Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Oh, "The History of Future Folk" was supremely cheesy. To me for some reason it had the some sort of off-kilter tone as "Safety" I guess. They're not really comparable, but "History" struck the same type of chord (?pun?) with me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Well, I guess I'll need to see History since I found Safety Not Guaranteed pretty disposable.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
History of Future Folk is a cute little movie about 2 guys that just want to play folk music. It doesn't really aspire to be anymore that, and isn't bad way to kill some time if you're looking for something light and inoffensive to watch with the family.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Cable Guy is a pretty good, weird movie and I don't know why it got panned so much when it came out. Watching it again I can only assume it was too dark for what people wanted out of Jim Carey at the time?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Danger 5 is a fun little show on netflix.

NESguerilla posted:

The Cable Guy is a pretty good, weird movie and I don't know why it got panned so much when it came out. Watching it again I can only assume it was too dark for what people wanted out of Jim Carey at the time?

I would consider it one of the best black comedies ever. Really fun film.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does Portlandia ever get any better? I have watched the first five eps of the first season, and as much as I enjoy watching hippies and hipsters get mocked, the show barely makes me smile from time to time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GORDON posted:

Does Portlandia ever get any better? I have watched the first five eps of the first season, and as much as I enjoy watching hippies and hipsters get mocked, the show barely makes me smile from time to time.

I think it's pretty funny, but I think ymmv depending on how much time you have spent around the types of people that they lampoon irl. Practically every character is a spot on parody of someone I've known or run into over the years which is 90% of what makes it funny to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GORDON posted:

It has Fred Armisen in it so no.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Watch the Battlestar Galactica one and see if it does anything for you.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

GORDON posted:

For better or worse, all the seasons are as good as the first 5 episodes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NESguerilla posted:

It's really dry and dark for a Jim Carrey movie of that era, so that's probably why it probably didn't do well. I like it a lot, and I laugh to myself every time I think about the Medieval Times scene.

Speaking of Ben Stiller movies, his magnum opus Zoolander is also on Netflix, and if you haven't seen that one yet, you should. It's an incredibly well-made, hilarious satire of the fashion industry, with some good acting and guest stars to boot. It's a movie I thought was okay the first time around, but after 2 or 3 times I realized I loved it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spoils of Babylon is pretty decent, even if it's not really laugh out loud funny.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Has anyone pointed out that House of Cards just keeps getting worse each season yet?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Wolfsheim posted:

Has anyone pointed out that House of Cards just keeps getting worse each season yet?

Yes, this becomes the topic of the HoC thread every so often.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

America Unearthed makes Ancient Aliens look like a Herzog documentary.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

K. Waste posted:

Well, I guess I'll need to see History since I found Safety Not Guaranteed pretty disposable.

History was cute, I never got around to finishing Safety because I stopped caring. Seemed to much like one of those movies where everyone is such in the same place they started throughout the movie and nothing changes until the end forces an epiphany or catharsis.

GORDON posted:

Does Portlandia ever get any better?

It is pretty hit and miss. I guess if you weren't of a certain age you wouldn't get the character stereotyping- because they are pretty spot on about people I've known and known about.

But those skits wear thin quickly.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Wolfsheim posted:

I got maybe five episodes into this latest one when it dawned on me that almost nothing in the previous episodes was interesting.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

While I agree that House of Cards is declining in quality each season, the first season was so good that there's a long way to go before it's actually bad. Unless you just don't enjoy the thing it's doing, which is fair.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

It (Portlandia)is pretty hit and miss. I guess if you weren't of a certain age you wouldn't get the character stereotyping- because they are pretty spot on about people I've known and known about.

But those skits wear thin quickly.

I am probably slightly older than a certain age, but I get the stereotypes... I have peeps in Seattle and have spent months in San Fran (they hate it when you call it that) and such. I get the jokes. But yeah, the same joke repeated over and over wears thin. Also, I would not hang out with those kinds of people irl because they are weird and annoying, so I don't really want to spend time with them on my TV, either.

I will look for the "Battlestar" episode later today, give it it's last chance to hook me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gilok posted:

While I agree that House of Cards is declining in quality each season, the first season was so good that there's a long way to go before it's actually bad. Unless you just don't enjoy the thing it's doing, which is fair.

For me I don't feel the overall quality has dipped that much, its just that the novelty of the Underwoods as characters has worn off. They felt really fresh in the first season and I wanted to see what they would get up to in each episode but now I feel like I know all of Frank and Claire's tricks. Claire leaving this season may be a good way to shake things up but we won't know that until we see where it goes.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

For me I don't feel the overall quality has dipped that much, its just that the novelty of the Underwoods as characters has worn off. They felt really fresh in the first season and I wanted to see what they would get up to in each episode but now I feel like I know all of Frank and Claire's tricks. Claire leaving this season may be a good way to shake things up but we won't know that until we see where it goes.

I think the main problem with this season is that Frank didn't have a chance to manipulate and cajole people into doing his bidding. Without that the series loses a lot of its charm.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

gmq posted:

I think the main problem with this season is that Frank didn't have a chance to manipulate and cajole people into doing his bidding. Without that the series loses a lot of its charm.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, Frank seemed to have no plan or scheme, just constantly reacting to ever deteriorating conditions. It was sort of disappointing to see that character appear so out of his depth.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

If you're looking for a foreign film fix, there are some two recent additions on Netflix that I really loved from last year:

Force Majeure is an awesomely dark comedy/drama mined from the simplest of situations - a family at a fancy ski resort deal with the fallout of seeing their father panic and leave them for dead in the face of an avalanche that turns out to be nothing. The central performances are great, the resort itself takes on a bit of an Overlook Hotel vibe, and you'll be surprised how funny it is.

The Way He Looks isn't quite as good, but it takes its treacly premise (a coming of age movie about a blind Brazilian teen discovering his homosexuality) and treats it with respect. It's a trifle, but I found it really sweet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Force Majeure is a great movie for those of us who wished that the actual film 28 Weeks Later was just a humorous exploration of the opening scene.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm just a little torn on Force Majeure — the premise is interesting enough that I might've liked a deeper dive instead of just a series of punchlines, even if the joke is a good one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think they made a good choice, because a more serious take on it might have been punishing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think they made a good choice, because a more serious take on it might have been punishing.

Yeah, that's probably a big part of why it works so well. They take you right to the emotional edge before turning things over to farce.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Plus it seems more in line with Northern European filmmaking, not to get all stereotypical, but dark, absurd humor suits it well.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I feel like the film is more than enough of a serious exploration - poo poo is Jungian as gently caress.

But yeah it's hilarious as all get out and I especially love the comedy achieved by camera movement or the lack thereof. "You're the best-looking guy in this bar" was one of the best-directed scenes of last year, which is weird to say for a scene with no cuts and no camera movement other than a slow zoom that starts midway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's serious like Riget is totally serious.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

The drone jump-cut in the middle of a deathly serious conversation is the highlight of the movie for me. I couldn't stop chuckling in surprise.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

Watch the Battlestar Galactica one and see if it does anything for you.

Ok, I laughed at that one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hewlett posted:

Force Majeure is an awesomely dark comedy/drama mined from the simplest of situations - a family at a fancy ski resort deal with the fallout of seeing their father panic and leave them for dead in the face of an avalanche that turns out to be nothing. The central performances are great, the resort itself takes on a bit of an Overlook Hotel vibe, and you'll be surprised how funny it is.

Been wanting to see this for a while, had no idea it was on Netflix. I'll definitely be checking that out this weekend. Thanks for this.

Also, Carrie Brownstein's scream in Portlandia's Battlestar Galactica sketch always makes me laugh. It's just so perfectly timed that I can't help but crack up.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

GORDON posted:

I am probably slightly older than a certain age, but I get the stereotypes... I have peeps in Seattle and have spent months in San Fran (they hate it when you call it that) and such.

I am sorry but Nobody calls San Francisco "San Fran."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Skywalker OG posted:

Yeah, you call it "Frisco" just to watch them squirm.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Skywalker OG posted:

The second time some hipster douche tried to correct me when I said it, I started saying it on purpose in their presence as often as I could. I still do. like now.

San Fran.

San Fran.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Skywalker OG posted:

I do?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

GORDON posted:

The second time some hipster douche tried to correct me when I said it, I started saying it on purpose in their presence as often as I could. I still do. like now.

San Fran.

San Fran.

I've never heard anyone call it that before. Did you make it up?

E: yeah, if you want to piss one of us off the go to is usually Frisco.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 20, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what do people who live there call it? so many syllables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

what do people who live there call it? so many syllables

In Baltimore we call it "the city", or "downtown". If you live outside the city but still in Baltimore County its called "the county". gently caress proper nouns.