Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

starkebn posted:

What a great OP this thread has.

Its like someone took care and effort. Shame aboit the rest of the thread though haw haw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Robodog posted:

if we kill the rich then eat the rich we will all be fat and then nobody will be fat

think about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRoSJ1y1FSY

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
*phone rings*

*pick up*

"Hello"

*silence*

"... Hi, I'm Mike Baird, with your support we can keep our state working..."

*hangs up*

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lid posted:

*phone rings*

*pick up*

"Hello"

*silence*

"... Hi, I'm Mike Baird, with your support we can keep our state working..."

*hangs up*

Yeah, I've been getting a lot of robocalls recently. Wish it was a sign of desperation and not how much money they have to throw around.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Mattjpwns posted:

can we go back to talking how the ALP needs to be burned to the ground for being a bunch of pathetic spineless hacks?

tia

gently caress, even HouseChat was better than this.

Surely im not the only one that thought housechat was the peak

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That silence at the start of a call is the tell

If it was a friend tell them to talk faster but 99% of the time it's a robo or telemarketer

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why is the ABC paying Charlie Pickering to make a crappier version of Mad As Hell for any reason

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Endman posted:

Sounds like why Turnbull was deposed as Liberal leader.

Maybe, but the party did not destroy itself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

bowmore posted:

That silence at the start of a call is the tell

If it was a friend tell them to talk faster but 99% of the time it's a robo or telemarketer

So many silent phone calls before someone with a South-East Asian accent comes in, with a very loud room behind them sounding like a foodcourt, offering for me to either buy funeral insurance, that my microsoft computer has a virus, or that they are calling from telstra that they have been hacked and that they have to cut off my internet.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Are the robo calls from private numbers? I have them disabled on my phone but am getting 5 - 10 a day atm.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Not exclusively, no.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dante18907 posted:

My friend Gold Standard Conure pointed me in the direction of this thread, and to the attention of BCR, with regards to issues with my current pay scheme and determining the pay bracket etc I should be in so that I have some information to back me up when I go to my rear end in a top hat boss to ask if I can please be paid well.

Info;

Job: Computer Technician/Onsite Service Engineer
Job Description: I perform onsite break fix and troubleshooting for National Companies like Fujitsu and RSS for customers ranging from Coles and Target to the ATO and Aurizon as well as in-office IT support for the company I work for directly and some printer maintenance for the same companies photocopier fleet.
Wage: $17.40/hr with $137.31/week (equates to $3.61 an hour for a total of $21.01/hr) FLAT car allowance and $0.32/km allowance
Allowances: I currently get paid a car allowance in a flat rate/week as well as a rate/kilometer of business travel.

From my cursory lookings I THINK that I am under the MA000021: Business Equipment Award 2010. I currently do not have a copy of my contract though I will be trying to get one, and I don't know if there are any clauses in my contract that exclude me from awards etc or specifically what award my contract is covering me with.

The ideal outcome for me would be that I would be taken off the car allowance and brought into line with the other technicians in the workshop ($25/hr) and I am fine with still using my car for the work. I currently do not have the solid information at my disposal to propose this to my boss, who is a very tight individual when it comes to money and wages.

I am almost certain everyone working here is getting ripped off when it comes to OT and other things in the contracts. I would also like some information RE, who to turn to should he turn me down, as there are very few available jobs in Mackay in this industry and I am unable to move from here for the foreseeable future.

Let me know if you need any more information.

:siren: BCR :siren:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why is the ABC paying Charlie Pickering to make a crappier version of Mad As Hell for any reason

I think its meant to be a crap version of This Week Tonight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

Are the robo calls from private numbers? I have them disabled on my phone but am getting 5 - 10 a day atm.

I just got another one from ReachTEL or whatever. I'll check once the message has finished talking to an empty phone trying to survey me.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/doncaster-teenager-masa-vukotic-suspect-sean-price-threatened-to-kill-police-20150319-1m35ym.html

Kill the sick.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Honestly this is the part throwing me

quote:

In 2004, Mr Price turned himself in to police and then pleaded guilty to 22 charges of raping, indecently assaulting and threatening to kill young women in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

He attacked six women and a 13 year old girl in daylight hours in suburbs incuding Kew, Camberwell and Balwyn between February 2002 and June 2003.

The court heard at the time that he sexually assaulted a mother of two in her home, attacked a 13-year-old schoolgirl and raped a 21-year-old woman on a footpath.

He also confessed that he had committed similar crimes in NSW, but he was not charged with them.

The court was told in 2004 that Price, who was abused as a child, suffered from schizophrenia and psychosis. He was sentenced to a maximum of eight years and two months in hospital detention, with five years and five months to be served, and ordered to be registered as a sexual offender.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I wasn't aware that hospital detention had a maximum length, given the fact that you're being put there because you're loving bonkers and may at that time still be completely loving bonkers.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Was he fat tho

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Gough Suppressant posted:

I wasn't aware that hospital detention had a maximum length, given the fact that you're being put there because you're loving bonkers and may at that time still be completely loving bonkers.

Hospital can keep you indefinitely. If you're not sick / crazy enough for them to decide a bed is worthwhile then you'll get released. Basically you need to keep presenting as hosed up or they let you go.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gough Suppressant posted:

Thats whats throwing me - this guy is a schizophrenic rapist and he gets out of hospitals and later jailed without hospitalisation. He's a clear case of someone whose sickness makes them a complete danger to the community. Eight years for 22 counts seems low too but thats without context.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

Hospital can keep you indefinitely. If you're not sick / crazy enough for them to decide a bed is worthwhile then you'll get released. Basically you need to keep presenting as hosed up or they let you go.

Considering after he was released and then was jailed again where he proceeded to literally piss and poo poo all over his cell he was completely nuts.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

quote:

While NBN Co is paying Telstra nearly $100 billion over the next thirty years for the copper in the street, maintenance of the copper and “help” to do the FTTN rollout, Telstra will retain ownership of the pits, ducts, traps and other key infrastructure.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2015/3/19/technology/nbn-fibre-cost-shock

lmao

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jesus loving Christ.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
welp

'Even God can’t help you here': Nauru refugees describe a life devoid of hope

Refugees who have been settled on the Pacific island of Nauru under Australia’s offshore asylum policy have told the Guardian in covert interviews of their deep sense of helplessness, and fear of Nauruans who resent their presence.

Since May, more than 400 people who were detained after trying to arrive in Australia by boat have been found to be refugees and released into an island population of less than 10,000. Their arrival has convulsed Nauruan society and there is growing antipathy towards them.

They live in several guarded camps dotted around the island. Their cramped quarters provide the basics, but little more. In the following interviews they describe a monotonous and unsafe existence devoid of hope. Many are escaping through a heavy regimen of sleeping pills. Depression is ubiquitous.

The refugees’ future is uncertain. The Nauruan government has given them five-year visas; Australia has said they will never be allowed to settle there.

Tony Abbott’s government has pursued the policy vigorously, but the Australian stance is essentially bipartisan. It was the former Labor prime minister Kevin Rudd who made the announcement that still defines Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers: “Arriving in Australia by boat will no longer mean settlement in Australia,” he said before the 2013 election (in which Abbott eventually trounced him). Rudd’s policy drew criticism from the UN’s refugee agency who warned the policy was likely to harm the “physical and psycho-social wellbeing of transferees”.

The date Rudd made his speech, 19 July, 2013, has become notorious among asylum seekers – an arbitrary marker of the capricious immigration politics that has left them in limbo. Many have family or friends who left Indonesia days before them and are now settled in Australia.

The policy achieved its goals. The boats to Australia have (mostly) stopped. But not without a cost.

The following interviews were conducted in the refugees’ accommodation on Nauru while local security guards slept outside. Nauru has effectively banned foreign journalists, making it difficult for refugees to explain their plight, or for the Australian public to scrutinise the consequences of its government’s immigration policy.

All names have been changed to protect the refugees. The refugees pictured have covered their faces for safety, not for religious reasons.

Amineh

Amineh’s family fled Iran after her husband told a Narcotics Anonymous meeting that he held political and religious views that were contrary to the country’s authoritarian Shia government.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer during her 18-month incarceration on Nauru. She also developed acute depression. After successful cancer surgery in Brisbane she was admitted to the psychiatric ward of Brisbane’s Toowong private hospital in a “flat, non-reactive” state. After a month’s treatment she was cleared for release with a letter from her doctor advising she should not be returned to Nauru.

“Given the severity of her illness, [Amineh] is a significantly high risk of relapse with further risks to herself (such as emaciation/starvation, significant decline in personal hygiene, disrupted relationships with her husband and children and passive suicidal ideation which may well escalate into active suicidal ideation)... should she return to the immigration detention centre at Nauru.”

The letter was ignored.

"I didn’t want to live in this world any more. I don’t want to be alive the next day. I didn’t want to get up. I didn’t want to open my eyes. No hope. Disappointed. Even I couldn’t bear my family. My children, my husband. I didn’t want to see them. I couldn’t bear to hear them. I was embarrassed in front of my children because I felt guilty because I did something horrible to my children [by bringing them to Australia].

My doctor in Brisbane tried to help me. He tried to give me hope again. He forced me to exercise. He made me like life again. He said ‘I will send immigration a letter. I won’t allow them to send you back to Nauru’.

One day in the hospital, 5am, [immigration officers] knocked on the door. They said that you can go inside the camp, you should go back to Nauru. And then that made me mad and that made me crazy. I spoke to immigration, I begged them. I told them my situation. I showed them my letter. But they said nothing. They forced me get in a plane and get back to Nauru.

When I arrived again in Nauru, for two days I was better because I saw my old friends and that was not bad. But after three days, I got back to my bad days. My sickness was returned.

They isolated me in a room. The doctor was so scared. He didn’t know what to do with me. I had shivers and my hands shook. I was dreaming that someone was trying to smother me. I couldn’t breathe.

After a week they released us into the community. I locked myself up into this room. I spend all my time in this room and I have nowhere to go. I feel like I’m not a normal person. I’m like a machine. The medicine made me act like a machine. If I don’t have my medicine, I’m terrible.
"

Hawo

Hawo and 10 other Somali women live in Anibare camp on Nauru. Without the protection of men, they are vulnerable both inside and outside the detention system. Most have experienced sexual or physical violence while on Nauru.

"In the detention centre, there was direct and indirect sexual assault. Because the security, the Wilsons* and the locals, they bring stuff for you. The stuff that’s really important like shoes and then they start bargaining with you.

‘When you get accepted as a refugee you’re going to have sex with me and I’m going to enjoy with you.’

And actually you need these things but you can never promise them. Because of this we knew that outside [detention] would not be safe and we expressed to the immigration this feeling.

Three days ago I was going to get my financial support. There was a motorcycle going along the road and he grabbed me and threw me on to the road. The next day I was going to the supermarket. A guy came face to face with me and tried to grab my hands. He wanted to give me a hug. I think he wanted to rape me. I screamed and he jumped on a motorcycle.

I came from my home country due to rape and torture but this stuff still exists here.
"

Annisa

Annisa is another Somali woman who came to Australia alone. She and the women she shares Anibare camp with say Nauruan men sneak around the back of the camp at night and knock on their windows. They sleep in jeans to make it harder to be raped.

"I never had a life in Somalia. My husband was killed and my baby boy was taken away. I was kidnapped for five years by the Al-Shabaab militia. They wanted to cut my hand off because they wanted me to marry but I refused. I stayed five years with them and then I escaped.

I came to search for a new life. But I am in fear. At what time will the local men break into my room?

My body is here but my mind is not. I think back to my husband and my kid and think of how I have been treated. I’m tired of crying. All the time at the moment I cry. Because there is no safety in Somalia and there is no safety here in Nauru too.

I expressed to the [Australian] immigration that I don’t feel safe in Nauru: ‘Let me stay in the [detention] camp because the camp, at least, is better than outside.’

They said: ‘You’ll never be returned to the camp. The camp is for asylum seekers, you’ll stay here five years.’

You can never imagine how people live here. Sometimes we are unable to buy drinking water and so we drink the bathroom water. Three days ago I had a stomach problem. Sometimes I run out of money for food and I don’t eat for days. Everything is expensive**. You can imagine $180 for two weeks, it is not enough.
"

** A 1 litre bottle of water costs $2-3 in Nauru, where the average maximum temperature is around 30C. Refugees live on an allowance of about $12 a day.

Ali

Ali and his wife Khorvash came from Ahwaz in southern Iran. They were released from detention four months ago and live in the Anibare refugee camp.

"I really have problems with opening my eyes. I normally wake up at nine and I pretend that I’m asleep till 11 sometimes 12. I start to ask God for help for two or three hours and when there is no response from God I get up and say ‘OK there is no God, let’s get up’.

My wife and I are not going out much. We are not even talking to each other much. We are just like ghosts. Sometimes we watch TV. Yeah, that’s it. I really don’t know what I’m doing during the day.

I contemplated suicide millions of times. I didn’t have enough courage to do it because I’m a Muslim and unfortunately there is only one unforgiven sin in my religion and that is committing suicide. I’m ready to give them a signature for giving me a verdict like execution or something. I’m really happy if the Australian government kills me.

Even if you have the best psychologist in the world, he can’t help you. In the best scenario, you’ll meet someone who has a sense of sympathy for you and is trying to help you. But this is still five years in Nauru, with or without the shrink.

When I wanted to leave my country, my dad told me not to do it. He said: ‘Democracy and human rights is a joke. No one will respect you in Australia or any other western country. Stay here and die with honour.’

And I told him: ‘No Dad, you don’t know anything about these things, let me try.’

I did. And I find that my father was right. Nauru is another part of our conviction. This is jail. Even God can’t help you here.
"

Benjamin

Nineteen-year-old Benjamin was released from detention in November and now lives with his father and two sisters (aged 13 and 15) in the newly built Nibok camp. Their mother is still in Iran. While they were in detention Benjamin’s father, Haji, was charged with assault and placed in solitary custody after a scuffle with a security guard.

"My father got a stroke when he was in custody. He was paralysed on his left side. They sent him alone to Darwin.

I was 18 at the time and my sisters were both minors but they left us in the camp and my sisters they got lots of problems. They couldn’t sleep at night. I couldn’t control this. It’s lots of pressure. My father was somewhere else. I was trying to talk to the Wilsons because my sisters were crying all the night.

One day I went [to the Australian immigration department psychologist]. I was so angry because my sisters weren’t in a good situation. They needed to know what’s happening to my father because we just saw him once after he come out from the custody.

I warned them that if they don’t at least tell me how my father is, I will suicide. And she laughs at me and says ‘do what you want, no one will stop you’. And I cut my wrists. I couldn’t control it anymore, it was too much for me.

I didn’t do it for protest. I was trying to kill myself. I wasn’t in control of the situation. I wasn’t that much adult to take care of my sisters and try to motivate my father to get healthy and try to control the awful situation of the camp. I just wanted to die. I tried to do it silently. So I cut it and I was feeling dizzy and my sisters came and saw there was lots of blood and they called the Wilsons.

When my father came back he was placed back in jail. He was still paralysed on his left side. We kept having to go to the court but in the end they found that my father wasn’t guilty.

Now I don’t care if something’s going to happen for the future or if I go to Australia. I don’t have any plans for my future right now because I still feel that I’m captured. I still feel that I’m not human after a year-and-a-half. I just need to get my freedom first and then I’ll try to find my way somehow.
"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/19/even-god-cant-help-you-here-nauru-refugees-describe-a-life-devoid-of-hope

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:stare:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Our subsidised-by-the-billions mining industry now accounts for only ~220k jobs Australia wide, down 50k in the past 12 months.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/mining-companies-shedding-jobs-by-the-thousands-20150319-1m35zx.html

Yet we'll still keep throwing money at them, because donations reasons.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Luckily the rest of the economy is still bouyed by confiden-

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

:dogbutton:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
i will never vote for the democrats. i have come to this decision solely on the basis of the comments from that awful man who posted here before.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Konomex posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...318-1m23mx.html

The video is really something else. Just watch it, it's insane. This is why the government can't get legislation passed, they are idiots and trying to say 'That's not what he meant' isn't fooling anyone.

Wow, that was something. Heffernan being shot down by the speaker each time he opened his mouth was good

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Drugs posted:

i will never vote for the democrats. i have come to this decision solely on the basis of the comments from that awful man who posted here before.

same

that and the GST

and Kernot's defection to Labor for her own interests

but mostly the shitposting

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 19, 2015

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

You Am I posted:

Wow, that was something. Heffernan being shot down by the speaker each time he opened his mouth was good

It's good to see Lazarus taking a stand, though I didn't think they allowed props in parliament.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Gine Rinehart like all fat sacks of poo poo deserves to be criticised for that fact. It's just a bonus that she happens to be a terrible person on the inside as well.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

welp

'Even God can’t help you here': Nauru refugees describe a life devoid of hope

Refugees who have been settled on the Pacific island of Nauru under Australia’s offshore asylum policy have told the Guardian in covert interviews of their deep sense of helplessness, and fear of Nauruans who resent their presence.

Since May, more than 400 people who were detained after trying to arrive in Australia by boat have been found to be refugees and released into an island population of less than 10,000. Their arrival has convulsed Nauruan society and there is growing antipathy towards them.

They live in several guarded camps dotted around the island. Their cramped quarters provide the basics, but little more. In the following interviews they describe a monotonous and unsafe existence devoid of hope. Many are escaping through a heavy regimen of sleeping pills. Depression is ubiquitous.

The refugees’ future is uncertain. The Nauruan government has given them five-year visas; Australia has said they will never be allowed to settle there.

Tony Abbott’s government has pursued the policy vigorously, but the Australian stance is essentially bipartisan. It was the former Labor prime minister Kevin Rudd who made the announcement that still defines Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers: “Arriving in Australia by boat will no longer mean settlement in Australia,” he said before the 2013 election (in which Abbott eventually trounced him). Rudd’s policy drew criticism from the UN’s refugee agency who warned the policy was likely to harm the “physical and psycho-social wellbeing of transferees”.

The date Rudd made his speech, 19 July, 2013, has become notorious among asylum seekers – an arbitrary marker of the capricious immigration politics that has left them in limbo. Many have family or friends who left Indonesia days before them and are now settled in Australia.

The policy achieved its goals. The boats to Australia have (mostly) stopped. But not without a cost.

The following interviews were conducted in the refugees’ accommodation on Nauru while local security guards slept outside. Nauru has effectively banned foreign journalists, making it difficult for refugees to explain their plight, or for the Australian public to scrutinise the consequences of its government’s immigration policy.

All names have been changed to protect the refugees. The refugees pictured have covered their faces for safety, not for religious reasons.

Amineh

Amineh’s family fled Iran after her husband told a Narcotics Anonymous meeting that he held political and religious views that were contrary to the country’s authoritarian Shia government.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer during her 18-month incarceration on Nauru. She also developed acute depression. After successful cancer surgery in Brisbane she was admitted to the psychiatric ward of Brisbane’s Toowong private hospital in a “flat, non-reactive” state. After a month’s treatment she was cleared for release with a letter from her doctor advising she should not be returned to Nauru.

“Given the severity of her illness, [Amineh] is a significantly high risk of relapse with further risks to herself (such as emaciation/starvation, significant decline in personal hygiene, disrupted relationships with her husband and children and passive suicidal ideation which may well escalate into active suicidal ideation)... should she return to the immigration detention centre at Nauru.”

The letter was ignored.

"I didn’t want to live in this world any more. I don’t want to be alive the next day. I didn’t want to get up. I didn’t want to open my eyes. No hope. Disappointed. Even I couldn’t bear my family. My children, my husband. I didn’t want to see them. I couldn’t bear to hear them. I was embarrassed in front of my children because I felt guilty because I did something horrible to my children [by bringing them to Australia].

My doctor in Brisbane tried to help me. He tried to give me hope again. He forced me to exercise. He made me like life again. He said ‘I will send immigration a letter. I won’t allow them to send you back to Nauru’.

One day in the hospital, 5am, [immigration officers] knocked on the door. They said that you can go inside the camp, you should go back to Nauru. And then that made me mad and that made me crazy. I spoke to immigration, I begged them. I told them my situation. I showed them my letter. But they said nothing. They forced me get in a plane and get back to Nauru.

When I arrived again in Nauru, for two days I was better because I saw my old friends and that was not bad. But after three days, I got back to my bad days. My sickness was returned.

They isolated me in a room. The doctor was so scared. He didn’t know what to do with me. I had shivers and my hands shook. I was dreaming that someone was trying to smother me. I couldn’t breathe.

After a week they released us into the community. I locked myself up into this room. I spend all my time in this room and I have nowhere to go. I feel like I’m not a normal person. I’m like a machine. The medicine made me act like a machine. If I don’t have my medicine, I’m terrible.
"

Hawo

Hawo and 10 other Somali women live in Anibare camp on Nauru. Without the protection of men, they are vulnerable both inside and outside the detention system. Most have experienced sexual or physical violence while on Nauru.

"In the detention centre, there was direct and indirect sexual assault. Because the security, the Wilsons* and the locals, they bring stuff for you. The stuff that’s really important like shoes and then they start bargaining with you.

‘When you get accepted as a refugee you’re going to have sex with me and I’m going to enjoy with you.’

And actually you need these things but you can never promise them. Because of this we knew that outside [detention] would not be safe and we expressed to the immigration this feeling.

Three days ago I was going to get my financial support. There was a motorcycle going along the road and he grabbed me and threw me on to the road. The next day I was going to the supermarket. A guy came face to face with me and tried to grab my hands. He wanted to give me a hug. I think he wanted to rape me. I screamed and he jumped on a motorcycle.

I came from my home country due to rape and torture but this stuff still exists here.
"

Annisa

Annisa is another Somali woman who came to Australia alone. She and the women she shares Anibare camp with say Nauruan men sneak around the back of the camp at night and knock on their windows. They sleep in jeans to make it harder to be raped.

"I never had a life in Somalia. My husband was killed and my baby boy was taken away. I was kidnapped for five years by the Al-Shabaab militia. They wanted to cut my hand off because they wanted me to marry but I refused. I stayed five years with them and then I escaped.

I came to search for a new life. But I am in fear. At what time will the local men break into my room?

My body is here but my mind is not. I think back to my husband and my kid and think of how I have been treated. I’m tired of crying. All the time at the moment I cry. Because there is no safety in Somalia and there is no safety here in Nauru too.

I expressed to the [Australian] immigration that I don’t feel safe in Nauru: ‘Let me stay in the [detention] camp because the camp, at least, is better than outside.’

They said: ‘You’ll never be returned to the camp. The camp is for asylum seekers, you’ll stay here five years.’

You can never imagine how people live here. Sometimes we are unable to buy drinking water and so we drink the bathroom water. Three days ago I had a stomach problem. Sometimes I run out of money for food and I don’t eat for days. Everything is expensive**. You can imagine $180 for two weeks, it is not enough.
"

** A 1 litre bottle of water costs $2-3 in Nauru, where the average maximum temperature is around 30C. Refugees live on an allowance of about $12 a day.

Ali

Ali and his wife Khorvash came from Ahwaz in southern Iran. They were released from detention four months ago and live in the Anibare refugee camp.

"I really have problems with opening my eyes. I normally wake up at nine and I pretend that I’m asleep till 11 sometimes 12. I start to ask God for help for two or three hours and when there is no response from God I get up and say ‘OK there is no God, let’s get up’.

My wife and I are not going out much. We are not even talking to each other much. We are just like ghosts. Sometimes we watch TV. Yeah, that’s it. I really don’t know what I’m doing during the day.

I contemplated suicide millions of times. I didn’t have enough courage to do it because I’m a Muslim and unfortunately there is only one unforgiven sin in my religion and that is committing suicide. I’m ready to give them a signature for giving me a verdict like execution or something. I’m really happy if the Australian government kills me.

Even if you have the best psychologist in the world, he can’t help you. In the best scenario, you’ll meet someone who has a sense of sympathy for you and is trying to help you. But this is still five years in Nauru, with or without the shrink.

When I wanted to leave my country, my dad told me not to do it. He said: ‘Democracy and human rights is a joke. No one will respect you in Australia or any other western country. Stay here and die with honour.’

And I told him: ‘No Dad, you don’t know anything about these things, let me try.’

I did. And I find that my father was right. Nauru is another part of our conviction. This is jail. Even God can’t help you here.
"

Benjamin

Nineteen-year-old Benjamin was released from detention in November and now lives with his father and two sisters (aged 13 and 15) in the newly built Nibok camp. Their mother is still in Iran. While they were in detention Benjamin’s father, Haji, was charged with assault and placed in solitary custody after a scuffle with a security guard.

"My father got a stroke when he was in custody. He was paralysed on his left side. They sent him alone to Darwin.

I was 18 at the time and my sisters were both minors but they left us in the camp and my sisters they got lots of problems. They couldn’t sleep at night. I couldn’t control this. It’s lots of pressure. My father was somewhere else. I was trying to talk to the Wilsons because my sisters were crying all the night.

One day I went [to the Australian immigration department psychologist]. I was so angry because my sisters weren’t in a good situation. They needed to know what’s happening to my father because we just saw him once after he come out from the custody.

I warned them that if they don’t at least tell me how my father is, I will suicide. And she laughs at me and says ‘do what you want, no one will stop you’. And I cut my wrists. I couldn’t control it anymore, it was too much for me.

I didn’t do it for protest. I was trying to kill myself. I wasn’t in control of the situation. I wasn’t that much adult to take care of my sisters and try to motivate my father to get healthy and try to control the awful situation of the camp. I just wanted to die. I tried to do it silently. So I cut it and I was feeling dizzy and my sisters came and saw there was lots of blood and they called the Wilsons.

When my father came back he was placed back in jail. He was still paralysed on his left side. We kept having to go to the court but in the end they found that my father wasn’t guilty.

Now I don’t care if something’s going to happen for the future or if I go to Australia. I don’t have any plans for my future right now because I still feel that I’m captured. I still feel that I’m not human after a year-and-a-half. I just need to get my freedom first and then I’ll try to find my way somehow.
"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/19/even-god-cant-help-you-here-nauru-refugees-describe-a-life-devoid-of-hope

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ you cant post that on a Thursday night, I cant get blind drunk to forget because I've got work tomorrow. :smith:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

It's good to see Lazarus taking a stand, though I didn't think they allowed props in parliament.

apart from pipebombs

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Konomex posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...318-1m23mx.html

The video is really something else. Just watch it, it's insane. This is why the government can't get legislation passed, they are idiots and trying to say 'That's not what he meant' isn't fooling anyone.

Lmbo Brandis thinking he's slick poo poo until he goes too far and sticks his foot in it. He's such a child.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah ok, well played.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Dante18907 posted:

My friend Gold Standard Conure pointed me in the direction of this thread, and to the attention of BCR, with regards to issues with my current pay scheme and determining the pay bracket etc I should be in so that I have some information to back me up when I go to my rear end in a top hat boss to ask if I can please be paid well.

Info;

Job: Computer Technician/Onsite Service Engineer
Job Description: I perform onsite break fix and troubleshooting for National Companies like Fujitsu and RSS for customers ranging from Coles and Target to the ATO and Aurizon as well as in-office IT support for the company I work for directly and some printer maintenance for the same companies photocopier fleet.
Wage: $17.40/hr with $137.31/week (equates to $3.61 an hour for a total of $21.01/hr) FLAT car allowance and $0.32/km allowance
Allowances: I currently get paid a car allowance in a flat rate/week as well as a rate/kilometer of business travel.

From my cursory lookings I THINK that I am under the MA000021: Business Equipment Award 2010. I currently do not have a copy of my contract though I will be trying to get one, and I don't know if there are any clauses in my contract that exclude me from awards etc or specifically what award my contract is covering me with.

The ideal outcome for me would be that I would be taken off the car allowance and brought into line with the other technicians in the workshop ($25/hr) and I am fine with still using my car for the work. I currently do not have the solid information at my disposal to propose this to my boss, who is a very tight individual when it comes to money and wages.

I am almost certain everyone working here is getting ripped off when it comes to OT and other things in the contracts. I would also like some information RE, who to turn to should he turn me down, as there are very few available jobs in Mackay in this industry and I am unable to move from here for the foreseeable future.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Short answer is you need to lawyer up, and the cheapest and best way to do that is through the relevant union. Because it's very likely you'll get hosed around and its great to hand it off to someone else and take that stress away.

Call 1300 362 223 (9am-6pm Mon to Thu 9am-4:30pm Fri) and they'll hold your hand and point you in the right direction. Its the ACTUs worker helpline.

No harm calling fairwork either, 13 13 94

Longer answer

1) Are you casual, permanent part time or permanent or on contract? Do you get sick leave and annual leave?
2) Are you getting superannuation?
3) Are you Diebold, NCR or ? You don't have to tell me but take down your companys name, ABN, your office details like payrolls or HRs phone number.
4) Get all your paperwork together. Pay stubs, contracts, etc. You'll need them.
5) You may or may not want to check with ATO that you're squared away with them.
6) How many hours in a day do you work? Do you do shift work?

Will think some more and look up your award. Punchline is you're going to need to make some phone calls, get all your paperwork together and get legal support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I just received my little pin and newspaper from joining the greens. This paper is extremely my poo poo.

• Locked thread