Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Oh, hey! That was a fun thing. Sadly it ended from players dropping and general slow down around the second "season". No chance for Jack Half-a-Prayer. They kind of ended right when they were going to have to choose to sail up to New Crobuzon and have to deal with more gang/military poo poo or have a more traditional adventure trying to find High Cromlech.
Incidentally I picked up Perdido Street Station some time ago, and burst out laughing when that drat caterpillar showed up. We would have been in so much trouble if we'd carried on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Here's a weird one; do you think audiobooks of RPGs would be worthwhile?

I have a copy of FATE in epub but no time to read, so I set my reader to text to speech so I can listen while I work. It worked okay so far. A real voice would probably be better for any non-cyberpunk game.

Yes. I've been wanting an audio book of Unknown Armies for a long time.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
So what you in here for?
Someone overheard my audiobook of Rolemaster critical hit tables.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Siivola posted:

Well, there is a long oral tradition of RPG rules already (I bet most people learn rules by having them explained at the table) so I can't really see why not. Some rulesets are terribly dry and not really suited for the medium, but hell, I'd be really interested in an Apocalypse World audiobook.

I didn't think of AW, but that one's nice and short. It's half "gently caress" and "loving" as I recall, so you could probably save time with copy pasting, haha.

The Real Foogla posted:

So what you in here for?
Someone overheard my audiobook of Rolemaster critical hit tables.
Oh? Sounds cool, where's this?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

GrizzlyCow posted:

I never tried M&M3e, but it looks like its another d20 game. Probably good or great in that context, but if you're trying to do something different from Dungeons and Dragons 3E and up, you may want to look at such games such as Icons and Godlike/Wildtalents. I haven't played the latter, though I always hear good(ish) things about it, but the former is a decently fun game. It uses a d6-d6 task resolution system, and though you can build a character in like 3 to 5 minutes, I wouldn't say it is rules light or anything better than 13th Age or whatever.

Of course, you could stop loving around and get the ONE TRUE SUPERHERO RPG.

M&M doesn't resemble D&D 3e any more than, say, 13th Age does. Less so, in fact. It's a really solid superhero game if you like the old style of games like Champions but with radically less math and far less fiddly 80s design involved.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

I didn't think of AW, but that one's nice and short. It's half "gently caress" and "loving" as I recall, so you could probably save time with copy pasting, haha.
I thought of AW first, because it's got a very distinctive voice to the writing. Many books are written like amateur techical manuals (which is entirely appropriate for a crunchy game) but Baker went out of his way to write the book informally.

I'm almost tempted to make a dramatic reading of the rules now.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes. I've been wanting an audio book of Unknown Armies for a long time.

gently caress it, I've done voice acting work as have a couple of mates, I should email Greg with our rates. Though a game about late-90s American weirdness might not work as well when narrated by a bunch of Scotsmen. We could maybe handle Apocalypse World, though. "gently caress" is punctuation, not a word.

Realtalk: RPG audiobooks would also be an excellent to get more blind/partially sighted people into gaming. The majority of UK midlist fantasy/sf audiobooks cost more to make than they make in profits, but the RNIB are subsidising audiobooks as more young people are growing up blind and wanting genre fiction they can listen to rather than trad literature. Audiobooks, however, exist in even more of a publishing-rights-hellhole than the typeset-on-paper output of mass-market publishing. The entire publishing industry is built on legal boilerplate from the Victorian age that have built up enough cruft that getting a lawyer to modernise it would cost way too much — and a majority of publishers would have to buy in to the new boilerplate, and it'd have to not be more detrimental to any side than the existing and the whole thing is just a loving mess that you can pretend works if you studiously ignore it. Stuff like ebooks and audiobooks and graphic novel adaptations are all bolted on to these original contracts with a combination of fraying string and hope, not helped by being treated differently from trad books in different markets. As such, US audiobook rights have no bearing on UK audiobook rights, and most often audiobooks made for one region can't be sold in another because contracts.

RPG publishers, being a) small and b) mostly work-for-hire have a much simpler time of it as they don't use the same contracts as trad publishing, and they can sell through DTRPG (as it can handle audio downloads). The real issue is money. Fate Core is 93,000 words, which is about twelve and a half hours of finished audio. It takes about 2x that time in the studio to get that much finished audio, you're looking at twenty-five hours. Professional voice rates — and you really don't want amateurs for a twenty-five hour read — are about $300 per finished hour of audio (you can get amateurs for $100, but you never know the quality you're getting, and they're pricing themselves too low anyway). $3750 for the voice,. Then you need studio time, as recording for up to twenty five hours somewhere without professional gear is a crapshoot at best. That can run $100 to $150 per hour of use — the studios don't give a poo poo if you only end up using ten minutes of what you spent a week putting together. Some voices will have their own studios, but they tend to charge more on the hourly rate ($500 is a ballpark, depending on experience) to make up for it, and they're not going to offer the incidentals that a studio will for a first-time producer. Say $2500 for the studio; before you start you're looking at over seven grand. Then you need people who can do the editing of the raw audio and putting it all together, plus incidentals and such, and I'd be very surprised if a professional Fate Core audiobook left you with change from $10,000.

You put in $10,000. To recoup your investment, you need to be certain that you've got at least one thousand customers who will buy the audiobook version — in addition to the trad book that pays for poo poo like writing the words that the audiobook reader will speak — for :10bux:. A thousand books is a large publisher putting books into distribution. Maybe .9% of books on DriveThru have sold more than 1,000 copies. And you need to sell more than that before you see a single penny from the audiobook.

e: I think that RPG audiobooks would be a bloody brilliant idea. I'm tempted to run the numbers for something like Fate Accelerated, which would be a lot more manageable as it has a smaller wordcount (a smidgen over 14K, cost for voice, studio, & editing maybe $2500-$3000, but would sell for less) but when it comes to a more traditionally sized book it's prohibitively expensive.

e: e: jesus, hung-over but still able to effortpost

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 19, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

Though a game about late-90s American weirdness might not work as well when narrated by a bunch of Scotsmen.

Just shift the setting to Edinburgh and surf the Trainspotting vibe.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just shift the setting to Edinburgh and surf the Trainspotting vibe.

Hah. Fuckers had to film it in Dundee, as Leith had got itself cleaned up between the book and the film.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
It's cool to hear from a pro, I was thinking of it more like with Librivox and free books.
And yeah, I think it'd be a really cool thing for the blind to have more audiobooks.

Do you think it's the kind of thing that's better with a solo reader, or a team?

Siivola posted:

I thought of AW first, because it's got a very distinctive voice to the writing. Many books are written like amateur techical manuals (which is entirely appropriate for a crunchy game) but Baker went out of his way to write the book informally.

I'm almost tempted to make a dramatic reading of the rules now.
Goon project?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rockopolis posted:

Oh? Sounds cool, where's this?

That was a joke since it would be several hours worth of someone describing horrible injuries.

With "target takes x damage" sprinkled around.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

It's cool to hear from a pro, I was thinking of it more like with Librivox and free books.
And yeah, I think it'd be a really cool thing for the blind to have more audiobooks.

Do you think it's the kind of thing that's better with a solo reader, or a team?

Goon project?

Pretty much all audiobooks go with a solo reader, but you might be able to use different readers to good effect. Nobles 2e, f'rex, has interspersed player and GM chapters; a different voice for each would help highlight the difference between the two sets of info. Likewise, if you find someone who has an rich, evocative voice for a setting, and someone with a clear, more easily understood voice for the rules? Someone sounding like Russell Crowe describing the world and Roy Dotrice reading the rules? (That's the guy who did the unabridged Game of Thrones audiobooks; he's a goddamn master.) Or, if you're doing D&D, get Ice-T to do the Forgotten Realms. :v:

My "holy poo poo wouldn't it be cool" audiobook RPG would be about 30K words (so 2x the size of Fate Accelerated) that teaches the rules almost entirely through examples of play, scripted so it's clear what's going on at any one point. The audiobook structures these examples as a radio play — the GM and each player has their own VA, get some basic sound effects for events in the game, and have a narrator providing the "behind the scenes" rules. Then get someone else to record a short but evocative setting chapter, parcel it up, and away you go. You end up with something like a Radio 4 adaptation of a Pratchett book, but in addition to following the story you come out knowing how to play the game.

That'd make it a great tool for teaching the game, but would make it a lovely reference.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think actual play videos/streams/podcasts could go a long way towards introducing people to games if the players kept it in mind that it's intended to be listened to and went through the rules accordingly as they played.

RPPR's GURPS campaign was rather eye-opening for me because they made it sound like playing it was so easy (and really it is, given that they already completed character creation)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sounds like an April TG contest.

I haven't had a ton of luck with RPG podcasts, especially the session recordings. They're just too easy for me to lose track of.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I randomly opened up my copy of Blueholme Prentice, a retroclone of the blue Basic D&D set, and found out that today's the 5th death anniversary of Dr. J Eric Holmes.

And it's my birthday. What a weird coincidence.

Rockopolis posted:

I haven't had a ton of luck with RPG podcasts, especially the session recordings. They're just too easy for me to lose track of.

RPPR's been the only one that's been consistently listenable for me, but even then I end up skipping a bunch of their episodes if it's a system I'm not interested in playing. I think the main thing is that they don't take it too seriously - someone'll be dealing with in-character machinations one moment and then they'll be dropping a "binders fulla women" reference the next.

VVVVV Oh yeah System Mastery is incredible and I can't get enough of their work, but I was referring to "actual plays" specifically. If it's just about RPGs in general the System Mastery guys are top-tier.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 19, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I'll have to go back to that one, stopped listening a while ago. Only one I've consistently liked has been System Mastery, it's funny.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One Shots is pretty good, and they cover a lot of indie RPGs. They could do a better job with explaining how the games they play work, but despite that it's a fun podcast.

Six Feats Under has started doing short plays of indie RPGs. They did Last Stand, Strike!, Inverse World, and World Wide Wrestling.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also I'm reading through the Blades in the Dark quickstart and listening to Protomen and I really want to use this game to run a setting based on Streets of Fire and the non-movie The Protomen's "The Cover Up" is the soundtrack for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Triple post!

I'm still not allowed to talk about Fyxt here, right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Triple post!

I'm still not allowed to talk about Fyxt here, right?

According to Forum Gamemaster Ettin you have to talk about it in the industry chat thread.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

According to Forum Gamemaster Ettin you have to talk about it in the industry chat thread.

And please do so, your pain is entertaining.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

And please do so, your pain is entertaining.

I posted the Fyxt design philosophy in the industry thread.

Never has "it'd be funny if it wasn't so goddamn tragic" been more appropriate.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Making fun of the guy who sold his house and mortgage to make yet another DnD clone is mean and should not be encouraged.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Making fun of the guy who sold his house and mortgage to make yet another DnD clone is mean and should not be encouraged.

The thing is, I'm not doing it to make fun of him. I tried to give them serious advice and they are just not getting it.

Believe me, if I could figure out a way to have these guys realize what a huge mistake they've made so they can try to fix it, I would.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also I suppose I should be depressed that people enjoy my suffering but really me suffering through RPG poo poo is like 90% of my posting history so

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you give him advice and it ends up making the guy ruin himself, then it will be your fault. Let him try his own way before showing him a new direction.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also I suppose I should be depressed that people enjoy my suffering but really me suffering through RPG poo poo is like 90% of my posting history so

If it helps i don't really know who you are so I shan't relish on your misfortune.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you give him advice and it ends up making the guy ruin himself, then it will be your fault. Let him try his own way before showing him a new direction.

He's already ruined himself. This is the guy who cashed in his 401(k) to fund his heartbreaker.

If it helps i don't really know who you are so I shan't relish on your misfortune.

Then it's all been for naught. :smith:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The problem is he won't be able to try a new direction, because he's going to be flat loving broke.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He is going to succeed because my prayers are with him and because he is an underdog on the d&d heartbreaker market with nothing to lose and a winning disposition.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also I'm reading through the Blades in the Dark quickstart and listening to Protomen and I really want to use this game to run a setting based on Streets of Fire and the non-movie The Protomen's "The Cover Up" is the soundtrack for.

Blades in the Dark is loving awesome and everyone should check out that kickstarter and the quick start rules.

The game itself looks awesome. Plus, I can't wait until someone hacks a Shadowrun set for it so I can finally theoretically play Shadowun with a set of rules that aren't garbage. Also can't wait till someone makes hacks for half-a-dozen other things. I hope it becomes the next ApocWorld with regards to people hacking it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Blades in the Dark is loving awesome and everyone should check out that kickstarter and the quick start rules.

The game itself looks awesome. Plus, I can't wait until someone hacks a Shadowrun set for it so I can finally theoretically play Shadowun with a set of rules that aren't garbage. Also can't wait till someone makes hacks for half-a-dozen other things. I hope it becomes the next ApocWorld with regards to people hacking it.

I love how the base setting "Duskwall" is basically loving Dunwall from Dishonored. I mean it, that game owned, and I legit love what I see with this. Fuckin Backed.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I will say that the thing that finally got me to stop sitting around looking at RPG books and run one was WotC and Penny Arcade doing that podcast. It seemed like the rules were very streamlined and easy to pick up, and most importantly for me the DM seemed to be having fun too. I'd always pictured DMing as being a chore, but Perkins was really into it, so it sold me and my friends on the 4E rules and we played for years. So yeah I think podcasts/streams/videos could get people into the hobby if they are done well and kept relatively free of the awfulness that pervades much of the hobby.

I recommended Six Feats Under to another friend and now he wants to try out Eclipse Phase, so they are also good for getting people interested in other games in my experience.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I do what I'm told. I've cancelled my other pledges to stuff and am in for a hardback now.

Looks great, too. Just awesome.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm also in for a hardback, despite the murderous shipping charges.

First thing I'm doing when it's out is writing a pre-metal-age City playset. :getin:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm only in for digital right now, but yeah I'm probably going to up it to the hardcover.

If you're still on the fence, there's a good text run-through of the AP John ran that goes into how they did everything mechanically.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Error 404 posted:

I love how the base setting "Duskwall" is basically loving Dunwall from Dishonored. I mean it, that game owned, and I legit love what I see with this. Fuckin Backed.

To be fair its got a lot of other things thrown in the blender too!

Plus people in Dunwall don't come back as zombies ghosts if you don't use electroplasma to alchemically cremate the body within 3 or so days. :ghost:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Serf posted:

I will say that the thing that finally got me to stop sitting around looking at RPG books and run one was WotC and Penny Arcade doing that podcast.
That's a nice compare/contrast between the marketing of 4E and 5E.

4E: Let's do a joint series of videos and podcasts with one of nerd culture's biggest institutions
5E: Let's bring in the "D&D With Pornstars" guy and that expat from Paraguay who rants about The Swine

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm also in for a hardback, despite the murderous shipping charges.

First thing I'm doing when it's out is writing a pre-metal-age City playset. :getin:

Something to note is that John Harper clarified that if you back at the Tinkerer level I think it's called (the all digital tier that gives you access to the source files) that you'll also receive the Kickstarter exclusive stuff that comes with the hardback tier as well, so if a physical copy isn't 100% necessary for you that might be a more affordable option that doesn't cause you to lose out on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

FMguru posted:

That's a nice compare/contrast between the marketing of 4E and 5E.

4E: Let's do a joint series of videos and podcasts with one of nerd culture's biggest institutions
5E: Let's bring in the "D&D With Pornstars" guy and that expat from Paraguay who rants about The Swine

It's a shame that PA has gone to poo poo recently because they are still doing D&D games once a year at PAX and using 5E but I won't touch any of that with a ten-foot-pole anymore.

Edit: sorry, not "recently" more like "it's come to my attention recently"

• Locked thread