Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
1. Probably not much if at all. Certainly much less than if you'd mistaken him for someone from a different region of Britain.

2. Both accents are built on a fairly strong drawl

3. Gonna need a bit more context there fella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

1. Probably not much if at all. Certainly much less than if you'd mistaken him for someone from a different region of Britain.

2. Both accents are built on a fairly strong drawl

3. Gonna need a bit more context there fella

http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/bogan

The one I saw was in shorts, tank top, and sandals. Had the same haircut as everyone who pulls for Collingwood.

Edit
Vvvv
But I thought the British were supposed to be superior to us colonists?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 19, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ask yourself why bogans dress similar to rednecks, and why rednecks dress how they do, and you have the answer.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Z3n posted:

They're incompetent and you burned the valves by running it so long with such tight valves. Engine swap or ebay another head with valves, hope it's not broken, slap it on and ride away.

Like this is diagnosis 101 and they've dicked it up real good. gently caress 'em, start a thread, DIY it, we'll get ya through.

well God drat it. They had decent Yelp reviews, too. I should resurrect my SV650 at the same time. Is there a way for me to verify that the valves are burnt and it's not actually the stupid CDI box or whatever?

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 19, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nate Falls posted:

Is there a way for me to verify that the valves are burnt and it's not actually the stupid CDI box or whatever?

Compression tester, $20 max. It only takes a tiny chuck out of a valve to make the compression gauge go from 150 psi to 10. I know. :(

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Ola posted:

Compression tester, $20 max. It only takes a tiny chuck out of a valve to make the compression gauge go from 150 psi to 10. I know. :(

I think they said my compression was back up to...80? after the valve adjust. Is that still super bad?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nate Falls posted:

I think they said my compression was back up to...80? after the valve adjust. Is that still super bad?

Terrible.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Like, "wouldn't even start if everything else was working perfectly" terrible?

edit: clarification: like literally impossible to start, or just real unlikely? I wanna know if someone at Atlantis Motors deserves to get punched.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nate Falls posted:

Depends if you are a ballerina of renown or not!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
re: liverpool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpYbK588nB0

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nate Falls posted:

edit: clarification: like literally impossible to start, or just real unlikely? I wanna know if someone at Atlantis Motors deserves to get punched.

Yes

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Is there a good reason I would NOT want to shine my header/exhaust pipes/whateverthefuckyoucallthem on my bike? They're looking a little brown and gross. I want to get some of that Honda waterless bike cleaner and clean my bike , figured doing my exhaust while I'm at it would look sharp.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

They're incompetent and you burned the valves by running it so long with such tight valves. Engine swap or ebay another head with valves, hope it's not broken, slap it on and ride away.

Like this is diagnosis 101 and they've dicked it up real good. gently caress 'em, start a thread, DIY it, we'll get ya through.
If that were an older bike I'd be inclined to give more benefit of the doubt to the shop. We see poo poo coming in our shop all the time that has bad stator AND low compression AND failing CDI AND gummed up carbs and it's really easy not to catch all the poo poo the first time around, especially when sometimes the only way to diagnose one of them is to buy a $600 nonreturnable special order part.

But given it's an 06 it sounds to me like they may have just hosed up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PadreScout posted:

Is there a good reason I would NOT want to shine my header/exhaust pipes/whateverthefuckyoucallthem on my bike? They're looking a little brown and gross. I want to get some of that Honda waterless bike cleaner and clean my bike , figured doing my exhaust while I'm at it would look sharp.

Some cleaners leave residue that smokes/stinks when the exhaust gets hot. Otherwise no; it's designed to resist weather and road grime (not applicable if you have a ducati or similar) so just go to town. Try not to get anything inside the can though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If that were an older bike I'd be inclined to give more benefit of the doubt to the shop. We see poo poo coming in our shop all the time that has bad stator AND low compression AND failing CDI AND gummed up carbs and it's really easy not to catch all the poo poo the first time around, especially when sometimes the only way to diagnose one of them is to buy a $600 nonreturnable special order part.

But given it's an 06 it sounds to me like they may have just hosed up.

This is fair, but also, they probably should have asked when the dude pushed the non-running 80k mile bike into their shop when the last maintenance was done and if it had any problems before it died. Failing to start when hot, never having had a valve adjust, and the rest of it just screams "gently caress, dude, put it out to pasture". The honest thing to do would have been to say "poo poo, man, this thing is beat to hell, find another one for 1200-1800 bucks, and move on with life", because we all know that it's going to be at least 800 bucks in labor just to get to the valve check, pull the head, inspect the valves, and that's definitely not all it needs.

Probably not malicious, but who knows who was doing the work on it, who knows what sort of experience they had, and frankly, it's a little unreasonable to just throw parts at the problem without considering the bigger picture for the rider. I get why that's asking a lot of most dealerships, but still, come on now, you're not gonna get rich soaking the dude who's pushing an 80k mile DR650 into the shop.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
well, gently caress. It's not even a dealership, it's a independent hipster shop.

Also to be fair it's a fairly late model but it's had a hard-rear end life. I bought it and immediately rode it from LA to the arctic circle and back, so it's seen some poo poo.

Still though, now that you mention it, if the original list of problems included "compression: 60psi", I can't believe their first thought was "Oh yeah, we should replace the stator". That sounds like some "There's a jagged bone sticking out of his thigh, let's check his blood work"-level incompetence.

edit/update: I talked to them on the phone, compression was 70 when it came in and now after a valve adjust it's a whopping 85. A cursory google seems to indicate that it should be a minimum of 120.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 20, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nate Falls posted:

well, gently caress. It's not even a dealership, it's a independent hipster shop.

Also to be fair it's a fairly late model but it's had a hard-rear end life. I bought it and immediately rode it from LA to the arctic circle and back, so it's seen some poo poo.

Still though, now that you mention it, if the original list of problems included "compression: 60psi", I can't believe their first thought was "Oh yeah, we should replace the stator". That sounds like some "There's a jagged bone sticking out of his thigh, let's check his blood work"-level incompetence.

edit/update: I talked to them on the phone, compression was 70 when it came in and now after a valve adjust it's a whopping 85. A cursory google seems to indicate that it should be a minimum of 120.

Sunk cost. RIP your bike, but good news - you get to buy a new bike!

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Nate Falls posted:

Hey now, you can't just drop that without linking to your ADVrider thread or something.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Sometimes I wonder if I should just go up to the Yukon Territory if I need dental work and just flag down somebody passing by on a GS.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any vertically challenged goons ride the taller BMW bikes? Looking at a 2015 R1200RT, but I'm 5 foot 6 inches with a 29 inch inseam. I can handle the bike, it just feels uncomfortable to be on my tiptoes and it's pretty much impossible to back up the bike unless I get off and roll it.

The "low" BMW seat might do the trick, I'm just concerned that I'll be losing a lot of seat padding which will come back to bite me in the rear end. (Haha)

Should I just suck it up and get used to being unable to flatfoot it?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

marshmonkey posted:

Any vertically challenged goons ride the taller BMW bikes? Looking at a 2015 R1200RT, but I'm 5 foot 6 inches with a 29 inch inseam. I can handle the bike, it just feels uncomfortable to be on my tiptoes and it's pretty much impossible to back up the bike unless I get off and roll it.

The "low" BMW seat might do the trick, I'm just concerned that I'll be losing a lot of seat padding which will come back to bite me in the rear end. (Haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

marshmonkey posted:

I'm your height but I don't ride a BMW. You do get used to not being able to flatfoot biggerany bikes and I can push my VFR backwards with just one foot down now. It's not always awesome and sometimes you have to get off and push if the terrain is weird but that's life, at least sport bikes are made for people our size.

ETA: Getting really tall boots helps also. I have the Sidi adventure gore-tex boots and I think there're like 2 inches between my foot and the ground, helps a ton.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 20, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

marshmonkey posted:

Looking at a 2015 R1200RT, but I'm 5 foot 6 inches with a 29 inch inseam.
Have you actually sat on one or test rode it? Cause I'm 5'8" with about 30 inseam and I wouldn't want a modern RT. Too tall, too topheavy. I'm a BMW guy but I think I'd go for a GL1500 over a new RT.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

As long as you never have to stop for any reason, seems like a good solution.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Or if you want to stick with beemers, the R-Nine-T has a fairly low seat height. Pretty much any BMW can be made into a tourer because there's so many options for luggage for every drat model.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Pretty much any BMW can be made into a tourer

Proof:

that's my wife's standard Roadster with $75 worth of Craigslist luggage and a universal Emgo bullet fairing. Makes a great touring bike.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Have you actually sat on one or test rode it? Cause I'm 5'8" with about 30 inseam and I wouldn't want a modern RT. Too tall, too topheavy. I'm a BMW guy but I think I'd go for a GL1500 over a new RT.

Yea, I have test ridden it twice now. No problem holding it up at a stop, just makes me feel a bit uneasy (especially 2 up) coming from a bike I can flatfoot no problem. I think some shoe lifts and seat modification would get me most of the way to feeling better about it. The bike didn't feel very top heavy, pretty well balanced really. The suspension and wind protection are awesome, at least compared to my CTX700. My partner really liked it riding pillion.

I already kitted out my CTX to be as touring friendly as possible:

Just looking for something to really soak up the miles, and perform better at freeway speeds + better range. I have to spend most of my time weaving around road imperfections because the suspension isn't that stellar. I like the luxury doodads on the RT too like locking/unlocking all the bags on the bike with one button. The on-the-fly adjustable windscreen is pretty sweet too.

*edit* I'll almost always be two-up, so stuff like the roadster probably isn't going to cut it. The passenger comfort of something like the RT is important.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 20, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You better try out a goldwing before you buy a BMW.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

n8r posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Seriously.

You are the target market. You are the guy honda visualise when they think about who goldwings will sell to.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Hmm, I've sat on a goldwing in the dealership once and it just felt so much like... a car? Maybe I need to actually demo one to get a real feel for it. In terms of long distance 2-up trips, I'm sure it would fit the bill. Just seems so huge and heavy. I'll go take a look at one though.

*edit* the goldwing is 300 lbs heavier than the RT

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 21, 2015

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Proof:

that's my wife's standard Roadster with $75 worth of Craigslist luggage and a universal Emgo bullet fairing. Makes a great touring bike.

Either you broke her, or she really likes her bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I dunno why you wouldn't be buying a K1600GT over a Goldwing.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Z3n posted:

I dunno why you wouldn't be buying a K1600GT over a Goldwing.

Actually, I never even sat on the 1600 because I figured it was the same height as the RT, but according to the specs online it looks like it's a few inches lower. 29.5 compared to the RT's 31.7

I'll have to at least go sit on one to get a feel. Luckily the BMW dealer I've been going to is super laid back about demo rides.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you want a massive bike, you probably want a wing. Better luggage, smoother engine, and most serious benefit over any modern bmw is the weight distribution. Bmws are all tall and top heavy. I know you said you rode one and it felt ok but I just don't believe you. I work on them and test ride them a decent amount and I think they're all a pain in the rear end.

Bmw started prioritizing lean angle and hp numbers in their efi bikes I assume. They moved the engine high up in the frame which ruins the normally great low cg of a boxer. And they rev high now, and generally feel and sound unpleasant. Awful handing at low speed, too. Another thing wings do better.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you want a massive bike, you probably want a wing. Better luggage, smoother engine, and most serious benefit over any modern bmw is the weight distribution. Bmws are all tall and top heavy. I know you said you rode one and it felt ok but I just don't believe you. I work on them and test ride them a decent amount and I think they're all a pain in the rear end.

Bmw started prioritizing lean angle and hp numbers in their efi bikes I assume. They moved the engine high up in the frame which ruins the normally great low cg of a boxer. And they rev high now, and generally feel and sound unpleasant. Awful handing at low speed, too. Another thing wings do better.

YOU SHALL NOT INPUNE THE SOUND OF THE SACRED 6 CYLINDERS.

(Actually I've never heard one outside of youtube videos cause I don't hang out with grandpas so I have no idea but I'd imagine the 6 sounds awesome)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Goldwings feel much lighter than they are, in my experience. They've got a freaky low COG.

Marshmonkey, let me know if you want to sell any of your CTX accessories/baggage/farkles. I've got one and I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm always solo.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Visiting my folks in AZ this weekend. Their neighbor owns a 10 year old goldwing he's going tolet me borrow. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Bmw is constantly trying to come up with new ways for motorcycles to work and redesigning things. Honda has been constantly refining the goldwing for 30+ years.

I'd also be considering the concourse and the fjr. The Yamaha is probably the real bargain choice of the bunch.