Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Elukka posted:

It only matters insofar as the texture resolution on the final product, as you say. You're free to scale things up or down on the UV map depending on how much detail you need on them.

Great, makes sense. I think i'm going to go with blender as that seems to be the go to choice. 3DS looked wank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

simosimo posted:

Great, makes sense. I think i'm going to go with blender as that seems to be the go to choice. 3DS looked wank

Welcome to the fold, bruvva :)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

St Evan Echoes posted:

why i don't have a single bus route in my city: exhibit A

I want bendy buses just to troll my population.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Shanakin posted:

You can run pipe through poluted areas, you just can't collect from it. This includes putting water towers in poluted areas.

I'm an idiot and put a water tower in my industrial district. I didn't think of it as being an originating water source, just a big storage tank.

(That's what I get for actually working at a water company.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I also want road trains. gently caress it, I guess I just want to build mad max cities after all.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

-Dethstryk- posted:

I'm an idiot and put a water tower in my industrial district. I didn't think of it as being an originating water source, just a big storage tank.

(That's what I get for actually working at a water company.)

Think of water towers as bore sources or something.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fart Cannon posted:

Anyone have any idea why the monument won't progress?

Did you use a mod to enable achievements after placing it? If so try re-locating it or deleting it and building it again (haven't tried that before).

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I'm experiencing a pretty annoying issue. Every time I have to load the main menu it takes about 3 minutes to refresh the Steam Workshop list. Nothing in the menu is clickable while this is happening so it's becoming a pretty big bummer. It makes it hard to experiment when quitting a map means a 3 minute wait.

Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to fix it?

v1.06b on OS X 10.10.2

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Used to be my busiest intersection with back ups in every direction for several blocks

i love the british

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Domattee posted:

Used to be my busiest intersection with back ups in every direction for several blocks

i love the british

add an obnoxious building in the center

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Okay, my map is pretty much done, I just have to finish tweaking a few interchanges between the major highways and finish adding the rail lines. I should have it up on Workshop tonight.

Something else I desperately want in the game is to be able to raise or lower the elevation of an existing road or highway without having to rebuild it. The game is very much biased towards lesser roads overpassing the highway instead of underpassing. I-91 through downtown Springfield is elevated in a mixture of earth berm and viaduct and I've realized trying to create that will be a nightmare.

Of course I'd be excited to see what people will create without my desire to recreate the city's transit. Making replicas of Springfield is kind of a SimCity tradition for me and it's great to be able to share this with people.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Holy gently caress I hate texturing. I hate it so much.

I'm basically doing it a different way than usual, by getting right to the details because I know I won't want to add them in later. It looks okay so far but it's also a massive pain in the rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, modeling is fun and chill. Texturing is instant aneurysm.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Holy gently caress I hate texturing. I hate it so much.

I'm basically doing it a different way than usual, by getting right to the details because I know I won't want to add them in later. It looks okay so far but it's also a massive pain in the rear end.

Whats the problem, making the actual texture? Or jus lining stuff up?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Domattee posted:

i love the british

After the patch my commercial demand went nuts, so I threw in a bunch of low density along a main road through a residential area, which caused my traffic to turn to poo poo because of all the new deliveries. I redesigned the worst intersection with a round-about, which made sense in my head, but the traffic was even worse because the AI never uses the inside lane. I was sitting there watching it to see if I could figure out a way to fix it, when I realized that while real-life drivers would turn a bi-directional roundabout into a death trap, the AI won't crash into other cars. I switched the whole thing to a regular two-lane road instead of a one way, and the bright red faded into a mildly irritated orange in moments.

So if anyone else is annoyed that roundabouts are kind of poo poo, it's worth giving it a go before you start clustering them together.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So, you should put "Requires 64-bit OS you loving idiots!" in big red letters in the OP so that loving idiots like me who never expected a game to actually require a 64-bit OS and are on 32-bit for reasons don't buy it and then just have it sit in their Steam library mocking them.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

simosimo posted:

Whats the problem, making the actual texture? Or jus lining stuff up?

Making the actual texture. I don't have an issue with getting the UVs worked out (it's worse for character models, though the actual texturing is easier on those ironically).

Of course, seeing how I do this one, what did I expect :downs:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Oldstench posted:

So, you should put "Requires 64-bit OS you loving idiots!" in big red letters in the OP so that loving idiots like me who never expected a game to actually require a 64-bit OS and are on 32-bit for reasons don't buy it and then just have it sit in their Steam library mocking them.

haha drat, I had no idea. Sorry to hear that

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Note to self: When you're about to run out of sewage capacity and decide to add a new drain pipe to the poop complex, make sure you actually build a drain pipe and not, say, a pumping station.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Note to self: When you're about to run out of sewage capacity and decide to add a new drain pipe to the poop complex, make sure you actually build a drain pipe and not, say, a pumping station.
California has always been a pioneer in poop to drinking water technology.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Oldstench posted:

Sorry to hear it, but I mean it says as much in the system requirements of the game. Quite a few popular games require a 64-bit OS already so you should really consider upgrading as soon as you can because it's only going to get more common.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wallet posted:

After the patch my commercial demand went nuts, so I threw in a bunch of low density along a main road through a residential area, which caused my traffic to turn to poo poo because of all the new deliveries. I redesigned the worst intersection with a round-about, which made sense in my head, but the traffic was even worse because the AI never uses the inside lane. I was sitting there watching it to see if I could figure out a way to fix it, when I realized that while real-life drivers would turn a bi-directional roundabout into a death trap, the AI won't crash into other cars. I switched the whole thing to a regular two-lane road instead of a one way, and the bright red faded into a mildly irritated orange in moments.

So if anyone else is annoyed that roundabouts are kind of poo poo, it's worth giving it a go before you start clustering them together.

Haha wow. I wonder if my city will just implode from commercial demand when I load it up tonight. I have a bunch of offices downtown that I can bulldoze for the short term, at least.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Are we still doing :psyduck: highway junctions? Because I live in New Jersey and have to deal with poo poo like this:

:unsmigghh:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

add an obnoxious building in the center

I tried to build groverville within but I don't have any fugly uniques and I was too lazy to remove the greenery left between the zoning, so it actually looks too good now

grovervillage

featuring:
supermarket
two, yes, two, gas stations
houses
and a lovely little shaded spot perfect for absorbing exhaust fumes big city atmosphere.
also greenery (drat)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Jesus dude, dual boot or something.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

Jesus dude, dual boot or something.

It does run on Linux and the patch supposedly improved Linux performance, might as well give it a try

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I've subscribed to a bunch of custom maps but I never seen them in the list, when I start a new game. It's always the same default maps, what gives?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Domattee posted:

I tried to build groverville within but I don't have any fugly uniques and I was too lazy to remove the greenery left between the zoning, so it actually looks too good now

grovervillage

featuring:
supermarket
two, yes, two, gas stations
houses
and a lovely little shaded spot perfect for absorbing exhaust fumes big city atmosphere.
also greenery (drat)

Really like this, i'm particularly looking forward to when there are lots of UK style houses on the workshop. Bungalows, semi detached houses, and the famous 'lovely row house' from victorian times. I can forsee some nice suburban 'culdesacs' or as we call them.....closes! This is where all the old folks will live. If there isn't a social club nearby they will die move out

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Holy poo poo help with busses? They're gangbanging my beautiful flow.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ahaha holy gently caress that took forever

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Mantis posted:

Get rid of them, invest more heavily in metro and trains

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pook lake spotted.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

simosimo posted:

3DS looked wank

This is so so so wrong.

Sorry you had a bad experience but 3ds Max is actually amazing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Mantis posted:

Make busways.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

St Evan Echoes posted:

Get rid of them, invest more heavily in metro and trains

B-b-b-but my Conga lines...

Can anyone confirm whether cims will chain mass transit? Like if they're going island to island, will they hop off the train and walk to a metro?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Make busways.

Oh poo poo like elevated roads for just them? Genius.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Somebody mod in Goku's house already.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If you lower the budget for buses does that reduce the conga lines? Haven't tried it and I'm at work now. I've noticed the same problems with them. Presumably if cims were smart enough to go around a bus stopped to unload this wouldn't be a problem, but they want to make a right turn in seven miles, so...

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

ahaha holy gently caress that took forever

I really like the beach cruise ship. How long has it been there? You could try to have some water just where it is and then build around it, have a unique attraction

The Mantis posted:

Can anyone confirm whether cims will chain mass transit? Like if they're going island to island, will they hop off the train and walk to a metro?

They will. They are mostly smart about it too.

The Mantis posted:

Oh poo poo like elevated roads for just them? Genius.

Doesn't work as well as it sounds, unfortunately you can't zone underneath raised streets and neither can you have multi-level streets.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Domattee posted:

neither can you have multi-level streets.

There's a mod for that

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409073164&searchtext=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I find a lot of the issue is that most seem to over-plop bus stops.
Cims will walk pretty drat loving far to get to one so you don't need one every block and turn.