Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm really confused. I gave my heir, my young son one of the two counties I own and immediately I have a message saying I no longer have an heir and if I die now, the game will end.

I don't get it. How is he no longer my heir? I thought he would rule that county and inherit the second one from me on my death.

It looks like because I'm a woman, albeit in a matrilineal marriage, I am now his heir rather than the other way around, even though he's my son. Should I never grant landed titles when I'm a woman?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Walton Simons posted:

I'm really confused. I gave my heir, my young son one of the two counties I own and immediately I have a message saying I no longer have an heir and if I die now, the game will end.

I don't get it. How is he no longer my heir? I thought he would rule that county and inherit the second one from me on my death.

It looks like because I'm a woman, albeit in a matrilineal marriage, I am now his heir rather than the other way around, even though he's my son. Should I never grant landed titles when I'm a woman?

That's weird, if what kind of inheritance law do you have?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Elective Agnatic-Cognatic

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Walton Simons posted:

Inheritance warning logic does occasionally go wrong, but it's usually ok when you actually do inherit.
Though this would be correct if you were a merchant republic, as feudal rulers are excluded from rebublican succession.

quote:

It looks like because I'm a woman, albeit in a matrilineal marriage, I am now his heir rather than the other way around, even though he's my son.

That means you'll get his land if he dies before he has children of his own.
It is perfectly feasible for two characters to be each other's heirs.

Walton Simons posted:

It's more likely that giving him land has made everyone recalculate how much they like him as your heir.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

That means you'll get his land if he dies before he has children of his own.
It is perfectly feasible for two characters to be each other's heirs.

That makes sense, and my succession law means that my spymaster is now my heir. I may have made a mistake.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^edit: Don't worry about making mistakes, CK2 is one of the least transparent games out there and you basically have to screw up a few times to really get into the game.

Walton Simons posted:

Your character wasn't a duchess, right? He became independent when you gave him the county? Vassals really, really hate to vote for foreign heirs in elective systems, so they most likely switched their vote to someone not of you dynasty, meaning you will lose your title upon your character's death and get a game over.

Also, you should basically never land your heir unless you play as a Muslims or for role-playing reasons.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Torrannor posted:

^^edit: Don't worry about making mistakes, CK2 is one of the least transparent games out there and you basically have to screw up a few times to really get into the game.

Your character wasn't a duchess, right? He became independent when you gave him the county? Vassals really, really hate to vote for foreign heirs in elective systems, so they most likely switched their vote to someone not of you dynasty, meaning you will lose your title upon your character's death and get a game over.

Also, you should basically never land your heir unless you play as a Muslims or for role-playing reasons.

You can get away with landing a lower title than yours to the heir if you want them to pick up some prestige before succession (helps a lot with opinion management, since there's a boost as well as the ability to feast that much sooner), but make drat sure you educated them first and well.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Weren't people talking about Muslim Vikings awhile back?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Okay, so who should I be looking to land as a two or three county count? If I'm looking to step up to duke, I'll be banging up against my demense limit unless I get lucky.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Walton Simons posted:

Okay, so who should I be looking to land as a two or three county count? If I'm looking to step up to duke, I'll be banging up against my demense limit unless I get lucky.

Once you become a duke, your demense limit will automatically increase to like 5-7. Just hold it all.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ah, ok, so just deal with the too-many-demense penalties until I can get 51% of a duchy?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Walton Simons posted:

Ah, ok, so just deal with the too-many-demense penalties until I can get 51% of a duchy?

What are you at now 3/2 or something? You can kill your wife and get a new one with higher stewardship for the immediate boost, or pick up the rulership focus to boost your own if you have way of life. If you give a county away as a count, it'll become independent, so you're stuck either way. Just try and get under the limit asap.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nuclear War posted:

Figured you guys might get a kick out of this:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2015/03/17/nyheter/innenriks/arkeologi/vikinger/gravhauger/38257994/ its an article (in Norwegian, but the picture's the good part) about a ring that was found in a viking tomb from the ninth century that was recently examined with an electronmicroscope and found to have the words 'for allah' inscribed on it. Pretty cool

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
You missed where I posted about it a couple pages back.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

pwnyXpress posted:

You missed where I posted about it a couple pages back.

Aw hell, you're right.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Sigrudr was just trying to get the viking ummah achievement.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

This isn't a surprise actually. The Vikings got pretty far in by using the Black Sea to get precious and regular metals of a higher quality than they could find elsewhere. Their best swords are from metal that originates in Kazakhstan or something.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I mean the theory that the Ashkenazis are descended from the Khazars is dubious at best, but we have the Khazar Correspondence and a lot of other evidence that the Khazar ruling class converted, though the people as ever remained multi-confessional like the early Mongol Empire.

e: Wow the premise here is pretty racist: "This tribal guy writing in beautiful Hebrew, something's gotta be wrong." Many steppe leaders were extremely cultured. There's a lot of nitpicking here trying to come to the conclusion it's wrong. It's worth taking a critical look at this but the Khazar Correspondence isn't the sole body of evidence. The claim that there wasn't any Khazar scholarship on this either is wrong.

Riso is literally a Nazi so I wouldn't pay any attention to stuff he posts about Jews.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BurntCornMuffin posted:

You can get away with landing a lower title than yours to the heir if you want them to pick up some prestige before succession (helps a lot with opinion management, since there's a boost as well as the ability to feast that much sooner), but make drat sure you educated them first and well.

In my experience, a landed heir will very quickly lose their positive traits that you got him through educating them, and pick up bad traits in exchange. And exchanging just for arbitrary is always a net negative in opinion when weighed against the relatively little prestige they get for having a title.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I mean the theory that the Ashkenazis are descended from the Khazars is dubious at best, but we have the Khazar Correspondence and a lot of other evidence that the Khazar ruling class converted, though the people as ever remained multi-confessional like the early Mongol Empire.

Hasn't genetic evidence shown that the Khaar theory is complete bullshit and Ashkenazim are actually mostly Italian?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, as well as other demographic evidence makes it pretty clear the Ashkenazi primarily came from further into western Europe. There really isn't any compelling reason to think that Jews in Eastern Europe came from Turkic origin. The lecturer in that video talks about that, but that doesn't really make the Khazar aristocracy being Jewish any less likely.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Volkerball posted:

What are you at now 3/2 or something? You can kill your wife and get a new one with higher stewardship for the immediate boost, or pick up the rulership focus to boost your own if you have way of life. If you give a county away as a count, it'll become independent, so you're stuck either way. Just try and get under the limit asap.

Ah, makes sense. Can be tricky becoming a duke if your liege is a duke but I have plenty of time to plot something.

Also, I don't have any DLC, I picked it up on sale ages ago and I've only just got into it. Any standout DLCs?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Walton Simons posted:

Ah, makes sense. Can be tricky becoming a duke if your liege is a duke but I have plenty of time to plot something.

Well, if you own the majority of county titles within a duchy controlled by your liege, you should be able to usurp the ducal title. This goes for anything, as I've started as the Duchy of York and ended up usurping the throne of England after slowing conquering county by county within the realm.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I wish I still had the old saves from when I had 2/3 of Bourbon. I'm sure I couldn't usurp the Duchy of Bourbon because that would make me the same rank as my liege, the Duke of Aquitaine.

Or do you mean in that situation, I could usurp the Duke of Aquitaine, but not the Duke of Bourbon?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
In certain situations you have to be independent to usurp a title. Like in my England example, I fought an independence war. The newly independent duchy of York was able to then usurp the Kingsom of England because I controlled the majority of its de jure counties. In the case you mentioned, the duchy of Bourbon would be a secondary title of the Duke of Aquitaine, and so you would either need a claim on the title or usurp it as a group of independent counties. Not sure if you can do all that if both you and the duke are vassals of the Kingdom of France though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Yeah, as well as other demographic evidence makes it pretty clear the Ashkenazi primarily came from further into western Europe. There really isn't any compelling reason to think that Jews in Eastern Europe came from Turkic origin. The lecturer in that video talks about that, but that doesn't really make the Khazar aristocracy being Jewish any less likely.

Even Paradox admitted Khazar Jews is a stretch big time but for the sake of game mechanics (i.e. actually having a Jewish ruler without having to customize one) why not?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Getting a bit tired of all these Ck2 bugs. Somehow managed to have myself throw myself into the oubliette when the option to put someone in house arrest came up. And then I somehow could not retain my heir after landing him despite doing the same for about 300 years with no change in inheritance laws. Also some of my holdings were still called tribes even after upgrading them to cities. Several years later they seemed to reset to the correct name, but also reset every building to nonexistance, almost causing a faction meltdown when I suddenly lost 2k personal levies. All on an ironman run.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

evilmiera posted:

Getting a bit tired of all these Ck2 bugs. Somehow managed to have myself throw myself into the oubliette when the option to put someone in house arrest came up. And then I somehow could not retain my heir after landing him despite doing the same for about 300 years with no change in inheritance laws. Also some of my holdings were still called tribes even after upgrading them to cities. Several years later they seemed to reset to the correct name, but also reset every building to nonexistance, almost causing a faction meltdown when I suddenly lost 2k personal levies. All on an ironman run.

There's your problem. IMO achievements aren't worth not being able to console your way around bugs and fix things.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
At this point I just SAM when I do an achievement I dont get why it's so important to be behind ironman when games like new vegas allow mods.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I quickly learned not to ironman, especially when I don't really understand a lot of things. Honestman is my default on Football Manager, Kerbal Space Program and XCOM.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh lord, people finding out the Vikings met Muslims (look up what the Arabs called "the Rus") and meeting one of the classical anti-Semite tropes, all in one thread. Good stuff.

Anyway, if you guys want a fun crazy train like the one I'm on, I recommend the Shattered World, Life is Tribal and RandomSpawningReligions, as a custom ruler because it is baller as hell. So much chaos, though it takes a while to pick up unless you speed it along.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present,

The greatest 'ho, who has ever lived:

The crowded lower right corner is ~40 lovers, representing every single vassal in the kingdoms of Nubia, Abyssinia and parts of Egypt. It includes the brothers in law of the most cucked man to have ever have lived, the men on the council, the pope, the pope in Alexandria, and the Iconoclast Patriarch in Constantinople, and a few randoms in the court.

And it continues to grow. I think I'll focus my sites on the King of France, the Byzantine Emperor, and the King of Lombardy next.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

marktheando posted:

Riso is literally a Nazi so I wouldn't pay any attention to stuff he posts about Jews.

I saw some article floating around saying that Khazaria is the real home of the Jews, so they should all just move there and give all the land back to the Palestinians. Which I'm sure the Turks (or whoever rules that area now) would just be fine with.

In other news, I just nailed St. Thomas's Dream and Beyond the Indus! All I have left for this particular game is Iron Crown, the final survivor one, and maybe Legendary Wisdom if I get lucky.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

dj_clawson posted:

I saw some article floating around saying that Khazaria is the real home of the Jews, so they should all just move there and give all the land back to the Palestinians. Which I'm sure the Turks (or whoever rules that area now) would just be fine with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b4Vn_-jYWA

I really like Henry Abramson's stuff on Jewish history, they're really accessible, and this gives a really broad rather than very narrow look at the body of evidence for the Khazars and their conversion to Judaism.

Just don't read the Youtube comments. Or do, depending on your tastes.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

marktheando posted:

You sound butthurt. Do you need some cream?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Is there an ETA on the next patch? I'd like to start an Asturias game but don't want to until the annoying anti-pope bug is fixed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think Ive found a bug (maybe two): Ive raised my crown authority to "absolute" and then got "Imperial administration law" approved.

Then "duchy viceroyalties" become checked, which I never wanted or asked for. This part Im not sure if its a bug or a feature.

But then I usurped I couple of duchies from the Bizzantines after a holy war and I find that I cant give then away using "grant landed title" because the titles came as "Minor Viceroyalty" instead of regular duchies, so I can only give then as viceroyalties.

Then, since I wanted to give then as regular titles, Ive approved the "No viceroyalties" law. Now I just cant give the titles away and Im stuck with then, because they still wont show up in the "grant landed titles" list.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think Ive found a bug (maybe two): Ive raised my crown authority to "absolute" and then got "Imperial administration law" approved.

Then "duchy viceroyalties" become checked, which I never wanted or asked for. This part Im not sure if its a bug or a feature.
I don't know about the rest, since I've never used duchy viceroyalties, but this is intended. If you mouseover the Imperial administration law, one of the components of it is enabling duchy viceroyalties.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Riso posted:

You sound butthurt. Do you need some cream?

This is what the master race has been reduced to. Accusing people of being butthurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don't know about the rest, since I've never used duchy viceroyalties, but this is intended. If you mouseover the Imperial administration law, one of the components of it is enabling duchy viceroyalties.

Enabling, sure. "absolute crown authority" enables "imperial law", but it does not makes it automatically approved, you have to select and get it approved.

The same goes for every other law that enables something, it does not usually makes it checked.

• Locked thread