Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

why did i ever stop reading this thread? bookmarked for comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope no one was planning on making an alt or doing a gilda run, today all 4 races are restricted on Aranzeb (and several other servers).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Angela Christine posted:

I hope no one was planning on making an alt or doing a gilda run, today all 4 races are restricted on Aranzeb (and several other servers).

Sounds like apartheid :godwin:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Angela Christine posted:

There's still people playing?

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
Are you really asking that after presumably having seen what happened with, just as the first example to come to mind, SWTOR?

Far worse games than this have lasted far, far longer.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah, Guild Wars 2 is still around.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Morglon posted:

Yeah, Guild Wars 2 is still around.

And Rune Scape, which was a terrible grindy game both then and now. Also it was a pioneer for all the wonderful game-of-the-year freemium games we have today. Thank you so much Rune Scape.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

CountingWizard posted:

And Rune Scape, which was a terrible grindy game both then and now. Also it was a pioneer for all the wonderful game-of-the-year freemium games we have today. Thank you so much Rune Scape.

Runescape was a brilliant charming game when it was still 2d sprites.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
What amuses me about this thread is how invested people are in hating the game. It's got a lot of problems, no doubt, but the game itself has a lot of good features and is fun to play. I'd love to see the naval combat, trade, farming, crafting, trade packs, gliders and land aspects fused to a game with better combat (AC style) and run by a less lame/corrupt company.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah it's really a lot of effort to f5 once a day or so, see if Trion made another oops and maybe shitpost here where nobody cares and that's all there is.

I hear the version in Korea right now is actually half decent these days but even if Trion doesn't go under and they fix everything I doubt I will ever really go back to it because the game is meh at best and I can have meh anywhere without the baggage.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Finndo posted:

What amuses me about this thread is how invested people are in hating the game. It's got a lot of problems, no doubt, but the game itself has a lot of good features and is fun to play. I'd love to see the naval combat, trade, farming, crafting, trade packs, gliders and land aspects fused to a game with better combat (AC style) and run by a less lame/corrupt company.

That's what happens when people pay 200 dollars for a really really bad game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Finndo posted:

im pretty sure people dont hate the game

its just funny to see a game consistently poo poo itself at every turn

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kznlol posted:

Are you really asking that after presumably having seen what happened with, just as the first example to come to mind, SWTOR?

Far worse games than this have lasted far, far longer.

SWTOR is good. I mean yeah it was lovely poo poo at release but they turned it into a good* game eventually

*"good" meaning relative to MMO standards

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

SWTOR is good. I mean yeah it was lovely poo poo at release but they turned it into a good* game eventually

one is a AAA flagship title from one of the largest devs of all using a beloved franchise built with hundreds of millions of dollars

one is a medium-weight game by the MMO equivalent of Zynga

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

SWTOR was just the first one that came to mind. GW2, Tera, Lotro, and even Wushu come to mind seconds later.

People enjoy different things, and MMOs make people stick with bad games longer than they otherwise would. It takes a lot more than months of consistently retarded decisions to kill a game that has some good points.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Wrong thread.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 16, 2015

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Welp, I should only have one thread open at a time. Ignore me more than usual.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 17, 2015

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Man I got so pissed off at this game by about a month after release, after a couple of weeks of endlessly trying to snipe a large plot of land unsuccessfully. I just gave up on it.

Is there more land available these days or it it still in atrociously short supply?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

pretty much there. Im sure some of the more populated servers you might actually have to speak to someone to get land.

Not unusual on the lower pop servers to log in and find all the land about your farm/house suddenly availble.

Now with the 'you can only have 2 unbuilt properties' rule land horders either have to build them (and run the risk of losing gold on the construction costs) or let them go to someone who wants them.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but that poo poo should've been in at launch when people still gave a crap. Pretty much like everything they've patched in over the last month really.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Or at least patched it in before Auroria. 2 minutes after the siege spots were taken on any given zone, there was jack poo poo to be found. And I was on one of the less populated servers.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Deki posted:

Or at least patched it in before Auroria. 2 minutes after the siege spots were taken on any given zone, there was jack poo poo to be found. And I was on one of the less populated servers.

The game had so much potential. Was definitely one of the most fun MMO experiences sans early WoW while I played, especially in Alpha.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is this a Good Game?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
No.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yes

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Eonwe posted:

yes no

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Its farmville in 3d. And that is just the business model.

The actual game itself has some gems hidden deep within, but you will never find them.

If you aren't prepared to pay the game is pretty much unplayable. Im pretty sure the only people left are those that had the founders packs and have got themselves in the position where they can survive off buying apex with gold. (and the odd whale that is probably living under the sunken fallacy).

If XLgames let someone with actualy coding knowledge fix the game it might have a chance. As long as Trionworlds no longer held the rights in the western world.
(so nope, its not a good game)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I still read the official game forums because its a great source of bitterness. So today I read about this:

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?172507-Quit-a-couple-months-ago-just-got-this-email-and-free-99-dollar-pack-lol

Apparently people who quit (including previously banned accounts) are getting a pack of very high value items mailed to them in game as a "please come back" from Trion. This pack includes a costume, glider customization and a loving dolphin. Not everyone gets this pack apparently, only the quitters/banned (and not all of them apparently). The patron customers don't seem to get it.

Now I don't know if this is a super elaborate troll by a group of people acting in tandem (if so, bravo!), a legit "gently caress you" to the remaining paying customers or just someone in Trion loving up and pressing a "mass send" button on something that was never supposed to go out in the first place.

Regardless, get your popcorn because this is promising.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got the dolphin and wings and some labor pots in mine. But no lucky moo points like the lucky guy on the aa forum.

Not a bad haul for quitting the game months ago.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Apparently people who quit (including previously banned accounts) are getting a pack of very high value items mailed to them in game as a "please come back" from Trion. This pack includes a costume, glider customization and a loving dolphin. Not everyone gets this pack apparently, only the quitters/banned (and not all of them apparently). The patron customers don't seem to get it.

I got a mail today telling me I had a gift waiting:

Apparently as a reward for my subscription, which I thought I had cancelled. Turns out I hadn't, so thanks Trion for reminding me to go and do that.

This is the pack:

Its a lower value than the one causing all the fuss, I assume I got that because while I have a sub, I haven't actually logged into the game in months and they want to lure me back in the hopes of more purchases?

Regardless, all it lured me to do was to cancel my sub.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 19, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
aw son

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Meskhenet posted:

The actual game itself has some gems hidden deep within, but you will never find them.

If you aren't prepared to pay the game is pretty much unplayable. Im pretty sure the only people left are those that had the founders packs and have got themselves in the position where they can survive off buying apex with gold. (and the odd whale that is probably living under the sunken fallacy).

If XLgames let someone with actualy coding knowledge fix the game it might have a chance. As long as Trionworlds no longer held the rights in the western world.

Can you still make a shitload of gold by buying stacks of 100 of something and selling them in stacks of 2 or 3 for double the price netting you like 30s/labor profit? It was not hard at all to make the apex/labor pot money when I was playing.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

aw i want a dolphin, poo

e: haha i went into live chat and asked for one and they gave it to me

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 19, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The sperging on their forums is soooo good.

My name on there is druk, you should join in.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

hakimashou posted:

The sperging on their forums is soooo good.

My name on there is druk, you should join in.

Apparently you and me are the same person, that guy really doesn't want to believe he's not getting a free dolphin.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

quote:

I paided £400 for this dplhin and u givew it to people who quit for ferrere?e

:eyepop:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lol if you go to the support page they have a huge red banner declaring that they're exploring gift options for active players now

• Locked thread