Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well it appears that she doesn't even have the real Joker face sewn into her own

Where's that? Joker has the the thing in Endgame, but that's post-Eternal.

Granted, I haven't had the pleasure of reading every Joker's Daughter featured comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

You shut your god damned mouth.

Oh I know let's make the most useless loving character ever into a god damned VAMPIRE, the fans will surely love her now!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd love Jubes if it weren't for her racist powers. She's better without them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bottom Liner posted:

Those work great sequentially, but the whole point of superhero comics is that they triumph over fears and low points. The original depicted that low point, just like Knightfall did with the iconic back-breaker. It makes their triumph mean something in the end.
Except the part where in the original she's in her current threads and clearly helpless, so it does not depict a low point which is subsequently triumphed over - it references a famous low point that was triumphed over but does so in a way that inadvertently suggests that actually nothing has changed for her and she's still the victim not the victor of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ghostlight posted:

Except the part where in the original she's in her current threads and clearly helpless, so it does not depict a low point which is subsequently triumphed over - it references a famous low point that was triumphed over but does so in a way that inadvertently suggests that actually nothing has changed for her and she's still the victim not the victor of it.

Yeah, it would be a terrible main cover but I really don't see the issue with is being a variant, they rarely have anything to do with the story line and are often wacky or dark or generally off-tone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I really don't see the issue with is being a variant

The authors don't want it on their book, for one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

This is it in a nutshell. A year ago this cover wouldn't have been a big deal because Gail Simone's Batgirl was a worthless, whiny wast of a character.

VVV

CharlestheHammer posted:

Plus variants are usually like right next to the regular covers so it there isn't an practical difference between in being a variant or not.

This is also correct. drat near every shop I know of shelves the 50/50's either beside the standard or alternating with them on a stack.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 19, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus variants are usually like right next to the regular covers so it there isn't an practical difference between in being a variant or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, it would be a terrible main cover but I really don't see the issue with is being a variant, they rarely have anything to do with the story line and are often wacky or dark or generally off-tone.

The issue with the variant, is that some people expressed displeasure with it, and those critics received death threats, so the artist asked for it to be pulled.

Also this:

Teenage Fansub posted:

The authors don't want it on their book, for one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I guess I just really take issue with changing/censoring/removing art because some people find it offensive. That's just a core issue I can never agree with, regardless of the dumb drama on both sides of this issue. I'm more mad that the artist didn't stand by his work than anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This isn't censorship, its the free market at work bitch.

Also I don't understand why you got to stand by your work no matter what, that is just dumb.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

I guess I just really take issue with changing/censoring/removing art because some people find it offensive.

If you're so wound up over artistic integrity, consider that the author had it forced on the book without their knowlege and against their will, the artist who actually did the cover was told to change it to make it more rapey while it was being made, and the artist wanted it canceled primarily because of the behavior of the people who were defending it rather then the people calling for it to be changed.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also I don't understand why you got to stand by your work no matter what, that is just dumb.

People can never change their mind or be brought around to another point of view, they must always die with the ship. Obviously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bottom Liner posted:

I guess I just really take issue with changing/censoring/removing art because some people find it offensive. That's just a core issue I can never agree with, regardless of the dumb drama on both sides of this issue. I'm more mad that the artist didn't stand by his work than anything.

It's not a form a censorship to threaten art critics with death?

I seriously don't think you know what censorship actually means.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Remember when they canceled Nextwave because it didn't make any financial sense to publish further issues of the series? CENSORSHIP PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Giving Spider-Gwen an ongoing series was a rare example of reverse censorship.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think protesting a company to change a piece of art is a form of censorship, yes. I don't give a drat about the outlandish threats and attacks Tumblr and Twitter users make on both sides, if you click the various hashtags you'll see threats coming from all sides towards DC, artists, critics, and defenders. It's a total shitstorm and no side is righteous do-gooders through and through.

All I care about at the end of the day is that a lot of protesting led to a company and artist deciding to not release a piece of art they had up to that point been ready to publish. I don't like that trend, and as another artist said on Twitter, "The Killing Joke couldn't be published today. If this is progress, why does it feel like we're going backwards?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty sure Rafael still got paid for his work so at the end of the day he's the victor in all this. It's not like he didn't get to draw the art he wanted or that he's forever banned from making art in the future.

Nothing was lost here. Batgirl will continue, people will still be making variant covers, and maybe editor's will do their job before soliciting material (lol!).

Bottom Liner posted:

I think protesting a company to change a piece of art is a form of censorship, yes. I don't give a drat about the outlandish threats and attacks Tumblr and Twitter users make on both sides, if you click the various hashtags you'll see threats coming from all sides towards DC, artists, critics, and defenders. It's a total shitstorm and no side is righteous do-gooders through and through.

All I care about at the end of the day is that a lot of protesting led to a company and artist deciding to not release a piece of art they had up to that point been ready to publish. I don't like that trend, and as another artist said on Twitter, "The Killing Joke couldn't be published today. If this is progress, why does it feel like we're going backwards?"

I guess it's a good thing they haven't stopped publishing it in 27 years. They'll probably release a super mega deluxo release for its 30th.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 19, 2015

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

If there's one thing DC and Marvel has learned to weather by now, it's fan outrage. As long as Dan Slott keeps writing Spider-Man, I won't understand how someone could believe that the evil Twitter mobs forced poor, helpless DC to pull the cover.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The biggest irony of all is that a lot more people were exposed to such a "triggering" image than would have been if the drat thing had just been released normally anyways.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I think protesting a company to change a piece of art is a form of censorship, yes.
And I believe the sky is orange, doesn't make it true.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't give a drat about the outlandish threats and attacks Tumblr and Twitter users make on both sides, if you click the various hashtags you'll see threats coming from all sides towards DC, artists, critics, and defenders. It's a total shitstorm and no side is righteous do-gooders through and through.
Stop with this dumb both sides are wrong poo poo, it doesn't work and just makes you look dumb.

Bottom Liner posted:

The Killing Joke could be printed today easily, don't be dumb. Hell a lot worse have been published.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 19, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bottom Liner posted:

I think protesting a company to change a piece of art is a form of censorship, yes.
Really? I think it's the public exercising free speech.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think you will find its only free speech when it supports my side sir.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

"The Killing Joke couldn't be published today. If this is progress, why does it feel like we're going backwards?"

There are definitely no comics with rape published today. Yup. That sure is a true statement.

Bottom Liner posted:

The biggest irony of all is that a lot more people were exposed to such a "triggering" image than would have been if the drat thing had just been released normally anyways.

You might be the worst goon ever, and that's including the murderers.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Bottom Liner posted:

"Both sides of this argument are wrong but I'm going to rather unsubtly imply that one side is demonstrably at fault contra the actual, stated rationale for this decision."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

"Both sides of this argument are wrong but I'm going to subtly imply that one side is demonstrably at fault contra the actual, stated rationale for this decision."

It was pulled because people were threatening the protesters, but it's still the protester's fault!...Somehow. Censorship! :argh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It was never about the image being "triggering." It was entirely about it being tonally terrible. Hell, even CNN covered it and every tweet against it amounts to "this is not appropriate for the story."

That's not to say there aren't arguments about the cover's sexual nature but from the start people were calling it out for being a bad decision. It' even stands out against the other 14 super playful Joker covers.

It would've been a better idea if it was Joker splayed out on the floor reminiscent of The Killing Joke but Barbara is taking a selfie. Someone give me $500 for that idea I'll even draw it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Really? I think it's the public exercising free speech.

CharlestheHammer posted:

And I believe the sky is orange, doesn't make it true

Stop with this dumb both sides are wrong poo poo, it doesn't work and just makes you look dumb.

censor
noun
an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.

So yeah, protesting for censorship is a form of censorship, what else would you call it?

And I didn't say both sides are wrong, I said both sides have people acting like poo poo heads, which is obvious if you scroll through any of those feeds. I can see why the cover is a bad fit for the book, but I also don't think it should have been dropped. I'm neutral on the actual cover, but the principal of how and why it was dropped is what bothers me. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Boycott it, don't call for censoring and suppressing art. Leave that to the loving terrorists who can't handle offensive images without murdering people.

Also, the whole "the artist decided to not release it because he didn't like the way the fans of it acted" is a bad move on his part too. It's the same as the Fez dev saying "gently caress you" to his fans and cancelling the game, all because he didn't like the vocal ones on the internet. Taking your ball and going home is weak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

You might be the worst goon ever, and that's including the murderers.

Wait, we have those?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Wait, we have those?

At least one or two, I'm pretty sure. I know one was banned afterwards with just like, "Murderer" for the reason and it was completely serious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

censor
noun
an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.
lol you why post the definition if you are just going to ignore half of it? Look at that first half carefully.

Bottom Liner posted:

And I didn't say both sides are wrong, I said both sides have people acting like poo poo heads, which is obvious if you scroll through any of those feeds. I can see why the cover is a bad fit for the book, but I also don't think it should have been dropped. I'm neutral on the actual cover, but the principal of how and why it was dropped is what bothers me. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Boycott it, don't call for censoring and suppressing art. Leave that to the loving terrorists who can't handle offensive images without murdering people.
But according to you, boycotting is censorship, or do you not know the basic point behind a boycott, it isn't a meaningless gesture, by the by.

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, the whole "the artist decided to not release it because he didn't like the way the fans of it acted" is a bad move on his part too. It's the same as the Fez dev saying "gently caress you" to his fans and cancelling the game, all because he didn't like the vocal ones on the internet. Taking your ball and going home is weak.
That isn't why he pulled it. He agreed with their complaints.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol you why post the definition if you are just going to ignore half of it? Look at that first half carefully.

DC is the official in control, with the protesters demanding it be suppressed for objectionable material. Big leap, I know.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bottom Liner posted:

The problem wasn't the art, it was the context.

Bottom Liner posted:

Boycott it, don't call for censoring and suppressing art.
But you said protesting in support of censorship is censorship!

boycott
/ˈbɔɪkɒt/
verb
(transitive) to refuse to have dealings with (a person, organization, etc) or refuse to buy (a product) as a protest or means of coercion: to boycott foreign produce

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bottom Liner posted:

censor
noun

So yeah, protesting for censorship is a form of censorship, what else would you call it?
That definition is talking about a government official, and is completely irrelevant to what happened and what people were wanting to happen.

quote:

the principal of how and why it was dropped is what bothers me. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Boycott it, don't call for censoring and suppressing art.
If you don't like something don't buy it, but for god's sake don't talk about why you don't like it, or try and convince other people not to buy it.

If you talked about it you'd be suppressing free speech.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

DC is the official in control, with the protesters demanding it be suppressed for objectionable material. Big leap, I know.

That is a huge leap and basically makes any disagreement where one side concedes censorship.

Rendering the term meaningless. Though at this point it basically is meaningless, especially in the US.

This is some French Revolution committee of public safety thinking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They can talk about why they don't like it all day, of course. The problem I have is when they make it so that no one can consume the media they find offensive. That's a bad path that will lead to nothing good being produced because all of the companies will be too scared of publishing anything offensive to any group. I clearly meant boycott as in don't purchase, as I said. Vote with your wallet. Chill with the mental gymnastics. That's why I said changed/censored/removed in my initial post, because whatever you call it, it's a slippery slope.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I have to wonder how a government would be run if Dan DiDio was in charge.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

It's certainly a slippery sloper fallacy, if nothing else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Like take this panel

And have Joker on the Floor and Batgirl taking the picture. Boom, you have cover that pays homage to your fans' nostalgia that also fits the tone of the book GIVE ME MONEY DC MY IDEAS ARE BETTER THAN YOURS

Bottom Liner posted:

Ah oh god I just drew this tentacle porn variant for Adventure Time but I can't erase it or I'll be censoring myself!

Also "voting with your wallet" is the most flawed argument ever. If no one bought the variant cover then Rafael would suffer. DC would perceive the lack of interest is the result of the artist, not their marketing.

Being vocal is how you tell companies you don't like something. Like imagine if there was no uproar over the Xbox One's announcement and nobody bought the thing, how many thousands of people would lose their job as a result if Microsoft didn't have a chance to fix the perceived problems?

"This meal is lovely. Better not tell the chef, he'll get it when I stop eating here."

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

goldenoreos posted:

I have to wonder how a government would be run if Dan DiDio was in charge.

Restaurants wouldn't be allowed to sell chicken wings after 6 pm.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Will somebody think of the poor multinational corporation's right to artistic expression! Just think of the important message communicated by the banned cover of Batgirl, such as women are inferior to men and deserve to be crushed and brutalized with sexual violence. We need more multinational companies expressing these important and necessary sociopolitical messages because and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like not enough attention is brought to the fact you not only don't know what censorship is, but boycott either.

because lol.

• Locked thread