main Paineframe posted:

Besides, honestly, I can't see the US taking much real action against Israel. We might cut back on our support for Israel, but it's not like the IDF occupation is going to lose against Hamas fighters just because we stop giving Israel a discount on fighter jets, or anything like that. And it's not like the Security Council is going to order a UN invasion of Israel if we stop vetoing, or anything silly like that.

A Winner is Jew posted:

This honestly the thing I'm really hoping will happen in the next 2 years. The US will not go anti-Israel, but I'm really, really hoping that the next time something UN-related happens the US just abstains from voting, and Israel finally gets to feel what happens when they don't have the US shielding them from the consequences of their actions.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 17, 2015

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bibi's victory speech starting now.

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4638165,00.html - If you speak hebrew and want to watch.

e: looking smug there, bibi

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Imaginary GF posted:

through distancing herself from her Turkish connections.

What on earth is your problem with Turkey? Is one of your major contacts Armenian and you're just staying in practice? Not that Erdogan isn't a bit of a fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Bibi for another few years? I wonder if the Palestinian Authority is gonna collapse on his watch. He's increasingly hostile towards it, Abbas really seems ready to throw his hands up and walk away/retire, and the organization increasingly lacks legitimacy among the Palestinians themselves.

• Locked thread