Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Xythe posted:

I wasn't being a jackass, jackass. I got it and want to know the requirements for unlocking it.

You have to interact with the answering machine in the intro to the Subway level. It doesn't have a blue arrow over it, although it does have a small blinking red light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

Actually, one piece of dialogue Biker has in HLM2 in his secret cutscene is that he never figured out who was doing the phone calls and why. It's something he's been thinking about. If his whole ending had been canon, I would have thought he had figured this stuff out.

A youtube of the secret cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDODs-CBsy8

You know, if it wasn't for that comment about the desert, it could sound like he was talking about his fight with Jacket in HLM1. It seems more like it was Pyrrhic victory for the both of them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

Actually, one piece of dialogue Biker has in HLM2 in his secret cutscene is that he never figured out who was doing the phone calls and why. It's something he's been thinking about. If his whole ending had been canon, I would have thought he had figured this stuff out.

A youtube of the secret cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDODs-CBsy8

I feel like the dialogue indicates that he got part way to figuring it out. Like he associated it with 50 Blessings, and that there was a conspiracy behind it; Like he got the 'regular' ending but didn't figure out the password because there is literally no way for him to have known it.

Xythe posted:

I wasn't being a jackass, jackass. I got it and want to know the requirements for unlocking it.

I don't think he ever accused you of being one. :confused:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
To get the biker cutscene you just have to check your answering machine in the intro to Subway. Once you finish the level you'll meet up with him at the Bar

It's frustrating as hell when you're missing a weapon for the 'use all weapons' achievement. I'm pretty sure I've used most throughout the course of the game, and I've got these 'missable' ones:

Acid in Withdrawal
Taser in Final Cut
Skateboard in No Mercy

Any more I should be watching out for?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Glass bottle in Hard News.

Toothbrush shiv in Release

Glass knife in Release

You can get the taser in Caught, too.

You can technically miss these but it's unlikely:

Hammer in Midnight Animal
Fire ax in Demolition
Katana via Bodyguard

Unrelated: I just noticed via a replay that after he makes his rant, you can check the Colonel's hut prior to one of the soldier's missions (Stronghold I think). He's got a US flag painted with the 50 Blessings logo in what appears to be the panther's blood.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 18, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Anatharon posted:

Glass bottle in Hard News.

Toothbrush shiv in Release

Glass knife in Release

You can get the taser in Caught, too.

You can technically miss these but it's unlikely:

Hammer in Midnight Animal
Fire ax in Demolition
Katana via Bodyguard

Unrelated: I just noticed via a replay that after he makes his rant, you can check the Colonel's hut prior to one of the soldier's missions (Stronghold I think). He's got a US flag painted with the 50 Blessings logo in what appears to be the panther's blood.

You can see it during his panther mask freakout in the intro to Casualties, but thats it

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just killed three mosquito hawks with one foot within two seconds of each other in my apartment. No variation bonus, but I feel like I've got a solid B in my bathroom now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Just finished the game and daaaaamn. Really enjoyed it, even with the hiccups in the level design. Gonna have to go back and find those secrets. Can't wait to see what comes out of the level editor.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I just killed three mosquito hawks with one foot within two seconds of each other in my apartment. No variation bonus, but I feel like I've got a solid B in my bathroom now.

smh using takedowns

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

MONKET posted:

smh using takedowns

Two of them were on opposite walls but yeah, I live in the south and it's the beginning of spring, so I'll have another chance to get an S score in every room literally every single day until November.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I'm going to make an augmented reality Hotline Miami spinoff game, and if you actually hit someone in real life then you get a bonus in Boldness.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Getting really close to the endgame on Hard. gently caress the prison. I'll pick it up from Act Six sometime tomorrow.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

MONKET posted:

I'm going to make an augmented reality Hotline Miami spinoff game, and if you actually hit someone in real life then you get a bonus in Boldness.

this is how dateline specials start

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I made this a while ago

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Finally got around to beating this though I didn't think it was over when it was. Hate dogs and fat men since I'm not too great at aiming with guns (basically used Tony mask all of the first game). Death Wish is an awesome level and I hope there's some good heist style levels with multiple characters made once the editor comes out.

Overall don't understand how people hate the game if they were fans of the first game. I'm terrible at it and other than wishing you could stop midway through a level nothing was too bad while playing and enjoying the music which was excellent. Not a huge fan of bigger levels and getting shot by dudes off screen.

Ruined a great track :( You have some other stuff that's sorta fun though so I guess that makes up for it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think anyone sincerely hates the game, it's just got some lovely level design. And having so many characters restricts gameplay more than opening it up.

E: By "lovely" I specifically mean that they rely too much on the player having memorized off-screen information. (The same way as blind jumps in platformers.)

And huge levels actually discourage frenetic gameplay because there's fewer checkpoints.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 18, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

moths posted:

I don't think anyone sincerely hates the game, it's just got some lovely level design. And having so many characters restricts gameplay more than opening it up.

A yup

That's my biggest beef

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Completed the original and played through the first 20 levels of this one on vita without knowing about lock on for guns.

:suicide:

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
My bigger beef is when you memorize it, the game still likes to punish you for that by randomizing AI pathing and weapons when you restart every time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

aeglus posted:

My bigger beef is when you memorize it, the game still likes to punish you for that by randomizing AI pathing and weapons when you restart every time.

Weapons are chosen when you load the level and aren't changed by restarts.

Hotline Miami 1 also had random AI pathing

I do agree that it feels more like a memorization game than the first one did.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Completed the original and played through the first 20 levels of this one on vita without knowing about lock on for guns.

:suicide:

....I'm...I'm so sorry.... They changed the lock on button to Square and that is just so much better from having to tap dudes on the screen in HM1.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I played on PC but even knowing about locking on I never bothered to use it. Felt like if I could lock onto something I'd be shot dead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
FYI folks, it seems like hard mode removes ammo boxes from all of the soldier's levels.

Send to the devs, ask for soundtrack modding as part of the mapping tool.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 18, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

aeglus posted:

I played on PC but even knowing about locking on I never bothered to use it. Felt like if I could lock onto something I'd be shot dead.

I didn't know about it until scene 21 and I thought it was useful, but wouldn't have changed my entire experience of the game, really.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They take away lock on in hard mode so it's probably best not to rely on it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Help Im Alive posted:

Too little, too late... :negative:

I'm bad at aiming without the lock-on, but it's pretty cool being able to blind-fire a nail gun down a hallway and have it only take like three shots. Also, does hard mode also make you lose ammo in a gun by dropping it? Cause I have had multiple times where I'll drop a gun in favor of a bat real quick and then come back and grab it to see my shotgun now has one shell or my AK has lost eight bullets or so and I think it's due to hard mode or I'm losing my mind.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
All weapons dropped in Hard Mode have around half ammo. I don't think dropping them subsequently changes it, but you might have just not realised.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2fVujxhTA

Songbearer posted:

All weapons dropped in Hard Mode have around half ammo. I don't think dropping them subsequently changes it, but you might have just not realised.

The ammo gets halved everytime a gun gets dropped

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hey everyone. Did you know that this game blows harder than a retard with a birthday cake?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jizz Festival posted:

Hey everyone. Did you know that this game blows harder than a retard with a birthday cake?

hosed up if true

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Jizz Festival posted:

There are better gimmicks than making one post a day making GBS threads on a video game, try to experiment a little.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Jizz Festival posted:

\

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Help Im Alive posted:

The only times I used lock on were for throwing things with Jake, so it's no big loss. I usually just shift to lock the view to my mouse and then blind fire while strafing.

"This game's a bunch of poo poo-covered diarrhea donkey poopie turds comin' out of a giraffe's fuckin' rear end! I'd rather eat booger boner barfs out of a snot-filled farty poop!"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jizz Festival posted:

Still not better than Discendo Vox posts

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Still not better than Discendo Vox posts

Well, it's hard to beat perfection.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
This thread is magical :allears:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Did this air or is it edited

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Did this air or is it edited

Sadly, this is what actually got aired

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally beat the game.

There were some really interesting, fun levels in there, but holy poo poo there were some complete horseshit levels.

Too many dogs, too many fat tough-guys that require guns to kill, too many ducking assholes that are invincible to guns and require a throw to complete.

That stupid prison break level was cool but man, I just could not d like 4 throws in the tiiiiiny amount of time you have to respond consistently. I'd get like 3 of the assholes down and then on the 4th one my guy would just drop his weapon rather than throw it, and then the guy jumps on top of me. Not fun. Stupid. Frustrating. :argh:

That ending was pretty amazing though.

The only thing is, it leaves me kinda unsatisfied. That ending was so much better than the rest of the game. Why not just make a whole game like that?

I'd loving love to play a Hotline Miami 2 (or 3, whatever) where you're the mob boss and you're all loving drugged out on every episode.

You could even have a thing where you're like, shooting ghosts and monsters and animals and stuff, and as soon as you shoot them their bodies disappear. But then when you finish the level, you kinda sober up, and suddenly the visions all go away and you can see what you really did, all the bodies of innocent people. That'd be cool as gently caress. Really play around with the unreliable narrator and the druggy effects and stuff.

But instead what we got was more like Hotline Miami: The Lost Levels (ballbreaking edition)

Looking forward to the level editor, I guess. I wonder if we'll be able to use the crazy mob boss drug effects in user created levels. That'd rule, but they may require special scripting or something.

The story was good and interesting but in classic HM fashion it was also pretty confusing. Going to have to pour over the details and maybe play through again to get things straight on exactly what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

too many ducking assholes that are invincible to guns and require a throw to complete.

That stupid prison break level was cool but man, I just could not d like 4 throws in the tiiiiiny amount of time you have to respond consistently. I'd get like 3 of the assholes down and then on the 4th one my guy would just drop his weapon rather than throw it, and then the guy jumps on top of me. Not fun. Stupid. Frustrating. :argh:

What? You can melee those guys, no throwing needed.

• Locked thread