Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

And it can probably be fixed, still.

Yeah I've taken a look inside it and a resistor has killed itself so I just need to spend 10 minutes looking for a replacement and then solder it in. Apparently a thing on this particular bit of kit. Also can I just say I love old equipment boards for not being surface mounted components? It's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Snagged an X1100W from A4L for $250 with free shipping.

Was trying to decide between an X1000 and an AVR400, when I saw that the X1100W was the same price.

:woop:

Holy poo poo, it's supposed to get here tomorrow. From Florida. That's some fast loving free shipping!

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
What's the least expensive way to have the Audyssey-style tuning my Onkyo TX-SR606 has but in a form that has pre-outs for amps or converts to line level? My Onkyo's ability to take digital in and crank out insane bass to my pair of Klipsch RF-3 towers is incredible. So far, no amount of manual EQ tweaking in software in Windows 7 can get my speakers to push that much air if I just output stereo to RCA to a NAD 2600a I have (150w x 2). I want to try to use the amp I picked up from Goodwill for $15 to drive the speakers, but I want to either find software or hardware that will let me truly boost the low end to the speakers. Like I said, I can't seem to duplicate anything close to the amount of bass the Onkyo sends their way with Audyssey's EQ on.

I'm trying to avoid simply buying a new receiver with pre-outs, I guess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Strike Anywhere posted:

What's the least expensive way to have the Audyssey-style tuning my Onkyo TX-SR606 has but in a form that has pre-outs for amps or converts to line level? My Onkyo's ability to take digital in and crank out insane bass to my pair of Klipsch RF-3 towers is incredible. So far, no amount of manual EQ tweaking in software in Windows 7 can get my speakers to push that much air if I just output stereo to RCA to a NAD 2600a I have (150w x 2). I want to try to use the amp I picked up from Goodwill for $15 to drive the speakers, but I want to either find software or hardware that will let me truly boost the low end to the speakers. Like I said, I can't seem to duplicate anything close to the amount of bass the Onkyo sends their way with Audyssey's EQ on.

I'm trying to avoid simply buying a new receiver with pre-outs, I guess.

If you just want to up the lower frequencies, you can use a cheap graphic equalizer.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FBQ800.aspx

If you want a full DSP, the MiniDSP is the most cost effective way to go.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Ultimately, it might just be that your amp is underpowered for those speakers (although probably not - those Klipsch's are very efficient).

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 13, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hello, thread! I've been looking for a living room audio solution for a small apartment and nothing seems to satisfy - but I also admit that I don't have the mental energy right now to go down a Crutchfield rabbit hole and do a metric ton of research. Will you help me if I defer to your expertise?

I'm hoping for a lower-profile soundbar or similar "single purchase" (vs. doing a standalone receiver + speakers) that will do the following (in order of importance) :

1. replace my TV's tinny built-in speakers and accommodate a few gaming systems (PS3, PS4, Wii U) via HDMI without introducing any weird delays to the audio.

2. Take an analog input from a nearby turntable + RIAA preamp and provide sufficient gain for living room listening

3. (Bonus Round) accept wireless audio streaming from a computer in the apartment via bluetooth or wifi or other protocol. [I am also willing to buy some sort of standalone device for this if necessary, it's more of a "while I'm spending the money, I'd like to have..." option].

Are there any soundbars or sonos-type boxes that will do this sort of thing as a one-trick pony that sound decent and are generally worth the money? I'd much prefer that "standalone" form factor if possible as it's a pretty small room that's already pretty cluttered; I'm not even sure where I would squeeze speakers or a regular rack unit receiver into the current setup without pushing it beyond acceptability.

AustinJ
Jul 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me!
I'm remodeling my house right now and have the opportunity to run in-wall AV wiring. I'm also planning to buy a new receiver. I have a question about Zone 2 functionality.

Here's the scenario I envision: I'll have a 5.1 system set up in the living room. That's straightforward. I'd also like to mount a couple of speakers on the wall in my bedroom, and eventually a TV, connected to the Zone 2 of the receiver. I'd like to be able to play music in the bedroom via Pandora/Spotify, either natively from the receiver or via AirPlay/whatever from my phone, and adjust volume and whatnot, without having to walk out to the living room and change settings on the receiver. Eventually, I'd like to have the TV connected in the same way; adjust input settings and volume from bed. I'm not particularly concerned with the ability to do different things in both zones simultaneously, but I don't want the bedroom speakers playing when I'm not in there, and vice versa.

Is there a receiver that allows this kind of control via WiFi/iphone app?

My other option is to just run the bedroom speaker wires to where my nightstand will be, and have a little amp there that I manually plug my phone into for music. Much simpler, but requires an extra piece of equipment, and wouldn't integrate with a bedroom TV very well. Would a headphone amp be sufficient to drive a pair of Andrew Jones bookshelves with an iphone, or would I need a real amp?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hello, thread! I've been looking for a living room audio solution for a small apartment and nothing seems to satisfy - but I also admit that I don't have the mental energy right now to go down a Crutchfield rabbit hole and do a metric ton of research. Will you help me if I defer to your expertise?

I'm hoping for a lower-profile soundbar or similar "single purchase" (vs. doing a standalone receiver + speakers) that will do the following (in order of importance) :

1. replace my TV's tinny built-in speakers and accommodate a few gaming systems (PS3, PS4, Wii U) via HDMI without introducing any weird delays to the audio.

2. Take an analog input from a nearby turntable + RIAA preamp and provide sufficient gain for living room listening

3. (Bonus Round) accept wireless audio streaming from a computer in the apartment via bluetooth or wifi or other protocol. [I am also willing to buy some sort of standalone device for this if necessary, it's more of a "while I'm spending the money, I'd like to have..." option].

Are there any soundbars or sonos-type boxes that will do this sort of thing as a one-trick pony that sound decent and are generally worth the money? I'd much prefer that "standalone" form factor if possible as it's a pretty small room that's already pretty cluttered; I'm not even sure where I would squeeze speakers or a regular rack unit receiver into the current setup without pushing it beyond acceptability.

Not really, no.

A sound bar would have a single input that you typically plug into your TVs optical out. I've never seen one with analog inputs.

Marantz makes some very small receivers that could be paired with bookshelf speakers for a compact 2.0 setup.
http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1403-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0081N916M

You could also get a soundbar for the TV, and use this for Bluetooth and your vinyl:
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=CS-265(B)&class=Audiosys&source=prodClass

Edit: This one comes with 2 small bookshelf speakers and has an optical/coax input that you can run from your TV like a soundbar. Probably the closest you're going to get. You can even get a USB Bluetooth adapter for it.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=CS-N755&class=Audiosys&source=RelatedModels

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 13, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

Not really, no.

A sound bar would have a single input that you typically plug into your TVs optical out. I've never seen one with analog inputs.

Marantz makes some very small receivers that could be paired with bookshelf speakers for a compact 2.0 setup.
http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1403-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0081N916M

You could also get a soundbar for the TV, and use this for Bluetooth and your vinyl:
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=CS-265(B)&class=Audiosys&source=prodClass

Edit: This one comes with 2 small bookshelf speakers and has an optical/coax input that you can run from your TV like a soundbar. Probably the closest you're going to get.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=CS-N755&class=Audiosys&source=RelatedModels

He might be able to use his tv for inputs and device switching, analogue included, and then just run optical/rca out to the soundbar, but he also might not. It's probably something you can play around with if you have loving any type of stereo, boombox, clock radio, anything in the house. Anything with an RCA AUX in. Hook every device you want to use up to your tv and feed your audio out to your toaster and see what happens.

Then if you like it, get any old lovely soundbar. There's sort of a double standard here where you have room for a turntable and records, which take up a shitload of space, but you don't have room for a receiver that you can put underneath your turntable. Get little speakers and mount them on your wall like surround sound speakers. Good ones will sound better than a soundbar. Put the receiver and turntable on top of a sub if you hate your records but love video games.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

BigFactory posted:

There's sort of a double standard here where you have room for a turntable and records, which take up a shitload of space, but you don't have room for a receiver that you can put underneath your turntable. Get little speakers and mount them on your wall like surround sound speakers. Good ones will sound better than a soundbar. Put the receiver and turntable on top of a sub if you hate your records but love video games.

It's less double standard and more "small-rear end city apartment full of stuff and shared by two people." I have a pair of Klipsch Heresy (early eighties?) at the opposite end of the apartment in my studio - which means I don't play records nearly as much as I'd like to because that would mean just sitting back there by myself, and I'd rather chill out with my girl and throw on records on a regular basis in our main living area but there's no way the Heresies are moving up there. I get that it's confusing on paper.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006

KillHour posted:

Ultimately, it might just be that your amp is underpowered for those speakers (although probably not - those Klipsch's are very efficient).

The Onkyo 606 with audyssey on turns these speakers into monsters for home theater effects, especially bass. When I do analog from the computer (3.5m jack to rca) to the NAD amp (NAD = 150w per channel, Onkyo = 90wpc), the speakers still sound incredible but I want to boost the bass effects, and I have a feeling that perhaps Onkyo's Audyssey implementation is doing extra magic to really push the bass more than a simple EQ, whether software or hardware, would be doing.

You are correct on the speakers. I've heard this pair on a NAD 40w per channel amp and they still sounded incredible to my noob ears.

I wish I could somehow see what Audyssey is really doing to my range so I could try to copy that if I try to stick to analog only.

Funny thing is, this is all pretty unnecessary because I'm getting great sound as-is. I just got the NAD amp for cheap so I wanted to experiment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe it's adding some subharmonics to the signal to extend and expand the bass content?

It's very popular for live dance and electronic music, in essence it simply adds lower harmonics to the sounds that are already in the mix, giving for instance the classic 808 kick drum an extra bit of kick in the gut. I've played around a bit with it on my Driverack PX, and it's a very interesting effect. If you overdo it, it's just uncontrolled booming, but with a bit of restraint it can add a subtle effect that makes things sound a bit fuller without becoming tubby.

While it's most noticeable on electronic that has some deep bass already, it's actually pretty good for music that is mixed a bit too lean on the bass content. A bit of added subharmonics and you get a bit more subtle foundation to the sound. I haven't tried it for movies with significant amounts of LFE content yet. But the lowest band it adds is 24-36Hz, so it's not true sub-bass, it's designed for music.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 13, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It's less double standard and more "small-rear end city apartment full of stuff and shared by two people." I have a pair of Klipsch Heresy (early eighties?) at the opposite end of the apartment in my studio - which means I don't play records nearly as much as I'd like to because that would mean just sitting back there by myself, and I'd rather chill out with my girl and throw on records on a regular basis in our main living area but there's no way the Heresies are moving up there. I get that it's confusing on paper.

My point was, if you have space for a turntable and a crate of records you have the space for a small stereo setup.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe it's adding some subharmonics to the signal to extend and expand the bass content?

It's very popular for live dance and electronic music, in essence it simply adds lower harmonics to the sounds that are already in the mix, giving for instance the classic 808 kick drum an extra bit of kick in the gut. I've played around a bit with it on my Driverack PX, and it's a very interesting effect. If you overdo it, it's just uncontrolled booming, but with a bit of restraint it can add a subtle effect that makes things sound a bit fuller without becoming tubby.

While it's most noticeable on electronic that has some deep bass already, it's actually pretty good for music that is mixed a bit too lean on the bass content. A bit of added subharmonics and you get a bit more subtle foundation to the sound. I haven't tried it for movies with significant amounts of LFE content yet. But the lowest band it adds is 24-36Hz, so it's not true sub-bass, it's designed for music.

Behringer, I think, makes a box that does this. I'm in a bar right now, or I'd look it up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Behringer, I think, makes a box that does this. I'm in a bar right now, or I'd look it up.

DBX is probably the most well-known maker of subharmonic synthesizers, but it wouldn't surprise me if Behringer makes one too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KozmoNaut posted:

This might help get the effect he's looking for, but I doubt that receiver is actually doing this. It's probably just EQ.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I found a pretty succinct description of what a sub-harmonic synth actually does. It monitors the 50-100Hz band, divides what it sees in half and adds it back in, creating a 25-50Hz signal not present in the original. So it's pretty much tailored to take the punchy bass you feel in your gut (which is centered roughly around 80hz) and add lower bass content to it.

You're probably right that Audyssey just mostly does straight EQ based on room measurements. Evening out the peaks and nulls can dramatically improve bass, so it's not just about boosting, it's also about cutting the right frequencies and does some phase tweaking and that sort of thing.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

AustinJ posted:

I'm remodeling my house right now and have the opportunity to run in-wall AV wiring. I'm also planning to buy a new receiver. I have a question about Zone 2 functionality.

Here's the scenario I envision: I'll have a 5.1 system set up in the living room. That's straightforward. I'd also like to mount a couple of speakers on the wall in my bedroom, and eventually a TV, connected to the Zone 2 of the receiver. I'd like to be able to play music in the bedroom via Pandora/Spotify, either natively from the receiver or via AirPlay/whatever from my phone, and adjust volume and whatnot, without having to walk out to the living room and change settings on the receiver. Eventually, I'd like to have the TV connected in the same way; adjust input settings and volume from bed. I'm not particularly concerned with the ability to do different things in both zones simultaneously, but I don't want the bedroom speakers playing when I'm not in there, and vice versa.

Is there a receiver that allows this kind of control via WiFi/iphone app?

My other option is to just run the bedroom speaker wires to where my nightstand will be, and have a little amp there that I manually plug my phone into for music. Much simpler, but requires an extra piece of equipment, and wouldn't integrate with a bedroom TV very well. Would a headphone amp be sufficient to drive a pair of Andrew Jones bookshelves with an iphone, or would I need a real amp?

Most receivers have apps these days, android anyway. Functional and all, not as cool as I expected but meh. I don't know about Apple though.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I found a pretty succinct description of what a sub-harmonic synth actually does. It monitors the 50-100Hz band, divides what it sees in half and adds it back in, creating a 25-50Hz signal not present in the original. So it's pretty much tailored to take the punchy bass you feel in your gut (which is centered roughly around 80hz) and add lower bass content to it.

You're probably right that Audyssey just mostly does straight EQ based on room measurements. Evening out the peaks and nulls can dramatically improve bass, so it's not just about boosting, it's also about cutting the right frequencies and does some phase tweaking and that sort of thing.

The bass really kicks in when I've feeding the receiver a Dolby digital signal via coax to the receiver, and the receiver recognizes that. From what I can tell from playing with the AC3Filter plugin for MPC-HC, the receiver is taking the LFE channel and mixing that into the stream it plays through my two towers. If I switch up my output from my computer and do 24/96 for example, a bit of that bass/LFE channel seems to be lost. I've tried using the AC3Filter to output to Stereo, and then I manually mix the channels so that the LFE track is going to output to my two towers, but I don't get the same effect. It really must be the Audyssey EQ doing the heavy lifting when the receiver is handling all the Dolby processing and channel mixing itself.

All in all I'm very pleased with what I have going right now, but I'm sperging a bit over this because I haven't been able to duplicate those same channel mix/EQ effects myself via software EQ settings.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Strike Anywhere posted:

The bass really kicks in when I've feeding the receiver a Dolby digital signal via coax to the receiver, and the receiver recognizes that. From what I can tell from playing with the AC3Filter plugin for MPC-HC, the receiver is taking the LFE channel and mixing that into the stream it plays through my two towers. If I switch up my output from my computer and do 24/96 for example, a bit of that bass/LFE channel seems to be lost. I've tried using the AC3Filter to output to Stereo, and then I manually mix the channels so that the LFE track is going to output to my two towers, but I don't get the same effect. It really must be the Audyssey EQ doing the heavy lifting when the receiver is handling all the Dolby processing and channel mixing itself.

All in all I'm very pleased with what I have going right now, but I'm sperging a bit over this because I haven't been able to duplicate those same channel mix/EQ effects myself via software EQ settings.

Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I assume you don't have a subwoofer, and that you've selected "large front speakers" or a similar option?

In that case, your receiver is doing bass management correctly, which isn't strictly tied to Audyssey/room correction, etc. Luckily you have front speakers that can output low bass without killing themselves, but trust me, it'll be even better with a sub (or two).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm crossposting from the megathread, since this is our "first home audio system":

My father-in-law died last week, and he left all of his audio equipment to my wife. There's a lot of stuff so here's a list of the things I identified as valuable.

Bowers and Wilkins HTM4S center channel speaker
A pair of Bowers and Wilkins 804S tower speakers
A pair Bowers and Wilkins Solid HCM2 satellite speakers
Bang and Olafsen TX2 record player
Pro-Ject RPM5 record player
Nakamichi RX-202 unidirectional auto reverse cassette player
Yamaha CDV-W901 CD and Laserdisc player (he had a few laserdisc movies too, can't wait to watch Jurassic Park)
Oppo BDP-105 bluray player
Yamaha RX-V870 receiver
Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver
Proton 300 AM/FM receiver
McIntosh MX119 a/v control center
McIntosh MC205 power amplifier
McIntosh MC275 power amplifier
APC J10BLK power conditioner

And six milk crates of vinyl records and laserdiscs. Everything is in good condition and worked last time I heard him play music before his death. Apparently the MC275 is a 50th anniversary edition amplifier for Macintosh, and it's still in the (opened) box. I only ever saw the MC205 in use and didn't know he had the MC275.

So we've got it all back at our house now, and I've looked around trying to figure out how to put everything together but I'm kind of stuck. There's a huge bag of cables, and I don't even know where to start on how to set everything up. Are there any goons in Dallas that know someone I can pay to help set up everything?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Mandingo posted:

So we've got it all back at our house now, and I've looked around trying to figure out how to put everything together but I'm kind of stuck. There's a huge bag of cables, and I don't even know where to start on how to set everything up. Are there any goons in Dallas that know someone I can pay to help set up everything?

We can certainly try to help you in this thread. Things generally go together in a logical fashion, ie. stuff that isn't meant to connect will have incompatible connectors. There are of course a few exceptions to this rule, but they won't really apply to the stuff you've got.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, you've got plenty of gear to make a handful of very good setups, if you add enough speakers to match the number of sources and amplifiers you've got (or if you've got more speakers than you mentioned in the list).

But really, it depends on what you want to do! Do you want (and have room for) a nice surround sound setup? You've got the gear for that. Do you want a nice old-school stereo tube-amplified vinyl playback setup with respectable audiophile credentials? You have the gear to do both, and even a second stereo setup, with enough speakers. And a secondary surround sound setup.

For instance, just a quick surround setup that'll play laserdiscs and blurays very nicely:

Bowers and Wilkins HTM4S center channel speaker
A pair of Bowers and Wilkins 804S tower speakers
A pair Bowers and Wilkins Solid HCM2 satellite speakers
Yamaha CDV-W901 CD and Laserdisc player
Oppo BDP-105 bluray player
Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver

As you see, that's barely using half the equipment you mentioned.

What I'm saying is that by adding some more speakers, you have enough gear there to build four very nice systems. So really, the possibilities are open, what do you want from it? :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 18, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And it's the same people who post in both threads, so there's really no need to cross post, but anyways.

Are you looking for "I've never hooked up a stereo before" instructions? Cause really, what you have is just and expensive stereo, it's not that different from a piece of poo poo Sony home theater, with a couple of exceptions:

- you have a separate power amp and pre amp. All of your components plug in to the pre amp with RCA cables or, if that pre accepts it, HDMI (for the bluray). The speakers hook up to the power amp so there's a cable that bridges the two units. Its probably just an RCA cable (red and white plugs). There's going to be an audio Out on the pre and an audio in on the power. Stick to the 205 at first and leave the MC275 in the box. If nothing else you can stack the poo poo.

- the speakers, at least the fronts, are probably bi-ampable, meaning they have 2 pairs of inputs. You only need 1, though, and there should be copper bridges connecting the two pairs. Take a picture of that if you're confused.

- if you've never hooked up a turntable before, thread the First post in the Vintage/2 channel thread. I don't think the Beogram has a built in pre amp and it might be simpler to get up and running, but look up a manual online. Hook it up to the phono input on your pre, and make sure you connect the ground cable too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigFactory posted:

- you have a separate power amp and pre amp.

Only the McIntosh gear. The two Yamaha receivers are self-contained and don't need separate power amplifiers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Only the McIntosh gear. The two Yamaha receivers are self-contained and don't need separate power amplifiers.

He found more stuff?!? I didn't even look at the list this time around.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigFactory posted:

He found more stuff?!? I didn't even look at the list this time around.

I believe the Yamaha RX-V870 and RX-V2065 receivers were on the other list, too.

The 870 is old enough that it's SD-only, but it does have a phono input for a turntable. The 2065 has HDMI input/output and all that fancy stuff.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
That set of stuff is worryingly close to my dream setup. I wouldn't sell any of it. Instead I'd keep it as my stereo and home theater for the rest of my life.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BigFactory posted:

And it's the same people who post in both threads, so there's really no need to cross post, but anyways.

Are you looking for "I've never hooked up a stereo before" instructions? Cause really, what you have is just and expensive stereo, it's not that different from a piece of poo poo Sony home theater, with a couple of exceptions:

I thought this would be a more appropriate thread for discussion, but it makes sense that the same people post in here. I'll keep my posts about the system here from now on. Yes, I'm looking for "I've never hooked up a stereo" instructions. I mean, I've seen stereo systems before, and I understand that you set it up like this: source -> receiver -> speakers, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I'm not sure how the McIntosh gear plays into that: what is a pre-amp? How do amplifiers work with a receiver?

KozmoNaut posted:

So really, the possibilities are open, what do you want from it? :)

My current setup is extremely simple. I have a 55" Sony Bravia TV, a Sony Blu-ray player, and a Verizon FiOS cable box. We live in a rather small 1 bedroom apartment, so the setup will be in the living area, which looks like this:

My wife's only requirement is that she wants it to sound the same as her Dad had it set up. He only used the B&W 804s tower speakers and the system was set up as a stereo system with vinyl playback, and the Yamaha RX-V2065, McIntosh MX119 and MC205, and the B&O record player were the main components. If I can set it up to handle that, while doing blu-ray and laserdisc playback too, that would be great.

At a minimum, I'd like to use the B&W center channel speaker (edit: I mean in addition to the setup her Dad had). I'm willing to set up a surround system with the Solid HCM2s speakers, as long as it's easy to do (wife won't want wires running everywhere, and we can't run wires in the wall since we rent). I can get a subwoofer to add on, if needed.

Questions:
  • Can the system be set up to be both kickass at vinyl playback AND handle TV and movie watching?
  • Can the system handle both the B&O and the Pro-Ject record players?
  • Should I bother setting up two record players on the same system?
  • What does the McIntosh stuff do (MX119 A/V Control Center and MC 205/275 Amplifiers)?
  • How/why would I use both McIntosh amplifiers?
  • Do I need to get a sub to set up a surround system?
  • Will it be difficult to add one in after initial setup?
  • How do I hook up speakers that have connections like this (edit: by that I mean do I run two sets of cables to the speakers?):

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 18, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Mandingo posted:

I thought this would be a more appropriate thread for discussion, but it makes sense that the same people post in here. I'll keep my posts about the system here from now on. Yes, I'm looking for "I've never hooked up a stereo" instructions. I mean, I've seen stereo systems before, and I understand that you set it up like this: source -> receiver -> speakers, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I'm not sure how the McIntosh gear plays into that: what is a pre-amp? How do amplifiers work with a receiver?

What you're used to seeing are systems with receivers or what's known as "integrated amplifiers". An alternative to this, which is preferred by many audiophiles for various reasons that are usually vague and make little sense, are setups where the pre-amplifier (or "controller"/"control center" as a more descriptive term) and the power amplifier are separate units.

Starting from the bottom up, functionality-wise:

A power amplifier is functionally a very simple device. It takes an input signal and outputs an amplified version of that signal, suitable for speakers. Now, you'll see volume controls on the front of most power amplifiers. The most correct term for them is actually "gain controls", because they regulate how much gain (or amplification) is applied to the signal, as opposed to how much reduction is applied (which is what an actual volume control does).

A pre-amplifier at its most basic level is basically an input selector and a volume control. Some models will have some small amount of amplification built in, to boost weak signals up to what is known as "line level", which is the basic signal level from CD players and tape decks and so on, basically every piece of consumer audio electronics adheres to roughly the same specs for "line level" output. It's plenty to carry a good signal, but not nearly enough to drive speakers.

Turntables are an exception, since they have much lower output levels, but you don't have to worry about that. All you need to know there is that your turntable will only work correctly when plugged into dedicated "phono" inputs, and that plugging anything else into those inputs is bad, because the sensitivity is crazy high due to the very low output level from turntables.

Integrated amplifiers simply combine the power amp and pre-amp into one unit.

Receivers combine an integrated amp with either radio reception (stereo receiver) or A/V capabilities such as video input/output, surround sound decoding etc. (A/V receiver).

Lastly (and rather uncommon), is the A/V Control Center-type thing (like the McIntosh MX119 you have), which is basically an A/V receiver without the power amplifier built in, so you have you use separate power amplifiers.

I'm heading out the door now, but I'm sure you'll get plenty more answers by the time I get back :-)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

Questions:
  • Can the system be set up to be both kickass at vinyl playback AND handle TV and movie watching?
    With all the gear you have there you could do anything you wanted.
  • Can the system handle both the B&O and the Pro-Ject record players?
    Absolutely.
  • Should I bother setting up two record players on the same system?
    Why the gently caress not? I mean the only reason not to, like Kosmo Naut points out, is that you have the making of several different A/V kits if you wanted to add a few more pairs of speakers, but I don't know if that's appealing to you. I have 3 2-channel stereo systems in my house and one 5.1 channel home theater set up but I'm stupid and that's fun for me.
  • What does the McIntosh stuff do (MX119 A/V Control Center and MC 205/275 Amplifiers)?
    The MX119 is a pre-amp, although it has outs for balanced speakers, so calling it just a preamp is probably selling it short. But you hook your components into it. In real simple terms it handles component switching, volume, and EQ. It's also a little outdated for a modern HD Home Theater system primarily because there's no HDMI. Like Kosmo said, use that Yamaha for the home theater stuff.
    The 205 and 275 are power amps. They drive your speakers. So the chain looks like: Component (turntable, say) -> Pre-amp (MX119) -> Power amp (MC205 OR MC275, not both) -> Speakers.

• How/why would I use both McIntosh amplifiers?
    You wouldn't. Your speakers are bi-ampable, so you COULD drive them with two amps (one for bass, one for mids/highs, I believe), but you wouldn't use tube gear and solid state gear together, you'd want to find amps that complement each other better.
  • Do I need to get a sub to set up a surround system?
    You don't need one. You might want one but you don't need one.
  • Will it be difficult to add one in after initial setup?
    Shouldn't be.
  • How do I hook up speakers that have connections like this (edit: by that I mean do I run two sets of cables to the speakers?):
So that's what I mean by bi-ampable. Look at your speakers. There are probably little copper plates that bridge the top set of sockets to the bottom set of sockets so you can use them with a single amp. If not let us know.

So I answered the questions above. I'm not nearly the expert that some other people here are, though, so feel free to correct me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Mandingo posted:

My wife's only requirement is that she wants it to sound the same as her Dad had it set up. He only used the B&W 804s tower speakers and the system was set up as a stereo system with vinyl playback, and the Yamaha RX-V2065, McIntosh MX119 and MC205, and the B&O record player were the main components. If I can set it up to handle that, while doing blu-ray and laserdisc playback too, that would be great.

This is weird. You wouldn't use both the Yamaha and the McIntosh stuff. You'd pick one or the other (unless you wanted to do something really contrived and complicated for *reasons*.

I would personally go source(s) -> Yamaha -> speakers and be happy as a clam with it. The Yamaha DOES have preouts, so you could go source(s) -> Yamaha -> MC205 -> speakers if you wanted to take up a huge amount of space in your entertainment stand for no reason.

The only logical way to use everything in a single setup would be to do something like this.

code:

source(s) -> Yamaha -> speakers
                    \
                     MX119 -> MC205 -> more speakers (possibly in another room)
That would give you 2 independently controllable zones, in case you wanted to be able to do something like watch a blu-ray in the living room and listen to music in the bedroom using the same source components. I have to check to see if the preouts on the Yamaha are able to be assigned to zone 2, but since there are 2 HDMI outputs, it's likely.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

This is weird. You wouldn't use both the Yamaha and the McIntosh stuff. You'd pick one or the other (unless you wanted to do something really contrived and complicated for *reasons*.

I would personally go source(s) -> Yamaha -> speakers and be happy as a clam with it. The Yamaha DOES have preouts, so you could go source(s) -> Yamaha -> MC205 -> speakers if you wanted to take up a huge amount of space in your entertainment stand for no reason.

The only logical way to use everything in a single setup would be to do something like this.

code:

\
That would give you 2 independently controllable zones, in case you wanted to be able to do something like watch a blu-ray in the living room and listen to music in the bedroom using the same source components. I have to check to see if the preouts on the Yamaha are able to be assigned to zone 2, but since there are 2 HDMI outputs, it's likely.

You could have everything in the same (really big) area and just change cables when you wanted to listen to something a different way, but the Yamaha is the only piece of kit I'd want hooked up to a modern TV (and the Mac stuff the only thing I'd want to listen to music on if I had the choice).

My question is if the MC275 has stereo output or not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

You could have everything in the same (really big) area and just change cables when you wanted to listen to something a different way, but the Yamaha is the only piece of kit I'd want hooked up to a modern TV (and the Mac stuff the only thing I'd want to listen to music on if I had the choice).

My question is if the MC275 has stereo output or not.

The MC275 can definitely do stereo output, and even has 2 zones. The Yamaha has 3 zones, but zones 2 and 3 are stereo only. You could conceivably be watching a blu-ray in your living room while your wife listens to vinyl in the bedroom and some guests enjoy Pandora streaming radio on the balcony with the equipment you have now.

Also, there is no reason not to listen to music from the Yamaha other than the :smuggo: that comes along with listening to vinyl through a McIntosh amp. I would be shocked if you could ABX them.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

code:

\

Let me clarify: he had the system in a stack of shelves, in which the Yamaha was included. I don't know how or if it was used in the system. In fact, the only thing I do know for sure is that when he would play music for us, the McIntosh MX119 and MC205 were turned on (they have a distinct glow). It's possible that the Yamaha wasn't being used at all for music.

KillHour posted:

The MC275 can definitely do stereo output, and even has 2 zones. The Yamaha has 3 zones, but zones 2 and 3 are stereo only. You could conceivably be watching a blu-ray in your living room while your wife listens to vinyl in the bedroom and some guests enjoy Pandora streaming radio on the balcony with the equipment you have now.

Also, there is no reason not to listen to music from the Yamaha other than the :smuggo: that comes along with listening to vinyl through a McIntosh amp. I would be shocked if you could ABX them.

This is good to know, seems like the Yamaha is prety kickass. Also the :smuggo: about the McIntosh stuff is more like the wife wants it to be like her dad had it, as a sonic memorial to his memory, and I'm not going to go against that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Mandingo posted:

Let me clarify: he had the system in a stack of shelves, in which the Yamaha was included. I don't know how or if it was used in the system. In fact, the only thing I do know for sure is that when he would play music for us, the McIntosh MX119 and MC205 were turned on (they have a distinct glow). It's possible that the Yamaha wasn't being used at all for music.

You have two options: Use the Yamaha like the modern receiver it is and be happy that you have a system better than 99.9% of people out there (including me and probably everyone else in this thread) or hook everything up and use separate speakers for listening to music than you do for watching TV/Blu Rays. This will involve us spending the next 3 pages arguing over the ideal wiring setup and probably advising you to buy and program a harmony remote so your wife doesn't need to memorize the arcane setup procedure to listen to vinyl.

If you really want to make your wife happy by replicating her dad's insane setup, strap in, because it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Edit: That's not to say I wouldn't rock the poo poo out of that McIntosh amp. I totally would. Then again, I have a 5 bedroom house and could set it up in my mancave as a shrine to insane overengineering. I'm also completely insane and overcomplicate things just for the sake of being overcomplicated. (Ask me about having about 7U worth of audio equipment for my computer alone!)

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 18, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

This is good to know, seems like the Yamaha is prety kickass. Also the :smuggo: about the McIntosh stuff is more like the wife wants it to be like her dad had it, as a sonic memorial to his memory, and I'm not going to go against that.

I dong care what it sound like, that blue green glow is priceless. Your wife is right!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I dong care what it sound like, that blue green glow is priceless. Your wife is right!

You're not wrong, it just takes a special kind of crazy to appreciate this stuff. The Mandingo, can I marry your wife?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

You're not wrong, it just takes a special kind of crazy to appreciate this stuff. The Mandingo, can I marry your wife?

She's not an audiophile, and was pretty dismissive of how much money her Dad spent on this stuff but when he put Rush 2112 on the turntable and cranked it up loud enough that we couldn't hear our thoughts she was impressed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Mandingo posted:

She's not an audiophile, and was pretty dismissive of how much money her Dad spent on this stuff but when he put Rush 2112 on the turntable and cranked it up loud enough that we couldn't hear our thoughts she was impressed.

I don't care what she is; she's letting you put McIntosh gear in your living room. That poo poo has a WAF of like negative a million. You hold on to her, cause she's a keeper.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 18, 2015

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

I don't care what she is; she's letting you put McIntosh gear in your living room. That poo poo has a WAF of like negative a million. You hold on to her, cause she's a keeper.

She also likes Rush, which is apparently rare for women. I'm absolutely keeping her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'll whip up a wiring diagram, since you're gonna need one. It's gonna take me awhile to figure all the bullshit out. Do you want everything to go through the Yamaha, or have two completely independent systems?

Edit: And if you want everything through the Yamaha, do you really want the MX119 hooked up? It's not really going to be doing anything other than glowing blue.