Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JohnnyCanuck posted:

In Tales From Spider-Verse, "our" Peter met another Spidey during a lull in the battle, where they tried to figure out where their universes diverged. Only at the end do we see that the one he'd been talking to had a wedding ring on.

That's the Spider-Man we're going to see in Renew Your Vows.

Oh! So that's what that was. I was confused and wondering if there was supposed to be a revelation, never noticed the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
So, it's another one of those bits where they're teasing fans and not delivering again?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flameingblack posted:

So, it's another one of those bits where they're teasing fans and not delivering again?

There's no teasing. Everyone should be smart enough to know that all this Secret Wars stuff is just a temporary thing. If anyone thought that Peter was going to be married again because of Secret Wars they deserve whatever disappointment comes their way for not understanding how this event works.

Do you also think that Captain America and Iron Man are going to be cowboys forever too?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think he meant by have Slott write it.

That counts as teasing IMO.

Also we do know that certain Battleworlds poo poo is gonna stick, we just don't know which yet.

The only confirmed is the UU.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As with several other books, the books that are being replaced temporarily by alternate versions of those titles are mostly keeping the same writers as the regular book. Slott with Spider-Man, David with the 2099 book, Humphries with Star Lord and Kitty, Aaron with Thors, Bendis with the Guardians book, Duggan with the Deadpool book and so on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sometimes you gotta hope man.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
I was hoping it was going to be an additional mini to whatever Slott's doing with the ongoing. Like, someone else really wanted to write the Spider-Marriage and pitched it, and they could get away with it because it was Secret Wars.

It was a vain hope.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sometimes you gotta hope man.

Not really Marvel's fault, though

WickedHate posted:

You don't see how "The person you THOUGHT was a GIRL was ACTUALLY A GUY!" is offensive to trans people?

Yeah, you know what? You're totally right. I wasn't thinking of it that way.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Silk was World-Building today but I still think she's so much better of a character than when Slott had her, and she's very readable now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Stacey Lee seemed to be given rein to get a little more manga with her art in this issue, too, and it worked pretty well for the scene with Cindy's ex. I mean, she lived in a bunker for ten yea- She's the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, except Korean and a superhero!

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Silk was pretty good. I also enjoyed ASM 16.1. Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice little start to a down to Earth Spider-man story.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cindy is much better when she isn't being a dirty Slott.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Yeah, I have practically no money for comics right now, but I'm going to keep supporting Silk, because it's awesome.

She's compelling enough in her own series that it just makes me regret that much more that Slott chose to debut her by pointlessly killing off Assassin Spider-Man.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gaz-L posted:

Stacey Lee seemed to be given rein to get a little more manga with her art in this issue, too, and it worked pretty well for the scene with Cindy's ex. I mean, she lived in a bunker for ten yea- She's the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, except Korean and a superhero!

I agree on both of these points.

This is a really cute comic, i'm glad it and Spider-gwen are happening right now.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Best Spidey moment of the day is in Mighty Avengers. You should all read Mighty Avengers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I agree on both of these points.

This is a really cute comic, i'm glad it and Spider-gwen are happening right now.

Yeah, to elaborate, Cindy's reaction to her ex and his girlfriend was basically that of a teenage girl, not a woman in her late 20s (Cindy's supposed to be nearly 30, right? Because Pete's like 26 and she was older than him when she got bitten?), and for that, the manga O_O; style reaction was pretty solid. Because of course she's still there emotionally, she was locked underground for a decade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dreqqus posted:

Best Spidey moment of the day is in Mighty Avengers. You should all read Mighty Avengers.

"Never should have taught him to poop."

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
They did more with Silk in the first issue than that creepy Slott did.

Was a big fan of issue 1 bought 2 last night looking forward to reading it. Issue 1 was the best Spider anything I've read in a while.

Lovely art too.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

hadji murad posted:

They did more with Silk in the first issue than that creepy Slott did.

Was a big fan of issue 1 bought 2 last night looking forward to reading it. Issue 1 was the best Spider anything I've read in a while.

Lovely art too.

It actually got me to subscribe to the digital version. Marvel Guided View reading format is pretty neat.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The issue was pretty great, it goes to show how barely OK ideas can be pretty good when give to someone willing to work them and not be creepy about it (though the idea of a tentacle monster fighting Silk had to have been intentional).

Just realized the UKS relation, now I want Cindy to live with a fame seeker guy and a crazy old lady.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Okay so I read Spider-Gwen and thought it was pretty amazing.

I have this nasty feeling Silk and Spider-Woman are both really great too. So I should probably just read those also?

edit: i think my question is "is there going to be too much Spider-Person in my life if I read three spider-comics?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LordPants posted:

Okay so I read Spider-Gwen and thought it was pretty amazing.

I have this nasty feeling Silk and Spider-Woman are both really great too. So I should probably just read those also?

edit: i think my question is "is there going to be too much Spider-Person in my life if I read three spider-comics?"
Spider-Woman and Silk are both good, read their first issues and decide if you like the characters. People were less enthusiastic about Spider-Woman, but I like the idea of "Avenger wants to go back to street vigilante and keeps loving up"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the real issue is she was never a street vigilante. She was in with spies and HYDRA and weird magic poo poo effectively from birth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I think the real issue is she was never a street vigilante. She was in with spies and HYDRA and weird magic poo poo effectively from birth.

And you can't see how she might be sick of that and want to be more "normal" (at least for a superhero)?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dreqqus posted:

Silk was pretty good. I also enjoyed ASM 16.1. Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice little start to a down to Earth Spider-man story.

Yes, this was a good week for Spidey-Fans. I cannot believe how much I enjoy Silk. It was a good companion book to Squirrel Girl, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

radlum posted:

The issue was pretty great, it goes to show how barely OK ideas can be pretty good when give to someone willing to work them and not be creepy about it (though the idea of a tentacle monster fighting Silk had to have been intentional).

Just realized the UKS relation, now I want Cindy to live with a fame seeker guy and a crazy old lady.

Pinot Noir, Fantasticar!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

radlum posted:

The cover of issue 4 shows her on a date with Johnny Storm, so that's probably on target.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Up to date on Silk now my only criticism is the writers knowledge of hockey positions.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dreqqus posted:

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

OH

MY

GOD

NEXTWAVE IS CANON

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

OH

MY

GOD

NEXTWAVE IS CANON

Eh, only kind of. They've completely changed what The Beyond Corporation is.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Caught the last issue of ASM, not sure why we're getting half an issue of Black Cat but I'm assuming it is so Slott can catch up post-Spider-Verse.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So after being robbed of my most prized comic books and finding out the store they were sold to already sold them before I got there after tracking them down, they offered me a major discount on any comic I wanted. Kind of a pity discount. But yeah they felt really bad I had my 4 favorite books stolen and fraud committed in their store, so I got this near mint copy for next to nothing on it's retail value.

The shadows and weird semi plastic bag they gave it to me in may cause some glaring or weird shadows on it in that picture (especially at the bottom with that weird discoloration. It is not there on the actual book). But this thing is as close to mint as I have ever seen. There isn't even marks on the spine from having it even been opened. There are two of the absolutely tiniest tiny less than a millimeter nicks on the bottom that I didn't even notice until a thorough inspection. Either way, I got a fantastic deal due to their store being involved with fraud :v: . Thought I would share it with you all :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You know you could probably have forced them to tell you who they sold it to and recover your stolen goods, right?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

They were stolen by my brother out of my room and he sold them for drug money (lovely, I know). He was with me to go get them back. They offered to return them for the price at which they gave him cash for, which was very fair, but unfortunately they already had sold. It was a first appearance Mary Jane, first non comics code authority comic: #96, a signed copy of #66 by John Romita, and an issue #36 which wasn't all that valuable or anything. But it was my very first spider-man comic I ever bought and it was Ditko art so I was a fan of it.

e: also they didn't have a record of who they sold it to. Only a record of who they bought it from. Which I already knew. Seeing as he was standing next to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's sloppy book-keeping! At least you got a neat comic out of it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Agreed. I think I would've traded all 4 of those books outright for this 121 no questions asked. I'm pissed I lost those other books but the upside is I got a book I never thought I'd have the expendable income for, due to a ridiculous discount.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That's sloppy book-keeping! At least you got a neat comic out of it.

If they used a credit card, legally they're supposed to contact the buyer and tell them they bought stolen goods. I've been through this a few times. I have a pretty great customer who only pays cash because he once bought stolen comics and in the end the police seized them as he received stolen goods and he never got his cash back. Ever since he's cash only.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That'll probably increase in value now that Gwen is the hot name in Spider Town.

That first Mary Jane though..

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

If they used a credit card, legally they're supposed to contact the buyer and tell them they bought stolen goods. I've been through this a few times. I have a pretty great customer who only pays cash because he once bought stolen comics and in the end the police seized them as he received stolen goods and he never got his cash back. Ever since he's cash only.

The store isn't required to refund him in that case? I'm not saying you're in charge of that and at fault if it was at your place, but just in general, but I'd thought there'd be laws or whatever in place to help people who buy stolen goods and compensate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

The store isn't required to refund him in that case? I'm not saying you're in charge of that and at fault if it was at your place, but just in general, but I'd thought there'd be laws or whatever in place to help people who buy stolen goods and compensate them.

In some cases. I believe in Indiana it's governed under pawn laws which get weird. Technically if you pay cash for anything you have to hold a pawn license but they don't really police it.

The last time this happened I bought three boxes of comics, mostly decent 70-80's Marvel stuff. I think I paid out $150. Nothing seemed off about the guy at all, we took the books and gave him cash, just wrote his name in the log book. When word got around that a collection had been stolen I realized part of it was what I had purchased. But we'd already sold almost all of it. The owner wanted his books back, not cash so his insurance actually ended up taking care of it and since it was petty on our end we didn't pay anything, we just surrendered the remaining books back to him. We don't take the names of everyone who buys back issues and to avoid stupid things like inventory I have two barcodes for old comics so it's actually kind of a huge headache to trace purchases to customers even with credit cards.

And in case anyone is curious about what I mean about the barcodes, When I put a book into back issues, it is removed from our regular inventory and I place a printed barcode that reads MISC22 on it. This is my back issue code. Every back issue gets one and they are all $1.00 each. That way it's very easy to just count by the box instead of checking every physical books. For high dollar books I put a code on the back that reads CBBIN which is "comic book back issue of note." We don't do a lot with high dollar stuff, I usually pass it along to a few specific customers right away but it's still easier to keep them all the same code with adjustable pricing.

Whoa shop talk.

• Locked thread