Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

no no no.
The Zionists.
gently caress the Zionists.

Important distinction.

"I have nothing personal against jews, I just hate all the zionists and jews who support Israel!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i admit to hating the haredim but that's a defensive hate since they hate gay people

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

"I have nothing personal against jews, I just hate all the zionists and jews who support Israel!!!!!"

Uh, not seeing the problem here :confused:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Also the Fundamentalist Christians. Them too.

I hate a lot of people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Israel unilaterally going to war with Iran would get us to reexamine our relationship with them imo, especially as most of the US population has had its full of land wars in the middle east.

I'm sure Ol' Rupert would need only a couple weeks to get 50%+ of Americans yelling for the blood of Iranians to flow like a mighty river.

US media are already claiming that Iran has WMDs, they just need to add "Khomeini did 9/11" and the US war against Iran is sold. I expect that to happen between 2017 and 2020.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

we're already at the point where a generation of voters doesn't know what the deal was b/c they were too young

ol' jeb bush is going to need to bribe a few more united pilots

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It would be a foreign policy nightmare for the US and Israel to just attack Iran. I can hardly imagine Obama doing anything of the sort.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Torrannor posted:

It would be a foreign policy nightmare for the US and Israel to just attack Iran. I can hardly imagine Obama doing anything of the sort.

I don't know of the U.S. Could even win a war against Iran in Iran.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Let's just ignore the antisemite.

I was going over the voting percentages in the official elections committee website, they weren't final but reviewing those particular cities in light of the final results seems like my statements are still accurate, 63% in tel-aviv, 71% nationally. Arab turnout was actually higher than average and indeed they won 14 seats.

I was hoping for a link/source on that one to further examine the specific turnout/crosstabs myself. Arabs not voting is understandable, although the Arab list were seemingly the only good outcome of this election.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

I don't think the US could lose to anyone in a vacuum. IRL, I don't know.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I was hoping for a link/source on that one to further examine the specific turnout/crosstabs myself. Arabs not voting is understandable, although the Arab list were seemingly the only good outcome of this election.

If they're relegated to the impotent opposition then what good will it do? They need to have an incredibly strong ground game just to keep their gains

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am not going to Clancy it up, but Iran is so much different than Iraq, I think a result of an invasion in unpredictable.

What would most likely happen is massive bombing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

We could have Khamenei living in a rathole in a matter of days easily. Just because an occupation based around making GBS threads on the locals didn't pan out so well over a decade doesn't mean anyone standing up against us militarily wouldn't be a fly on the windshield.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i don't know man, they have tomcats, can you justify risking the highway to the danger zone?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Volkerball posted:

We could have Khamenei living in a rathole in a matter of days easily. Just because an occupation based around making GBS threads on the locals didn't pan out so well over a decade doesn't mean anyone standing up against us militarily wouldn't be a fly on the windshield.

this is what y'all thought in vietnam, you realise

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a military invasion is only successful if it accomplishes its political objectives, which it would have approximately zero chance of doing in an iran invasion scenario. odds are that the theocracy wouldn't even be significantly damaged as it would massively gain in popular legitimacy during the inevitable insurgency and people's war following the complete destruction of the country.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Kaiser Wilhelm II?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

this is what y'all thought in vietnam, you realise

Not comparable. Iran's government controls a sophisticated state with a parliament, a lot of infrastructure, and unilateral control over their country. If for some dumb reason the US decided to wreck all that, they could do so very easily. Whether the remnants of Irans military managed to hide in tunnels and fire off pop shots long enough to get the US to leave after we conquered all their poo poo and US troops finished up taking selfies in the most secure and important buildings in Iran wouldn't change the fact that Iran's government would be beyond shattered.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

how's the taliban mopup going then

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Volkerball posted:

Not comparable. Iran's government controls a sophisticated state with a parliament, a lot of infrastructure, and unilateral control over their country. If for some dumb reason the US decided to wreck all that, they could do so very easily. Whether the remnants of Irans military managed to hide in tunnels and fire off pop shots long enough to get the US to leave after we conquered all their poo poo and US troops finished up taking selfies in the most secure and important buildings in Iran wouldn't change the fact that Iran's government would be beyond shattered.

president jeb bush stands in front of a banner that reads mission accomplished

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

Well yeah if all you want to do is destroy some infrastructure it is pretty easy, that isn't going to make anything better though (cough Iraq cough)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Volkerball posted:

and the people will welcome you as liberators

c'mon dude

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
They could just nuke the entire country, make every inch of it uninhabitable. The would probably be an easier sell than another Vietnam war.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Volkerball posted:

Clearing space for the next version of IS to take over!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Volkerball posted:

And when the Straights of Hormuz are full of ship mines and the Chinese economy drives off a cliff due to losing 40% of their oil imports and being unable to function, I'm sure this will all end well for America because uuh hang on

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
guys, i'm pretty sure volkerball isn't saying it would be a good idea to dismantle Iran's government and military.

he's just saying that we're pretty well equipped to do so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

We should start a new social movment:
The Israeli Nihilist Party: "We're gonna achive sweet gently caress all!"
Also, "You'll bury your children" , and the always popular " Death is certain"

E: Spray painted in big blocky letters: NO CHANGE / NO HOPE.

There's a once anonymous Israeli graffiti artists called Know Hope.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

the only thing the Israeli public expects of him which wasn't previously on the card is to reduce the housing and general living expenses, a responsibility which he's gonna delegate to Kahlon (who'll also get the flak in case of failure to achieve those goals).

Someone from the future telecast a video from Kahlon's defeat in 4 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2K1B04lLo

Al-Saqr posted:

"why would they vote in an election for a government that does not represent them" = Anti-Semite.

Holy poo poo, get a grip.

Listen, this is the (I/P) thread, sometimes you'll hear opinions you wont like, if this was an exclusively (I/) thread then I wouldn't be here expressing a differing viewpoint.

Your opinion is ill-informed and adds nothing to the conversation, every single time you come in here with one of your narrow-minded quips, which is why some of us react poorly to you.

As for why they should vote for Palestinian Arabs (and one Jew) who have been urged by polls to run together in order to remain in parliament instead of potentially being removed on a technicality (the raised election threshold), maybe because they themselves have expressed that they think it is to their own benefit. You're more than welcome to use your fluency in Arabic to talk to some '48 Arabs and loving ask them.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 18, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

and the people will welcome you as liberators

c'mon dude

I didn't say that at all. My point is when people talk about invading Iran and laughing it off like "Oh yeah, like the US could even do it," they're failing to understand the situation. Tactical objectives in an Iranian war pushed by neocons would be "Destroy the gently caress out of the government. Make the Amish in Ohio closer to nuclear capability than Iran." That would take a matter of weeks, if not days. Khamenei and anyone else who had power within the government would be paraded around in handcuffs on national television as soon as the shithole they had to resort to hiding in is discovered, parliament would be dissolved, and different groups of Shia militias would be the strongest forces in the country. It doesn't matter what the US decided to do at that point, whether they left immediately or stayed. Nothing changes the fact that the IRGC would be owned, dead, and buried, and government infrastructure would be ashes and would have to be built completely from the ground up all over again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea why you would think those things.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Volkerball posted:

I didn't say that at all. My point is when people talk about invading Iran and laughing it off like "Oh yeah, like the US could even do it," they're failing to understand the situation. Tactical objectives in an Iranian war pushed by neocons would be "Destroy the gently caress out of the government. Make the Amish in Ohio closer to nuclear capability than Iran." That would take a matter of weeks, if not days. Khamenei and anyone else who had power within the government would be paraded around in handcuffs on national television as soon as the shithole they had to resort to hiding in is discovered, parliament would be dissolved, and different groups of Shia militias would be the strongest forces in the country. It doesn't matter what the US decided to do at that point, whether they left immediately or stayed. Nothing changes the fact that the IRGC would be owned, dead, and buried, and government infrastructure would be ashes and would have to be built completely from the ground up all over again.

lol

how did afghanistan work out for y'all

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

So with the Israeli side effectively disavowing any two state solution and the Palestinian Authority near collapse, it's unlikely what remains of the post-Oslo status quo will last much longer. It was already hard for the State Department to convince the Palestinians that they should continue to negotiate in hope of good faith on Israel's part and Netanyahu quite intentionally made it impossible.

I'm thinking he did so in order to stop the US from pursuing a diplomatic solution and instead falling in line with permanent military occupation. It's the same logic that drove his idiotic speech in front of Congress: By sabotaging American diplomatic efforts, he can force America to do things his way.

The US might just accept it passively and there's plenty of Republicans who're in favor of just doing whatever Netanyahu wants because it's what they'd do. However the unstoppable force of Always Support Israel is running headlong into the unbreakable wall of Nobody Fucks With American Foreign Policy ESPECIALLY Clients. If it becomes partisan then don't count on reflexive Democratic support.

I'm not saying the following is likely, but America's stated reason for opposing Palestinian recognition as a state in the UN is that it should happen through negotiations with Israel. So either it insists that negotiations are still possible in spite of one party refusing to participate and lays to rest any lingering hopes that it's acting in good faith or it uses its stated position as leverage. If Israel won't negotiate, the US has no reason to veto a Palestinian statehood bid.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

bencreateddisco posted:

guys, i'm pretty sure volkerball isn't saying it would be a good idea to dismantle Iran's government and military.

he's just saying that we're pretty well equipped to do so.

America is well-equipped to dismantle Iran the same way I am well-equipped to punch out a police officer.

Yes, there is a fist attached to the end of my arm, and yes, I could definitely use that fist to punch a cop in the face, but maybe that's not the whole loving story.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

volkerball has never seen a topological map of iran, thinks invasion would take "weeks" and also that war and politics are two different things

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Peace with Iran is super important to the US and I cant really see how Bibi will derail that longterm.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Clearing space for the next version of IS to take over!

Really it's only fair that the Shia get their own version of jihadi-salafism started after all this time!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

V. Illych L. posted:

volkerball has never seen a topological map of iran, thinks invasion would take "weeks" and also that war and politics are two different things

He is working off of outdated info

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Peace with Iran is super important to the US and I cant really see how Bibi will derail that longterm.
Peace with Iran is not important at all to the GOP, unless by "peace with" you mean "bombing and invading the poo poo out of."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

UberJew posted:

Really it's only fair that the Shia get their own version of jihadi-salafism started after all this time!

reform the order of assassins imo, accept no substitutes

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

It's simple: find a homotopic function that maps it to another arbitrarily small region on a 3-sphere, then have one guy occupy the whole place.

I think you meant topographic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Peace with Iran is not important at all to the GOP, unless by "peace with" you mean "bombing and invading the poo poo out of."

I am divorcing PR stunts and GOP fear mongering from the actual institutional foreign policy of the US which are - thankfully - considerably different.

• Locked thread