Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

1337JiveTurkey posted:

It's simple: find a homotopic function that maps it to another arbitrarily small region on a 3-sphere, then have one guy occupy the whole place.

I think you meant topographic

so i did, i think this makes my burn somewhat less potent. bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

so i did, i think this makes my burn somewhat less potent. bummer.

I just like the idea of treating the planet like a big ball of silly putty to solve all our problems.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

I am divorcing PR stunts and GOP fear mongering from the actual institutional foreign policy of the US which are - thankfully - considerably different.
I honestly and truly believe those 47 Senators, from Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz to John "Bomb Iran" McCain follow MIGF's insanity of preferring a non-existent Iran to a nuclear Iran. You think Jeb "My last name is Bush" Bush or Scott "Tea Party Darling" Walker are gonna hold off on preemptively and heroically leading us into another quagmire if the American people get as stupid as they were in 2004? You think the Republicans learned anything since the Bush years? Of course they didn't! Why would they?! THEY'RE STILL IN POWER. AND SO IS NETANYAHU.

2016 determines whether or not we go to war with Iran.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I honestly and truly believe those 47 Senators, from Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz to John "Bomb Iran" McCain follow MIGF's insanity of preferring a non-existent Iran to a nuclear Iran. You think Jeb "My last name is Bush" Bush or Scott "Tea Party Darling" Walker are gonna hold off on preemptively and heroically leading us into another quagmire if the American people get as stupid as they were in 2004? You think the Republicans learned anything since the Bush years? Of course they didn't! Why would they?! THEY'RE STILL IN POWER. AND SO IS NETANYAHU.

Chill out.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

mcmagic posted:

Clearing space for the next version of IS to take over!

Then IS gets a nuke and we'll have all the renewable energy we need from Tom Clancy's raging boner spinning his grave.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Your confusing PR and electioneering with foreign policy. They aren't usually matched up.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I hope Iran's neighbors are positioned to absorb the +10 million refugees that will be displaced.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Where's Avshalom her probation should be over by now, I've been longing for the resurrection of Ariel Sharon all day.

I'm starting to think of Arik as some variation of Moses, he nearly brought us to the promised land but this time neither he nor the Israelites got to cross Jordan river. Olmert could never play the role of Joshua.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

avshalom, if ariel were still alive and in a coma would you wake him with a kiss?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Condiv posted:

avshalom, if ariel were still alive and in a coma would you wake him with a kiss?

Shameful that you should even ask that, do you question her devotion?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Torrannor posted:

It would be a foreign policy nightmare for the US and Israel to just attack Iran. I can hardly imagine Obama doing anything of the sort.

Nobody actually wants to attack Iran, they just want to campaign on shouting about the possibility of attacking Iran. Fear makes for easy politics, and Netanyahu has been screaming about Iran being "three to five years" from a nuclear bomb since the nineties. Actually committing troops would be incredibly risky, though - the Israeli public loses patience with his military dickwaving very quickly once a few IDF soldiers die, and Israel cannot possibly win a bloodless victory against Iran, even with US help.

Volkerball posted:

I didn't say that at all. My point is when people talk about invading Iran and laughing it off like "Oh yeah, like the US could even do it," they're failing to understand the situation. Tactical objectives in an Iranian war pushed by neocons would be "Destroy the gently caress out of the government. Make the Amish in Ohio closer to nuclear capability than Iran."

Wrong - the goal of the West (even the neocons) is to have a pro-Western government in control of Iran. If we just burn it to the ground and leave, ISIS will move in and fill the power vacuum, bolstering their ranks with an entire nation full of people whose lives were ruined by a cruel Western assault. That's unacceptable to the West, but also inevitable, so the US would have to do the occupation thing all over again to prevent it because none of our allies in the region are up to dealing with it themselves.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Volkerball posted:

We could have Khamenei living in a rathole in a matter of days easily. Just because an occupation based around making GBS threads on the locals didn't pan out so well over a decade doesn't mean anyone standing up against us militarily wouldn't be a fly on the windshield.

For starters, Iran has over double the population Iraq does. Even with a draft it would still be wishful thinking to believe we can successfully occupy a country of that size consecutively for five to ten years and disarm it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not only is the population double, it is not concentrated and not as fractured as Iraq. Although there are of course fractures in Iran.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
While it's an obviously self-destructive decision that would ruin our position in the region on top of causing massive suffering, that didn't exactly stop the Republicans 12 years ago.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Every time people talk about invading Iran Bibi wins, do you want Bibi to win?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
It's me everyone I am the idiot. I understand how a parliamentary system works preatty well I would say but the one thing I am unclear on are the rules regaurding when elections happen. Can the PM just call elections whenever he wants or is he/she (ha.) Obligated to do so at certain times? :jewish: at least I can read hebrew so I am not completely uninformed?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Job Truniht posted:

For starters, Iran has over double the population Iraq does. Even with a draft it would still be wishful thinking to believe we can successfully occupy a country of that size consecutively for five to ten years and disarm it.

Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan together had more than 100 million people, while the US had only half it's current population. I'm not seeing a reason why the USA couldn't occupy Iran, at least if it was willing to invest as many resources as it did in WW2.

It would still be a terrible, terrible idea.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

AcidRonin posted:

It's me everyone I am the idiot. I understand how a parliamentary system works preatty well I would say but the one thing I am unclear on are the rules regaurding when elections happen. Can the PM just call elections whenever he wants or is he/she (ha.) Obligated to do so at certain times? :jewish: at least I can read hebrew so I am not completely uninformed?

The PM can dissolve the coalition, in which case the head of one of the other parties may attempt to pick up the pieces and assemble a new coalition and take control of the government, otherwise new elections will take place in three months. Effectively every member of the coalition may opt out at any point which could once again lead to the dissolution of the government unless the PM can find a replacement (minimum of 61 MKs is required for a governing coalition).

Assuming that the coalition isn't dissolved the full term of a knesset assembly is four years, after which elections are mandatory in accordance to the Israeli elections law.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
visceril goes into his bathroom and shuts the door.

then he turns out the lights and pulls out his flashlight. Facing the mirror, he lets out a breath and says:

Ariel....

ARIK....!

he pauses before he can finish the ritual. beads of sweat begin to form on his forehead as he begins panting heavily.

After splashing some cold water in his face visceril rubs he eyes and looks up at the mirror. on the glass, written in pink lipstick:

SHARON

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Torrannor posted:

Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan together had more than 100 million people, while the US had only half it's current population. I'm not seeing a reason why the USA couldn't occupy Iran, at least if it was willing to invest as many resources as it did in WW2.

The occupation of Nazi Germany was split between 4 countries and the Japanese occupation amounted to little more than a few Army bases being built and the Pacific Fleet on standby in the Philippines. The situations are really not comparable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Torrannor posted:

nobody else wants to occupy iran

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't see how Hillary Clinton would be any different from Jeb Bush wrt. the Middle East.

corn in the bible posted:

Daesh would be happy to. Lots of heretics to slaughter.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
So this decisively takes the resolution of two states or a binational state off the table for the foreseeable future. I guess it's going to be a coin flip between apartheid and expulsion for the Palestinians.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's either Obama or the rotting corpse of Ariel Sharon, these are our only options for the next decade.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

So this decisively takes the resolution of two states or a binational state off the table for the foreseeable future. I guess it's going to be a coin flip between apartheid and expulsion for the Palestinians.

Binational state was more of a pipe dream of people who consider it to be a historical inevitability, it was never 'on the cards' as far as Israel, the US or any western nation was concerned, if anything for those who believe that there's only one way for the cookie to crumble Netanyahu's dismissal of the 'peace process' is considered to be a step in the right direction.

"Why I’m relieved Netanyahu won - Ali Abunimah" - http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/why-im-relieved-netanyahu-won

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Republicans still consider the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan to be a victory that was betrayed somehow by Obama. They still consider Vietnam to have been a potential victory foiled by the softy liberal media. They think FDR's a traitor for not declaring war on Russia after WWII.

They are not *kidding* about invading Iran. The realism about occupying, about disarming, about wider economic consequences - none of that applies, none of it has ever applied to recent GOP thought. We're gonna go in, we're gonna gently caress poo poo up. Don't ask yourself if a war with Iran makes any sense whatsoever.

Ask them.

EDIT:
A GOP administration will happily preside over a pile of american corpses and the collapse of the US economy. To be denounced as cowards by their insane base? Now that is unacceptable. For the former, they'll just raise the alternative, "if we didn't fight them over there we'd have sharia courts beheading everyone in america by now!!!", and their supporters will just eat it up. Because that's what these people believe.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 18, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
First response from the White House concerning Bibi's reelection and policy change: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4638611,00.html

I think this might be worthy of an in-thread quote:

quote:

White House says administration maintains support of two-state solution despite Likud leader's reversal of position on Palestinian independence in last days of campaign.

WASHINGTON – The White House said on Wednesday that the United States would seek the best approach to implementing a two-state solution to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict following the re-election of Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu.

Senior officials in the US administration expressed concerns over the Israeli prime minister's statements during the final days of the campaign, when he reversed his support for a Palestinian state – the creation of which is fundamental to American policy in the Middle East.

The administration of President Barack Obama will not accept Netanyahu's policy reversal since his historic speech at Bar-Ilan University in 2009 and have handled his statements as driven by electioneering. Meanwhile, the Americans emphasized the special relationship Israel enjoys with the superpower.

White House Spokesperson Josh Earnest said that President Obama continues to believe that the best solution for the conflict is an independent state for Palestinians. However, he added that the US will reevaluate its position given Netanyahu's recent statements.

Earnest said Obama would call Netanyahu "in the coming days" to congratulate him on his re-election victory. He said that US Secretary of State John Kerry had already called the prime minister to congratulate him.

But despite the diplomatic overtures, the Obama administration also criticized the Likud leader for using "divisive rhetoric" to undermine Arab Israeli voters.

Relations between the American and Israeli leaders reached a new low in March when Netanyahu accepted an invitation by Republican lawmakers – against Obama's wishes – to address a joint-session of Congress on the threat posed by Iran's nuclear program.

Yet sources in Washington hurried to stress that Obama will work with Netanyahu since he won a democratic elections and was the legitimate leader of Israel, a close ally of the US.

Former US ambassador to Israel Martin Indyk, a senior member of Clinton and Obama's teams for negotiations on the peace process, told American news channel MSNBC that "there will be a confrontation not over the Palestinian issue but over Iran."

He said that Netanyahu would be invited to the White House to express his opposition the negotiations with Iran only after a deal with Tehran is agreed. The veteran diplomat predicted that despite their disagreement on Iran, future events will determine the course of the two leader's relationship.

Indyk, however, expressed more urgent concerns over the state of the Palestinian government.

He suggested that the election results would push President Mahmoud Abbas to continue his bid for a trial against Israel at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, leading Netanyahu to retaliate by withholding tax payments to the government in Ramallah.

"We may see the collapse of the Palestinian Authority," he warned.

A lot of weasel words yet, but at least they are not deluded about the implications.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

corn in the bible posted:

Who is "nobody else"?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

A lot of weasel words yet, but at least they are not deluded about the implications.

quote:

The administration of President Barack Obama will not accept Netanyahu's policy reversal since his historic speech at Bar-Ilan University in 2009 and have handled his statements as driven by electioneering.

Well, they're either deluded or lying.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Job Truniht posted:

Who is "nobody else"?

KSA and Israel, I guess?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't see how Hillary Clinton would be any different from Jeb Bush wrt. the Middle East.
Both will be utter poo poo on Palestine but would Hillary really take us to Iran? Really?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I was hoping for a link/source on that one to further examine the specific turnout/crosstabs myself. Arabs not voting is understandable, although the Arab list were seemingly the only good outcome of this election.

http://z.ynet.co.il/short/content/2015/elections_map2015/

Hover over any city to see voter turnout percentages, click on a city to see election results in the particular city, Zionist union in red, Likud in Blue, Teal for joint arab list.

Can't find an equivalent site or one that summarizes all the data in English. It looks like blue cities have higher voter turnout but only marginally so.

The most peculiar thing from this map is how the druze towns in the north have apparently voted overwhelmingly for Liberman, of all people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Both will be utter poo poo on Palestine but would Hillary really take us to Iran? Really?

I don't think Jeb would either. He's evil, not stupid.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Jeb would either. He's evil, not stupid.
Cheney wasn't stupid.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So this might be more fir the right win media thread but sean hannity is currently sperging about how terrbile it is that OBUMMER HASNT CALLED BIBI YET. How coukd he possible know that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Cheney wasn't stupid.

Yeah but Cheney wasn't the president and is also a psychopath who doesn't give a poo poo about his legacy. I don't think Jeb falls into that category. He saw what the Iraq war did to his brother's presidency and I really don't think he would want to repeat that. Unless he's more of a neo con fundy than I think he is...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 18, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but Cheney wasn't the president and is also a psychopath who doesn't give a poo poo about his legacy. I don't think Jeb falls into that category. He saw what the Iraq war did to his brother's presidency and I really don't think he would want to repeat that. Unless he's more of a neo con fundy than I think he is...
Cheney was basically President, which shows you don't need to be stupid to invade Iran/q, just evil.
But yeah the Iraq War went terrible for George W Bush oh wait no he experienced literally no consequences for war crimes.

In the universe where Jeb becomes President, which thankfully isn't ours, the moment it all goes to poo poo his base and the media will just go "Well if we had gone to war with them in 2014 it would have gone fine."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 18, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am not posting because i'm too sad and angry

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Cheney was basically President, which shows you don't need to be stupid to invade Iran/q, just evil.

I don't think it's that simple. Yes, the neo con's surrounding Bush 43 wanted to invade Iraq from the beginning but they were both stupid and evil. As was Cheney. I'm sure he really thought that we would be greeted as liberators and that the war would be over in 2 weeks. And the incompetence they displayed in managing the war once is started was almost beyond belief. They also had 9-11 happen which they were able to use to get the war started. The US public has no appetite for another iraq war and I'm sure Jeb Bush knows that. He really seems more like the typical tool of the rich republican who is pretty much there to help out his rich pals and the corporations they run than a guy who has an ideological mission for middle east regime change..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

For someone who doesn't want to repeat his brother's foreign policy mistakes, he sure is using an awful lot of his brother's foreign policy advisers.

• Locked thread