Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Purely from a mechanical standpoint, 13-2 is a superior game but the difficulty curve is so hosed that outside of the DLC bosses, you'll never have to actively make use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Speaking of FFXIII-2, I'm sorely tempted to grab it on PC and I'm honestly not sure why. I really like FFXIII's battle system but I'm not sure I want to play XIII itself again. It'd probably be smarter to just wait for Lightning Returns to come to PC (even though it's not quite the same system), but I dunno. I hear mixed things about whether XIII-2 is actually any good or not.

If you liked FFXIII's combat system, FFXIII-2 isn't really what you want unfortunately. It screws up the balance so hard it doesn't really work anymore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

Speaking of FFXIII-2, I'm sorely tempted to grab it on PC and I'm honestly not sure why. I really like FFXIII's battle system but I'm not sure I want to play XIII itself again. It'd probably be smarter to just wait for Lightning Returns to come to PC (even though it's not quite the same system), but I dunno. I hear mixed things about whether XIII-2 is actually any good or not.

If you only care about the combat, the biggest complaint is that the base game is incredibly easy. Like, easier than actual Pokemon games.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I don't know how to edit the night-battle music since it's like it's got a starting point and then it loops, cutting the start away, and it's hard to fade it in right. Can mail it to somebody who wants to host it somewhere, drop a PM.

And the only thing keeping me from taking down the Behemoth without summon cheesing is that it takes forever. Brainfarted away the technique that lunges you forward but that's the one you want to use getting as many vulnerable points hit one after another, so good. This combat is 100% different from other FF games yet I rate it as high as FF13s combat which I loved. So much fun!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you liked FFXIII's combat system, FFXIII-2 isn't really what you want unfortunately. It screws up the balance so hard it doesn't really work anymore.

Tae posted:

If you only care about the combat, the biggest complaint is that the base game is incredibly easy. Like, easier than actual Pokemon games.

Yeah, that's what I heard. I'll just hold off for Lightning Returns, then.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They kept the blue blood for FFXV :w00t:

That's the silliest thing ever and I love it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MrLonghair posted:

Episode Duscae wrapped up. This is going to be a 40/40 Famitsu review hit if it improves and expands on everything as much as I think it will.

Controls - If the framerate gets to reach and hold a steady 30 (and they will, Japanese devs duh), and we get some analogue stick sensitivity+speed tweaking I will enjoy it more. It makes sense, it works, there's thought and depth and thrill in it. It's an evolution away from FF13 which was an evolution away from FF12 and I think it's all for the better, I enjoyed it and quickly figured it out, had no trouble like the streamers (went a circle and grinded before the Cave but I could have gone in raw, speedrun-like). I'm willing to say it's more "Souls game" than anything else since I have no KH experience, and I'm happy about it, gonna be so awesome when we have choice in weapons and skills and then all those group whateveritwas.

Visuals - Once up to 1080p and handled with care to not murder long distance alias-traps, then made sure textures hold up better instead of one side being sharp and highres clean and the other being from the PS2 era, it'll be all fine.

Audio - These are unfinished placeholder voices, I have more reason to believe so. Fine sounds, just need tweaks and mixing, a soundtrack I will want to buy all boxes of, it sounds absolutely great for once.

Time to horribly slowly get the remaining 15 gigs of Type-0 and watch a video-focused gaming site most likely have a hard time figuring out how to play it

famitsu gives good reviews to anyone who gives them money why the gently caress do you read famitsu, are you a child

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

You max out a blue Chocobo and it just destroys poo poo in seconds.

final boss was over in under a minute. All the Optional Bosses just crumbled

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think so?

It's not an action-RPG. It's seriously more like a Bioware game. The game as a whole reminds me more of Dragon Age: Inquisition than anything else. It doesn't play like an action-RPG at all.

Attacking and defending is automated and is more about resource conservation with only light timing elements than it is about twitch skills. There's not even a timed hit/timed defense mechanic like in Lightning Returns. Positioning is slightly important but no more than in FFXII.

If someone's trying to play it like an action-RPG they'll hate it because none of the mechanics even remotely lend themselves to playing it like an action RPG. There's no combos, only very basic timing elements, there isn't even a dodge roll.

Someone literally just compared it to Dark Souls which is the epitome of Action RPG so I don't think the complaint is off?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Someone literally just compared it to Dark Souls which is the epitome of Action RPG so I don't think the complaint is off?

Who compared it to Dark Souls? Because they're kind of dumb, it literally is nothing like Dark Souls.

There is seriously no comparison to be made between Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XV beyond "they are both video games that come from Japan where you have swords." They do not play anything like each other in any way, shape or form. They do not have similar design philosophies. They do not have similar level structure. They don't have similar combat system. There is no point of comparison to be made.

I know people like to compare everything to Dark Souls but there isn't a comparison to be made here even in the loosest sense of the words. It seriously has more in common with third-person shooters than it does Dark Souls.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eej posted:

The game has nothing at all in common with Dark Souls. The one thing I can think of is that dodging costs you a resource (Stamina in Dark Souls, MP in FFXV) and it appears to be fairly easy to die, but beyond that I can't think of anything they really have in common. There aren't any light or heavy attacks to chain together or anything--you build your combos ahead of time by selecting what weapons are involved in them and then hold down the attack button to execute them. It's not even a Tales game on the scale of action-to-RPG.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

Who compared it to Dark Souls? Because they're kind of dumb, it literally is nothing like Dark Souls.

There is seriously no comparison to be made between Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XV beyond "they are both video games that come from Japan where you have swords." They do not play anything like each other in any way, shape or form. They do not have similar design philosophies. They do not have similar level structure. They don't have similar combat system. There is no point of comparison to be made.

I know people like to compare everything to Dark Souls but there isn't a comparison to be made here even in the loosest sense of the words. It seriously has more in common with third-person shooters than it does Dark Souls.

MrLonghair posted:

I'm willing to say it's more "Souls game" than anything else since I have no KH experience, and I'm happy about it, gonna be so awesome when we have choice in weapons and skills and then all those group whateveritwas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They are straight-up wrong then. Seriously, the game is not an action RPG unless FFXII is an action RPG. There are, except for maybe the timing press of parrying, literally no more action elements in FFXV than there are in FFXII. (And even that is no more a timing element than Squall's timed button press in FFVII. Arguably less of one since you get an eon to press the button.)

There are no combos. There are no timed dodged. (Dodging is literally automated as long as you have MP.) Attacks are automated based off a pre-set string of moves with no variation. You attack by holding down an attack button and defend by holding down a defend button. Special moves are selected from a menu and used at a button press. Positioning is important but no more than in most RPGs that have any form of positioning system. It is seriously something you compared to Xenoblade, FFXII or Dragon Age, not Dark Souls.

There is nothing comparing it to Dark Souls in gameplay style at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 18, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Way to throw MrLonghair's words in ImpAtom's face :rolleyes:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well, they both seem to have a very important resource that gets shared between offense and defense (MP and Stamina), and fighting well depends on managing that resource effectively.

But yeah, that's all I've got.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You stay at bonfires to save and level up :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amppelix posted:

You stay at bonfires to save and level up :v:

Shovel Knight is my favorite Souls game!

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
So I finished the demo today, and I noticed something intriguing...

Once you reclaim your car and head to the Disc, you get a little animated still image story teaser. Now, the thing I found most interesting is this image -

link for huge image - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/11071464_882615998717_4936364760429721749_o.jpg

At first it seems kind of innocuous, but then I realized that the guy in the upper right is Ramuh. Following this logic, from right to left they are Ramuh, Shiva, Ifrit, wing guy (Bahamut?) and Siren, so there are some summons confirmed!

Stealth edit because I am bad at directions :p

Shingouryu fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shingouryu posted:

So I finished the demo today, and I noticed something intriguing...

Once you reclaim your car and head to the Disc, you get a little animated still image story teaser. Now, the thing I found most interesting is this image -

link for huge image - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/11071464_882615998717_4936364760429721749_o.jpg

At first it seems kind of innocuous, but then I realized that the guy in the upper right is Ramuh. Following this logic, from left to right they are Shiva, Ifrit, wing guy (Bahamut?) and Siren, so there are some summons confirmed!

Wing Guy could be Diablos

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
9 years of development and they can't even get the frame rate up? Great loving job Square.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Whizbang posted:

9 years of development and they can't even get the frame rate up? Great loving job Square.

You might as well clock it at 2 years because Nomura by all accounts did gently caress-all during his entire time as project lead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only thing that's Dark Souls is parrying (which is more like the generous window in Demon Souls) and leveling up only at Campfires, which is basically a bonfire.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I Dark Souls the Dark Souls when you Dark Souls the Dark Souls while Dark Souls Dark Souls and there's this Dark Souls who's Dark Souls all over the loving Dark Souls. Then Dark Souls the Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls and the Dark Souls goes Dark Souls and everyone Dark Souls after Dark Souls. Personally it's my Dark Souls part of Final Fantasy X-2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
final fantasy 13 wasn't good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

I Dark Souls the Dark Souls when you Dark Souls the Dark Souls while Dark Souls Dark Souls and there's this Dark Souls who's Dark Souls all over the loving Dark Souls. Then Dark Souls the Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls and the Dark Souls goes Dark Souls and everyone Dark Souls after Dark Souls. Personally it's my Dark Souls part of Final Fantasy X-2.

I like this kickstarter pitch but it needs a bit more Metroidvania roguelike.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Seriously, just parry everything in FF15. Who cares.

It is rad that the toughest magitek soldiers are the flag holders. Why the gently caress do they carry flags, who cares, he kicks the poo poo out of you like he's Chun Li.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm watching footage of XV and I'm a little confused as to how it's not an action rpg.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm watching footage of XV and I'm a little confused as to how it's not an action rpg.

Do you think Final Fantasy XII is an action-RPG? Or Xenoblade?

It has no action elements. You don't manually dodge or manually attack. It's literally automated based off your equipment and ability setup and your remaining MP. You can avoid some attacks by repositioning yourself but you don't have any form of manual dodge. The closest is the Warp Blade which just moves to you to a set target. There are no combos or timing elements except for pressing square when the parry prompt pops up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That actually sounds crazy disappointing. Maybe it'll be better to play and I can found out when my god damned copy gets here

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Do you think Final Fantasy XII is an action-RPG? Or Xenoblade?

It has no action elements. You don't manually dodge or manually attack. It's literally automated based off your equipment and ability setup and your remaining MP. You can avoid some attacks by repositioning yourself but you don't have any form of manual dodge. The closest is the Warp Blade which just moves to you to a set target. There are no combos or timing elements except for pressing square when the parry prompt pops up.
Oh, I thought that was all manual. That is a little disappointing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Action RPG means games like Diablo and Torchlight hth :)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

That actually sounds crazy disappointing. Maybe it'll be better to play and I can found out when my god damned copy gets here

It's not that bad actually. Just don't go in thinking it's Kingdom Hearts or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't parry timing sensitive (albeit with a large window) and you can charge your attacks?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skeezy posted:

It's not that bad actually. Just don't go in thinking it's Kingdom Hearts or something.

It was never going to be like Kingdom Hearts no matter how many carefully prepared CGI mockups Nomura put together in lieu of doing any actual production work so I wasn't expecting that at least.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly the kingdom hearts style of gameplay is fun but nothing special so i'm actually more interested in it if it's not like that

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Like most FF games the majority of your actual strategy happens more in the menus than anything. Building weapon sets for poo poo is going to be important, putting together certain techniques for crowd control or single-target DPS, preparing for stationary targets or mobile targets, etc.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Has it been said how much work Nomura actually did outside of character designs? I'm curious to how much they are keeping from him in the final release.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mister Adequate posted:

Action RPG means games like Diablo and Torchlight hth :)

Action RPG means Secret of Mana and Wonder Boy :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I definitely also remembering reading an article that says the combat is timing based if you want bigger damage, like how Blazblue/Marve vs. Capcom have a Simple mode where you look cool but the maximum damage involves actually doing the timing and directions right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Isn't parry timing sensitive (albeit with a large window) and you can charge your attacks?

Parrying isn't really timing sensitive in the way that parrying traditionally is. If you're in Defensive mode when you're attacked you get a button prompt to press. It's timing-based but extremely lightly so. (And it isn't like FF hasn't had timing things in combat before. See: Squall's gunblade, FFX Overdrives, ect.)

If you can charge your attacks I didn't see how. Holding down Square puts you into Attack mode.

Tae posted:

I definitely also remembering reading an article that says the combat is timing based if you want bigger damage, like how Blazblue/Marve vs. Capcom have a Simple mode where you look cool but the maximum damage involves actually doing the timing and directions right.

This isn't in the demo if so. Lightning Returns has a system like that but the way FFXV's system works is this like this:

You have 5 weapon slots: Crush, Ravage, Vanquish, Counter and Descend. Crush is the first attack you make against an enemy. It then instantly switches to Ravage which attacks until the enemy is low on health at which point it swaps to Vanquish for the finishing blow.

Counter is obvious and Descend if you are in the air when you go into attack mode. (In the demo it mostly exists so you can get a Zweihander attack off by going at an enemy from a cliff. It's basically there to replace Crush if you're hanging off a tower since Warp Blade lets you do that.)

Each weapon has a special skill tied to it. You select the skill from a menu and can press triangle at any point to do it. Each skill is canned animation with a pre-set effect. I.e: Blood Sword has Drain Blade as a skill. Pressing Triangle takes some MP and does it.

Dodging is automated. If you are not attacking and hold down L1 you will dodge any and all attacks as long as you have MP. The exception seems to be "slow' attacks like Goblin Punch which instead cause a Parry thing to appear on the screen. If you are defending when the enemy hits you with a Parryable move you can press Square to counter it. I *think* failing the square press nullifies Defense Mode but I never saw it happen since you have an eternity to pull it off and the game has a warning from the moment the enemy starts their attack animation. (This is very noticeable with Goblin Punch which has a 15 second long windup time.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 18, 2015