Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

don't short a company when it's already low, the time to short was when it was at $80 and it was obvious it would all crumble

I know that but it's at $10 now which just seems so overpriced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qirex posted:

want to short bbry but there's still a chance some other company will buy them for a stupid amount of money

don't short - trade options

much less risky and you can still profit from the mistakes and incompetence of others

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I know that but it's at $10 now which just seems so overpriced

agreed, but it is also more volatile. a rumored buyout could shoot it up on any given day and combined with a short squeeze it could spike it up temporarily for serious pain for you.

this is a better idea:

Munkeymon posted:

don't short - trade options

much less risky and you can still profit from the mistakes and incompetence of others

but when they go private or taken over by Canada you'll lose your bet.

and like I said before, I think the lenders are stripping blackberry for its assets. they will spin off a division holding patents, real estate, and whatever other things of value they have and give it to the lenders and then declare bankruptcy. I wouldn't put my money anywhere near that company.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not even corporatists like Harper or Wynne would advocate nationalization. There's just not enough jobs to be lost to risk alienating their neocon base.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mister Macys posted:

Not even corporatists like Harper or Wynne would advocate nationalization. There's just not enough jobs to be lost to risk alienating their neocon base.

sure, you say that now but what happens when the Canadian government / gouvernement Canadien has to switch to filthy American OS phones?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

8,000 units of the Classic and Passport were sold, which is far fewer than the 2 million to 3 million target that BlackBerry needs in the 2016 fiscal year

you dont loving say

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/03/blackberry-sales-nowhere-close-morgan/

BlackBerry Ltd. managed to sell only 8,000 units of the Classic and Passport

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

sure, you say that now but what happens when the Canadian government / gouvernement Canadien has to switch to filthy American OS phones?

probably a hefty contract to boeing or whatever other company makes GOVERNMENT GRADE phones for ridiculous prices

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

8,000 units? that's basically a rounding error.

since they left it out i would normally immediately think "is that combined units or 8,000 each?" but simce they're talking about blackberrys i already knew the answer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

and is that shipped or sold

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks Ants posted:

and is that shipped or sold

i don't think they even bother shipping phones these days unless they're ordered, retailers probably refuse to stock them

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Management posted:

they'll finally catch up to their constituents?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

i don't think they even bother shipping phones these days unless they're ordered, retailers probably refuse to stock them

Pretty much this. Every comment on the articles about the poor sales are "well how can they sell them when no carriers in town carry them? I had to order mine from BB".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

also means the CEO can't use the "numbers shipped" amount either. :laugh:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
the SecuTablet

what loving idiot thought that was gonna be a good, inviting name for a piece of consumer electronics

it sounds like a loving generic grocery store alka-seltzer knock off

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
i mean gently caress at least get the portmanteau right and call it the securitablet or something jfc

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

i mean gently caress at least get the portmanteau right and call it the securitablet or something jfc

BBRY Safetab.

"It's safe, it's berry safe. So safe you wouldn't believe it." :downsrim:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you say "secutablet" really fast it sounds like "suckytablet"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
really secure things don't have cutesy names FunTab or iPad, they have serious, boring names that imply they are designed for serious business. one could even suggest that they are tools, not toys

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
thinkpad was already taken

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

really secure things don't have cutesy names FunTab or iPad, they have serious, boring names that imply they are designed for serious business. one could even suggest that they are tools, not toys

agreed. certainly a company that rebranded from "Research In Motion" to "BlackBerry" is all about being super serious and their names are super serious

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they probably can't afford to hire a proper branding agency to help them so they just wrote all their ideas on a whiteboard then crossed all the trademarked ones off until secutablet was all that was left

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

qirex posted:

they probably can't afford to hire a proper branding agency to help them so they just wrote all their ideas on a whiteboard then crossed all the trademarked ones off until secutablet was all that was left

According to the book "From those Wonderful Folks that Gave You Pearl Harbor" by Jerry Della Femina, that's literally how big agencies came up with slogans... in the 50s.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
arent they basically implying that all of their other products are insecure

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

arent they basically implying that all of their other products are insecure

ah yes all those other products they sell to actual people like:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

ah yes all those other products they sell to actual people like:

well of course they're not selling dummy, they're not secure anymore

all 28 of those playbook owners should have waited

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

it's this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

agreed. certainly a company that rebranded from "Research In Motion" to "BlackBerry" is all about being super serious and their names are super serious

the truth is simple: they got tired of all the rimjob jokes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rim.jobs doesn't even resolve anymore :smith:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

qirex posted:

They replaced all the signage on all of their buildings in Wateroo. Everything. Those big crane mounted, illuminated ones you put on the side of buildings. Parking signs, logos on office doors, etc. Just to have them all taken down a year later. Oh, did I mention they ow(ed) like 15 buildings?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

rim.jobs doesn't even resolve anymore :smith:

quote this if you checked before this was posted :hfive:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nintendo Kid posted:

i guess the next logical step will be 3d printing the chassis on demand because they havent got the cash to pay for tooling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

and dont worry we still have http://rim.com/jobs

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

quote this if you checked before this was posted :hfive:

I think it's been quite a while since that domain name resolved :(

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

I think it's been quite a while since that domain name resolved :(

i wonder how long that was kept a secret from whatever hr/marketing director though "hmm, this new .jobs domain would be great to snap up to redirect to our careers site!" internally

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

that or it was always a joke from the beginning, whoever is responsible for controlling all domain names in IT grabbed that one as a joke and it persisted for years without anyone high enough to notice/care

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mishaq posted:

high enough to notice/care
getting high enough to not notice/care has been an ambition of mine since i was 12

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
even before the domain came out my old roommate used to get notifications from his uni job board saying "great rim jobs available"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I have the feeling it started out as a joke but became so popular due to being hilarious that they couldn't stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

mishaq posted:

i wonder how long that was kept a secret from whatever hr/marketing director though "hmm, this new .jobs domain would be great to snap up to redirect to our careers site!" internally

:ms:

• Locked thread