Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Martha has a funny shaped head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
drat good TV.... its the mail bot ep next week... really looking forward to that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's no way Martha lives out the end of the season - she's going to die, either by her own hand, murder, or murder that makes it LOOK like she did it with her own hand.

The Center is going to wire money into her account and have her 'mugged' shortly thereafter without telling Philip about it, which will likely send him over the deep end into that screaming fit we saw him having with Gabriel in that "this season" clip. Philip can only stall, but soon they're going to want to know why they're not getting any more primo-level intel from the Bureau's counter-intel division.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, what's the most disturbing scene of the season so far? Luggage lady? DIY dentistry? Or necklacing?

I mean besides Gaad abusing Mail Robot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zoux posted:

Ok, what's the most disturbing scene of the season so far? Luggage lady? DIY dentistry? Or necklacing?

I mean besides Gaad abusing Mail Robot.

Luggage Lady still holds the candle (no pun intended) to Mr. Barbecue. DIY dentistry takes the bronze simply because Liz knew she had to endure it eventually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I knew the necklacing was coming because that was a major thing in the 80's, one of the gory details that resonated with Americans from the fight against Apartheid. But goddamn I was not expecting it to be so disturbing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought the point of necklacing was to fill the tire with gas, not douse the victim completely, so as to make the whole burning to death thing take a lot longer. If you are going to cover them in gasoline then the tire is superfluous and all you need is some duct tape.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zoux posted:

I knew the necklacing was coming because that was a major thing in the 80's, one of the gory details that resonated with Americans from the fight against Apartheid. But goddamn I was not expecting it to be so disturbing.

It does kind of feel like the rest of the episode suffered for it, though. Sort of like they were worried about doing anything more controversial in the fear that it'd get it bounced by even the loose standards of violence on general cable TV.

"Okay, we're burning a dude alive this week, but we can't have him flail and suffer for more than 20 seconds or we'll trigger 'x' number of FCC tripwires."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

withak posted:

I thought the point of necklacing was to fill the tire with gas, not douse the victim completely, so as to make the whole burning to death thing take a lot longer. If you are going to cover them in gasoline then the tire is superfluous and all you need is some duct tape.

Well the first reports of the practice came in a 1985 report so maybe they were perfecting it still.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I usually watch wearing headphones (the kids are asleep) , and with that the necklacing seemed worse than luggage lady. The gasping/gurgling was rough, where as the other was like generic bone-snapping.mp3

I'm surprised there has been absolutely no kimmy the last 2 weeks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ugh this show. It's so hard to watch, on one hand you sympathise with them then it's like nope , they're horrible people. This poo poo with Martha is rough , she's going to die/ get killed/ kill herself and it's going to be horrible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Matthew Rhys was on Archer just now as a Welsh terrorist. He wore a wig and glasses as a disguise.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Gonz posted:

Matthew Rhys was on Archer just now as a Welsh terrorist. He wore a wig and glasses as a disguise.

:psyduck: had no idea

his American accent was hilarious dude

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Gonz posted:

Not only that but he got a Story By credit for the episode.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

qbert posted:

Not only that but he got a Story By credit for the episode.

Timothy Olyphant was the closeted agent that raped Archer a while back. FX obviously likes to incorporate talent into things. Fingers crossed for Billy Crystal making a cameo voice appearance in this season or the next to promote his new show.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Dr.Caligari posted:

I usually watch wearing headphones (the kids are asleep) , and with that the necklacing seemed worse than luggage lady. The gasping/gurgling was rough, where as the other was like generic bone-snapping.mp3

I'm surprised there has been absolutely no kimmy the last 2 weeks

Ugh the wikipedia article on necklacing points out that it's meant to take a long time to die, as long as 20 minutes. So in retrospect I'm glad we got the short gurgling version.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not sure why, but the necklace death on The Shield disturbed me way more.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I decided to look up necklacing on Wikipedia, and came across this:

In 1986 Winnie Mandela, then-wife of the imprisoned Nelson Mandela, stated "With our boxes of matches and our necklaces we shall liberate this country" which was widely seen as an implicit endorsement of necklacing, which at the time caused the ANC to distance itself from her...

:stare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_Madikizela-Mandela#Criminal_convictions_and_findings_of_criminal_behaviour

No wonder he divorced her.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Gonz posted:

I can't wait to watch this tonight.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Man, how is Alison Wright British?! Her American accent is so good.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ufarn posted:

I'm gonna tell you something about Matthew Rhys that will blow your mind.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ufarn posted:

Whaaaa? :aaa:

JohnSherman posted:

I'm gonna tell you something about Matthew Rhys that will blow your mind.

I kind of sort of deliberately avoid hearing any interviews with Rhys for that very reason. I did the same thing with Hugh Laurie when he was playing House. Some comparisons are too jarring.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It does kind of feel like the rest of the episode suffered for it, though. Sort of like they were worried about doing anything more controversial in the fear that it'd get it bounced by even the loose standards of violence on general cable TV.

"Okay, we're burning a dude alive this week, but we can't have him flail and suffer for more than 20 seconds or we'll trigger 'x' number of FCC tripwires."

FCC can only police the airways (i.e. Broadcast TV and radio). So FOX counts but FX can do whatever they want. The cable channels "self-regulate" due to advertising.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

Whaaaa? :aaa:

I kind of sort of deliberately avoid hearing any interviews with Rhys for that very reason. I did the same thing with Hugh Laurie when he was playing House. Some comparisons are too jarring.

He was great in Archer tonight.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

What's the opinion on S3? I have yet to watch this season (they are collecting on my DVR). I don't want to read any spoilers.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
It's great watch it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I did not know they were a pair in real life... That explains some of the on-screen chemistry.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Radiohead71 posted:

What's the opinion on S3? I have yet to watch this season (they are collecting on my DVR). I don't want to read any spoilers.

Probably the best season yet. Genuinely some of the best drama airing at the moment in my opinion.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

wayfinder posted:

I did not know they were a pair in real life... That explains some of the on-screen chemistry.

they? who you responding to?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Shadow posted:

they? who you responding to?

Rhys and Russell started dating in the first season.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Radiohead71 posted:

Best season yet.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I swear Philip is gonna gently caress that robot in the finale

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

This is both a complaint and a compliment for the show, but I think The Americans is the Anti-Dexter in terms of exposition and audience handholding.
They rarely ever blatantly point things out or make things overly obvious which I enjoy. The audience is expected to keep up and be at least somewhat knowledgeable of Cold War history. Russian characters speak Russian with subtitles instead of speaking English in a fake Russian accent.

But on the other hand, I just realized this week that the new FBI guy was named Aderholt and I don't think they mentioned Vasili's name once this episode despite the long gap since his last appearance. Some plotlines take a very long time, like Elizabeth's work on the Northrop employee which has been going since last season. We had one scene furthering that plot last week but it seemed unrelated to the rest of that episode. Other plots move extremely quick as is the case of the whole South African thing, with a lot of people being confused at the end of last week's episode. Characters drop in and out as needed, like Yousaf and Kimmy who haven't been seen in a few episodes now. Hell, the whole Kimmy plotline was introduced through hard-to-hear radio chatter without any subtitles.

All in all I'm glad they do it the way that they do, but I completely understand why a lot of people can't get into the show. I really think this show is perfect for binge-watching, like an extended movie.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The only major flaw with this show was Mr. Exposition at the end of season 2... and it didn't even really make sense.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Baloogan posted:

The only major flaw with this show was Mr. Exposition at the end of season 2... and it didn't even really make sense.

The kid who killed his parents because they didn't want him to be a spy?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ally_1986 posted:

The kid who killed his parents because they didn't want him to be a spy?

The kid who delivered a 2 minute exposition despite bleeding from the throat, yes. I've got to admit, I almost dropped the show entirely over that scene. On the other hand, I'm not sure when else they'd be able to tell the audience, or the Jenningses, about the second-generation illegals.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

The Slate podcast this week had one of the show's stunt coordinators on and he talked about how you douse the guy to hide the gel they use (which makes people look soaking wet), so this is probably just a case of having to tweak the realism around the constraints of TV.

Also, the actor playing the guy they burned apparently saw real-life necklacings :stare:

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

darthbob88 posted:

The kid who delivered a 2 minute exposition despite bleeding from the throat, yes. I've got to admit, I almost dropped the show entirely over that scene. On the other hand, I'm not sure when else they'd be able to tell the audience, or the Jenningses, about the second-generation illegals.

Yea they could have just let him said I killed them die and have Mags explain the rest(which happens anyway?), I was more annoyed by how much his voice changed/sounded weird took me out of the moment thought the over explanation thing is stupid too!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kersch posted:

I swear Philip is gonna gently caress that robot in the finale

Seducing Mail Robot would be pointless now that it's not allowed access to classified material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheerfullydrab posted:

Seducing Mail Robot would be pointless now that it's not allowed access to classified material.

Not to mention it's even younger than Kim

• Locked thread