Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

thatfatkid posted:

1. They weren't a "micro-party" they held the balance of power in the Senate.
2. They were rejected because they went against their main selling point of "keeping the bastards honest".

1. So? Mal Colston is a party by that definition. A minor party then.
2. My point exactly. A good lesson in how to destroy yourselves on the interpretation of "keeping the bastards honest".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The Mining Tax was also really lucrative for smaller miners, and FMG counts as a smaller miner. Like a small business, but with 1,000,000x the turnover.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

God damnit, the GST isn't a regressive tax. Do I need to hit you all over the nose with a rolled up newspaper?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Laserface posted:

How does this even happen? forget all the obvious 'loop hole' poo poo, like how do you have that much money, that you have that much is also public information, yet the tax dept is just like 'welp!' and nothing happens?

FFS I get told to repay the $400 I 'over claimed' yet this guys tax payments could probably build a loving space ship and they just dont even loving try.

Last year out of the top 200 Australian companies, 29% paid 10% or less in tax and 14% paid 0. The $100 million+ disclosure was supposed to shine the public spotlight on this so it's little wonder the Libs want to scrap it.

There's lots of factors at play, but you getting told you owe $400 results in you quickly repaying. Going after the big fish can mean years of litigation with the probability of losing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

Last year out of the top 200 Australian companies, 29% paid 10% or less in tax and 14% paid 0. The $100 million+ disclosure was supposed to shine the public spotlight on this so it's little wonder the Libs want to scrap it.

There's lots of factors at play, but you getting told you owe $400 results in you quickly repaying. Going after the big fish can mean years of litigation with the probability of losing.

My problem with this is its blatantly loving obvious they are skirting the law so why cant they just say 'yeah nah mate' and slap them with a bill?

in the mean time, they just hand close to a billion dollars to Murdoch because reasons.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The GST is pretty obviously a regressive tax. Everyone pays the same amount which favours people with more money. You can argue that tax breaks in other areas make up for it, but that doesn't mean it's not regressive.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

The GST is pretty obviously a regressive tax. Everyone pays the same amount which favours people with more money. You can argue that tax breaks in other areas make up for it, but that doesn't mean it's not regressive.

Ehhh, but if that's the case then I could argue that company tax is regressive too. It's just that company tax can be minimised.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

ScreamingLlama posted:

The same 'most people' that many in this thread have painted as abysmally stupid, terribly ill-informed, or both. The same 'most people' who voted 'for Abbott', thus creating the mess we have now. The same 'most people' who forgot all about WorkChoices because they were distracted by the slow implosion of the federal ALP. Based on that, do you think 'most people' really remember or care about ONE loving SENATOR brown-nosing up to Howard 20 years ago? Sure, marginally smarter folk like yourself can point at us and loudly bray "I REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID LAST CYCLE" because you're so completely secure in the knowledge that our one fuckup somehow disqualifies all future AD members and senators from ever doing anything useful again.

Citation needed.

I never said that. It's the same party, but with fresh faces making fresh policies. If you want a Dems MP or Senator to wind back Howard's GST, there's no reason why we wouldn't at least consider it.

Hard for me to say, given that I've never protest voted. If you're going to vote, vote mindfully instead of just giving Joe Candidate the political equivalent of a pity gently caress. If you're determined to hate the Demmies because of something that happened when I was ten, not much I can do about it.

I think if you're starting a political party with new faces/ideas, taking on the reputation of an older defunct party causes as many problems as it solves. Sure, there'll be a chunk of the population that'll be like "oh those old chaps, I'll vote for them because they were familiar when I was a lad" and get you over the "who the gently caress is this" hump, but you're also going to dissuade a chunk of the population that are still annoyed at said party for their past deeds. No amount of cajoling is going to convince them otherwise, either.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

Ehhh, but if that's the case then I could argue that company tax is regressive too. It's just that company tax can be minimised.

Company tax is indeed regressive, but it only applies to companies. Small businesses under 5m? turnover have the option of being sole traders, partnerships or trusts, with appropriately changed tax codes - such that small businesses get taxed in a progressive system.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Les Affaires posted:

You can minimise GST by Going Galt

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The democrats eh?

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Oh hey the Dems are back. Good luck on keeping them honest this time!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Really, how many illegitimate children are there in parliament that it requires a whole party to keep them honest

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
politics... theyre all the same arent they...

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

open24hours posted:

I'd say that technically GST isn't regressive because the tax rate is always a flat 10%.

It does disproportionately affect those with less income because of that, however.

Then again, we could stop quibbling over the semantics and just agree that it sucks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Furthermore if it was dropped tomorrow you wouldnt see much of a change if any in pricing, and if you did it'd creep back up within weeks.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You know what you are when you participate in the resurrection of a party like the Democrats?

Splitter!

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Endman posted:

I'd say that technically GST isn't regressive because the tax rate is always a flat 10%.

Wait isn't this the part that actually makes it regressive?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The Democrat Alternative

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Endman posted:

It does disproportionately affect those with less income because of that, however.

Then again, we could stop quibbling over the semantics and just agree that it sucks.

A flat tax can still be regressive when poor people pay more than rich people, as a percentage of their total income.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I didn't think the definition of a "regressive" tax took into account diminishing marginal utility.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

markgreyam posted:

Wait isn't this the part that actually makes it regressive?

Well they could be really harsh and reverse the income tax scales...i.e. 45c per $ for the first $18k of your income, 37c per $ for the next $18k to $37k and so on...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ragingsheep posted:

Well they could be really harsh and reverse the income tax scales...i.e. 45c per $ for the first $18k of your income, 37c per $ for the next $18k to $37k and so on...

If that doesn't encourage you to make more money nothing will.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

My problem with this is its blatantly loving obvious they are skirting the law so why cant they just say 'yeah nah mate' and slap them with a bill?

in the mean time, they just hand close to a billion dollars to Murdoch because reasons.

Who says its obvious? There are actual loopholes in our tax code and they all have legal advice from the major law/accounting firms that justify their position.

If the ATO couldn't even get someone like Paul Hogan how hard is it going to be for them to go after after someone with a much bigger war chest?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Friendlyjordies is gettin' angry and it's great.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=767173863403437&fref=nf

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Endman posted:

I didn't think the definition of a "regressive" tax took into account diminishing marginal utility.

It's a pretty common argument in relation to the GST, although you are correct that it does rely on some pretty simplistic assumptions (ie. rich people will buy the same amount of taxed good at the same price as the poor person)

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

God damnit, the GST isn't a regressive tax. Do I need to hit you all over the nose with a rolled up newspaper?

This is a loving dumb post and you know it.

Consumption comprises a larger part of your income the lower your income is. GST is applied to consumption. GST comprises a larger part of your income the lower your income is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

cpaf posted:

It's a pretty common argument in relation to the GST, although you are correct that it does rely on some pretty simplistic assumptions (ie. rich people will buy the same amount of taxed good at the same price as the poor person)

I actually read a study a while ago (I can't link it, so handful of salt) that suggested that because richer people are capable of making purchases with greater sunk costs that they end up spending less overall since they can purchase greater quality goods that last longer from the time of purchase, rather than sub-standard, cheaper goods that need to be replaced/bought again sooner.

It was a pretty interesting argument, albeit mostly conjectural.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Rich people, is there anything they can't do?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Basically you should tax the gently caress out of rich people because they're better at conserving money than poorer people for a variety of reasons.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

markgreyam posted:

Rich people, is there anything they can't do?

Demonstrate basic empathy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Endman posted:

I actually read a study a while ago (I can't link it, so handful of salt) that suggested that because richer people are capable of making purchases with greater sunk costs that they end up spending less overall since they can purchase greater quality goods that last longer from the time of purchase, rather than sub-standard, cheaper goods that need to be replaced/bought again sooner.

It was a pretty interesting argument, albeit mostly conjectural.

They can also buy in bulk saving a lot on the unit cost. There are about a million articles about it, most with titles that are variations of the cliche 'it's not cheap to be poor'.

Endman
May 18, 2010

60%+ income tax for the highest income bracket isn't wholly unreasonable.

Endman
May 18, 2010

open24hours posted:

They can also buy in bulk saving a lot on the unit cost. There are about a million articles about it, most with titles that are variations of the cliche 'it's not cheap to be poor'.

5 seconds on google and you're right, here's one now: https://robertnielsen21.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/its-expensive-to-be-poor/

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The world prospered with 90%+ post WWII.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

The world prospered with 90%+ post WWII.

But then you ended up with the baby boomers so... :shrug:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It does also ignore the pretty obvious phenomenon of arbitrary increases in cost based on things like brand, sustainable and responsible production methods, tie-ins etc.

Endman
May 18, 2010

cpaf posted:

It does also ignore the pretty obvious phenomenon of arbitrary increases in cost based on things like brand, sustainable and responsible production methods, tie-ins etc.

Economics is complicated. I think we should go back to bartering pigs for prostitutes and be done with it.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The tax system really does need an overhaul. The top rate is $180k or so? You could make the case for new brackets in the mid to high six figures and even seven. BAS and the like could do with change as it can be a headache for smaller businesses every few months.

Addressing profit sharing would be one of the larger steps towards preventing large tax avoidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Endman posted:

60%+ income tax for the highest income bracket isn't wholly unreasonable.

Yeah because rich people pay all their taxes, as we just discussed.

• Locked thread