Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Neptr posted:

Apparently no one else here knows any older women that are hot shoes and that makes me sad

there's an old lady who lives in a town near me who drives a pristine dark green 240z and every time she goes by it makes me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
They can't just fill the tank, drive for a while, fill the tank again and calculate how much fuel they used?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

GutBomb posted:

They can't just fill the tank, drive for a while, fill the tank again and calculate how much fuel they used?

Not really. As the article says, they need faster sampling rate than once-per-8 hours to account for things like traffic, hills, weather conditions and so on. They're using a 1 second sampling rate which can then be compared with gps and weather reports, or then can exclude bad data (traffic).

Still curious about what it does to Cd though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

Still curious about what it does to Cd though.

For city driving, not much considering the average speed is around 27mph. Drag isn't much of a factor until you're over 50.

Plus most of the equipment is below the deck of the trunk so maybe the Kamm effect means it's not much of an issue.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
As for weight, rolling resistance is pretty constant and easy to work out so they could figure that out and account for the added weight pretty easily.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

Not really. As the article says, they need faster sampling rate than once-per-8 hours to account for things like traffic, hills, weather conditions and so on. They're using a 1 second sampling rate which can then be compared with gps and weather reports, or then can exclude bad data (traffic).
Plus, regular fuel expands/contracts with temperature variations, I seem to remember the article stated 4% difference in volume which was too much to rely on statistically, so they had their oil company sponsor make special testing fuel that apparently can be stored for a long time? It didn't mention volume consistency, though I would assume that was the main point of it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Why the hell can't they just hook a flow meter into the fuel rail like sane people

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

we usually go on about cars that have spoilers and don't need them. here's a car that needs aero and doesn't have it

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

atomicthumbs posted:

Why the hell can't they just hook a flow meter into the fuel rail like sane people

That sounds needlessly complicated. How can a modern EFI car function properly without knowing exactly how much fuel is injected every milisecond? Isn't that the whole point?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Because you still aren't correcting for environmental factors

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

atomicthumbs posted:

we usually go on about cars that have spoilers and don't need them. here's a car that needs aero and doesn't have it

Looks like it has aero but on the wrong side.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

atomicthumbs posted:

I must go, my people need... oh gently caress.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Sadi posted:

Looks like it has aero but on the wrong side.

Looks like Mark Webber has taken up drag racing.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

I think everyone involved frowns on doing things like that to press cars.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Because then you wouldn't have an excuse to duct your exhaust into the passenger compartment and go for a thrash on the freeway. Really.

:downsscience: doesn't need to exist very often, but this is one of those times.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

IPCRESS posted:

:downsscience: doesn't need to exist very often, but this is one of those times.

Indeed. They cook up this insane contraption and then plan to go just driving around in traffic with it instead of a closed course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

revmoo posted:

Indeed. They cook up this insane contraption and then plan to go just driving around in traffic with it instead of a closed course.

Well it probably started out reasonably with something like "hey let's make our own system that we can easily hook into any car and get REAL WORLD fuel efficiency data!" and then everything rapidly spiraled out of control once it came time to actually implement it and it turns out single solutions that handle all cases is actually really loving hard.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

xzzy posted:

Well it probably started out reasonably with something like "hey let's make our own system that we can easily hook into any car and get REAL WORLD fuel efficiency data!" and then everything rapidly spiraled out of control once it came time to actually implement it and it turns out single solutions that handle all cases is actually really loving hard.

Watch as manufacturers start delivering cars with factory exhaust leaks, ahem, I mean driver oriented exhaust systems.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This has to be the work of Germans. Only they would way overcomplicate measuring fuel flow like that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

atomicthumbs posted:

there's an old lady who lives in a town near me who drives a pristine dark green 240z and every time she goes by it makes me smile.

Need to get in her will.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

atomicthumbs posted:

Someone please photoshop in Darth Vader using the force to toss the car with some cute saying like he was assaulting a storm trooper who pissed him off.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

xzzy posted:

For city driving, not much considering the average speed is around 27mph.

Yeah, i loving wish. It's closer to 9mph for me.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My old commute was around 90 miles each way, and took me about 75 minutes on average.

My new commute is 13 miles each way, takes me 20 minutes in the morning, and 45 loving minutes in the evening.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

It gets worse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Powershift posted:

It gets worse.

0 to Confetti how fast? :catstare:

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I keep seeing this Audi ad with the father and daughter in the car where the main selling point is the in-dash Twitter feed. I hate everything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kanish posted:

I keep seeing this Audi ad with the father and daughter in the car where the main selling point is the in-dash Twitter feed. I hate everything.

The date humanity will truely end is when it desplays them in a HUD

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/19/aspiring-rapper-drunk-tweets-yolo-just-before-fatal-car-crash/

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

YOLOL

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RAPPER DIES TWEETING YOLO, TEXTING AND DRIVING IS BAD!

(also, he was drunk)

((also, he wasn't the driver))

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kanish posted:

Fucksakes. I hate you for making me aware of this existing.

But I hate humanity an order of magnitude more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kanish posted:

And that is why I won't touch an Audi after 1992. That and the sort of people that buy those sorts of Audis.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

atomicthumbs posted:

I can't identify the car that's pulling a Mercedes at Le Mans and it's bugging me. Is it an Audi of some kind?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is what happens when there aren't cheap and plentiful muscle cars everywhere.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Longinus00 posted:

I can't identify the car that's pulling a Mercedes at Le Mans and it's bugging me. Is it an Audi of some kind?

Looks like a Lexus to me. One of the IS ones, 250? 350? They all look similar and they're not exciting enough to learn the differences.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

This is what happens when there aren't cheap and plentiful muscle cars everywhere.

That's a foul

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

That's a foul

He was asking what car it was, i posted the car.

Also, it still has the ISF fake tips even though from my picture they are even less functional than stock.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

Fucksakes. I hate you for making me aware of this existing.

But I hate humanity an order of magnitude more.

*not an empty quote*

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CommieGIR posted:

And that is why I won't touch an Audi after 1992. That and the sort of people that buy those sorts of Audis.

I drive an Audi :( We're not all bad people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

I drive an Audi :( We're not all bad people

Yes you are. Ignorance of the facts doesn't absolve you. You personally might not be a terrible oval office but someone, somewhere is suffering or will eventually suffer because you bought one and drove it instead of doing the responsible thing and destroying it at the earliest opportunity. Whether it be the mechanic that has to deal with it when it inevitably breaks, or the panel shop when it's crashed, or even the next owner after you who doesn't realise what they're getting into. Every time a modern VAG rolls off the production line, the world becomes a darker place. I've never 'hated' any brand of vehicle unanimously before working on VAGs because I try to look at things in a balanced and realistic way. Yes, GM and ford and so on are poo poo, but not in a universal, blanket way where every single vehicle is a festering turd with no redeeming qualities.