Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sonicare.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonic...onic+Toothbrush

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonic...onic+Toothbrush

if there's 2 of you

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonic...ywords=sonicare

They're all pretty much the same and I guess it depends on if you want the UV cleaner thing

I have the "older" one linked above. Seems like they've had the same popular model for a while. I love it and the charge lasts forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Have any of you used your .edu email address to get discounts post-graduation?

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

For Amazon Prime.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

So I assume you still have access to that email account.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
That's usually all that matters when getting discounts.

I'm eligible for a whole range of discounts for a company I don't technically work for (I'm a contractor) just by having an email address on their domain.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Geoj posted:

^
That's usually all that matters when getting discounts.

I'm eligible for a whole range of discounts for a company I don't technically work for (I'm a contractor) just by having an email address on their domain.

poo poo. I haven't tried in a long time but I'm pretty sure I can't access my old college account.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I want a handheld vacuum is there a good site for reading about them or any recommendations?

e:

SLOSifl posted:

I have this one:

Black & Decker Pivot Vac 18V Cordless Pivoting Hand Vac

Folds up relatively small, easy to clean, very powerful.

snagged this one since it's on sale.

baram. has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Mar 16, 2015

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I got that pivot vac, it's perfect.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

colas posted:

I got that pivot vac, it's perfect.

Seconded, perfect cheap little dust buster for when you don't feel like grabbing your real vacuum.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Uh, what's a cool gift for my 10yr old nephew that isn't a computer game*? His principle interests are typing 'LOL' and 'BRO' at his friends on instagram, playing FIFA, playing on his Ipod, playing on his Nintendo Game Boy or whatever. I don't understand half of what he's saying these days. I'd buy him an educational toy or a hand crafted wooden artisanal set of building blocks or something, but I know better. Last year I got him a remote control helicopter. If he was a bit older I'd get him a swiss army knife or some other dangerous thing.

*He already owns or is about to get every age appropriate PS4 game in existence.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Most kids, cool kids or not, seem to dig legos

What about a pellet gun? (After clearing it with the parents of course)

Or some iTunes credit idk

sling shots are cool

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Mar 17, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

wrong thread

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're on the slightly pricier end, maybe a capture card or mic to be able to do their own streaming/lp. It may be unleashing another pewdiepie into the world, but maybe it's a psychedelic eyeball instead. If the kid's already that far into gaming, then it's pretty easy to say that the YouTube wave of celebrity/culture is a appropriate fit

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Chas McGill posted:

Uh, what's a cool gift for my 10yr old nephew that isn't a computer game*? His principle interests are typing 'LOL' and 'BRO' at his friends on instagram, playing FIFA, playing on his Ipod, playing on his Nintendo Game Boy or whatever. I don't understand half of what he's saying these days. I'd buy him an educational toy or a hand crafted wooden artisanal set of building blocks or something, but I know better. Last year I got him a remote control helicopter. If he was a bit older I'd get him a swiss army knife or some other dangerous thing.

*He already owns or is about to get every age appropriate PS4 game in existence.

Hmm. Maybe get him a nice headset if he doesn't have one already

A skateboard or a scooter, or, if he has one already, a GoPro (or a cheaper alternative outdoorsy camera) so he and his friends can make epic fail videos for our internet enjoyment

Memorabilia from his favourite FIFA team

Possibly try Rocksmith 2014 + a cheap electric guitar, so he can game and learn a marketable skill

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is playing guitar really a marketable skill?

I think the Go Pro idea is the best, as that might have some chance of getting this kid outside for a while.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Learning guitar is one of the best ways to landing tail in college. Plant a seed that will sprout in 8 years.

But really having a musician education is known to improve brain function and who knows might even peel him away from the games.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I have no clue about this, and I'm not sure if anyone here might have any knowledge on this: Any suggestions for good quality stationary?

I'm looking for something heavy and plain, not bleached, and good for typewriters.

So if anyone knows of a good stationary site please share.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Find a local print shop and ask them to check out their paper socks. You're probably looking for something in the 110# range. Most of what they have will be in 11"x17" or 22"x17" size, but they can use a guillotine cutter for next to nothing. Find something you like from a huge range of literally professional stocks, order a few hundred blank sheets, and you'll probably end up paying only about a 10%ish markup from the bulk paper price (which will be surprisingly cheap)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Most kids, cool kids or not, seem to dig legos

What about a pellet gun? (After clearing it with the parents of course)

Or some iTunes credit idk

sling shots are cool
I'd definitely get him lego if he didn't already have tonnes of it. I'd love to get him a sling shot, bow, crossbow, or air rifle, but things aren't the same as when I was growing up and his parents wouldn't approve.

Sentient Data posted:

If you're on the slightly pricier end, maybe a capture card or mic to be able to do their own streaming/lp. It may be unleashing another pewdiepie into the world, but maybe it's a psychedelic eyeball instead. If the kid's already that far into gaming, then it's pretty easy to say that the YouTube wave of celebrity/culture is a appropriate fit
This is an interesting idea since he loves Minecraft videos and stuff. I don't want to get him anything I'd have to act as tech support for, though.

Aristophanes posted:

Hmm. Maybe get him a nice headset if he doesn't have one already

A skateboard or a scooter, or, if he has one already, a GoPro (or a cheaper alternative outdoorsy camera) so he and his friends can make epic fail videos for our internet enjoyment

Memorabilia from his favourite FIFA team

Possibly try Rocksmith 2014 + a cheap electric guitar, so he can game and learn a marketable skill
Rocksmith looks good. It's a gamey thing, but it isn't entirely without educational merit.

SaltLick posted:

Learning guitar is one of the best ways to landing tail in college. Plant a seed that will sprout in 8 years.

But really having a musician education is known to improve brain function and who knows might even peel him away from the games.
My brother (the father of the 10yr old) bought me a cheap Squier Strat when I was 12 and it was instrumental (hoho) in getting me through adolescence intact, so I'm definitely leaning toward the guitar stuff. Pricey, though...and I'm not sure whether to get him a full size or 3/4 size one. Another problem is that he doesn't seem to be that into music, or at least, not music with guitars.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chas McGill has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Mar 18, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Chas McGill posted:

My brother (the father of the 10yr old) bought me a cheap Squier Strat when I was 12 and it was instrumental (hoho) in getting me through adolescence intact, so I'm definitely leaning toward the guitar stuff. Pricey, though...and I'm not sure whether to get him a full size or 3/4 size one. Another problem is that he doesn't seem to be that into music, or at least, not music with guitars.

Could always see about getting him a drum machine or DAW keyboard if that's his thing, depending on price range. Best part about both of those - they're more or less completely silent if he's got headphones to listen to his output.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have Minecraft Lego. 2 for 1.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Anyone know if it's possible to get an area rug to lie flat over carpeting? I have a new/huge rug and it has random bubbles/folds that keep popping up.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to get an area rug to lie flat over carpeting? I have a new/huge rug and it has random bubbles/folds that keep popping up.

Do you have a non-slip pad under the rug?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Do you have a non-slip pad under the rug?

no, gently caress. I'll try that.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Have they invented a robot that cleans showers/tubs yet?

If not anything you guys can recommend to make shower/bathroom cleaning super easy would be appreciated.

Sephiroth_IRA has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Mar 19, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Have they invented a robot that cleans showers/tubs yet?

If not anything you guys can recommend to make shower/bathroom cleaning super easy would be appreciated.

Mr Clean Magic eraser.

That poo poo is.... magic.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But don't be stuck to the brand, you can get melamine foam in bulk from tons of places

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

But don't be stuck to the brand, you can get melamine foam in bulk from tons of places

Great Find. Never thought to look for off brand stuff.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

m.hache posted:

Mr Clean Magic eraser.

That poo poo is.... magic.

For the whole bathroom? :wow:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

For the whole bathroom? :wow:

Use it on any visible stains that accumulate. Then depending on the type of bathroom shower you have choose a cleaner based on that.

I know if you have a bath fitter type insert they recommend using Organic cleaners so it doesn't desolve the liner. I personally use whatever foam spray that I can get on sale.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

FYI - you can pay $7 for 4 Mr.Clean Magic Erasers or $10 for 30 Melamine Foam erasers on eBay. They're just melamine foam. edit - Which someone already mentioned and I didn't bother to read.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

I want to buy a filing cabinet to put under my desk at home, preferably one with one file drawer and some smaller drawers above it. I was going to get this one from the Container Store, but the reviews suggest it isn't very sturdy. Can someone recommend something similar that won't tip over and has drawers that slide well? I might order one of these from CB2 but was hoping to find something cheaper.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pizza flavored cigarettes

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I need a recommendation for women's (or very small men's) light industrial boots. Don't want a super high ankle or a really thick sole, but need slip resistance and a removable insole. Does something like that exist?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

amityville anus posted:

Pizza flavored cigarettes

Great idea, but can't have them in the US. There's legislation that has banned all flavored cigarettes except menthol.

But if you made it a cigarillo, then it'd be fine.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Mar 28, 2015

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna start buying kilos of coke and cutting them with pop rocks and reselling. My request is white pop rocks so my clients don't get suspicious.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Fiance's iPad has had it, and I'm shopping for a laptop to replace it. I've always used desktops, and really don't know much about the current laptop market and if its a good time to wait or buy. From online shopping this is my current favorite: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KX7R5N2RBMPU&coliid=I1T2OJAN54SZNS but I am very open to recommendations. It will be used for email, internet, video, photography mainly.

Is there a better website to buy from, or a different laptop anyone would suggest for at or under the price?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Define photography and video. Just consuming, or also creating? If the latter, just the usual point/shoot stuff or heavier duty like RAW files from SLR cameras? Saving stuff straight from video to upload to Youtube/etc, or working with heavy-duty editing software like Premiere?

What level of technical experience on the user side? Normal/advanced, or just basic?

Any real restrictions on screen size/resolution?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know a good high quality sleep mask? Preferably something you use yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Like an eye mask?

I have this one

Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams (TM) Lightweight Contoured Sleep Mask Kit with Earplugs, Travel Pouch, and Black Eye Mask https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CCI4YU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_knZfvb1N45ZG0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CCI4YU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_knZfvb1N45ZG0

Looks weird as gently caress but the contoured features are quite useful