Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerox
May 20, 2001
I moved from an iphone to a galaxy note a few months back. I am running textra and often when I try to text people, the text just immediately fails to that person, but I can still text to others fine. Is this a verizon problem, android problem, or textra problem?

The people I am texting are on all diffrent kinds of phones, most are verizon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

axeil posted:

:stare: I found it and this is the longest explanation I have ever seen. Good god.

Is posting the actual method verboten on here or something?

Not many people on here have unlimited still so it's just not discussed much. I figured those slickdeals.net dudes would have figured out every aspect of the loophole

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

axeil posted:

:stare: I found it and this is the longest explanation I have ever seen. Good god.

Is posting the actual method verboten on here or something?

From what I gather, it takes advantage of the fact that turning on the phone with the included new SIM will complete the order and switch your data plan to metered.

1. Order phone online from Best Buy. Do not buy it in store, the loophole involves not activating the included SIM, which a store clerk will do if you buy in person.
2. When the phone arrives, do not power it on.
3. Remove the SIM from the new phone. Cut it up so it never gets used.
4. Take the SIM from your old phone, put it in the new one.

Now the question is what happens if someone later down the line sees an open order on your account, it seems like this'd be an easy thing for them to audit and kill your plan off later. But people have been doing this for months, as evidenced by the million page slickdeal thread.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
My phone is currently on my employer's corporate paid plan, and I tend to use 3 - 5 GB / month, especially in the summer when I'm more mobile. My wife currently has 450 minutes / unlimited data, but here data usage is generally under 1GB / month. I might be switching off of my employer's plan, and want to merge our accounts. Keeping unlimited isn't critical, but I'd want at least 4 GB / shared

There used to be an incentive to get people to switch off of unlimited, does that still exist? Are there any loyalty plans that I could ask for that would maximize data and minimize the cost? From the website, I guess a More Everything plan makes sense, but I'm not sure. The prices quoted have Edge discounts, and I don't think we're eligible for that (still on 2 year commitments).

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I wasn't sure where to go for this question, but I'll give this a shot:

I have an old Casio G'zOne Ravine I've had to switch to because my previous phone broke. I've noticed that from time to time, the title of text will appear, but when I open said text, it simply says [PAGE]. I tried googling around and couldn't come up with much.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Hey all

Currently in the process of buying a house. The town I live in is 95% verizon coverage or really, nothing. Most all other providers suck EXCEPT OF COURSE in the location of the house were buying, its all AT&T and verizon barely pulls a signal. Is there any special way I can convince verizon to hook me up with a signal booster so I don't have to cancel? I don't want to trade crap service at home for great service at home/crap in town. Dunno if they do this to avoid cancellations or anything. Thanks everyone, and my apologies if this is in some way a dumbass question.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

pass the butter posted:

Hey all

Currently in the process of buying a house. The town I live in is 95% verizon coverage or really, nothing. Most all other providers suck EXCEPT OF COURSE in the location of the house were buying, its all AT&T and verizon barely pulls a signal. Is there any special way I can convince verizon to hook me up with a signal booster so I don't have to cancel? I don't want to trade crap service at home for great service at home/crap in town. Dunno if they do this to avoid cancellations or anything. Thanks everyone, and my apologies if this is in some way a dumbass question.
There is an existing offer if you are considering disconnecting service due to coverage issues to get you $75 off the normally $250 network extender. Tech support may need to send someone from the Network Repair Bureau out to wave some antennas around to validate marginal coverage.

Getting it 100% free or discounted further is possible but not standard procedure. Discounting beyond existing offers is kept to a strict minimum and would be a management decision. Tenure with the company, good payment history and how many lines / how much you spend would factor into that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

nerox posted:

I moved from an iphone to a galaxy note a few months back. I am running textra and often when I try to text people, the text just immediately fails to that person, but I can still text to others fine. Is this a verizon problem, android problem, or textra problem?

The people I am texting are on all diffrent kinds of phones, most are verizon though.
You didn't disable iMessage before switching away from the iPhone

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Use this form to deregister iMessages:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GWBBQ posted:

You didn't disable iMessage before switching away from the iPhone
Why would that stop him from being able to send texts?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

butt dickus posted:

Why would that stop him from being able to send texts?
I thought the iMessage issue caused problems sending and receiving.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GWBBQ posted:

I thought the iMessage issue caused problems sending and receiving.
It keeps you from receiving "texts" from other iOS users because they're still sending them as iMessages.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just got my Note 4...what a beautiful piece of hardware. I'm loving it! The fingerprint scanner is neat but too much of a hassle to use for everyday unlocking though.

What are some of y'alls recommended cases? I'm definitely slapping a glass screen protector on this baby as well.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
It appears from the Verizon website that Verizon charges you once you go over your data plan. So if I got 5 G they would charge for each G over.

I wanted to make sure this is the case because I currently have AT&T and with my grandfather unlimited they don't charge extra, they just throttle me. If I would get charged extra there's no way I could switch to Verizon.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

theblackw0lf posted:

It appears from the Verizon website that Verizon charges you once you go over your data plan. So if I got 5 G they would charge for each G over.

I wanted to make sure this is the case because I currently have AT&T and with my grandfather unlimited they don't charge extra, they just throttle me. If I would get charged extra there's no way I could switch to Verizon.

How do you go over on an unlimited plan? :confused:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Super Dude posted:

How do you go over on an unlimited plan? :confused:

I think he is asking if indeed Verizon charges per overage, as if so he isn't going to lose his AT&T unlimited for that. Yes, Verizon charges $15 per overage of 1gb.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

theblackw0lf posted:

Of course they charge, Just like AT&T charges on tiered plans.

Unlimited is dead bud. Just start using wifi and stop worrying.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

EbolaIvory posted:

AT&T hasn't charged me for going over. They just throttle back to 3G. I use around 20 gigs a month so yea can't afford overcharges, haha.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

theblackw0lf posted:

AT&T hasn't charged me for going over. They just throttle back to 3G. I use around 20 gigs a month so yea can't afford overcharges, haha.

If you're moving to a new provider, I think tmobile is the only choice left for unlimited data. You missed the boat on Verizon's unlimited, I don't get throttled back at all. :)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

EbolaIvory posted:

Shop talk: are you back on off the wagon? :ohdear:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm down to 16 hours a week :D

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I have unlimited data and bought a phone off-contract. The new phone uses a Nano SIM, my current phone uses a Micro SIM. I'm not going to have any issues keeping my plan if I wander into a Verizon store and ask for a Nano SIM, am I?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

You shouldn't have any issues, just make sure you emphasize that you just want a sim and don't want to make any changes to your account. Also be aware that you might have to pay for a sim if you go into a store that's not an official VZW corporate store.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SeaborneClink posted:

Shop talk: are you back on off the wagon? :ohdear:

Depends which wagon.

Apple wagon, yes. Loving my 6+ and Mini 3.
Wireless work? Other than minor consulting and some IT stuff, no.
Unlimited data? Gave it up. Honestly when I'm not just straight abusing it, I rarely use more than 4 or so gigs a month and I stream google music on and off all day 7 days a week. When I travel it may end up tight but whatever, I have a job, I spend more on redbull a month than any actual non anise overage would be. So gently caress it. I'll rock edge and get a new iPhone every year.

Or was it a different wagon all together.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am extremely pleased that I hopped in on that double data promotion last year.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FordPRefectLL posted:

I am extremely pleased that I hopped in on that double data promotion last year.

Yeah I'd be pretty unhappy with 2. Having 6 is enough now and plans keep getting bigger. And as cameras get more and more insane video is just getting larger and larger. Plans can't stay small forever.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have the 30GB More Everything plan for $130 (not including the line access fees). It's like $225 for that same amount now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have the 30GB More Everything plan for $130 (not including the line access fees). It's like $225 for that same amount now.

I wish I got in on that deal when it was a thing, but I waffled on it and the window expired.

It'd have saved me probably $40/month relative to keeping unlimited for me and my wife. And even though I tether a ton for work, the heaviest month ever was maybe 19GB.

Maybe AT&T will run the same promo again around iPhone launch time like last year, and Verizon will once again have to follow on with a competing offer.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just bit the bullet and put in my notice. I will be here far less frequently to offer my stellar Verizon advice.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Just bit the bullet and put in my notice. I will be here far less frequently to offer my stellar Verizon advice.

Good luck dude, I hope it's a good change.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am going to Stockholm next week and I have a Verizon iPhone 6 I paid for in cash. Can I do a sim swap there next week and access network data?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Doesn't matter how you paid. It will work over there

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

I still have unlimited :smug:

Also there's some speculation that the FCC's new net neutrality rules could result in capped data plans being banned.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Doesn't matter how you paid. It will work over there

Cool. US Telcom has frightened me. I don't even know if it will be lte, I just can't be without a phone for 9 days.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

axeil posted:

Also there's some speculation that the FCC's new net neutrality rules could result in capped data plans being banned.

Don't tease me

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

axeil posted:

Good. Charging for overages on a fast 'tier' of data is highway robbery.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

blunt for century posted:

I need a new phone. My ancient 4 year old Droid X2 smart phone has gone completely senile years ago, and shits itself more often than actually working. I'm looking for something with good battery life that doesn't break too easily. I'm not looking for something with a huge screen or giant storage or anything like that, just something that will actually work when I need it to. Any suggestions?

Duckman2008 posted:

Confirm with the verizon thread, but I believe the droid turbo is currently the most recommended verizon android phone.

So is the Droid Turbo the phone I should get? I'm not a phone or tech person at all, so I truly have no idea :downsgun:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

axeil posted:

How? I mean, I could see it causing possible issues with AT&T's "unlimited" plan where you get throttled when you exceed a certain amount of traffic, but even that likely is fine as long as it's applied equally to all apps/traffic.

If anything, I'd expect the additional regulation and neutrality requirements that limit their ability to apply selective bandwidth filtering would make them accelerate the process of pushing everyone on to data cap plans to help control bandwidth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's nothing upcoming that would do away with caps or really even discusses them, I'm not sure where anyone would get such information.

Even throttling may not be banned, here is the language.

quote:

A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of Internet content, application, or service, or use of a non-harmful device, subject to reasonable network management.

If it can be proved that the throttling was done for 'reasonable network management' (a congested node) then it could be allowed.

Net neutrality deals with treating different sources and types of information differently. Companies are still fully free to charge whatever they want or structure the plans however they want as long as data is treated the same across the board.

Even T-Mobile's music exemptions to caps likely do not run foul of net neutrality rules as they don't impair or degrade other services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

blunt for century posted:

So is the Droid Turbo the phone I should get? I'm not a phone or tech person at all, so I truly have no idea :downsgun:

I have not tried the Nexus 6 but the Droid Turbo is the best phone I have tested in the Verizon store to date. The Moto Assist software, turbo charging, fantastic screen and wireless charging are all amazing.

• Locked thread