Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I'm pretty sure this guy is mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't think he's mentally ill, he just doesn't know what he doesn't know. I've seen a few people ask him what the core of his system is or what the core mechanic is and he seems to be incapable of understanding what's being asked.

He wants to make an RPG, and that's fine, but he's trying to do it while being completely divorced from the larger industry culture. He's had this while sheebang up for months, apparently, but I only heard about it because I stumbled upon the thread on RPGG. He wants to break into the industry, which I get, but you have to learn how to do that before you sink your life savings into a project.

In all honesty, it's stuff like this that just proves we have, as a hobby, got to stop telling people to just write their games and put them out there. Encouraging people to just put out anything without adding "and here's how you make it not suck" helps nobody at best and at worst can cost people a lot of their own money.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The next time someone asks why D&D being a regressive shitpile of a game is a bad thing, this will be exhibit A. Bad RPGs (and the insular communities surrounding the industry leader) have literally ruined this guy's life.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my God they have a gallery of demotivational posters in the Year of Luigi 2015.

I scrolled to the bottom and then saw that it wasn't actually the bottom - there were 13 loving pages of them. What the poo poo.

Also, the best thing to ever come out of the forge was designers helping other designers self-publish without breaking the bank. Literally the only money I had to spend on Strike before I got funded on Kickstarter was a couple hundred for some initial art and a bit of minor layout help. Now I'm going to get to keep a few thousand bucks after I pay for the other art and suchlike - I'm not making a fortune, but I'm not spending my loving life savings on it either. And even if it had flopped, I would only have been out the cost of a few nights out with the family.

I totally appreciate the drive to create and to spend way more time on a thing than you're ever going to be compensated for. If this guy had simply wasted 2 years of his free time on his hobby project, that'd be totally cool as far as I'm concerned. That's what free time is for. But for the love of everything, don't spend your savings!

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 18, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Spend your savings, don't cash in your 401(k)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Spend your savings, don't cash in your 401(k)

I don't know which blows my mind more: the fact that he did this, or that he's running a KS to get "new servers" to handle the load once his game takes off (since it's all supposed to be hosted online so you can do stuff from your phone).

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
This is sad, but nothing will ever be sadder than the dude who convinced his wife that he could quit his job and sink their savings into his dream of becoming a Magic All-Star Pro For A Living.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
What's worse is the idea of an RPG which is just a free website that does all the work for you, and you do rolls and have character sheets and rules online that you can access from any mobile device is a super good idea that I am astonished doesn't exist. Just... not like this. Not like this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doodmons posted:

What's worse is the idea of an RPG which is just a free website that does all the work for you, and you do rolls and have character sheets and rules online that you can access from any mobile device is a super good idea that I am astonished doesn't exist. Just... not like this. Not like this.

Not only that, but if there's a rules update your sheet will update in real time apparently.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there any chance he could take his infrastructure and redo it for a different game? A good one?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For his sake, I hope so.

The advice I gave him was to shelve this, not put any money in it, put his D&D/WoD/GURPS books away, and go play Fate or something PbtA or by people like Jason Morningstar or John Harper. Sadly, I'm pretty sure it's too little too late.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

Is there any chance he could take his infrastructure and redo it for a different game? A good one?

Maybe WotC will buy it. Heck, wouldn't that be pretty cool for Paizo's PFS? Or any other living campaign.

Nah. He's probably not going to redo poo poo before his game crash and burns.

Also, am I the only one who can't access his site?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Take it to the KS thread, please!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: too slow, a wild ettin appears.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FastestGunAlive posted:

Has anyone played Shadows of Esteren? I know they have had several very successful kickstarters; I jumped in on one last year to get the setting book. Just recently began reading it and I'm... underwhelmed by the fluff/setting. Splitting your main continent into "Religious Country", "Traditional Country", and "Magic-Science* Country" was not what I was expecting from this setting. There are hints of the wilderness, uncertainty, dark-but-not-grimdark, and slight horror I thought I was getting but the generic stuff is more prevalent. I haven't gotten to the mechanics section yet so I'm curious for others' opinions.

*the term used, "magience", sounds very dumb
Huh, I have been making a note to myself to buy every Shadows of Esteren book for a year or so now, and this does not sound that exciting, no. The downside of not reading too much about something before deciding you want it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I believe it was Arthur C Clarke that said, "any sufficiently averaged rolling method is indistinguishable from point-buy"
haahahahah

Oh look at this demotivational poster for Fyxt! It seems that +5 slippers example was hardly an anomaly.

Truly I look back on the days when I might have found "fluffy bunny" to be a hilarious stock phrase. Normally this is where you say "I was 12." No, I was like 6.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: the player videos are all dudes in their late 30s/early 40s. This is exactly the kind of thing that the group I know that still plays AD&D 2e would produce if they were industrious.
No, these people are 6 years old.

Doodmons posted:

Yeah this is what gets me--look at all those great ideas he had as to how to actually get the game out there and have it be minimally obtrusive, and then look at everything else.

I guess I hope that some confusing part of the gaming market decides that this is amazing and gives him money and at that exact moment he realizes what he has done and stops?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

gnome7 posted:

That sounds really cool and I heartily endorse the idea of that playset.
It would make the game much longer and probably mess with the pacing, but what do you think about essentially playing two games back-to-back in one overall story - one for the ascent (themes of accomplishment and prestige) and one for the descent (themes of survival and longing for home)? Each would have its own separate Rise/Fall tracking, so even if people were Falling during the ascent you'd still start the second half with a Rise. This opens up a bunch of other problems though, like whether the Rises and Falls should be more general or whether there should be separate Rises and Falls for each half, in addition to time/pacing issues.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So this sure is a petition.

Where it gets interesting is when the M-crew decides to try the usual RPG arguments to defend it.

Oh and then Shanna Germain started mocking natives on twitter and Cordell accused people of just wanting to be outraged. :v:

The image isn't actually in the petition, but is presumably on the site this originated. http://lastrealindians.com/cultural-and-intellectual-property-its-not-a-game-by-danielle-miller/

March has been a hella interesting month.

(Bringing this back up; be sure to click through to RBH's post to read the things he quoted there.) This petition is worth signing, and it's not getting a lot of traction so far; I wanted to remind folks about it.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Honestly the idea of a website based rpg that handles all character sheets, rolling, and rules reminds me of the ideas for Twine based rpgs a couple people on twitter were talking about a few months back.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ettin's avatar reminds me that the best RPG race is still the Modron.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There are few better things than a Rogue Modron Rogue.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Ettin posted:

Take it to the industry thread, please!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 18, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UnCO3 posted:

It would make the game much longer and probably mess with the pacing, but what do you think about essentially playing two games back-to-back in one overall story - one for the ascent (themes of accomplishment and prestige) and one for the descent (themes of survival and longing for home)? Each would have its own separate Rise/Fall tracking, so even if people were Falling during the ascent you'd still start the second half with a Rise. This opens up a bunch of other problems though, like whether the Rises and Falls should be more general or whether there should be separate Rises and Falls for each half, in addition to time/pacing issues.

Yeah, playing around with how Rising and Falling works is one of the bigger things I was thinking of mixing up between playsets. There isn't any real reason why no one call Rise after someone Fell, except that it sort of fits the tone of how Western movies tend to have things snowball from bad to worse as soon as something bad happens. For The Mountain, maybe you could give each role two Rises and two Falls - they must use a Rise on the way up the mountain, and then they must use a Fall on the way back down. Or something like that.

There is a lot of design space to work with here, I think. It's a very experimental system right now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ettin posted:

Take it to the industry thread, please!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 18, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The rule that noone can Rise aftera a Fall seems like a pretty big and important source of tension though, so it'd have to be replaced by something about as dramatic. Maybe Rises and Falls must happen in equal number or can be seized like Resources. I'll have to think about it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Loki_XLII posted:

Honestly the idea of a website based rpg that handles all character sheets, rolling, and rules reminds me of the ideas for Twine based rpgs a couple people on twitter were talking about a few months back.

Orokos + the DDI character builder works well and should be the baseline for any moderately crunchy RPG

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There are few better things than a Rogue Modron Rogue.

What about a rouge rogue modron rogue?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you're ever not playing a Modron what's wrong with you

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How does a rogue modron work? That seems like a cold fire elemental.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

chaos rhames posted:

Well, they're less "rogue" and more just "develop individuality." They're not CRAZY CHAOTIC THINGS, they've just learned to have objectives that aren't passed down by the will of Primus.

Or at least that was how they worked in the older editions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chaos rhames posted:

Modrons are straight up robots, a 'rogue' one basically has a free will and all that jazz. Not so much 'gently caress my old job' just 'oh, poo poo, I can actually do things and not think my superiors are going to dissolve me with light or whatever, cool'.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just imagine a Rogue Modron as a fantasy Johnny Five with all the bad jokes but minus the casual racism of a white man in brownface.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you're ever not playing a Modron what's wrong with you

I don't like modrons, I have never liked modrons, I have never had the desire to play a modron, and all the fangushing about them makes me want to play them even less.

I don't even like Planescape, nor do I like Planescape: Torment.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

I don't like modrons, I have never liked modrons, I have never had the desire to play a modron, and all the fangushing about them makes me want to play them even less.

I don't even like Planescape, nor do I like Planescape: Torment.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't even know what a Modron is. :saddowns:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ettin's avatar is a Modron.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, it's not quite a mook, not quite a polyhedron, but man do the kids love 'em.

EDIT:

Modrons come in multiple polyhedron forms but the cube ones are the most common in Planescape depictions.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 18, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're a gonzo element in a setting that was attempting to be deep (or pretentious, take your pick), and thus rather a jarring shift on tone.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ettin posted:

Take it to the KS thread, please!

Actually forget I said this, the industry thread is a better fit since this KS is probably going to be trashed.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

NGDBSS posted:

They're a gonzo element in a setting that was attempting to be deep (or pretentious, take your pick), and thus rather a jarring shift on tone.

To be fair, modrons existed in 1e already (Fiend Folio, I think?) but Planescape gave them an art update and made them its signature creatures.

I personally never found modrons particularly jarring in Planescape, because to me Planescape has always been a gonzo setting. I mean, it's urban fantasy set in the center of the cosmos where reality is determined through consensus and everyone has a mockney accent. Also, because it was written in the nineties, lots of metaplot and also a monkeycheese faction the players could join.

That said, D&D has never been a particularly good system for the setting. D&D is a game of killing dudes and stealing their money, which is not a particularly good fit for a setting that's all about metaphysical politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What would be a good system for a game of interdimensional politics? My first instinct would be to go for GURPS, especially if you have the Social Engineering supplement, but I need to stop throwing GURPS at every system problem I come across.

• Locked thread