Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BadLlama posted:

The Japanese get 3 destroyers that both have higher speed and better maneuverability than their equal tier US counter-part. The US, only gets one which magically happens to be the one you chose to compare. You under value the ability to poo poo out torpedoes at a cap 10KM away when this game is full of retards just like WoT.

I will concede that a 45 second turret turn time is too drat high.

...You're absolutely right. I mean, it's not like I could have gone up another tier, where the US destroyer is STILL faster than its IJN counterpart and their maneuverability is tied, while also gaining torpedoes with >10km range, or to Tier X, where the IJN regains the speed advantage while the US actually gains LONGER RANGED TORPEDOES. No, clearly I was cherry-picking. You made the argument that US destroyers would not be worth playing if IJN guns became not-horrible, which is a ridiculous statement. True, US destroyers start at a significant disadvantage in regards to their torpedoes, while the IJN ones have poo poo gunnery. The issue is the US ones steadily gain better torpedoes as they go up in tier, with their only disadvantage at the highest one being reduced damage, while IJN gunnery is just as poo poo at Tier X as it is at Tier I.

Hell, the Tier VI IJN destroyer is horrible to switch to from the previous tier, because it starts with 6 km torpedoes for some ungodly reason with no real benefit to balance it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Hell, the Tier VI IJN destroyer is horrible to switch to from the previous tier, because it starts with 6 km torpedoes for some ungodly reason with no real benefit to balance it out.

No you've made your point, IJN turrets should not be awful. The difference in turn times is pretty ridiculous. As for tier 6 the same thing happens with US destroyers just when we start getting much needed longer range torps they go ahead and jam some 4.5km ones down our dickholes.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Considering that there's a couple of destroyers that are just straight downgrades from the preceding ship (looking at you Mutsuki) I think it's safe to say that the complete overhaul DDs got last patch isn't quite done yet.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

drat. Do you guys have a suggestion forum or something? Tell them to put in dazzle camo for premium bux.

Dazzle checkerboard Erie..

Yes, it's flying the SA colors.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

demonR6 posted:

Yes, it's flying the SA colors.

It would rock if they made your ship's flag display your clan's icon once clans are implemented.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Patchnotes: http://worldofwarships.com/en/cbt/news/update-0302-downtime/

Most important thing: Added a limit of one aircraft carrier per squad.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Fart Car '97 posted:

Super quick and dirty but :catdrugs:

a level beyond dazzle camo

:allears:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

lol the Cleavland is like a little battleship. Solo a Miyogi sure why the hell not?

Also:

It's like the game punished me for being super efficient with my shots while dunking the poo poo out of another cruiser :mad:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Vorkosigan posted:

Wouldn't want a division to be too powerful by wasting their space on carriers...

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Fart Car '97 posted:

lol the Cleavland is like a little battleship. Solo a Miyogi sure why the hell not?

Also:

It's like the game punished me for being super efficient with my shots while dunking the poo poo out of another cruiser :mad:

The Cleve is a real threat to battleships, especially two of them that can actually shoot. Being under the guns of those things loving sucks.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, if you have an Aoba, do yourself a favor and buy the upgrade that increases your turret turn time along with the crew skill. Its super noticeable.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Vorkosigan posted:

Yes, lets take the most fun part about playing a carrier (playing a carrier with a friend) and just throw it right out. Don't want any of that here.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I don't get why sometimes torpedoes aren't visible until about 100m from the ship. I didn't even have time to turn until I saw an entire spread just show up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Eej posted:

My favourite British ship name, aside from HMS Gay Viking is the HMS Indefatigable. So good they used it 6 times over 2 centuries.

Jokes on Japan, the US had radar aim hacks while they still had to aim those monster guns manually. Actually I got a quick question for you beta havers, do Japanese ships get the option of having each ship have their own colour for shell explosions?

That's not just a Japan thing. I've established the French and US ships did the same.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Generation Internet posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I wanna play a carrier SO BAD right now.

No you don't. While playing the Lexington for a few rounds today I found myself alt-tabbing back to this forum several times until my planes were reloaded and I could do something again.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

rossmum posted:

I am suddenly really loving bad at this. I am not sure how or why, but it's very discouraging. :sigh:

Tell me about it. During weekend beta, I had over 60% win ratio. Now i'm down to 40%. The worst part is, I usually have good matches in which I perform either decent, or well. :iiam:

http://imgur.com/9uXvpsl
http://imgur.com/PqBYxnX
http://imgur.com/CqM0bIF
http://imgur.com/1ayR0NP
http://imgur.com/jsqoWoN

But then I have matches in which our friendly carrier rushes straight to B and promptly gets sunk, or everyone run after 1 ship and the enemy team gets to cap. :ms:

Hammerstein posted:

You used the words pubbies and learn in one sentence, back to sunday goon school with you.

Facing a Langley is not so bad with it's biplanes but the Independence is already a different beast. I also think that the relation between cruisers/BB and CVs is off by one tier. And it gets uglier with the Saipan and the mod 3 planes, because then you can launch 2 squadrons of TBs which have enough firepower to sink a Kongo in a single run if done properly.

I'm now in a Lexington and if left unmolested then my first strike usually sinks or at least badly cripples a BB. But - in the few instances where pubbies actually stuck together and cruisers used their barrage ability things became a lot harder and every strike could cost upwards of 50% of my planes.

I wasn't paying attention in one match with my Saipan. Both squads of TB and died in a matter of second trying to reach their target. I wondered why until I realized that their path took them right over 2 cruisers and 2 destroyers which all had AA. Higher tier AA is a fickle bitch and that is how I learnt about it.

SuperSix posted:

It's still a pain playing IJN DDs

Although their concealment is crazy. 6km detection basically means i can slip through most maps and right to the CVs, that + smoke is almost a guaranteed carrier kill or two

Still fuzzy on how smoke actually works. More than once, I had DD's disappear from less than 1 km away. But when I use my smoke on a DD, it seems like it does nothing and people can still target me easily. I just don't get it. Anyone care to explain (Yes, I disable AA/secondary when in smoke)

Poil posted:

Do dive bombers have any use beyond being sent in first to hopefully set fire to the ship you're about to torp? It's amazing how often pubbies blow their repair on the fire and then can't do anything about the flooding. Destroyers seem way too small and fast to be hit by bombers.

Dive bombers are great against destroyers. But you can't just click on the DD and expect the planes to do the job. You need to guide them in at the right angle. If done right, you will one shot lower tier DD (1-3) and seriously damage any higher tier. Its also great to get people to use their repair.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Vorkosigan posted:

Weird. I can't see any of that from my Euro IP and I find no patch info on the EU site, mind to copy&paste it here please ?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You guys weren't kidding when you guys said the St. Louis was good.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
What I'm gleaning from this thread is that the game is suffering most of the same balance and progression and pubbie issues that World of Tanks did and still does?

These IJN ships sound like loving dogshit.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For smoke you should be turning away or into your own smoke trail, as it does not fully conceal you as your DD deploys it, also if the smoke is thick enough, you can sit still in it and go all guns fireing and not be detected even at 1km out of the nearest enemy ship

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

zxqv8 posted:

What I'm gleaning from this thread is that the game is suffering most of the same balance and progression and pubbie issues that World of Tanks did and still does?

It's loads better than WoT even in this state. The main problem is balance, yes, but that's because it's early closed beta and there's only two (incomplete) tech trees in the game.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

One of the balance problems is that they want to stick to at least somewhat historical ship specs while having that huge rng on board. And this is just bound to screw over certain nations like the Brits, because ultimately it seems that it's more important to lob a lot of shells over the horizon than especially powerful ones.

Bismarck - supposedly tier 8, with 4x2 15" against the Amagi's 10 and the North Carolina's 9 barrels.
Yamato - tier 10, 3x3 18", vs the Montana's 4x3 16".

The more shells you can fire the bigger the chance that you will score a crit or damage something important. So far I don't see how other equalizers like a good armor penetration value, high muzzle velocity or a larger caliber could make up for sheer quantity.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

zxqv8 posted:

I have no love for Wargaming, but this is a legit fun game. It has some issues, but it's still a closed beta, so I can't find myself too pissed off about them. Mostly because it's a fun game.

IJN ships aren't bad. Everyone complains about their destroyer turrets because they're slower than dog poo poo, but you can still use them, and their torps are pretty cool. Their cruisers are kind of neat, and don't suffer from the turret issues that their DDs do.

It's kind of hard to really weigh nation balance right now, because there's a bunch of stuff missing. It doesn't really matter anyways, because every nation fights together.

I really hope the gun portion of the game doesn't turn into WoT bullshit where you want to kill yourself if you're stuck with a stock gun. It's nice that stock ships are actually threatening and dangerous.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I really hope the gun portion of the game doesn't turn into WoT bullshit where you want to kill yourself if you're stuck with a stock gun. It's nice that stock ships are actually threatening and dangerous.
This is a pretty key thing, IMO. They've found a nice balance so that the upgrades do feel meaningful, but stock ships aren't gimped buckets of pig vomit.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Seriously this. On top of that, the tiers mean that higher is better, but not higher is impossible to play against. Earlier I was put up against mostly tier 7/8s while in my tier 5 Omaha but was able to hold my own for the most part. In WoT that tier difference would have meant I was better off in a body bag at the round start.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Hammerstein posted:

No you don't. While playing the Lexington for a few rounds today I found myself alt-tabbing back to this forum several times until my planes were reloaded and I could do something again.

But I want to find that out for myself, then I can play the real game of posting about it on the forums like everyone else here.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Also you know how having poo poo crews sucks in WoT? Here crew exp gives perks only. So that part of the grind goes away.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Hai guys I just unlocked my Amagi and just made a new skin for it! POI!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

TheDemon posted:

Also you know how having poo poo crews sucks in WoT? Here crew exp gives perks only. So that part of the grind goes away.

:ohdear: I hate to break it to you but having the -10% service time, +10% gun damage and +1 fighter/bomber perk on a CV captain makes quite a difference.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I have no love for Wargaming, but this is a legit fun game. It has some issues, but it's still a closed beta, so I can't find myself too pissed off about them. Mostly because it's a fun game.

IJN ships aren't bad. Everyone complains about their destroyer turrets because they're slower than dog poo poo, but you can still use them, and their torps are pretty cool. Their cruisers are kind of neat, and don't suffer from the turret issues that their DDs do.

It's kind of hard to really weigh nation balance right now, because there's a bunch of stuff missing. It doesn't really matter anyways, because every nation fights together.

This is all good to hear. I guess I should have noted that I am considering the early state of the game when I make those comments, but I think WoT still has a problem of your next tier tank generally being shittier than the fully upgraded one that you were driving before (I haven't played in over a year, so grain of salt there) and that was a horrible thing to have to deal with. I think the only tank progression I can remember not entirely sucking rear end was going from Tiger to Tiger II, because the long 88 was entirely serviceable even at tier 8. Maybe T29 to T32 too, but there were also a lot of tank lines I didn't play so maybe I'm missing something or maybe that's changed. I would just hate for that to continue to be the case in this game.

I'm currently waiting for them to let me in the loving thing or hoping I find an invite code sometime.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

One of the balance problems is that they want to stick to at least somewhat historical ship specs while having that huge rng on board. And this is just bound to screw over certain nations like the Brits, because ultimately it seems that it's more important to lob a lot of shells over the horizon than especially powerful ones.

Bismarck - supposedly tier 8, with 4x2 15" against the Amagi's 10 and the North Carolina's 9 barrels.

The more shells you can fire the bigger the chance that you will score a crit or damage something important. So far I don't see how other equalizers like a good armor penetration value, high muzzle velocity or a larger caliber could make up for sheer quantity.

A bigger number multiplied by zero is still zero, and if armor works right, that's no chance of getting citadel hits you have if the thick armor haver is driving their ship right. Also the rng still isn't as big as the difficulty of getting salvoes into the right spot. It's a numbers game through and through, and the one with the odds on their side tends to win.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

So, if you have an Aoba, do yourself a favor and buy the upgrade that increases your turret turn time along with the crew skill. Its super noticeable.

Yeah, as much as I wanted to buy the upgrade for improved AA, the one for main battery reload/turn time is great. It's even better when paired with the 20% rudder movement speed upgrade. Then again, that upgrade seems a like a bit of a no-brainer. When would you ever not want an easier time of throwing off people's aim and turning away from torpedoes?

I think I'll go AA heavy on the Cleveland since it does it better at its tier and the smaller guns are probably more serviceable without upgrades.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hammerstein posted:

:ohdear: I hate to break it to you but having the -10% service time, +10% gun damage and +1 fighter/bomber perk on a CV captain makes quite a difference.

Carriers are the worst-balanced part of the game in general though.

Whatever they do to buff their power, they absolutely gotta do something to make them less boring to play.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ToiletDuckie posted:

Yeah, as much as I wanted to buy the upgrade for improved AA, the one for main battery reload/turn time is great. It's even better when paired with the 20% rudder movement speed upgrade. Then again, that upgrade seems a like a bit of a no-brainer. When would you ever not want an easier time of throwing off people's aim and turning away from torpedoes?

I think I'll go AA heavy on the Cleveland since it does it better at its tier and the smaller guns are probably more serviceable without upgrades.

Main battery turn time upgrade is kind of pants for US DD and heavy cruisers because they're at the fast end of the caliber range, keep that in mind. On the other hand, one of those really painful things is if the turrets can outturn the ship or you have to stay stationary to aim and shoot.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hammerstein posted:

They'll just give Bismarck torpedoes to make up for it.

Seriously.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

They'll just give Bismarck torpedoes to make up for it.

Seriously.

Above water so they might. Bet the firing angles suck and maneuvering to actually fire the things just gets your belt shredded and your citadel filled with love because you always angle your drat belt.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are only a few instances of ships being worse than the fully upgraded ships below them. The only one I've had to play so far was the Phoenix, and that's less 'bad' than it is 'not the St. Loius'.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ToiletDuckie posted:

Yeah, I might need to pick that up since I keep having to dodge torps all game.

Slightly related:

I might need to work on my ship skinning a bit. :downs:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Phoenix used to be a downgrade but now it's a matter of not gaining firepower in return for considerable speed and not having to keep the enemy exactly off your broadside, which is really painful and compromising when you start taking return fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Cleavland is such a good ship, god drat. The constant rain of those 4x3s is just nuts, they melt everything.